Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: 25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad? Your thoughts!
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 11, 2018 01:10

The Wyman/Watts team shines on the Howlin' Wolf Sessions.

Date: March 11, 2018 01:31

-------

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2018 02:00

Leonioid
Additionally it is an unknown (as times and opinions have changed) how his predilections for having sex with children would affect public/opinions and/or demands on what the band should do about him and how he is. As we have seen recently with the Hollywood hullaballoo once some balls gets rolling they can crush people/movies/careers... and maybe bands. So it is probably good he was long gone before any of that could happen

Well, there were always two people like that in the band as Keith Richards points out in his book "Life". Womanizers or sexual predators, depending on your choice of words. So Bill wasn't the only one.
Maybe the only one having sex with underaged (15) girls though. There is a word, beginning with p, for that. But I won't mention it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 11, 2018 02:39

Please share best link someday you have coneneint time. really like this stuff.
I've seen some Live vids hat were very, very hot.

well, I'll take this as a lovely chance to listen again.
He's had several differerent versions.
I eveb think his restaurant is sitll running some thirty years of making
in that business; and I think he kind of enjoys SF food and bsr too.
I don't think they have bands or singer there, do they brother Brits?

Let's see if i can find some rocky' rhythm Bill...
jubilation

[www.youtube.com]\

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 11, 2018 10:47

Leonid, it’s not about flaws it’s a question of removing a vital part of a body. The soine is gone. He left. Darryl Jones is not a bad player but it’s not the same band without Bill who was a crucial part in the majority of their studio songs and on every classic live version be it 1969 1972-1973, 1975,1976 or 1981 when he was holding the band together. When i listen to boots from 198- i listen to Bill and Keith. If i put on Route 66, studio or live 1976/1977 i enjoy Bills bouncy lines. Brian Jones was fantastic and to this day very underrated but he was also a bit overrated at times (by some fans) . Bill on the other hand is still underrated.

Date: March 11, 2018 12:01

Leonioid
For all his talent, contributions and benefits Wyman has a fatal flaw, he is a quitter.

Additionally it is an unknown (as times and opinions have changed) how his predilections for having sex with children would affect public/opinions and/or demands on what the band should do about him and how he is. As we have seen recently with the Hollywood hullaballoo once some balls gets rolling they can crush people/movies/careers... and maybe bands. So it is probably good he was long gone before any of that could happen.

As far as Darryl Jones? I think he has filled the spot just fine. Mainly he has the ability to stay in the game for the long run. What ever it takes for one to be able to put up MickKeef, Darryl seems to have it... and that is very very important.

As far as Darryl's playing, I think (once again) how happy I am to be blessed with ears that are not all that picky... if the sounds are rocking and rolling I am happy and Darryl does that just fine. I also enjoy his recent bass riffs/solos on some songs... he jams! I would hate to have the ears of some people around here who can discern the slightest flaw in anything and it seemingly ruins everything for them.

Wyman is anything but a quitter. I'd say that is exactly what he is not. Look at what he did after the Stones.

Date: March 11, 2018 12:03

24FPS
Leonioid

As far as Darryl's playing, I think (once again) how happy I am to be blessed with ears that are not all that picky... if the sounds are rocking and rolling I am happy and Darryl does that just fine. I also enjoy his recent bass riffs/solos on some songs... he jams! I would hate to have the ears of some people around here who can discern the slightest flaw in anything and it seemingly ruins everything for them.

Or.......I feel sorry for the ears of some people around here can't discern the beauty of some players. Those who can hear the beauty, hear also when it isn't, and it ruins most everything for them. Not everything. But it is hard turning off that part of my mind when I listen to the Post-Wyman Stones. It used to be 4 interesting, contributing musicians, plus the singer. Now it's only 3.
Yeah, DJ to Wyman, is like Leavell to Stu.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 11, 2018 20:47

Palace Revolution 2000

Wyman is anything but a quitter. I'd say that is exactly what he is not...

Uhm, did you miss the part where Wyman quit The Stones? If so, I have some news for you.

