Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: 25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad?smiling smiley Your thoughts!
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 17, 2018 10:59

Hairball
georgie48
HonkeyTonkFlash
I miss him a lot. D. Jones is very good but the loss of Bill, as well as Stu was the end of the classic Stones sound - at least to my ears. They're still great, but it's not the same.

Everybody changes over years. Bill in the 60s, Bill in the 70s and so on. But I disagree that "the classic Stones sound" got lost. How about Blue and Lonesome?
Yip, no Brian Jones, no Stu, no Bill, but definitively Rolling Stones. They can do it still, any time they want. When I listen to their first 60s albums, off course there is a difference, but would we want "the simplicity" of their music then instead of something like Blue and Lonesome now? 20 years "old" young men developed into 70+ old "old" men. How about lucky us. We can just pick a record/CD anywhere from the early 60s to (so far) 2015 as we like. The choice is ours. Man, aren't we privileged?
smileys with beer

Blue and Lonesome being a covers album of old blues tunes was basically a one off situation (recorded in 2-3 days, etc.), and I believe HonkeyTonkFlash was referring specifically to live shows anyways.
If they could apply the B&L approach to a new set of original tunes that would be great, but the fact they've been working on the new album for eternity tells me that's not going to happen.
As for the rest of your post - yes we are lucky to have a catalogue that spans over half a century. thumbs up

I agree with you on the idea of applying the B&L approach. Who knows what they have in mind. Maybe the success of B&L changed their minds? But I remember the very first time I heard Paint it, Black in 1966. My first thought was " what the hell are they doing?", but after three or four times it was "this is a great song!" So I am open to any new stuff. I have (shouldn't I after more than 54 years winking smiley). total trust in their new stuff.
smileys with beer

Re: 25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad? Your thoughts!
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 17, 2018 12:50

They should have tried to get Willy Weeks to replace Bill

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 17, 2018 13:11

terraplane
They should have tried to get Willy Weeks to replace Bill

I find Willy's playing much closer to DJ's stile rather than Bill's

C

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 17, 2018 18:26

it's almost haiku but i'd have to make up some syllables for the third line,
and that's above my pay grade. But ok, i'll try:

re twenty five years
without bill wyman good or
bad your thoughts bottom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 07:32 by hopkins.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 18, 2018 11:42

So many people condemning Bill for Mandy Smith, but yet the morality police give Mick a free pass for his atrocious behaviour toward the women in his life.

Examples - constant public humiliation of Jerry, with endless cheating and his 8 year affair with Carla Bruni and then having his Balinese marriage declared invalid to avoid giving her a decent settlement following the end of their 20 year r'ship; most certainly being instrumental in L'Wren Scott's suicide, evidenced by flaunting his new 26 year old paramour Melanie Hamrick a short time later; flaunting his even newer r'ship with 22 year old Noor Al Alfali shortly after Melanie had given birth to his son. Bianca said that her marriage was over pretty much the day it took place, due to his constant cheating; Marianne attempted suicide; he hurt his oldest friend Keith with his affair with Anita.

Date: April 18, 2018 11:50

Bliss
So many people condemning Bill for Mandy Smith, but yet the morality police give Mick a free pass for his atrocious behaviour toward the women in his life.

Examples - constant public humiliation of Jerry, with endless cheating and his 8 year affair with Carla Bruni and then having his Balinese marriage declared invalid to avoid giving her a decent settlement following the end of their 20 year r'ship; most certainly being instrumental in L'Wren Scott's suicide, evidenced by flaunting his new 26 year old paramour Melanie Hamrick a short time later; flaunting his even newer r'ship with 22 year old Noor Al Alfali shortly after Melanie had given birth to his son. Bianca said that her marriage was over pretty much the day it took place, due to his constant cheating; Marianne attempted suicide; he hurt his oldest friend Keith with his affair with Anita.

I haven't seen anyone (except for perhaps a very few of the Mick-supporters here) giving Mick a free pass.

Still, one gets a bad taste in the mouth knowing he was 47 and she was 13, right?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 23, 2018 20:25

MOJO magazine, June 2018

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 23, 2018 20:40

Thanks, Cristiano for the clip. Interesting to read about Bill's favourite records. I think he is very honest here. Dire Straits are kind of forgotten. They were huge here in Sweden in the late 70's.
And what a intuitive guitar player Mark Knopfler was (and probably still is). And he's right about Chris Rea's voice. Such warmth in that voice.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 23, 2018 22:13

Cristiano Radtke

MOJO magazine, June 2018

June 2018, is that a typo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 22:14 by Koen.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 23, 2018 22:26

Koen
Cristiano Radtke

MOJO magazine, June 2018

June 2018, is that a typo?

Don't ask me why, but British magazines are usually released two months ahead of the current month.

[www.mojo4music.com]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 24, 2018 14:19

Bill is in charge of creating the specific rhythm drive in the early sixties. The sound of the legendary Chess recordings wouldn't have been possible without him. His bass is most prominent in "All Over Now". The full, rich bass lines are characteristic for the bluesy Stones sound in the sixties until they made up their minds to be a Pop Group in 66-67. He would have been essential for the takes of the Blue & Lonesome album.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 24, 2018 15:28

RobertJohnson
Bill is in charge of creating the specific rhythm drive in the early sixties. The sound of the legendary Chess recordings wouldn't have been possible without him. His bass is most prominent in "All Over Now". The full, rich bass lines are characteristic for the bluesy Stones sound in the sixties until they made up their minds to be a Pop Group in 66-67. He would have been essential for the takes of the Blue & Lonesome album.

Absolutely!

Date: April 24, 2018 22:08

DandelionPowderman
Bliss

I haven't seen anyone (except for perhaps a very few of the Mick-supporters here) giving Mick a free pass.

Still, one gets a bad taste in the mouth knowing he was 47 and she was 13, right?

Well, of course. But Bill was with Mandy for 9 years; he married her and only gave up when her chronic illnesses and anorexia became too much for him to handle.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 24, 2018 22:18

Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss

Well, of course. But Bill was with Mandy for 9 years; he married her and only gave up when her chronic illnesses and anorexia became too much for him to handle.

Bill's never heard of...'and in sickness and in health', then....

Date: April 24, 2018 22:45

jlowe
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss

Bill's never heard of...'and in sickness and in health', then....

Perhaps he realised he was not good for her.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home