Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: MC5 Kick Out the Jams 50th Anniversary Tour
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 2, 2018 02:37

Paddy
parislocksmith
"...and also memories of what a character Rob Tyner could be"

I got around to this thread a bit late, but it would be interesting to hear what he said about Tyner. Could you spare a minute or two, Brother Aquamarine?

In Vancouver he talked a little about Tyner, said he felt Rob didn't get the kudos he deserved as an artist or singer, said he was a very talented guy who could play pretty much anything. He also said that as Tyner got older he disowned some of the more revolutionary things the MC5 had done and been involved in, he didn't know why Tyner felt the need to disown part of his past. Mercurial was a word he used to describe Tyner, he also said that the band as a whole were mercurial.

That's all i can remember from the Vancouver meet and greet.

In Dallas he talked about how Tyner could get carried away with excitement and emotion, one example being that when they played venues that specified they wouldn't get paid if they cursed (as in, replace "Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!" with " . . brothers and sisters") Tyner would reluctantly agree, but often found he just couldn't help himself and Wayne would mentally see the money flying out the window. grinning smiley "You couldn't get mad at him, he was just completely in the moment."

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 2, 2018 04:11

His book is an excellent read, I highly recommend it.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: November 2, 2018 10:19

Thanks Aquamarine. Great story. He should have have changed it to "Kick out the jams, ladies and gentlemen." I'll get the book.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 8, 2018 19:26

So who else is going to see them at Shepherds Bush on Monday night ?

I was angling for the DJ gig but lost out to someone more famous - more here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Date: November 8, 2018 23:24

I read his book pretty much in one day. The early chapters are ripe with recovery ideology. What I saw as a most exciting era, somehow didn't quite take off: the MC5 shows.
It really grabbed me once he hit Lexington, and met Red. Those chapters are deep.

Date: November 11, 2018 08:04

Paddy
His book is an excellent read, I highly recommend it.

How can we forget to quote best line of the book: "Rough Trade from Venus".

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 12, 2018 23:39

Hello,

I saw this show last night in Manch...blimey!

Setlist first...no surprise, quite right too!

Ramblin' Rose
Kick Out the Jams
Come Together
Motor City Is Burning
Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)
Borderline
I Want You Right Now
Starship
Tonight
Shakin' Street
Gotta Keep Movin'
I Can Only Give You Everything
(Them cover)
Call Me Animal
Sister Anne
(with Michael Monroe)
Let Me Try
(with Michael Monroe)
Looking at You

This was about as far removed from the KC show the previous night as it's possible to get! For starters, they roped-in ex-Hanoi Rocks frontman Michael Monroe and his band to open the proceedings: as far as MM is concerned, it's still 1984 and he is Finland's very own Dave Lee Roth! Simply, he and his band were the highest octane opener that I've seen in a while...not wasting a minute up there.

He was moving all over the shop- climbing on top of the stacks and even scaling up to the baclony where I was...I know, word must've got out that I was in da house, right? Anyway, they were top value and the perfect choice for what followed about 30 minutes later...

And what did happen was Wayne Kramer playing a ton of MC5 songs like there was no tomorrow- I did wonder if this would be a damp squib and the bizarre fact that this show had sold really badly (the first time that I've seen the balcony not open to general seating) despite a reasonable price of £30. Apparently even Group On were doing a twofer offer on this one. Gawd...

In the event, the MO of the band was simply to tear us all a new one, sonically-speaking. The band was still a five-piece with Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) on guitar, Brendan Canty (Fugazi) on drums, Billy Gould (Faith No More) on bass and the towering Marcus Durant (Zen Guerilla) on vocals and absolutely looking the part. Out of the original loons only Wayne Kramer is involved. Drummer Dennis Thompson declined to be onboard for this 50th anniverary celebration of the album, whilst the other guys have good excuses on account of being toast, unfortunately.

The sound was pretty bloody loud as you'd expect and the playing ferocious at times- nobody was phoning this one in. WK didn't go too heavy on the polemic, thankfully and the good news is that we, The People, still have the power in our hands so get out and vote. So there!

They brought the shy and retiring Mr Monroe back out for the encore and it was like he'd never been away, hah-hah! Good on you Brother Wayne, and good on that wonderful-looking guitar!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 13, 2018 00:04

Nice one, Simon!

Got my email today verifying my order of the limited edition recording of the live Detroit show—if experience is any guide, it will probably be a year before the standard version is out, though hopefully they’ll push this one though more quickly than usual.

Date: November 13, 2018 00:06

thumbs up

Date: November 13, 2018 12:59

Simon, could you email me at simon@onlyrockandroll.london ? I would love to use some of your pics from last night on my blog (suitably credited). Thank you. SimonW

Date: November 13, 2018 13:26

I "reviewed" or judged Wayne's book too early. First off, it gets better and better as his tale progresses. The writing, the emotional impact.
But I think when I had replied to Paddy here in the thread, I may have still had some pages left to read. But in my mind I thought "oh ok, Wayne gets clean, finds spirituality, re-marries bla bla.." been there, done that.
I think I was reverting to arrogance because his story is very similar to my own, and I preferred not reading any more. It's good book, by a righteous man.

Date: November 13, 2018 14:24

My review of last nights London MC50 gig here [onlyrockandroll.london]

(with thanks to Simon N for the use of his photos)

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: November 13, 2018 23:59

Saw this in Manchester on Sunday night, while i'm not that familiar with MC5 outside of KOTJ album, it was very enjoyable. Kramer obviously delighted with the great reception (looked like tears at the end), and a fabulous group (Kim Thayhil in particular was great, having never seen Soundgarden a real treat). Well worth catching if you get chance. No Matt Cameron in the european shows (Fugazi drummer instead) but rock solid rhythm section with Billy from Faith no More on bass. The singer (from zen gorilla) is a sight to behold, looked about 7 foot tall from where i was stood and a real stage presence. Great stuff

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: November 13, 2018 23:59

PS - great pics thanks for sharing
and review too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-14 00:00 by yorkshirestone.

Date: November 14, 2018 23:50

MC50 @ London, first three songs [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 15, 2018 09:27

Palace Revolution 2000
I "reviewed" or judged Wayne's book too early. First off, it gets better and better as his tale progresses. The writing, the emotional impact.
But I think when I had replied to Paddy here in the thread, I may have still had some pages left to read. But in my mind I thought "oh ok, Wayne gets clean, finds spirituality, re-marries bla bla.." been there, done that.
I think I was reverting to arrogance because his story is very similar to my own, and I preferred not reading any more. It's good book, by a righteous man.

Oddly my own life has been similar also and I spoke to him about that invisible black X on your forehead you never feels washes off no matter what you have done in your life since. In that sense he is a truly righteous man as he has gotten involved in jail door guitars and seems a genuinely grateful at peace guy. He’s accepted his X as it were and is at terms with who he was as a younger man.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home