Date: March 11, 2018 20:50

Palace Revolution 2000
24FPS
Leonioid

Or.......I feel sorry for the ears of some people around here can't discern the beauty of some players. Those who can hear the beauty, hear also when it isn't, and it ruins most everything for them. Not everything. But it is hard turning off that part of my mind when I listen to the Post-Wyman Stones. It used to be 4 interesting, contributing musicians, plus the singer. Now it's only 3.
Yeah, DJ to Wyman, is like Leavell to Stu.

All you ex-Stones fans, so much smarter than Mick Jagger.
You all know so much better what is best for the band, know which players to select... Uhhhmmhm... yeah...

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 20:53

Giving the bass player job to Mousse Diouf was a big joke, isn't it!smoking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:00

Saying Wyman had sex with children conjures an image of a child rapist going after little boys or girls. He had sex with teenage girls. Yes, they might be considered under the age of consent in some countries. I don't think any of them would be considered children.

Is he a bad man? Yes. They have all done illegal things. They have all violated society's moral codes. They cheat on spouses. They abuse drugs. Some of them have been violent at times. They had sex with willing teenage girls. Some of them have experimented with same sex relationships. Some of them have dabbled with Satanism. They urinated in public.

I look at the above list and realize I'm a bad man, too. I suspect I'm not the only one here.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:03

CaptainCorella
hopkins

I really liked early Rhythm Kings but they didn't swing really, did they?

There's a question mark at the end of that sentence, so I'll read that as a question.

Answer: Yes they did! And how!!

I've seen them on stage grooving along together in the most impressive way, and also in a studio playing a (sort of) private show for families... and that was beyond astonishing.

Rhythm Kings and swing go together like Rolling Stones and total greatness!

I've seen them twice in concert.
Excellent musicians...particularly the guitarists (the two Taylors and ocasioanly Albert Lee).

Re: 25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad?smiling smiley Your thoughts!
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:06

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
Soon it's been 27 years without Bill Wyman, not 25. He quit in 1991, and didn't join the band for making the Highwire and Sex Drive-videos.

And Darryl joined in 1993, or 1994?

Darryl joined in 1993 if we count the recording sessions. Bill is indeed part of the "Sex Drive" music video. Perhaps you were distracted by the models. I'm sure Bill was.

grinning smiley Then it was Highwire

Highwire was filmed in NYC, probably why Bill elected to not do it since he was tired of flying and he had already decided he wasn't going to do any more big tours. Sex Drive was filmed in London, which is most likely why he' in it. And he hadn't retired from the Stones yet.

There certainly was a shift in their sound after Bill retired and they hired Darryl. Keith started work on MAIN OFFENDER not too long after they wrapped up all the mixing and promo work for FLASHPOINT in 1991 and Sex Drive was released.

I've often thought that the vibe from MAIN OFFENDER had a huge impact on how VOODOO LOUNGE sounded the way it did, which is extremely obvious with Love Is Strong being the little brother of Wicked As It Seems. Don Smith being the recording engineer for MO and VL most likely is not a factor. Not sure how he could've been.

Mick started working on WANDERING SPIRIT in the last 3 months of 1991. Bill's official announcement was in early January of 1993 that he left the Stones.

In April Mick, Keith and Charlie started recording demos for VL in Barbados.

Mid-June they had bassist auditions in Manhattan.

The late July/early August sessions for VL in Ireland did not have a bass player - Ronnie and Keith recorded bass. Darryl joined them for the second Ireland VL sessions in September.

There's been very few post-Wyman Stones songs that sound like Wyman era Stones. The one I can think of the most is Biggest Mistake, but that may be strictly because it sounds like it could've fit on TATTOO YOU in a way.

So for the aspect of the question, since the Stones' sound changed, I don't think Bill would've had much to do with it. However, they would've sounded a lot better live with him.

Date: March 12, 2018 01:59

Rocky Dijon
Saying Wyman had sex with children conjures an image of a child rapist going after little boys or girls. He had sex with teenage girls. Yes, they might be considered under the age of consent in some countries. I don't think any of them would be considered children

In most countries in the Western world I guess. She was 14, Bill was 48. If this was proved in court here in Sweden Bill would have been sentenced for child rape. I'm not moralizing on this, just pointing out some facts.

