Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tributes To Ken Dodd
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 13, 2018 01:25

Have I missed something? Nothing here about Ken Dodd?
Ken was to comedy what the Stones are to rock’n’roll except that he added a lot more new material in concert.
By Jove, missus! What a wonderful day for sticking a cucumber up the same old set list!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 01:38 by Harlem Shuffler.

Re: OT: Tributes To Ken Dodd
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 13, 2018 04:13

You haven’t missed anything HS. All hail Knotty Ash! Dicky Mint. And The Diddy Men. His shows were longer than Springsteens. A comedy legend.

“My agent died at 90. I always think he was 100 and kept 10% for himself.”

I remember seeing him in the 60’s. Met him when I was a kid outside the backstage door. Bournemouth I think. Later in the show the support act The Barron Knights performed “Satisfaction” and the lead singer was jumping up and down onstage jabbing a big fake plastic syringe to his backside. Now I must have been a Rolling Stones fan even then, as I was ticked off that the singer was taking the piss out of Mick. Oh well, fond memories, and R.I.P. to The King of Knotty Ash.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 05:15 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2018 16:16

He had a tour lined in April with more stage time than the Stones. Not bad for a 90 year old.
Thats what you call hard working!
I believe that he sold more records in the UK than The Stones in the 60's.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 13, 2018 18:40

jlowe
I believe that he sold more records in the UK than The Stones in the 60's.

Ken Dodd’s “Tears” was the 3rd biggest selling UK single record of the decade. The Beatles came in at 1st and 2nd place. The Stones first appear at 36th place with “The Last Time.”

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 14, 2018 14:41

Nobody else have anything to say? Harlem Shuffler is gob smackedconfused smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:51

Very very sad news.... Possibly the last of the great variety show entertainers, loved an audience, loved to entertain....Saw him perform in the 70s, he was on stage for over 5 hours barring a quick 20 minute break!
RIP Doddy

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:27

Harlem Shuffler

Yes i remember the Diddy men in Knotty Ash when i was a child, we loved the Ken Dodd show.

A comic genius, my parents saw him live many times, he would take an hour to warm up and then go on for another few hours after that. Master of the one liner, wrote new material and carried on performing into his late 80's, incredible. Hey maybe the Stones still have another decade left in them.

RIP Ken Dodd.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 15, 2018 11:05

had the honour of seeing him at a couple of gigs of his over the last 10 years.
So very, very funny. I laughed like a drain.
He hated mean-spirited 'wit', his enduring popularity & longevity was due to his inclusivity & warmth.

Still doing 4-5 hour non-stop gigs at the age of 90.... I doubt there will ever be another like him.
Todays comedians aren't fit to tie his laces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-15 11:06 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 15, 2018 12:10

stone4ever
Harlem Shuffler

Yes i remember the Diddy men in Knotty Ash when i was a child, we loved the Ken Dodd show.

A comic genius, my parents saw him live many times, he would take an hour to warm up and then go on for another few hours after that. Master of the one liner, wrote new material and carried on performing into his late 80's, incredible. Hey maybe the Stones still have another decade left in them.

RIP Ken Dodd.
s....

Yes lets hope so. Only one major difference: The Stones aren't writing NEW material any more!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home