Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Keith Richards - Love Rocks NYC, March 15
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 21, 2018 05:05

bye bye johnny
"Happy" - thanks to godslovewedeliver.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, bye bye johnny! smileys with beer

Re: Keith Richards live at the Love Rocks NYC benefit concert on March 15
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: March 21, 2018 14:08

Keith's looking and sounding pretty good!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 21, 2018 15:06

A while ago KR said he’d not had a drink since Xmas which obviously I took with a massive pinch of salt. However looking at this he looks so healthy maybe he has managed to stay off the sauce. Which is great for the upcoming tour.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2018 16:23

I don't feel I am in a position to judge the quality of Keith's guitar work (bearing in mind singing AND playing does present challenges).....but any views as to the level of his performance on the night?
(Though of course by now he should be able to play Happy in his sleep).

Date: March 21, 2018 16:35

His playing was good. I was surprised that he had a stab at Make No Mistake again, as there are a few intricate chords in there - but he did fine.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 21, 2018 17:08

DandelionPowderman
His playing was good. I was surprised that he had a stab at Make No Mistake again, as there are a few intricate chords in there - but he did fine.

I like to hear a soundboard isolated track....smoking smiley

Date: March 21, 2018 17:20

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

Well, the start of MNM gave you an indication, as Jordan was playing with brushes and Keith played the only guitar smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 21, 2018 18:02

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

Well, the start of MNM gave you an indication, as Jordan was playing with brushes and Keith played the only guitar smiling smiley

And it sounded spot on thumbs up In addition really curious during the phrases in the last minute

Date: March 21, 2018 18:06

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

And it sounded spot on thumbs up In addition really curious during the phrases in the last minute

Me too smiling smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 21, 2018 18:13

A lot of warmth in his vocals and performance, and he translates that soulful vibe to his guitar playing.

On Make No Mistake, he made no mistake -- which is surprising given latter day shows with the Stones.

Maybe he's just worn out that old formula and does better as a Tom Waits type solo act.

With the right supporting players, Keith is really still pretty viable as a performer.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 21, 2018 18:20

I never expected "Make No Mistake" again so that was a treat. Keith played great when he played. Like most shows in the last dozen years since his brain surgery, he doesn't often do both at once any more. "Happy" impressed me for how closely the opening sounded like the original studio track. It wasn't the standard live version. He had the right tone. I haven't felt that chill since Pearl Jam backed Mick on "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" six years ago. There was a real effort to nail it with careful selection of instrument, tone, and amp. There have been plenty of electrifying performances over the last six years since 50 AND COUNTING started, but those ones stand out for trying hard to recapture the sound of the original record.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 21, 2018 18:28

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman

Me too smiling smiley

I've always thought Keith was still capable of doing some solo dates with the Wino's, he can clearly still sing and play guitar to a level that he could pull it off.
In recent years it's been said by certain posters that Keith can't sing and play anymore, they truly believe he is past it. I'm not so sure, with lots of practice i think Keith is still capable of undertaking a small tour, maybe 15 to 20 dates or something similar to what the Stones are delivering.

I just wondered Dande if you think Keith is still up to undertaking a tour as a solo artist , and also wondered why Keith failed to play any tracks from Crosseyed Heart at the time of its release.

We got little glimpses of Keith in the Under The Influence documentary but that sadly was about it.

Date: March 21, 2018 18:32

Rocky Dijon
I never expected "Make No Mistake" again so that was a treat. Keith played great when he played. Like most shows in the last dozen years since his brain surgery, he doesn't often do both at once any more. "Happy" impressed me for how closely the opening sounded like the original studio track. It wasn't the standard live version. He had the right tone. I haven't felt that chill since Pearl Jam backed Mick on "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" six years ago. There was a real effort to nail it with careful selection of instrument, tone, and amp. There have been plenty of electrifying performances over the last six years since 50 AND COUNTING started, but those ones stand out for trying hard to recapture the sound of the original record.

smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 21, 2018 19:10

Happy was exquisite thanks in large part to the all star backing musicians, and Keith's vocals and playing are spot on.
They were locked in the groove, and there was a subtlety that seems to be lacking when he plays it with the Stones the last decade or so where it becomes sort of a circus-like celebration. Not knocking Ronnie, but at times (not always) that slide he plays during Happy is a bit outlandish - even when he hit's most of the right notes. As for Keith, he might feel a bit more pressure when he performs it in front of tens of thousands with the Stones these days - in the spotlight/under the microscope and carrying the load, whereas here he was a bit more loose yet in a functional way, and backed by some all around great musicians. One of the best - if not the best - latter day versions of Happy I can recall. All he needed was Mick on backup vocals and it would have been perfect...

Date: March 21, 2018 19:37

Hairball
Happy was exquisite thanks in large part to the all star backing musicians, and Keith's vocals and playing are spot on.
They were locked in the groove, and there was a subtlety that seems to be lacking when he plays it with the Stones the last decade or so where it becomes sort of a circus-like celebration. Not knocking Ronnie, but at times (not always) that slide he plays during Happy is a bit outlandish - even when he hit's most of the right notes. As for Keith, he might feel a bit more pressure when he performs it in front of tens of thousands with the Stones these days - in the spotlight/under the microscope and carrying the load, whereas here he was a bit more loose yet in a functional way, and backed by some all around great musicians. One of the best - if not the best - latter day versions of Happy I can recall. All he needed was Mick on backup vocals and it would have been perfect...

I am knocking Ronnie, i would go so far as to say i can't stand to listen to Ronnie's pedal steel on Happy, its horrible to my ears.

Date: March 21, 2018 19:44

stone4ever
Hairball

I am knocking Ronnie, i would go so far as to say i can't stand to listen to Ronnie's pedal steel on Happy, its horrible to my ears.

