Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Do You Go See The Stones for the Performance or Setlist?
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 8, 2018 04:29

Gaetzi
experience> performance> set list

In general I love traveling to see live music. Live music has brought me to some amazing places, both inside the U.S. and beyond

Me too. I also go to record and to try and make the best recording of the tour. That is my thing.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 8, 2018 12:11

..still chasin' Beast... Figured they would play it in Munich '17 and in Vegas '13 but I couldn't do them shows, kickin' myself for it..

smileys with beer

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 8, 2018 12:20

For the setlist of course since it's always a pleasure to have a song I've never seen them perform live before (if that happens I'm really happy)

Then I'm glad to have the chance to see my favorite band live. Many fans can't, because the tour is not coming close enough to their living place or because sadly they can't afford it.

In 2017 I went to all 3 shows in Paris and I loved the performance
Maybe I was lucky to see the best shows of the tour, but the boys delivered !

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-08 12:24 by Doc.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: March 8, 2018 12:51

I agree with what lots of you are saying, eg, I go
To see Ronnies shoes
I just wanna hear live Stones music
The experience, the performance, the setlist (?)
But most of all I agree with BV, and wanna thank you so much for reminding me how young and beautiful I am, I'll have a big smile on my face from now till showtime

But the real reason I go, is this could be The Last Time, and I don't wanna be posting this on the Rock and Roll Regrets thread...........

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 8, 2018 13:07

Someone said the energy level at the gigs. That's right. That's so right. That's absolutely unique.

And then, I go to see my favourite band. And since at the moment I can't afford to call them home for a private gig in my sitting room, I take second best and see them in a stadium.

Hello Berlin ...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:51

On this tour, I’m going to support the band that’s meant so much to me throughout my life.
How’s that? It’s true.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 8, 2018 17:36

I go for the precise guitar playing! grinning smiley

More seriously, I go for many reasons (and definitely not the setlist, I don't need to hear S4tD, JJF or MR ever again):
- seeing a classic band with such a classic catalogue (they're my new Grateful Dead)
- the Stones are still relatively new to me (got bit by the bug only a few years ago)
- the concerts are fun and I know these will likely be my last Stones shows
- and this summer: an excuse to travel (aside from the Dead, I've never spent more than 2 hours to see a band, this time I'm willing to visit multiple countries, so it's an adventure too).

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 8, 2018 17:38

Performance. As we all should. smoking smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:10

I wouldn't want to hear them play Satisfaction 18 times in a row, no matter how well they played it, fwiw.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2018 01:15

I quit seeing them after 2013. What's the point, now? The same setlist with the same band sounding pretty much the same. I did see them do Sticky Fingers at the Fonda on PBS the other night. It was interesting because of the intimacy and the rare setlist. That's not going to happen now. If I could see them in a club, doing rarities, maybe, but I don't get a thrill anymore recognizing that they're playing Tumblin' Dice. And I dread all the falderah preceding Sympathy For The Devil. They would have to change up a lot to get me interested and that time has past. Bucketlisters with too much cash are their audience now. Steel Wheels was for nostalgia. That was the real last Stones tour for me, excepting the last gasp of No Security. If you haven't seen them, run, go. If you've seen them at any time in the last 40 years, why?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2018 06:07

Can't think of any real reason to see them anymore except for maybe tradition and nostalgia. Each tour after Licks which I saw multiple shows, I've seen them less and less. ABB tour was average at best, the 50 and Counting was great because of Mick Taylor, Zip Code was back to average at best, and the Desert Trip shows and *Vegas were all below the level of which I care to remember them by. Add to the fact that prices continue to increase, what's the point? I've got memories for a lifetime, and will experience the setlist and performance by reading reviws from others that continue to enjoy seeing them live and who are attending the shows, as well as watching live via persicope and facebook and an occasional video in yotube. That said, I'd be willing to see them again if the circumstances and prices were right - never say never.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 9, 2018 09:56

I think "corriecas" had it right.

It's an addiction.

An addiction to the unique buzz and that glorious ball of noise they make .

Date: March 9, 2018 10:05

FrogSugar
I go for the precise guitar playing! grinning smiley

More seriously, I go for many reasons (and definitely not the setlist, I don't need to hear S4tD, JJF or MR ever again):
- seeing a classic band with such a classic catalogue (they're my new Grateful Dead)
- the Stones are still relatively new to me (got bit by the bug only a few years ago)
- the concerts are fun and I know these will likely be my last Stones shows
- and this summer: an excuse to travel (aside from the Dead, I've never spent more than 2 hours to see a band, this time I'm willing to visit multiple countries, so it's an adventure too).

Try Toto... winking smiley

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 9, 2018 10:06

Send It To me
I wouldn't want to hear them play Satisfaction 18 times in a row, no matter how well they played it, fwiw.

I certainly enjoy rarities in the setlist, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a show consisting of 17 performances of Jumping Jack Flash and 2 Midnight Ramblers...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 9, 2018 14:15

I go because I want to see one of them die on stage. Ha ha ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 14:19 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: March 9, 2018 14:29

It's the concert experience, the energy, and most of all seeing the band. Nothing can replace a look from Mick, Keith, or Ronnie. The energy and fun they have on stage is contagious. I love it!

