Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Rock and roll regrets
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 5, 2018 18:12

Sighunt
...never having seen Led Zeppelin, Tina Turner, Tom Petty, or Prince in concert.

Shoot- I forgot to add Bowie to the list! Oh crap, this is gonna get longer as I could not work out my schedule to see reunion tours by Cream and the Police!

However, I am not going to cry in my soup too much as I have been very fortunate to have caught some pretty legendary musical entertainers in my life including Elvis (not Costello), Chuck Berry, BB King, Bruce Springsteen (over 10 times since the 1980's), Eric Clapton, U2, Grateful Dead (with Garcia three shows in the 1970's), Stones (15 times since the 1970's), Dylan (Rolling Thunder Review 1970's), Frank Zappa (1970's) Jethro Tull (1970's), Billy Preston (1970's), Yes, Elton John, Billy Joel, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor, Herbie Hancock, Dave Brubeck (jazz pianist 3 times), Sonny Rollins, Diana Krall, etc....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2018 18:57

Great call on James Taylor and Faces in 70's.

Trying to keep it realistic as I was too young for Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Robert Johnson, etc. You know, band or artist I could have actually seen.

Loved the comment about being born in London 1945. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 19:14 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 5, 2018 19:06

Of shows I could have seen, Nirvana played a club in STL in 91. I had to work late and was too exhausted to go. I figured they would be around for years and I d get to see them another time....

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 5, 2018 19:06

Ramones
the Faces
Zep
The White Stripes

That's about it, I think.
(at least for the ones I would have been able to see. Sure thing I regret never ever have seen Robert Johnson perform; but hey...)

EDIT: added the White Stripes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 13:27 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2018 19:30

This one was kind of out of my hands, but still a regret:

Led Zeppelin in L.A. '77 - had a chance as my older bro had a ticket, but I was only 13, living in Arizona, and basically stuck.

And this one is my biggest regret - I made a foolish choice, but how was I to know he would pass away soon?:

Bob Marley at the Roxy '79 - again my bro had a spare ticket, but I had other plans that night to attend a high school party. Still kick myself a bit over that one.

Other than that, my cup runneth over of seeing great concerts. From Pink Floyd The Wall twice , Stones 50+ times (including small clubs a few times),
Stevie Ray Vaughan five times, The Clash three times, Neil and Dylan multiple times, US Festival 83 all three nights, Desert Trip both weekends....etc., etc., etc.,.......the list goes on and on....

When all is said and done, can't complain and any regrets are softened by knowing what I have beeen able to experience.
But Bob Marley...DAMMIT I was such a FOOL!!! eye popping smiley sad smiley

winking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 5, 2018 19:47

schillid
Stones No Security tour
The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Cream

Doors

Led Zep

lots more...

In bold, were my first 3 concerts (in that order), also, I've seen Zeppelin 18 times between 1970 and 1977.

My regrets would be not seeing Pink Floyd, Grand Funk, and yes, even Oasis.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 5, 2018 20:46

BluzDude
schillid
Stones No Security tour
The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Cream

Doors

Led Zep

lots more...

In bold, were my first 3 concerts (in that order), also, I've seen Zeppelin 18 times between 1970 and 1977.

My regrets would be not seeing Pink Floyd, Grand Funk, and yes, even Oasis.

I'm impressed with people on this site that got to see Hendrix, Cream and the Doors. That was a little before my time. However, I did catch Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here tour), and Grand Funk (very loud concert-up there with Steel Wheels in Syracuse, NY) in the 1970's.

PS- A friend of my older brother's saw Hendrix when he opened up for the Monkees of all people!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 5, 2018 20:52

I regret...

never having seen Fats Domino

missing out Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson

never having seen the Bee Gees

not having been at the Stones 1973 concert (I was too Young and I still was not aware of them)

not having talked longer with Mick Taylor after a club gig, he was very Kind, and it was a pleasure Meeting him (but the guy I was with got a little reluctant)

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 5, 2018 21:07

I think my biggest regret was Mick going solo in the 80's, not that there was anything wrong with Mick doing his own thing, just that it was a bit pointless as Mick offered nothing different or new and it was bellow the standard of Stones albums leading up to that point. And of course it meant i didn't get to see the best live band in the world play live until 1990.

That was a very long 8 year wait to see them, possibly it was at a time when they might have been at their best, a bit younger fitter and hungrier than in 89' 90'
Keith would have been on fire during these years judging by the odd appearances he made during that time.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 5, 2018 21:41

Mine are twofold.

In 1994, I went to Glastonbury, but partook of illicit substances at the time. I thus missed Johnny Cash, and never saw him live again.

Secondly, I was offered in 1991 tickets for Miles Davis in Cardiff. My thoughts were that Miles' music, at the time, was poor and that he would improve and create something on a par with Tutu (an album I love). Amandla wasn't that wonderful, or so I thought. I declined the offer of a Miles ticket, thinking he'd be back around again, but Miles passed away in September 1991, to my regret, and I never saw him live yet I could've.

However, I'm blessed in that I've seen the Stones at Wembley Stadium twice: once at the Urban Jungle, and the other time at Voodoo Lounge. I preferred Voodoo. I've seen the Everly Brothers, John Prine, Neil Young, Elvis Costello four times, Bob Dylan at Brixton (totally brilliant in 1995) with Elvis Costello as support, Nirvana at Reading Rock, Preservation Hall Jazz Orchestra, Allen Toussaint, Mavis Staples, The Kronos Quartet, Bruce Springsteen, Dr John, Jerry Lee Lewis, Van Morrison, Babes In Toyland, Pearl Jam.

