Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Keith Richards live at the Love Rocks NYC benefit concert on March 15
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 22, 2018 09:37

If you listen to the guitars on the title track Dirty Work they are great, they ring hard and true with Keith and Ronnie interlocking nicely.

As Rocky said above its the lyrics that let this album down, also Mick lets down some tracks with his aggressive bark like singing.

I think this was Keith's album and Mick was reluctant to do any more than the minimum to help it. Their fall out was so bad at this time that i think Mick resented his own band to the point that it effected him creatively.

If you look at the credits Keith had people like Bobby Womack and Steve Jorden helping him, Mick had obviously gone AWOL.

Stonehearted you just nailed the problem with ABB. "The over compression just squeezes the dynamics right out of the music".

BTW where can i find the pre-production mixes of Steel Wheels ?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 22, 2018 09:54

DandelionPowderman
His playing was good. I was surprised that he had a stab at Make No Mistake again, as there are a few intricate chords in there - but he did fine.

Would have been too much to see him play Heartstopper, but could have played Trouble instead of Happy....

Date: March 22, 2018 10:28

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
His playing was good. I was surprised that he had a stab at Make No Mistake again, as there are a few intricate chords in there - but he did fine.

Would have been too much to see him play Heartstopper, but could have played Trouble instead of Happy....

My thoughts exactly, this was an opportunity to play a song off of Crosseyed Heart.
Not sure i understand Keith anymore, i'm very sad to say.

I'm still pissed that he hasn't played one single song live from that incredible album. Weird.

The most frustrating thing is that unlike Mick, Keith still has his voice intact , i'd go so far as to say when it comes to ballads Keith's voice is as good as ever. Come on Keith lets have an album of ballads and old standards and take them to the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 10:34 by stone4ever.

Date: March 22, 2018 10:35

stone4ever
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

My thoughts exactly, this was an opportunity to play a song off of Crosseyed Heart.

I'm still pissed that he hasn't played one single song live from that incredible album. Weird.

It might have something to do with how CH was put together.

If he recorded it by doing it in spurts, putting small pieces together, he might not have the songs under his skin.

However, how hard can it be to do a song like Robbed Blind or Nothing On Me? smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2018 10:57

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

If he recorded it by doing it in spurts, putting small pieces together, he might not have the songs under his skin.

However, how hard can it be to do a song like Robbed Blind or Nothing On Me? smiling smiley

Being such a Keith fan i struggle to work out what's going on really, creatively his work with Mick has come to a standstill.(especially in the last 13 years.) He makes the effort to do 15 shows once or twice a year with the Stones playing the same songs, while he turns his back on so many songs he has never played live before, not just on CH but also songs like You Don't Move Me from TIC, even Stones numbers like Coming own Again.

I think people love Keith enough to follow him on a bit of a journey, even if that journey takes him into a different direction. He's too old to convincingly pull off the energetic full tilt blistering Riffmaster Keith of the past. Its a let down if anything watching him try to play SFTD and IORR, i don't think his heart is in it anymore.

Don't get me wrong i love Keith but as a live artist i think Keith has missed some fantastic opportunities over recent years to show that other side of his talents. He really can pull off the slow songs, he has the charisma to deliver these songs like no other, i just don't think he has the confidence to know this himself or to accept that there is an audience waiting for a more mature delivery from Keith.

He's been banging on for 30 years about wanting this thing to grow up , well Keith do just that, let this thing grow up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 11:08 by stone4ever.

Date: March 22, 2018 11:09

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

Being such a Keith fan i struggle to work out what's going on really, creatively his work with Mick has come to a standstill.(especially in the last 13 years.) He makes the effort to do 15 shows once or twice a year with the Stones playing the same songs, while he turns his back on so many songs he has never played live before, not just on CH but also songs like You Don't Move Me from TIC, even Stones numbers like Coming own Again.

I think people love Keith enough to follow him on a bit of a journey, even if that journey takes him into a different direction. He's too old to convincingly pull off the energetic full tilt blistering Riffmaster Keith of the past. Its a let down if anything watching him try to play SFTD and IORR, i don't think his heart is in it anymore.

Don't get me wrong i love Keith but as a live artist i think Keith has missed some fantastic opportunities over recent years to show that other side of his talents. He really can pull off the slow songs, he has the charisma to deliver these songs like no other, i just don't think he has the confidence to know this himself or to accept that there is an audience waiting for a more mature delivery from Keith.

He did You Don't Move Me on the 1988-tour (check it out from the 8:00-mark in the video). Coming Down Again was special and personal to him, and if memory serves he said it would never be performed live ever. Can't remember when, and in which setting that was said, though..

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 22, 2018 11:17

Wow thanks man, never heard that before, trouble is he forgot the words lol winking smiley

That's Keith, but he sounds vocally strong here, nice, gets into the grove towards the end. Had he played it more than once this could have been amazing.

T & A Rocks thumbs upsmoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 11:19 by stone4ever.

Date: March 22, 2018 11:21

stone4ever
Wow thanks man, never heard that before, trouble is he forgot the words lol winking smiley

That's Keith, but he sounds vocally strong here, nice, gets into the grove towards the end. Had he played it more than once this could have been amazing.

Waddy is rusty on it, too. In the beginning he's out of it and it makes the beat turn completely around. Jordan handled it well smiling smiley

I think he played it more than once, but I'm not completely sure.

