Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Muscle Shoals
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 22:34

Re-introducing myself here.. Was Snoopy, messed up my account, now I'm Snoopy2 (creative huh?)

From Alaska but now in Alabama for at least a year, living here in Florence/Muscle Shoals, home of FAME, Muscle Shoals Sound, and many other recording studios.. But since this is a Stones webpage, thought I'd share this photo..

When Stones recorded those three tunes for Sticky Fingers (Wild Horses, You Gotta Move, Brown Sugar) they stayed at a motel which is no longer. On the old site is now a Hampton Inn, and soon to come, a Taco Bell.. But this recent marker commemorates their stay.

Will post more pics from area soon smiling smiley

Re: Muscle Shoals
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 13, 2018 22:59

Hey Man, Welcome to another Bama Stones Guy. I'm right down I65 from you in Bham. I've known about all the folklore up there forever, and for all the times I have headed North, I need to get over there soon...Rock On'

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 13, 2018 23:11

Wow.thumbs up
It's like a place where a President or King; or some hugely significant historical icon would have a statue or placard constructed, noting some earth-shaking, world-changing event.
How totally appropriate.
smileys with beer

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 13, 2018 23:28

Very nice. Thanks!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 13, 2018 23:28

Ha, I stayed across from that Hampton Inn when I was in Florence last year, and had no idea of the site's significance! Cool marker.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 23:57

Just in case someone here missed it - The documentary "Muscle Shoals" is an amazing DVD - full of surprises..cheap too...

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2018 00:13

Pretty sure this is the only shot I've ever seen of Stones
recording at Muscle Shoals Sound studio .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2018 00:25

Rockman

Pretty sure this is the only shot I've ever seen of Stones
recording at Muscle Shoals Sound studio .....

There's a few more out there. I'll try and grab some to put up.. If you ever make it to this area check out Ye Ol' General Store in Florence (just across river from Muscle Shoals) the owner has lots of photos of people recording over the years, including a couple of the Stones.. And yes, check out the documentary Muscle Shoals, fantastic!

Date: March 14, 2018 00:27

BamaStone
Hey Man, Welcome to another Bama Stones Guy. I'm right down I65 from you in Bham. I've known about all the folklore up there forever, and for all the times I have headed North, I need to get over there soon...Rock On'

Look me up when you do make it through here smiling smiley

Date: March 14, 2018 00:28

Awwwww yeah there are a few mixing desk shots etc
in the Sticky Fingers Deluxe box set .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2018 00:35

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 14, 2018 02:42

Haha, I was Quiquestone but had to change to Quique-stone many many moons ago...

Date: March 14, 2018 03:44

Didn't Keith say that the Muscle Shoals sessions were a very positive experience? And that he wished that they could have done some more tracks there? It went very quick and efficient.
Maybe the Stones knew they were "guests", and on their best behavior. I can't recall - was the tour already over? Or were they in between dates? regardless, it seems that they were in motion, and basically had to get it done, and move on. Man - "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" and "Gotta Move".

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 14, 2018 12:54

Love the photo of Stu holding and reading probably the local newspaper.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:48

TheGreek
Love the photo of Stu holding and reading probably the local newspaper.

And saying, "Hey, did you guys know the Rolling Stones were in town"?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 14, 2018 21:59

Palace Revolution 2000
Didn't Keith say that the Muscle Shoals sessions were a very positive experience? And that he wished that they could have done some more tracks there? It went very quick and efficient.
Maybe the Stones knew they were "guests", and on their best behavior. I can't recall - was the tour already over? Or were they in between dates? regardless, it seems that they were in motion, and basically had to get it done, and move on. Man - "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" and "Gotta Move".

First of all, take the tour, it's great.

And don't miss the FAME tour too although that I understand can be hit and miss; being a working studio you only get to see parts that aren't in use at any given time so we didn't get to go into famed studio A which I was kinda pissed about).

Date: March 14, 2018 23:28

kovach

First of all, take the tour, it's great.

And don't miss the FAME tour too although that I understand can be hit and miss; being a working studio you only get to see parts that aren't in use at any given time so we didn't get to go into famed studio A which I was kinda pissed about).

FAME happened to me the first time too, but went back and finally got into main room. Gregg Allman recorded his last album at FAME studios, I love this album and love fact he recorded it here in town (Don Was produced).

Another photo: The Fender amp shot is from corner of Muscle Shoals Sound where the bass usually is. I was told that Bill Wyman actually plugged into this amp for these recordings, which I believe was David Hood's amp at the time.

]bass amp[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 23:28 by snoopy2.

Date: March 14, 2018 23:35

Couple more pics.. Entryway shot is just that, the entryway to our home in Florence/Muscle Shoals.. The KC show when they played "Kansas City!"

Other shot is Tennessee River. Left side is Florence (their motel was just up the road from river), right side is Muscle Shoals/Sheffield where the studios are. Some Deep South Alabama mud blues & rock n' roll!

]entry[/url]

]bridge[/url]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 23:40 by snoopy2.

Date: March 14, 2018 23:48

There's a lotta Fame stuff available but grab this one and soak in it ...
It ain't complete but ya wont believe how good it is .... Hits...unreleased tracks ... rarities ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2018 00:39

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2018 00:45

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2018 00:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 15, 2018 01:01

These are always among my favorite threads to read here. So much to pick up and soak in.

Date: March 15, 2018 01:11

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 15, 2018 01:54

Bob Seger's
Old Time Rock and Roll (George Jackson)
&
Tryin' to Live My Life Without You (Otis Clay)
vividly created an atmosphere akin to the sound of FAME.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 15, 2018 02:52

Great photos and stories, Snoopy. Thanks for sharing and keep'em coming. Welcome back! smileys with beer

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: March 15, 2018 16:17

nice post thanks.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 15, 2018 17:15

Enjoying your pictures Snoopy2... And the history/geography lessons! Until above in the thread, I never realized that the same river that surrounds my neighborhood on three sides also passes through Muscle Shoals. Google Maps says it's 256 miles (4:10) to drive from my house to Muscle Sholes Sound Studios. Looking at the map, the river would be just a bit farther in mileage... No details offered as to how long that trip would take! Sure it's just random trivia, but it's still fun to think about!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 15, 2018 18:05

Rocky Dijon
These are always among my favorite threads to read here. So much to pick up and soak in.

LOL that is exactly what I was going to post. Just looking at Hood's amp...

Date: March 15, 2018 18:05

Rockman

There's a lotta Fame stuff available but grab this one and soak in it ...
It ain't complete but ya wont believe how good it is .... Hits...unreleased tracks ... rarities ....

In the middle of all this soul I see the Osmonds..LOL ???

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home