Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

rolling stones concerts and cameras.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:28

was wondering what type of cameras were allowed and which were not allowed into venues for stones concerts, last time i saw them i hid a camera in my shoe to get it in but now would like to take a DSLR and one or two lenses and filters in. is this allowed. what do folk normally do.

Re: rolling stones concerts and cameras.
Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:53

At the shows last year, not allowed. You could sneak in a small camera depending on venue and mood of the security staff, but no DSLR and lenses.

Sue in Spain

My coat is torn and frayed, it's seen much better days, but as long as the guitar plays ....

Date: March 7, 2018 23:56

cheers for the info, no DSLR,s for me then, disappointing as i could have got some great photos, will need to get a small compact in instead.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 8, 2018 14:16

Safest seems to be a cellphone with a good camera.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 8, 2018 14:27

DSLR's are always forbidden, unless you have a special accreditaion.
Small cameras without removable/changeable lenses are mostly accepted

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 14:49

Doc
DSLR's are always forbidden, unless you have a special accreditaion.
Small cameras without removable/changeable lenses are mostly accepted

The latter were accepted everywhere except the German shows. I've never ever known detachable lenses to be allowed at any show I've ever attended and I'm 50. I saw someone who'd sneaked one in at Oslo on 14OF and he used it, near the end of the catwalk! But that's an exception.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:45

I've brought pro cameras in to Stones shows years ago on a regular basis. After years of it, I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

If you want to sneak in the camera, wrap the camera strap around your hand, grab a jacket, carry the jacket with the camera in hand over your shoulder. When you get patted down, they never check your shoulder.

In later years, I used Canon cameras from the IS series and would slip the small camera in my underpants. They never checked my junk!

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:55

I used to smuggle in a DSLR in the past easily, as long as bags were allowed.

As bags are mostly restricted, I bought myself the Canon M6. It is so small, if you hold it with your ticket / purse etc while they pat you don't, no one has seen it yet.

Additionally I admit to put the very small 55-200 additional lens into my trousers. Even the metal detectors didn't show up on it in Lucca last year.

Always a little risk, but I am very happy with the results using RAW with the Canon M6 and 55-200 lens. Still my 5d Mk IV would be superior, but the difference isn't worth it for me anymore.

The small Sony mirrorless should be even better in quality I guess.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:58

exilestones
I've brought pro cameras in to Stones shows years ago on a regular basis. After years of it, I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

If you want to sneak in the camera, wrap the camera strap around your hand, grab a jacket, carry the jacket with the camera in hand over your shoulder. When you get patted down, they never check your shoulder.

In later years, I used Canon cameras from the IS series and would slip the small camera in my underpants. They never checked my junk!

Hope you cleaned the camera afterwards!

Date: March 9, 2018 17:59

Just two sample pictures I managed to snap with the M6:

[www.flickr.com]

This was from the Pit, so certainly a lot better than from Lucca, where I stood in Golden Circle:

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 20:51

...and remember: No binoculars allowed , at least in Paris last year or maybe depending on the security man.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 21:01

majomuc
Just two sample pictures I managed to snap with the M6:

[www.flickr.com]

This was from the Pit, so certainly a lot better than from Lucca, where I stood in Golden Circle:

[www.flickr.com]

The first picture is seriously amazing. The second one is also great, but the first one...just WOW! Does it make a big difference to shoot in RAW? I have always used JPEG and have been satisfied with the results so far. I have never tried RAW, so I am interested.

Date: March 9, 2018 21:10

Dear Happy24,

RAW gives you so much more, at least with the right cam. Especially as I only use manual settings and sometimes during the bustle of the show, your settings aren't fine throughout.

Just try it - I use DXO and Photoshop afterwards. Lightroom is fine as well.

The second photo was about 80m further away from the stage, so it is no fair comparison.

I just wanted to show that even without the amazing Pit tickets, you can achieve nice memories with a comparatively small cam.

Just have a look how light and easy to hide the 55-200mm is.

[www.flickr.com]

Date: March 9, 2018 22:13

Thanks majomuc, I will deffinitely try it, first on some smaller concert. Your pictures are truly stunning. So far I had the Lumix TZ60, which is not bad, but with small sensor, now I have the TZ100, which has 1" sensor, which is a great difference. Well, it only has 10x zoom vs. 30x zoom of the older TZ60, so it has its pros and cons. I photographed only one concert so far with the TZ100 and was really happy with the results.

Anyway, I see that your first picture is from Munich - great that you sneeked your camera in, the security was pretty strict, right? Do you have more pictures from that gig? I would love to see them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 22:14 by Happy24.

Date: March 9, 2018 22:20

Oh certainly, but it is helpful that you can remove the lens and therefore the cam itself fits into a big hand / below tickets, keys etc.

It's so ridiculous that you pay 799 EUR for your great musical love affair and have to sneak in your small cam. But anyway, they won't care or listen to what I think ;-)

Here are the links to the full show albums:

Munich: [www.flickr.com]
Lucca: [www.flickr.com]

Date: March 9, 2018 22:35

Thank you! Amazing pictures. Love them! Great shots of the whole stage from Lucca, the stage is really beautifull - I have only seen it from the pit, so the visuals are quite new to me smiling smiley

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: March 9, 2018 22:35

Some of mine from Anaheim 2013 using an ancient 8mp pocket camera. Taking a new 20mp with me for the London shows. Can't wait to see what I capture from the PIT.

May 15, 2013

May 15, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 18, 2013

May 15, 2013

May 15, 2013

May 15, 2013

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 22:41 by GAFF.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 9, 2018 22:41

If you are creative, you can get it past security. Once in, they won't bother you in a huge crowd. I do audio recording (not phone garbage). They say no recording devices but that doesn't stop me. Just need to be creative with it.

Date: March 10, 2018 00:15

its a bit risky to try to sneak a camera and lenses by security, its not worth the hassle of being refused entry.
and im no sticking a telephoto zoom lense down my trousers. that could be embarrassing.

Date: March 10, 2018 00:36

At the most venues you can leave it at a locker room, if there's trouble.

My experience in London (at the o2 2012 and Hyde Park, and GNR in 2017) was that most security don't care about cameras at all, although officially they aren't allowed.

I would certainly appreciate to be able to carry it openly, but as long as I want to get some nice memories (and don't now how many shows I will be able to see), the little trouser-trick is some fun in a way ;-)

It's hide-and-seek for older guys ...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 00:38

On the paperwork from Ticketpro re the Prague show, it says ‘No Cameras. So going to have to be my phone for that one!

Date: March 10, 2018 00:57

Ticketpro has that only every ticket I ever got from them.

Even for a football game in Bulgaria - in the end the didn't care much.

Last year's security at the Letnany Airport (GNR) was really easy - only bottles had to be discarded. You never know, that's for sure. But when you keep it small and in your hand, your chances aren't too bad.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 10, 2018 01:22

buttons67
its a bit risky to try to sneak a camera and lenses by security, its not worth the hassle of being refused entry.
and im no sticking a telephoto zoom lense down my trousers. that could be embarrassing.

All depends how bad you want it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home