Date: March 9, 2018 14:36

Monsoon Ragoon

I wonder what you wrote before you had to edit? Must have been really over the top.. smiling smiley

Date: March 9, 2018 14:44

Well interesting topic. When i see the Stones a lot of times on a tour I have to admit it sometimes is more about the setlist. I was very disapointed to not hear any 'unheard' songs my last 2 shows in 2017 (Dusseldorf en Arnhem).

One of the reasons i will only attent one (maybe two) show. I will enjoy it more.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2018 14:51

I don't think anyone sees the Stones for the set list because it hardly changes on a tour and never did unlike someone like Springsteen or Dylan during his fabulous 90s touring period.

That is why, after seeing them twice in Europe last year, two shows will be enough for me. They will play the same set list as Europe and little will change from gig to gig.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:19

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

I wonder what you wrote before you had to edit? Must have been really over the top.. smiling smiley

I only added "on stage". Btw. it was a joke. Calm down.

Date: March 9, 2018 16:21

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

I only added "on stage". Btw. it was a joke. Calm down.

Have I indicated in any way that I'm not calm? smiling smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:22

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 16:23 by Cooltoplady.

Date: March 9, 2018 16:27

syrel
Send It To me

I certainly enjoy rarities in the setlist, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a show consisting of 17 performances of Jumping Jack Flash and 2 Midnight Ramblers...

I would love to see a setlist consisting of two Jumping Jack flash and 17 Midnight Ramblers.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:31

I love the experience of traveling to see the Stones. I've met so many great people over the years and gone to a lot of amazing places near and far. And, after all these years, I still get that rush when the Stones finally hit the stage. I appreciate the one or two rarities they typically throw in the set list nowadays as well, but even hearing "Miss You" for the umpteen, millionth time still gets my feet moving.

Date: March 9, 2018 16:36

The set list USED TO change from one tour to the next.

Not that much "on a tour" but, the Stones used to offer more of a variety of songs when they played a more fixed set list on one tour and then changed it up for the next tour.

The second time that I went to one of their concerts,they performed 12 songs which were not performed the first time that I went.

The "No Security Tour" was very different (set list wise) from the "Bridges to Babylon Tour" despite some common songs between the two. They were both different from the "Voodoo Lounge Tour" which was different from the "Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle" tours and all of the above were different from '81/'82.

That's actually what got me hooked to keep going.

By the time 2015 rolled around,and I knew that it would be only one song or two different,I decided to only go to one show and sit in the upper deck for $90. Honestly,I was still expecting two songs different,maybe three if I was lucky ..... and got just one song different from what I heard in the past.

I missed "Moonlight Mile" which leads me to the point that this approach of making the set list SLIGHTLY different from one show to the next at the cost of the less performed songs being rotated around is actually a worse scenario for long time fans than sticking with a new fixed set list for a whole tour. For example,you didn't have to worry about missing "Monkey Man" (which was new to their live set at the time) in 1994.

Date: March 9, 2018 16:49

Winning Ugly VXII
The set list USED TO change from one tour to the next.

Not that much "on a tour" but, the Stones used to offer more of a variety of songs when they played a more fixed set list on one tour and then changed it up for the next tour.

The second time that I went to one of their concerts,they performed 12 songs which were not performed the first time that I went.

The "No Security Tour" was very different (set list wise) from the "Bridges to Babylon Tour" despite some common songs between the two. They were both different from the "Voodoo Lounge Tour" which was different from the "Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle" tours and all of the above were different from '81/'82.

That's actually what got me hooked to keep going.

By the time 2015 rolled around,and I knew that it would be only one song or two different,I decided to only go to one show and sit in the upper deck for $90. Honestly,I was still expecting two songs different,maybe three if I was lucky ..... and got just one song different from what I heard in the past.

I missed "Moonlight Mile" which leads me to the point that this approach of making the set list SLIGHTLY different from one show to the next at the cost of the less performed songs being rotated around is actually a worse scenario for long time fans than sticking with a new fixed set list for a whole tour. For example,you didn't have to worry about missing "Monkey Man" (which was new to their live set at the time) in 1994.

It started with the Licks stadium shows. From then on a large percentage of the songs remained in the setlist.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:54

georgemcdonnell314
syrel
Send It To me

I would love to see a setlist consisting of two Jumping Jack flash and 17 Midnight Ramblers.

Now that's just ridiculouswinking smiley

Date: March 9, 2018 17:31

Rockman
Just wanna see what footwear Ronnie is wearing ....

Just wanna see his face...

Date: March 9, 2018 17:32

corriecas
To get away from my wife.
Jeroen

Best answer yet. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:56

It would be interesting if they were to publish set lists a few days in advance for each show to see if people traveled to the shows they wanted. I might've got on a plane for "Moonlight Mile" and "Ruby Tuesday" or something

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home