Ps Apparently Mandy has found God now. At least according to some British tabloid... [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: March 12, 2018 02:11

Leonioid
You all know so much better what is best for the band, know which players to select... Uhhhmmhm... yeah...

Believe it or not. This thread is not about being smarter than Sir Michael but expressing your own opinion. There is no wrong or right here. Even if some seems to think there are.

Date: March 12, 2018 02:18

Stoneage
Leonioid

Believe it or not. This thread is not about being smarter than Sir Michael but expressing your own opinion. There is no wrong or right here. Even if some seems to think there are.

Not taking the bait, the ban bait. Go try it on someone else

yawn

Date: March 12, 2018 02:22

Fine with me. My intention, by the way, was just to express my opinion. Which I did. Not fishing... Take care.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 12, 2018 03:06

I'm a fan of the band now; I could be an arm-chair critic and have been, but
I think Bill will always be current and relevant just because of the
nature of the band's history.
For a ton of varied reasons it's Bill on the stuff that most all people
hear and love, and have loved. That happened before Darryl was on board.
(He was about six months old when the band had their first shows).

VL was good. I bought it and liked it. It wasn't the rebirth of regular
band studio work as it had almost always been.
Bill wanted to retire and did. Is it living in the past if I still
really get a kick out of my favorite Stones albums? cause it feels
very current to me. As always since these various tracks were released,
I, like I imagine most fans who love them, listen to the albums.
Sometimes not one or another for a long period but eventually,
aside from my favorite half-dozen or so albums, there's another
dozen of various albums in general rotation.
Very little of it is Darryl cause they stopped recording for the most part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 05:21 by hopkins.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:25

Hmmmm. Jumping on Bill regarding underage females. I believe Jagger/Richard wrote Stray Cat Blues about a 13-year-old girl. I mean it's not a capital crime.

I like Palace Revolution's comparison of Chuck to Stu. Perfect. After Bill walked away the Stones ran out of luck when it came to memorable musicians. Distinctive sound. You can tell when it's Nicky, or Stu playing boogie woogie, or Billy doing disco. You can pick out Brian on slide or Mick Taylor soaring upward. But now it's all about getting those Greatest Hits pumped out for the rubes with deep pockets. The less discerning general public. The kind that don't care it's nowhere near Bobby Keys blasting out his solo on Brown Sugar. Or Bill surrounding the band in funk on Miss You.

Want to hear Wyman in a different venue? Pick up the 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite' CD/DVD set. Muddy Waters personally requested Bill back him up at his Montreaux gig in 1974. Once opening act Buddy Guy & Junior Wells found out, they insisted Wyman, Dallas Taylor-drums, and Terry Taylor-guitar, back them up too. The result is stunning.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:28

Leonioid

You sound like Micky Jagger! Are you actually him??? hot smiley

Date: March 12, 2018 05:28

bleedingman
The Wyman/Watts team shines on the Howlin' Wolf Sessions.

So true! Almost forgot about it!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:52

24FPS
Hmmmm. Jumping on Bill regarding underage females. I believe Jagger/Richard wrote Stray Cat Blues about a 13-year-old girl. I mean it's not a capital crime.

I like Palace Revolution's comparison of Chuck to Stu. Perfect. After Bill walked away the Stones ran out of luck when it came to memorable musicians. Distinctive sound. You can tell when it's Nicky, or Stu playing boogie woogie, or Billy doing disco. You can pick out Brian on slide or Mick Taylor soaring upward. But now it's all about getting those Greatest Hits pumped out for the rubes with deep pockets. The less discerning general public. The kind that don't care it's nowhere near Bobby Keys blasting out his solo on Brown Sugar. Or Bill surrounding the band in funk on Miss You.

Want to hear Wyman in a different venue? Pick up the 'Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite' CD/DVD set. Muddy Waters personally requested Bill back him up at his Montreaux gig in 1974. Once opening act Buddy Guy & Junior Wells found out, they insisted Wyman, Dallas Taylor-drums, and Terry Taylor-guitar, back them up too. The result is stunning.

