Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: 25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad?smiling smiley Your thoughts!
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 8, 2018 10:10

25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad?

Bad.

They never accepeted Darryl Jones as a full band member. Any more questions?

Anyway, teh question is if Bill would be able to stand an entire big tour nowadays.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 8, 2018 10:21

buttons67
i dont think it matters a great deal now, when he left most of us would never have thought the band would still be going 25 years later anyway, so that they are is the bonus.

thumbs up That about sums it up for me too.

Date: March 8, 2018 10:58

Soon it's been 27 years without Bill Wyman, not 25. He quit in 1991, and didn't join the band for making the Highwire and Sex Drive-videos.

And Darryl joined in 1993, or 1994?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:02

Just listen to Hampton to understand how great he was.
Bill is The Rolling Stones' classic bass player (and Keith in the sudio) for sure.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:20

Rocky Dijon

What a shame Ben Waters didn't stay on after the 2011 rehearsals at Bill's studio.

AFIK Bill doesn't have a studio (suitable for a Stones' rehearsal). Did you mean to mention the studio in Hammersmith that Bill usually uses?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:38

Maybe some "nostalgic" folks would like to kill me, for expressing my opinion, but I prefer Darryl Jones.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:42

Bad. The swing of Bill's playing is a missing ingredient in modern day Stones. Much more important than some people might realize. It's not the same but similar if Charlie was replaced in my opinion. All things considered they still make good Rock and Roll. Perhaps it could be called a different chapter of their career.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:53

HMN

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 8, 2018 12:40

Of course Charlie Watts is a true gentleman and would never say so, but I have a feeling that he finds it easier to play with Darryl who is a more solid bassist. An important factor these days when Keith can be a bit wobbly.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 8, 2018 12:51

frankotero
Bad. The swing of Bill's playing is a missing ingredient in modern day Stones. Much more important than some people might realize. It's not the same but similar if Charlie was replaced in my opinion. All things considered they still make good Rock and Roll. Perhaps it could be called a different chapter of their career.

The swing, yes ! Bill often played the same stuff but man did it "roll", just listen to these SWH outtakes with that bass. Darryl is certainly an excellent musician, the problem is that he just doesn't stand out in the mix, someone give him a pick ! To some extent he just "fills in", like Chuck does. Maybe that's what they need, dunno...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 8, 2018 13:11

And when he stands out, his sound is very different to that of Bill...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 8, 2018 13:30

crumbling_mice
He has been missed...not the most technically gifted bassist but it worked and at times it couldn't have been better. He got out at the right time in terms of new recordings...he didn't want to tour any more and so from his perspective it was perfect timing. Not so for us fans.

He didn't want to tour anymore?

Well, actually I suspect that until his recent illness Bill and has Band have done more tours and gigs than The STONES over the same period. Not worldwide of course, more UK and Europe.
For Bill, no regrets I am sure. Time to peruse many interests, have a 'normal' family life...and of course give us the pleasure of new music, books, exhibitions etc.

Date: March 8, 2018 13:42

jlowe
crumbling_mice
He has been missed...not the most technically gifted bassist but it worked and at times it couldn't have been better. He got out at the right time in terms of new recordings...he didn't want to tour any more and so from his perspective it was perfect timing. Not so for us fans.

He didn't want to tour anymore?

Well, actually I suspect that until his recent illness Bill and has Band have done more tours and gigs than The STONES over the same period. Not worldwide of course, more UK and Europe.
For Bill, no regrets I am sure. Time to peruse many interests, have a 'normal' family life...and of course give us the pleasure of new music, books, exhibitions etc.

He didn't wanna fly anymore, hence it would be hard to continue touring with the Stones..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 8, 2018 15:45

DandelionPowderman
Soon it's been 27 years without Bill Wyman, not 25. He quit in 1991, and didn't join the band for making the Highwire and Sex Drive-videos.

Darryl joined in 1993 if we count the recording sessions. Bill is indeed part of the "Sex Drive" music video. Perhaps you were distracted by the models. I'm sure Bill was.

Date: March 8, 2018 15:46

CaptainCorella
Rocky Dijon

What a shame Ben Waters didn't stay on after the 2011 rehearsals at Bill's studio.

AFIK Bill doesn't have a studio (suitable for a Stones' rehearsal). Did you mean to mention the studio in Hammersmith that Bill usually uses?

I thought Rattlesnake was Bill's property.

Date: March 8, 2018 15:48

Svartmer
Of course Charlie Watts is a true gentleman and would never say so, but I have a feeling that he finds it easier to play with Darryl who is a more solid bassist. An important factor these days when Keith can be a bit wobbly.

I do find it odd that Charlie, who is based in the UK much of the time, doesn't take opportunities to join Bill on stage or in the studio. The truth is, much as we study their every comment to the press, we don't really know them.

Date: March 8, 2018 15:54

Rockman

thumbs up

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 8, 2018 15:54

MISS BILL---Not the same STONES since he left.
Good or bad like the rest he is a real STONE!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2018 15:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
I miss him a lot. D. Jones is very good but the loss of Bill, as well as Stu was the end of the classic Stones sound - at least to my ears. They're still great, but it's not the same.

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 8, 2018 15:58

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

Darryl joined in 1993 if we count the recording sessions. Bill is indeed part of the "Sex Drive" music video. Perhaps you were distracted by the models. I'm sure Bill was.

grinning smiley Then it was Highwire

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:48

I miss his thumping bass

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 8, 2018 17:39

All this talk about Bill not being a technical bassist. How about the technical skills within the rest of the band? They ar all self-taught musicians. Amateurs with a lot of practise if you like.
If they were to dismiss band members due to lack of technical skills Bill wouldn't be the first to go. He was always the most reliable Stone. Seldom missed a beat. Can you say that about Charlie?
Have anyone heard a decent solo from Keith in the last three decades? Talking about technicality...

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: March 8, 2018 17:44

IMO they lost a bit of their magic when Bill left. I miss his wobble. While DJ is obviously talented, it hasn't been the same for me since.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:13

the people who stay can deal with the Mick-Keith dominance and psychodrama, those who leave can't. Harmony probably produces betters results ultimately.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:34

Darryl is a highly capable bass player but he doesn't have Bill's "swing." A key component not so much in the Stones sound but rather their feel.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:40

Send It To me
the people who stay can deal with the Mick-Keith dominance and psychodrama, those who leave can't. Harmony probably produces betters results ultimately.

However the above was probably way down the factors in Bill deciding to quit.
He'd put up with the two Big Egos since 1962 after all.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:55

I think Bill wasn't too impressed with Keith's "junkie time" i.e. rehearsal or recording in the middle of the night, finishing in the morning.

Date: March 8, 2018 19:09

He wasn't, but he didn't quit in 1991 because he didn't like the hours.

Date: March 8, 2018 19:36

Honestly, I;m 'terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied' that any Stoners could choose DJ over Bill Wyman. Granted, it took Bill leaving, for it to hit home; but Bill's sound and playing was integral to the core stones sound. His influence was massive.
I think Mick and Keith have both come as close, as they ever will, to admitting that too.

DJ is a fine, able bass player, but this is one time Charlie was very wrong. Keith should have made the call.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 8, 2018 20:26

If you dont hear or understand how crucial Bill was to their sound then im afraid you really dont understand their music.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home