Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Southampton England UK travel and show info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 9, 2018 15:16

Please post all your comments, questions and info regarding the Rolling Stones No Filter Tour 2018 in Southampton England UK here.

Tue May 29, 2018
St Mary's Stadium
Southampton, England, UK

Southampton meeting place for IORR fans:

The Standing Order - 30 High St
[www.jdwetherspoon.com]

The shows in Southampton and Coventry were confirmed officially Monday March 12 at 5pm GMT.
Ticket sales: Presales at 9am GMT, Tuesday 13th March. General on sale is Thursday 15th March 9am GMT.
For details see RollingStones.com/tickets:

[www.rollingstones.com]

Bjornulf

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-26 20:00 by bv.

Re: Southampton England UK travel and show info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 9, 2018 15:23

The gig will take place 55 years after the 1960s hit makers first visited Southampton.

[www.dailyecho.co.uk]

Bjornulf

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:11

I can confirm that this was being considered way back in September when the band was looking for some "smaller" stadiums and to give some wider geographic coverage. So pleased it looks like happening.

This just arrived on the local newspaper:

[www.dailyecho.co.uk]

I lived in Southampton from the middle of 1964 until 1968 - far too young to see them play there back in '64, but I do remember some of the TV coverage from those days.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 21:15

For once I can do my bit. After accommodation and/or travel, the first thing any Stones fan needs to know is what pubs to go to...

Platform Tavern - good food and beer and regular live blues/roots music. Walking distance from the gig and frequented by lots of local musicians. Built within the medieval walls of Southampton. [www.platformtavern.com]

Dancing Man - pub in what used to be the Wool House (14th century) with their own brewery making excellent American style IPA and other beers. Just up the road from Platform Tavern. [www.dancingmanbrewery.co.uk]

Caskaway - micro pub selling interesting beers and on the way to St Mary's from the above pubs. [www.caskaway.pub]

I'm not sure what to recommend as I don't have to stay in Hotels here. However, the White Star Tavern is meant to be very good from what I've heard.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 10, 2018 01:36

Tickets for the new shows will go on sale at 5pm on Monday, May 12.

[www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 10, 2018 14:04

Lien

[www.standard.co.uk]

5pm is a rather unusual time, isn't it? I'm not sure about the date either - since that would mean no fan-presale etc.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 10, 2018 15:11

slewan
Lien

[www.standard.co.uk]

5pm is a rather unusual time, isn't it? I'm not sure about the date either - since that would mean no fan-presale etc.

Presale March 14. General sale March 16. I mentioned this a few days ago, as i gor a reply from TM UK to my mail.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 15:58 by corriecas.

Date: March 10, 2018 17:32

If you have already used your code for one of the gigs previously announced can you also use it for these additional dates?

Date: March 10, 2018 17:35

sjs12
If you have already used your code for one of the gigs previously announced can you also use it for these additional dates?

i am not sure.
wait for the official announcement, i think.
Jeroen

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: March 10, 2018 18:35

Any 'Daily Echo' frontpage with the Stones? Thanks

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 10, 2018 18:50

This show along with Coventry will be fantastic - possibly the highlights of the tour depending on the bands performances.
At apprx. 40,000 capacity, both of these "intimate" venues are the smallest on the tour compared to 80,000+ at several other locations.
If I was going to any, these would be at the top of my list. Have fun to all who are attending!!! thumbs up

Date: March 10, 2018 19:18

Hairball
This show along with Coventry will be fantastic - possibly the highlights of the tour depending on the bands performances.
At apprx. 40,000 capacity, both of these "intimate" venues are the smallest on the tour compared to 80,000+ at several other locations.
If I was going to any, these would be at the top of my list. Have fun to all who are attending!!! thumbs up

thanks Hairball, i intend to get a good (PIT) ticket for one or the other.
jeroen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 11, 2018 02:38

The cool things about these gigs are the history the areas have with the band and how long its been since they played there. Makes them good ones to be at for sure. Wouldn't get over-sold on the "intimacy" factor though. While certainly more of a factor if your going to be in the stands perhaps, otherwise not much difference.

Zip Code tour was a football stadium tour with most having much larger capacities than the two baseball parks on the tour (40k).. Went to both ballparks and also places like Buffalo and festival in Quebec and difference was minimal to non-existent if on the field. In fact the QC (100k+) show was a more "intimate" concert for me than Detroit. San Diego ball park was cooler, but primarily because of the city and being the opener. Best part of following the tour for a bit (besides the shows) is seeing and experiencing the cities and the people,there are no shortage of great ones this tour.

