Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad? Your thoughts!
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:32

It's been some 25 years since Bill Wyman left the band. Is that good or bad? If you wanna be cynical you can say it was better he left. He had done some great stuff with the Rythm Kings, and that stuff would probably not be released if he had been in the band. If he had stayed in the Stones he would just play the bass and nothing else. It's Mick&Keith who runs everything. Anyone who misses him?smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-08 23:05 by bv.

Re: 25 years without Bill Wyman, good or bad?smiling smiley Your thoughts!
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:34

i dont think it matters a great deal now, when he left most of us would never have thought the band would still be going 25 years later anyway, so that they are is the bonus.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:40

The Stones adapted without him and created a new sound. But imo that sound was better with Bill and Bill had a unique way of playing bass that although not as technical as Darryl was definitely more interesting.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:41

Neither.

There was a Rollin' Stones band before Bill Wyman joined, and there would have been one if he had not replaced Dick Taylor -- which no doubt would have met with a similar success regardless...

...with one notable exception...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:42

Miss Bill a lot.
Not just the playing, but like every Stone, what he added to the group in the overall persona of the band. An original. Glad I got to to see him live with the band a few times.. Not going to put much into the rumor of him making an appearance at any of the upcoming shows, but plan on eating at his restaurant while in town smiling smiley.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:51

He has been missed...not the most technically gifted bassist but it worked and at times it couldn't have been better. He got out at the right time in terms of new recordings...he didn't want to tour any more and so from his perspective it was perfect timing. Not so for us fans.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 8, 2018 00:05

Bill was great. I prefer Darryll Jonessmoking smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 8, 2018 00:25

It's unfortunate for Wyman's legacy that the beginning of the Stones' best era as a live act coincided with him leaving the band.

Would we have had those swaggering, uninhibited performances during 1994/5 with a motionless Wyman onstage?

Bill's departure seemed to release the Stones back to their roots.

A capable bassist, but Darryl Jones is a far better fit for the band.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 8, 2018 00:43

Absolutely nothing good in that. They lost an integral part of their sound. A gap Darryll hasn't been able to fill. They are 0,8 x Rolling Stones now. Or less even.
And, as opposed to the other band members, Bill didn't drop in quality and deliverance over the years. He was rock steady.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 8, 2018 00:58

No, don't miss him at all. An important part of history yes, great Bass player yes but Darryl Jones doesn't get enough credit. He offers much more as a Bass player in my opinion and I prefer his playing to Bills. Sorry if that upsets anyone but just simply how I feel.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 8, 2018 01:12

Bill was the greatest.. never been the same since he left.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 8, 2018 01:16

Bill is heavily missed, and practically irreplaceable, yet glad they continued without him even if their sound has been lessened.
I think Darryl does what is minimally necessary just as a session/studio musician should, and in that sense they could have hired any skilled bass player.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 8, 2018 01:19

Cool topic! smoking smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 8, 2018 02:03

I miss him a lot. D. Jones is very good but the loss of Bill, as well as Stu was the end of the classic Stones sound - at least to my ears. They're still great, but it's not the same.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: March 8, 2018 03:29

I guess I'm used to it. I miss Bill but have nothing bad to say about Darryl...D fits in with Charlie and if Charlie is happy, the band is happy and that makes me happy smileys with beer

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 8, 2018 04:42

Of course I miss Bill, but even if he were willing and able to tour with them, I fear the magic isn't there any longer. His brief reunion at the O2 (admittedly, not the songs I would have given him) seemed uninspired. Yes, I know he complained he didn't have time to rehearse. They did three days of rehearsals at his studio a year earlier. I wonder if they were less than thrilled with his playing then. Playing with different musicians (especially a drummer) for 25 years can change you. That said, Keith, Ronnie, and Darryl are either variable or undistinguished much of the time on stage during the post-Wyman years so I'm not blaming Bill for that.