Haha well I was trying to be diplomatic, but won't argue with that or deny you're right to an opinion. winking smiley

Are you going to any upcoming shows stone4ever?

Date: March 21, 2018 20:09

Hairball
stone4ever
Hairball

Haha well I was trying to be diplomatic, but won't argue with that or deny you're right to an opinion. winking smiley

Haha diplomacy, i strive for it but it deludes me for some reason. , better to just say it as it is, works for me.

Yeah Hairball looking forward to seeing my band, got General admission tickets for Twickenham and Cardiff. And yourself ??

Date: March 21, 2018 20:15

stone4ever
diplomacy, i strive for it but it deludes me for some reason.

Paging GasLight...

Date: March 21, 2018 20:24

stone4ever
Hairball
stone4ever
Hairball

Haha diplomacy, i strive for it but it deludes me for some reason. , better to just say it as it is, works for me.

Yeah Hairball looking forward to seeing my band, got General admission tickets for Twickenham and Cardiff. And yourself ??

As of this minute, no absolute plans. Long story regarding possibly tying a show in with visiting family, friends, in-laws, etc. - my wife is hankering to see her dad again and revisit friends, etc. in Chester (where she grew up), and I have some friends in Guildford where I lived and went to University, but everything is still in flux with lots of details involving travel, schedules, etc., etc., etc. still up in the air. And to be honest, the Stones are secondary to all of that right now, but if the stars align anything is possible. Have a great time at Twickenham and Cardiff! thumbs up

Date: March 21, 2018 20:33

Rocky Dijon
stone4ever
diplomacy, i strive for it but it deludes me for some reason.

Paging GasLight...

At least Gaslight has charm, i'm devoid of charm i'm afraid.

Still think Dirty Work is a good album, Now that's what i call paging Gaslight winking smiley

Date: March 21, 2018 20:44

Hairball
stone4ever
Hairball
stone4ever
Hairball

As of this minute, no absolute plans. Long story regarding possibly tying a show in with visiting family, friends, in-laws, etc. - my wife is hankering to see her dad again and revisit friends, etc. in Chester (where she grew up), and I have some friends in Guildford where I lived and went to University, but everything is still in flux with lots of details involving travel, schedules, etc., etc., etc. still up in the air. And to be honest, the Stones are secondary to all of that right now, but if the stars align anything is possible. Have a great time at Twickenham and Cardiff! thumbs up

I thought that at our time of life things are supposed to get less complicated Hairball sad smiley , hopefully the Stars will align for you and yours.

Thanks, i will have a great time as long as Keith, Mick, Charlie and Ronnie keep going for another few months.
Can't help but think this will be the last time, so i kind of felt obliged to go, plus the boys are playing on my home turf.smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2018 21:02

The last time?

The Last Time (Original Single Mono Version)

Maybe the last time, I don't know...

Date: March 21, 2018 21:17

Above clip not available in the UK for some reason.eye rolling smiley

Date: March 21, 2018 21:26

stone4ever

Still think Dirty Work is a good album, Now that's what i call paging Gaslight winking smiley

I was invoking GasLight to make sure he's on his toes. That said, since you brought it up, I still think "Harlem Shuffle" / "Had it with You" was a great 45.

Date: March 21, 2018 21:40

Rocky Dijon
stone4ever

I was invoking GasLight to make sure he's on his toes. That said, since you brought it up, I still think "Harlem Shuffle" / "Had it with You" was a great 45.

Not forgetting Sleep Tonight and One Hit To The Body

Oh we've really done it now, this might even bring out HMS winking smiley

Date: March 21, 2018 22:44

If the Stones had put out Dirty Work in 2016 instead of 1986, posters here would be falling over themselves in praise of what ferocity and bite the boys still have.

It would be instantly hailed as the best album since... Undercover.

Date: March 22, 2018 01:47

stonehearted
If the Stones had put out Dirty Work in 2016 instead of 1986, posters here would be falling over themselves in praise of what ferocity and bite the boys still have.

It would be instantly hailed as the best album since... Undercover.

Agreed, also when it came out in 86 is was much better than most albums of it's time and genre, chart music was full of synthesizers, (this was before Guns And Roses and the rebirth of bands like Aerosmith), the fact that the Stones were still recording Rock at this time was courageous imho , this was before MTV Rock stations were so dominant. Many critics received it as a great album and one or two went as far as to say it was a return to form. Undercover wasn't everyone's cup of tea. At the time i personally liked DW very much and i'm not ashamed to admit it, ok it had some bad numbers on it but also a few gems. The 80's production is probably why its universally disliked on iorr, whereas Undercover has worn so much better over time.

Date: March 22, 2018 04:23

I would say the guitars on "One Hit to the Body" are terrific. I'd say Francesco Clemente's picture sleeve for the 45 is terrific. The vocals, the drums, and the lyrics are pretty dreadful.

Date: March 22, 2018 08:11

I'd say the production values of A Bigger Bang are especially dreadful.

The over compression just squeezes the dynamics right out of the music.

You don't think production values make a difference?

Just listen to the pre-production mixes of Steel Wheels -- the so-called Training Wheels boot. Sounds fantastic.

The problem most people have with Dirty Work is the sound.

If they had released Dirty Work today under the same production values as, say, Crosseyed Heart, people would have loved it.

People here went ape over Doom and Gloom, just because they were doing something new -- but that doesn't come close to even the lesser tracks on Dirty Work.

At least Dirty Work has something going for it -- catchy tunes, you can't forget them.

Doom and Gloom, you can forget -- the band and their set lists already have.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2018 09:31

I'd say the production values of A Bigger Bang are especially dreadful.

...... yep the production fatigues ya ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home