Date: March 11, 2018 07:22

The difference is Petco Park in San Diego is an odd shaped baseball stadium with multi-levels rising up to the stratosphere and horrible sightlines way off to the sides while St. Mary's stadium in Southampton and Ricoh Arena in Coventry are rectangular fields with only one level of seats - much more intimate than San Diego was. And while I do enjoy outdoor stadium shows and all they have to offer, generally speaking I'm of the belief that for Stones shows (or any shows for that matter) the smaller the venue better, and the less people the better which in this case and for this tour will be Southampton and Coventry. Factor that in with the ease of getting in and out (because of less people), and it's an all around more intimate setting with much more camaraderie amongst those in attendance. These two venues have the smallest capacity, even up to half less than some others on the list, and both cities are fantastic and filled with tons of history. Having been to giant Twickenham and some of the other larger stadium/arenas of the upcoming tour, I'd want to keep it as small as possible if given the choice, and Southampton and Coventry would be my personal preference over all of them. They will be outdoor stadium shows with all the bells and whistles, but with a much more intimate atmosphere.

corriecas
Hairball

thanks Hairball, i intend to get a good (PIT) ticket for one or the other.
jeroen

That would be the way to a go for shows like these - have a great time! thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 07:34 by Hairball.

Date: March 11, 2018 13:25

smiling smiley Almost too easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 14:33 by MisterDDDD.

Date: March 11, 2018 15:38

thinking about spending a day extra, walking around in the New Forest area..
Jeroen

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 11, 2018 16:01

corriecas
Jeroen

Do it that's a very nice area.

Nate

Date: March 11, 2018 17:20

MisterDDDD

You should try to make either of these "intimate shows" (Southampton and Coventry) - good candidates for best of the tour depending on how well the band perform.

Nate
corriecas
Jeroen

Nate

Yes it's beautiful, and you might even run in to Mick whose known to love nature and communicating with trees. smiling smiley

Date: March 11, 2018 17:27

bv
The gig will take place 55 years after the 1960s hit makers first visited Southampton.

[www.dailyecho.co.uk]

"The iconic rock group first wowed crowds in the city on September 29, 1963, when they played Southampton’s Gaumont, now better known as The Mayflower theatre".

Wow, I was only two and a half months old. Imagine seeing the Stones here at the beautiful Gaumont aka Mayflower Theater!

Could happen again some day?

Date: March 11, 2018 17:39

Hairball
MisterDDDD

You should try to make either of these "intimate shows" (Southampton and Coventry) - good candidates for best of the tour depending on how well the band perform.

Nate
corriecas
Jeroen

Nate

Yes it's beautiful, and you might even run in to Mick whose known to love nature and communicating with trees. smiling smiley

That would be nice, hahaha
Jeroen

Date: March 11, 2018 17:45

so, according to the newspaper, ticketsales starting March 15 !!
Boy, gonna pour a glass of wine and play some loud Stones Music !!

Just changed my bookings and put in for another night in Hampshire. Great !!
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 18:03 by corriecas.

Date: March 11, 2018 18:02

corriecas
corriecas

Would love to. Not able to break away that early unfortunately.
Very glad for you and those that can though. Definitely be watching the 'scopes.
Looking forward to Edinburgh, hopefully a meet-up there to discuss smileys with beer

Date: March 11, 2018 18:13

Yeah MisterDDDD, would like to have a drink with you in Edinburough.
Gonna be a great gig. Maybe a drink near edinburough castle??
jeroen

Date: March 11, 2018 18:21

corriecas
so, according to the newspaper, ticketsales starting March 15 !!
Boy, gonna pour a glass of wine and play some loud Stones Music !!

Just changed my bookings and put in for another night in Hampshire. Great !!
Jeroen

Tickets should be relatively easy to purchase since all the other UK dates have been on sale - less stress!

As for Edinburgh, some great pubs at the base of the castle in the Grassmarket Square lined up one after another- The Last Drop is a great one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 18:22 by Hairball.

Date: March 11, 2018 18:38

Thanks Hairball. Even might go for a LD for Coventry...
Jeroen

Date: March 11, 2018 20:48

corriecas
Jeroen

If you can book a hotel in Brockenhurst you have a good chance of getting a late train back.

Date: March 11, 2018 20:57

sjs12
corriecas
Jeroen

If you can book a hotel in Brockenhurst you have a good chance of getting a late train back.
Thanks
jeroen

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:20

Southampton is also close to Winchester - where I live. A great place to visit (recently voted best place to live in the UK). Only 15 mins by train from Southampton. Winchester was the ancient capital of England. Stones last played there in 1963.

Date: March 12, 2018 10:11

Ok, Thanks John. Might go there also.
Jeroen

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 12, 2018 14:03

I really doubt that tickets will go on sale on ther very same day the show is officially announced

planetrock says tickets will go on sale on Thursday, see: [www.planetrocktickets.co.uk]

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home