In the studio, I like Darryl fine (especially VOODOO LOUNGE). I think more appropriate choices to replace Bill would have been Joey Spaminato or Jeff Sarli, but they clearly wanted more of a professional sideman such as Darryl or Doug Wimbish. Both of those choices are preferable to Charley Drayton. I suspect Drayton's replacement in the Winos, Jerome Smith was also an early contender to replace Bill since he played on the WANDERING SPIRIT sessions as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2018 04:50

Met Jerome Smith a couple of times in the last month or two ....
Really friendly and can really rock the joint vocal wise ...

He did a barn-stormin' set with Ben Waters and few nights ago ... The guy's cool ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 8, 2018 04:55

Stoneage
Absolutely nothing good in that. They lost an integral part of their sound. A gap Darryll hasn't been able to fill. They are 0,8 x Rolling Stones now. Or less even.
And, as opposed to the other band members, Bill didn't drop in quality and deliverance over the years. He was rock steady.

thumbs up amen

Date: March 8, 2018 04:55

Interesting as always, Terry. Whenever I hear the Winos playing "Something Else" with Jerome I think how much he plays like Darryl.

What a shame Ben Waters didn't stay on after the 2011 rehearsals at Bill's studio. Would have loved to hear authentic boogie-woogie notes on stage. Of course, I'd love it if Chuck played his studio organ or piano in concert rather than the set-up he takes on tour.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 8, 2018 05:26

Olly
It's unfortunate for Wyman's legacy that the beginning of the Stones' best era as a live act coincided with him leaving the band.

Would we have had those swaggering, uninhibited performances during 1994/5 with a motionless Wyman onstage?

Yup

Date: March 8, 2018 05:40

What a shame Ben Waters didn't stay on after the 2011 rehearsals at Bill's studio.

Had some really interesting Stones chats with Ben ... The rehearsal sessions
were all recorded but very jam like ... the first day was spent just sitting around telling old tales from the past ... A lot of what I was told cant be
repeated here ..... Jagger didn't turn up till the final day and Ben was actually asked if he could accompany them on tour but it never eventuated ....
I'll see ben again tonight at Pistol Pete's so hopefully some more Stones stories and again at up-coming folk festival after some pasta and a LAUGH ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2018 06:43

Now there's a guy who lives the Life of Riley. Two guys, actually. Should you feel the need to unburden your soul to someone sworn to the sanctity of the confessional, you know how to reach me, my son.

Date: March 8, 2018 06:53

... But father it is not I who have sinned ...... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2018 07:05

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 8, 2018 07:07

Olly

Wrong on all four counts. You managed to make four incredibly bad statements in one post.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 8, 2018 08:20

Rockman
What a shame Ben Waters didn't stay on after the 2011 rehearsals at Bill's studio.

Had some really interesting Stones chats with Ben ... The rehearsal sessions
were all recorded but very jam like ... the first day was spent just sitting around telling old tales from the past ... A lot of what I was told cant be
repeated here ..... Jagger didn't turn up till the final day and Ben was actually asked if he could accompany them on tour but it never eventuated ....
I'll see ben again tonight at Pistol Pete's so hopefully some more Stones stories and again at up-coming folk festival after some pasta and a LAUGH ...

Agreed that Ben should be in The Stones. Far more suitable than that Las Vegas ivory tinkler that they mostly use

Enjoy Ben's show! I'd be there but for family obligations at the moment.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 8, 2018 08:27

He wasn't much more than a half-time member anyway. And I don't think his playing was something special eighter.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 08:27

A note on Darryl's technicality - let's be frank, he is the most technical musician on stage than any of them. It isn't only Bill that he's more technical than.

People say Darryl doesn't get enough credit - I say neither does Bill.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 8, 2018 08:39

Olly

“Best era as a live act” began in 94-95? Have you seen or heard any of their live performances between ‘69 and ‘78???

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: March 8, 2018 09:57

Stoneage

thumbs up
Of course

Daryl 's playing is horrible since the Licks Tour (Listen to it's only rock and roll for exemple), he sounds like a cover band) , he doesn't care about Stones's Discography and worst he can't play the real Wyman bass part.
I think is tired of doing this.

[www.facebook.com]

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home