Date: March 22, 2018 11:25

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever

Waddy is rusty on it, too. In the beginning he's out of it and it makes the beat turn completely around. Jordan handled it well smiling smiley

Pity, maybe Waddy put Keith off his stride there, it might have ended up on the video otherwise, don't understand why T & A didn't make the cut though.

Date: March 22, 2018 11:35

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman
stone4ever

Pity, maybe Waddy put Keith off his stride there, it might have ended up on the video otherwise, don't understand why T & A didn't make the cut though.

Keith sounded a bit coked out on T+A. Good one, but the vocals were perhaps a bit over the top? I like it anyway smiling smiley

Listening to It Means A Lot now. Fantastic playing from Keith thumbs up I always loved that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 11:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 22, 2018 12:48

Yes Dande, he's cooking the hell out of It Means A Lot, i love this band.
Great fun version of I Wanna Be Your Man too.smoking smiley

Didn't some of the Wino's get together with Keith for the documentary Johnny Depp was making on Keith.

Wonder if any of that footage will ever see the light of day.
It's looking like they definitely had a fall out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 12:59 by stone4ever.

Date: March 22, 2018 14:31

[www.youtube.com]

Don't worry Mr. Charisma has a couple tricks left.....thumbs up

Date: March 22, 2018 15:19

Maindefender
[www.youtube.com]

Do you know what, i believe that to be true, Keith the old devil, just might have one or two amazing trick's left that he's saving for the end winking smiley

But my worry is that father time is running out for Keith, it's like this year or never.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 22, 2018 15:32

stone4ever
Didn't some of the Wino's get together with Keith for the documentary Johnny Depp was making on Keith.

Waddy was at the March 2013 session in LA that included Larry Taylor, Jim Keltner, Johnny Depp, Ian McLagan and Doug Pettibone.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 22, 2018 16:05

Date: March 22, 2018 16:26

stone4ever
Maindefender
[www.youtube.com]

Do you know what, i believe that to be true, Keith the old devil, just might have one or two amazing trick's left that he's saving for the end winking smiley

But my worry is that father time is running out for Keith, it's like this year or never.

Hopefully Father time is friendlier than brother Mick......

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 22, 2018 16:41

That's the second time I find myself wondering if our own bye bye johnny is Doug Pettibone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 16:46 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: March 22, 2018 16:45

Rocky Dijon
bye bye johnny
Waddy was at the March 2013 session in LA that included Larry Taylor, Jim Keltner, Johnny Depp, Ian McLagan and Doug Pettibone.

[iorr.org]

Wasn't there a pedal steel player at the session as well? I wonder who it was?

Larry Campbell?

Spooner Oldham as well, or am I mixing that up with another session?

Date: March 22, 2018 16:48

Doug Pettibone was on pedal steel, but you're right, there was a session with Spooner Oldham and Larry Campbell. Probably where "Lover's Plea" was cut unless there were other sessions with them.

Date: March 22, 2018 16:49

Different session(s) in NYC.

Date: March 22, 2018 16:51

Rocky Dijon
That's the second time I find myself wondering if our own bye bye johnny is Doug Pettibone.

Nope. Wonder no more.

Date: March 22, 2018 17:34

Well, do you have a Connection, johnny, or are you just one of us?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:27

stone4ever
BTW where can i find the pre-production mixes of Steel Wheels ?

Can't remember where I got mine, a mail order source.

There are two versions out there.

One is the sessions, that's Training Wheels.

Then there's the pre-production "monitor mixes": that's Steel Wheels Outtakes.

In the "monitor mixes", where the band is in the room and you hear them jamming away with none of those overdubs from the album, the material seems stronger -- even Mixed Emotions has a spirit to it, with an extended guitar solo.

All the tracks have a warmth to them, something the sterile 80s production managed to suppress.

Date: March 22, 2018 19:15

OMG you guys, just got in, so much information, this will take time to consume thumbs up

Date: March 22, 2018 19:18

Rocky Dijon

Whoever he is he loves Keith, i used to think he was Jane Rose lol.

How does he always get to be there confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 19:19 by stone4ever.

Date: March 22, 2018 19:58

Maindefender
stone4ever
Maindefender
[www.youtube.com]

Hopefully Father time is friendlier than brother Mick......

With a friend like Mick, Keith can't deal with enemy's winking smiley

Keith once said he couldn't warm to him if he was cremated next to him haha

Oh wait a minute that might of been Chuck.

Date: March 22, 2018 20:46

stone4ever
Rocky Dijon

How does he always get to be there confused smiley

Hey bye bye Johnny , i recon you are aware and appreciate Keith's 77' and 81' sessions , the Toronto sessions and the long View Farm demos, that's the real Keith.

Did you only pick up on Keith in the last 30 years or so or are you one of us lol.

This touches the heart. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 20:54 by stone4ever.

Date: March 22, 2018 22:51

Rocky Dijon
Doug Pettibone was on pedal steel, but you're right, there was a session with Spooner Oldham and Larry Campbell. Probably where "Lover's Plea" was cut unless there were other sessions with them.

Ah, Campbell is doing a mean Wonderful Tonight on Robbed Blind grinning smiley

Date: March 22, 2018 22:55

stone4ever
Rocky Dijon

How does he always get to be there

> [iorr.org] <

Date: March 22, 2018 23:31

Well, I'm glad bye bye johnny walks among us even if he or she wishes to remain masked and anonymous.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home