Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Budokan 2003 revisited
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 10, 2018 06:07

Fifteen years ago today and the only time The Rolling Stones played this iconic venue to date.

Prior to the show, there was an insider information around that it was likely to be neither an arena show nor a theatre show — it would be something between, a new category, so to speak. As it turned out, indeed it was. A unique setlist that never saw itself repeated on any other date of the Licks Tour, before or since.

Looking back I think to myself — setlist whining has been all too common among fans throughout the years, but this had a potential for an ideal setlist that could have satisfied casual fans and the hardcore alike, if the group had developed it along the way for the future arena — and even stadium — shows. The balance between the warhorses and the deep cuts is just right.

The Setlist:
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Live With Me
4. Let It Bleed
5. No Expectations
6. Rocks Off
7. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
8. Worried About You
9. Midnight Rambler
10. Slipping Away
11. Before They Make Me Run
12. Start Me Up
13. It's Only Rock'n Roll
14. Rock Me Baby
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16. Honky Tonk Women
17. Tumbling Dice
18. Brown Sugar
19. Satisfaction (encore)

Re: Budokan 2003 revisited
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 10, 2018 07:46

Tracks 1 to 15 pretty good.Tracks 16 to 19 could have been better chosen.Maybe Shine a light,Rough justice,Flip the switch and Around and around.

Saying that I would have settled for their choices if I had been there.Wish I had.

Visited the Budokan many years back ,purely as a tourist who was in the area at the time.Dylan's classic live album,Live at the Budokan got me curious about the place.Remember feeling under whelmed by the exterior.

Got a bootleg on cd somewhere,this has made me what to listen to it again!Cheers.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: March 10, 2018 10:52

They’d have done well to play Rough Justice in 2003!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 10, 2018 11:15

See what a great setlist it can be without Sympathy?

Date: March 10, 2018 11:33

You can’t always get what you want.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 13:33

Good senlist would be very happy with that

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 10, 2018 14:07

The Licks tour had quite a few nice setlist.
Songwise most interesting tour of their later years.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 11, 2018 00:27

Is that setlist really that unique? I feel like all of those songs are on the Licks DVD that includes an arena, stadium and theater show so its not like there's anything new. I guess the uniqueness is the fact that its maybe the only combo of those sets, given the in between venue? Either way its a cool set but I always enjoyed the 3 Licks tour setlists. Agreed that it was their most variety and the closest they got to truly being unpredictable I'd argue. They did a fairly good job representing 40 years at that point.

Date: March 11, 2018 03:55

RollingFreak
I guess the uniqueness is the fact that its maybe the only combo of those sets, given the in between venue?

That is the point. As you say, the Budokan was unique in that it was most likely the only arena show (the capacity of the venue’s concert setting is 12,000, more or less) on the Licks World Tour that took in a good number of theatre-exclusive songs. In other word, the setlist combined arena and theatre shows.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: March 11, 2018 05:04

24FPS
See what a great setlist it can be without Sympathy?

and no Miss You!

Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 05:51

I was at that show. It was great to see the band in a relatively small venue -- much better than Tokyo Dome. My favorite of that year was the first gig at the Point in Dublin -- a fantastic crowd. Pity there aren't any videos of that one.

Date: March 11, 2018 05:59

I didn’t miss it.

And I am sure many posters here wouldn’t, either...including you.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: One song that you never want to see them play live again Posted by: soundboard () Date: August 23, 2013 03:18
Miss You would not be missed..

Date: March 13, 2018 17:31

Thanks for reminding me of that Flairville.
I dug out the cd bootleg the other day,entitled Missing Jewels.Managed to listen to some of it on the drive to work."Worried about you" really stood out,great vocals by Mick on this.Love the falsetto.

Date: March 13, 2018 17:35

Let's watch it!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 13, 2018 18:48

stargroover
I dug out the cd bootleg the other day,entitled Missing Jewels.Managed to listen to some of it on the drive to work."Worried about you" really stood out,great vocals by Mick on this.Love the falsetto.

The Budokan performance of "Worried About You" might be the best for Jagger's lead vocals since El Mocambo.

Unfortunately,Ronnie Wood has done better on other versions.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 13, 2018 19:53

Winning Ugly VXII
stargroover

The Budokan performance of "Worried About You" might be the best for Jagger's lead vocals since El Mocambo.

Unfortunately,Ronnie Wood has done better on other versions.
Check out the Stones playing Radio City Music Hall 3/2006 when the roadie wheeled out the Fender Rhoades Electric Piano and Mick Jagger sat behind the Ivories and played Worried About You , it was fantastic !

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 13, 2018 21:21

CousinC
The Licks tour had quite a few nice setlist.
Songwise most interesting tour of their later years.

One of my all time favorite later day Stones shows was the one I caught on the Licks tour in Philly (no I was not fortunate enough to get into the smaller Tower Theatre gig), but I did catch the 2nd stop at the First Union Center arena which was excellent! The Stones played a mini-set from Let It Bleed including Love In Vain & Monkey Man-and later on the show I was rewarded (after 30 years) with Can't You Hear Me Knocking! I would rate this as being in the top 5 of Stones shows that I saw.

Date: March 14, 2018 10:49

DandelionPowderman thanks for posting the link to the concert footage.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 14, 2018 12:25

I remember I was in toilet for some reason while they played Slipping Away.smiling smiley
But because Budokan was historical architecture and sound leakage to toilet was so loud, it was oki-doki

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 14, 2018 12:29

Toru A
I remember I was in toilet for some reason while they played Slipping Away.smiling smiley
But because Budokan was historical architecture and sound leakage to toilet was so loud, it was oki-doki

Ha ha. I'm usually there when they play Miss You.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 14, 2018 23:24

Ah 15 years ago.... They looked so young back then.....grinning smiley

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home