I bought that on vinyl way back in the day when it was first released back in the early '80s - didn't realize there's now a DVD?

Also, glad you mentioned Bobby. While this new Karl guy is obviously skilled, he is no Bobby - just as Darryl is no Bill, and Chuck is no Stu.
Not necessarily knocking the replacements, but there a sterility that has weakened the Stones' sound which seems clearly evident to those that care and appreciate what the Stones once were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 05:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 12, 2018 08:16

Hairball
24FPS

I bought that on vinyl way back in the day when it was first released back in the early '80s - didn't realize there's now a DVD?

Also, glad you mentioned Bobby. While this new Karl guy is obviously skilled, he is no Bobby - just as Darryl is no Bill, and Chuck is no Stu.
Not necessarily knocking the replacements, but there a sterility that has weakened the Stones' sound which seems clearly evident to those that care and appreciate what the Stones once were.

Yeah, there's a CD/DVD set with Buddy, Junior Wells, Muddy & Pinetop Perkins. It's got a nice little booklet, it's great. It's on Edsel Records which looks like it's released Wyman solo product previously.

Date: March 12, 2018 09:21

24FPS

Do you think you could share the Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite CD and the DVD? I hate to ask, but I don't think I would be able to buy it for a while. My e-mail is pekingi.ferenc at gmail dot com Thanks! Frankie

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 12, 2018 10:32

24FPS

At least he wasn't raping children. This might be no excuse but when I read about it I always ask myself: Where were the parents of these girls?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 12, 2018 11:16

In a long Brit doco called Just For the Record, Bill states very clearly that he left because there was no room for him to lead or create within the RS because those roles were already occupied by Keith. So the RS could have retained him had they chosen to share some of the creative responsibilities.

It is also clear that Bill is very happy with his choice. He wanted a family, he wanted to lead his own band, he wanted to stop flying (he travels on land to his gigs in Europe) and he wanted to pursue side projects like his metal detecting and phtography. Unlike Mick Taylor, whose post-RS life sadly has not gone very well, Bill's life appears to be very rewarding and successful. AFAIK, he has never expressed a single regret over his choice.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 12, 2018 11:19

saltoftheearth
24FPS

At least he wasn't raping children. This might be no excuse but when I read about it I always ask myself: Where were the parents of these girls?

Well, that's why these things happen: these girls are vulnerable and often have been neglected for too long by too many and are easy prey for old rockers with a midlife crisis.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 12, 2018 11:19

saltoftheearth
24FPS

If they were Groupies.... who knows.

If they were Mandy, then AFIK her mum was hooked up with Stephen Wyman. Go figure.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 12, 2018 11:25

24FPS
Leonioid

Maybe I am one of them. But, as I said before in another post, I do hear the Stones sound different in the last - say - 30 years, but I am not sure how much is because of Bill gone, or Stu gone.
Live: they play big stadiums now, and Keith is less reliable as a band-leader. So, there is much stronger need for streamlined and organized direction. In comes Chuck Leavell. Not sure how Stu could have taken that role. And even if he could, there would be less space for ad-libbing and more demand for tightness and reliability.
Studio: Mick and Keith want different things. Not much room for a bass player with ideas of his own or adding more touches and extras which might not be according to what either Mick or Keith wants. Or imagine those rare cases when Mick and Keith do agree about something and in comes the bass player and *beng* they disagree again.
Probably, for the band they are now, Leavell and Jones are the best fit for the job required. Which is why Bill left and never looked back with regret.

Date: March 12, 2018 11:34

Stoneage
Rocky Dijon
Saying Wyman had sex with children conjures an image of a child rapist going after little boys or girls. He had sex with teenage girls. Yes, they might be considered under the age of consent in some countries. I don't think any of them would be considered children

In most countries in the Western world I guess. She was 14, Bill was 48. If this was proved in court here in Sweden Bill would have been sentenced for child rape. I'm not moralizing on this, just pointing out some facts.

Ps Apparently Mandy has found God now. At least according to some British tabloid... [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Wasn't she 13?

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home