Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Muscle Shoals
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 15, 2018 18:38

Palace Revolution 2000
Rockman

There's a lotta Fame stuff available but grab this one and soak in it ...
It ain't complete but ya wont believe how good it is .... Hits...unreleased tracks ... rarities ....

In the middle of all this soul I see the Osmonds..LOL ???

Yeah, but one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2018 20:17

This one's for you Palace .............. hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 16, 2018 05:53

UNCUT 251 --- April 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 09:07

snoopy2

Re-introducing myself here.. Was Snoopy, messed up my account, now I'm Snoopy2 (creative huh?)

From Alaska but now in Alabama for at least a year, living here in Florence/Muscle Shoals, home of FAME, Muscle Shoals Sound, and many other recording studios.. But since this is a Stones webpage, thought I'd share this photo..

When Stones recorded those three tunes for Sticky Fingers (Wild Horses, You Gotta Move, Brown Sugar) they stayed at a motel which is no longer. On the old site is now a Hampton Inn, and soon to come, a Taco Bell.. But this recent marker commemorates their stay.

Will post more pics from area soon smiling smiley

Who was the engineer that failed to arrive?

Date: March 16, 2018 09:22

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-16 09:49 by Rockman.

Date: March 16, 2018 10:45

Rockman

UNCUT 251 --- April 2018

Amazing. Rockman, you really should be King of somewhere.

PS Doesn't Bumps Blackwell show up somewhere in the Stones' history?

Date: March 16, 2018 11:31

King of the jungle ????? .... wrestled a black-jungle cat .... mmmmmmmmm and won ...

Bumps .... eeeeeerrrrr cant recall a Stones connection but hey maybe ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 16, 2018 14:16

Rockman
King of the jungle ????? .... wrestled a black-jungle cat .... mmmmmmmmm and won ...

Bumps .... eeeeeerrrrr cant recall a Stones connection but hey maybe ....

My bad - it was 'Pops' Popwell I was thinking of. Bass player for most tracks on Ronnie's 'Gimme Some Neck'.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 16, 2018 16:00

Deltics
Palace Revolution 2000
Rockman

There's a lotta Fame stuff available but grab this one and soak in it ...
It ain't complete but ya wont believe how good it is .... Hits...unreleased tracks ... rarities ....

In the middle of all this soul I see the Osmonds..LOL ???

Yeah, but one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch!

Disc 2, Song 21 - Inspiration for Keith?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 18, 2018 05:37

ROCKMAN

Date: March 18, 2018 05:47

ROCKMAN

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 19, 2018 22:22

Cristiano Radtke
Great photos and stories, Snoopy. Thanks for sharing and keep'em coming. Welcome back! smileys with beer

Thanks!

Couple more pics from Muscle Shoals.. Unfortunately some of my best were on my laptop stolen last summer without back ups.. But a couple on my phone still.

*Shoals Theater downtown, get some great music here still.

*The couch at Muscle Shoals Sound. Was told it's the same one Keith is pictured sitting on from those sessions (who knows, but fun to think so). The couch is against the studio wall right next to bathroom where it's said that Keith locked himself in and finished "Wild Horses"

*Champys Chicken. You can see Travis Wammack was playing that day, small chicken place that gets amazing musicians stop by to play.

I'll try to take some more Stones related pics, but thought y'all might like to see the area!

]shoals theater[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 22:25 by snoopy2.

Date: March 21, 2018 22:13

Someone asked if studios were torn down on another thread (buy/sell/trade) and the answer is no. They have been remodeled, with some of the money coming from Dr. Dre's foundation. There is a gift shop in lobby area and they offer tours all week. Also a few times a year they offer what is called the Swampettes tour (Swampers) where you get on a small bus and tour the area as well as the studio. One of the tour guides is Judy Hood, David Hood's wife. Here is webpage for Studio. If you click under photos there are a couple more pics of the Stones in the studio there:

[www.msmusicfoundation.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-21 22:14 by snoopy2.

Date: March 22, 2018 00:35

Here is webpage for Studio. If you click under photos there are a couple more pics of the Stones in the studio there:

Hey Yeah ....love to see Stones pics but pleeeeze under which photo do ya have to click ??????

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2018 00:37

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2018 01:09

Rockman
Here is webpage for Studio. If you click under photos there are a couple more pics of the Stones in the studio there:

Hey Yeah ....love to see Stones pics but pleeeeze under which photo do ya have to click ??????

Click on the muscle shoals music foundation link in my post and at top of page is a link says "photos" .. There are a bunch of old studio pics there, scroll through and you'll find a couple of the Stones smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2018 01:46

Hey YEAH .... there's Mick and Bill shots that haven't seen before .... Fanks snoopy2...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 22, 2018 02:10

snoopy2
Gregg Allman recorded his last album at FAME studios, I love this album and love fact he recorded it here in town (Don Was produced).

There was a great DVD, too.

BTW, when Boz Scaggs first time saw Les Dudek in Muscle Shoals, his action and appearance had a striking resemblance with Duane Allman.
The moment he found a successor.

Date: March 22, 2018 02:55

Rockman

And here is what it looks like today. Building gone, now a parking lot.. I walked over and took these shots tonight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 02:56 by snoopy2.

Date: March 22, 2018 13:19

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2018 23:21

Annnnnnnnd, here's W.C. Handy, "Father of the blues" statue in downtown park. He was from this area and you can visit his home/cabin he grew up in nearby.

Hard to say who really is the father (or mother) of the blues, but it is safe to say I was introduced to them all because of the Stones.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 29, 2018 19:24

Thanks a lot for the W.C. Handy photo, snoopy2! smileys with beer

Date: July 11, 2018 03:09

Cristiano Radtke
Thanks a lot for the W.C. Handy photo, snoopy2! smileys with beer

You're welcome!

So, interestingly, the "Rolling Stones stayed here while recording in Muscle Shoals" plaque is now missing. The steel post that it was mounted on has been cut, leaving me to wonder if someone boosted it rather than the city moving it somewhere (wouldn't they just dig up the entire post?)

I went to tourism building to ask about it and they had no idea what happened but said they had reached out to the city to see if anyone there knew. Followed up last week and no-one still knows anything, so if a Stones Muscle Shoals plaque ends up on eBay...

(scroll back thru thread to see photo of plaque in question)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 03:11 by snoopy2.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 11, 2018 03:45

I've mentioned this before - but I had the pleasure of showing Rick Hall the movie - "Gimme Shelter." He and his wife loved the Muscle Shoals' scenes. He swears Jimmy and the Swampers stole the Stones from him. It was fascinating watching him watch the movie. He was totally mesmerized.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 11, 2018 05:33

Great stuff, Snoopy2! Keep it comin'!

Date: July 11, 2018 05:47

I had the pleasure of showing Rick Hall the movie - "Gimme Shelter."

Hey man that's ACE … way cooooool ….. way way cool

ROCKMAN

Date: July 13, 2018 04:04

Shawn20
I've mentioned this before - but I had the pleasure of showing Rick Hall the movie - "Gimme Shelter." He and his wife loved the Muscle Shoals' scenes. He swears Jimmy and the Swampers stole the Stones from him. It was fascinating watching him watch the movie. He was totally mesmerized.

Love it! .. You may already know this but Johnny Depp's company is now producing a dramatized mini-series about the live of Rick Hall/ FAME. I don't know if any Stones references will be in it since (as you mention) they recorded across town at Muscle Shoals Sound

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home