Ultimately, the best of them, apart from the Stones, was Jerry Lee Lewis. This was in 1989 at Hammersmith, and he had a load of special guests on with him. However, there was only one main attraction, and that was the Killer. He told Brian May to turn the effin' volume down, and he did some amazing tunes purely from memory, rather than setlist. I can easily remember a great Comin' Back For More, and Bottles & Barstools, from this gig. Plus Van Morrison duetting on Goodnight Irene, and What'd I Say.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 5, 2018 22:53

Elvis - Had a chance to see him in Eugene, Oregon lees than a year before his death but did not go.

The Yardbirds at the Santa Monica Civic. I regret skipping that show.

Blind Faith at the LA Forum: went to see Lee Michaels instead, who said he would rather have been at the Blind Faith show!

But I was fortunate to have seen most of the ‘60’s heavyweights, including The Beatles, Stones (with Brian, Mick Taylor, and Ronnie), Hendrix, Cream, Grateful Dead, The Band, Creedence, Zeppelin, Tull, Santana, Ten Years After, Chicago (when they were CTA), Fleetwood Mac (original lineup), Kinks, in a club, Three Dog Night, and many more. What a golden era of rock!

Date: March 5, 2018 23:06

35love
No.
What’s done, is done.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: March 5, 2018 23:20

DaveG

Blind Faith at the LA Forum: went to see Lee Michaels instead, who said he would rather have been at the Blind Faith show!

Frosty vs. Ginger Baker.....what a choice!
(actually, I thought Frosty was a good drummer)

Date: March 5, 2018 23:34

BluzDude
DaveG

Ha! Yeah, Frosty was very good, had his own unique style. Anyway, I had seen Ginger with Cream! The Michaels show was in a strip mall parking lot!

Date: March 5, 2018 23:48

DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG

Ha! Yeah, Frosty was very good, had his own unique style. Anyway, I had seen Ginger with Cream! The Michaels show was in a strip mall parking lot!

I've seen Lee Michaels several times as an opening act, he always kept my interest. I also saw him at a filming of the Midnight Special (went to a bunch of those). But I was at the Blind Faith Forum show in '69, glad I didn't miss it.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 5, 2018 23:49

I didn`t go see Emerson, Lake & Palmer for once in my life when I lived in Oslo in the 90s. I think it was at Sentrum Scene. What was I thinking of? (Well, I know; I didn`t regard them very high at the time).

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:00

Ugh...I've got a few regrets.

Leonard Cohen...but I was in the parking lot picking something up for someone for some reason but couldn't afford to go. Very disappointing. I thought to myself "Oh he'll be back" Famous last words.

Prince came here back in 2003 or something. I was curious to go but didn't. Wish I had.

Was asked if I wanted to go to David Bowie when he was still touring. I said no as the only song I liked of his was Golden Years. I've since discovered several others that I like.

Passed on Page and Plant back in the day. That's probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing them where I live.

Clapton came around and I passed. I doubt I'll ever get the chance to see him again.

Johnny Winter...I would have liked to have seen him. But I couldn't afford to go.

Thankfully, when the Stones came for two shows in three nights I wisely decided to go to both even though it cost me a mint. Every time Bob Dylan comes, I'm there. My two top bands I would never miss.

Date: March 6, 2018 00:14

BluzDude
DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG

I've seen Lee Michaels several times as an opening act, he always kept my interest. I also saw him at a filming of the Midnight Special (went to a bunch of those). But I was at the Blind Faith Forum show in '69, glad I didn't miss it.

I had no idea he had been on Midnight Special. I saw him probably 10 times in and around the LA area, manly as a headliner, although a few times as a support act, most notably for CCR at the Hollywood Bowl. I love the sound of the Hammond B3, and at that time nobody brought it better than Lee!

Date: March 6, 2018 00:18

DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG

I had no idea he had been on Midnight Special. I saw him probably 10 times in and around the LA area, manly as a headliner, although a few times as a support act, most notably for CCR at the Hollywood Bowl. I love the sound of the Hammond B3, and at that time nobody brought it better than Lee!

Was that the show that also had the Grass Roots on the bill, and they played twice as long as CCR? (They only had 2 albums out at the time plus the single of Bad Moon Rising)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:25

Led Zeppelin, but I hear they'll be back in some incarnation so yay!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:37

RollingFreak

Can I just say this?
How about the topic of a reunion is never to be uttered again
until they (2,3, or 4) get in the same room,
with instruments and microphones,
and actually play together a song.
When is the last time Page and Plant were together making music?
Years ago, right? Many many years ago, yes?
Put your money where your mouth is.

Date: March 6, 2018 00:41

BluzDude
DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG

Was that the show that also had the Grass Roots on the bill, and they played twice as long as CCR? (They only had 2 albums out at the time plus the single of Bad Moon Rising)

Yes, that was the show! Grass Roots with a very long opening set!

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:41

Prince
Pink Floyd (Division Bell Tour)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:47

Getting chicken pox the day before I was supposed to see Hendrix. sad smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:48

35love
RollingFreak

Can I just say this?
How about the topic of a reunion is never to be uttered again
until they (2,3, or 4) get in the same room,
with instruments and microphones,
and actually play together a song.
When is the last time Page and Plant were together making music?
Years ago, right? Many many years ago, yes?
Put your money where your mouth is.
Would be good, right?

Date: March 6, 2018 00:48

Aquamarine
Getting chicken pox the day before I was supposed to see Hendrix. sad smiley

Ouch! angry smiley

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: March 6, 2018 00:50

I got offered a ticket to Prince at Manchester Academy for face value in 2014 and turned it down as I was moving apartments that day. Still hurts that one

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 6, 2018 01:00

Cant really count Elvis, Bob Marley or The Beatles due to age (or in Elvis' case, geography)

Two 'coulda and shoulda' ones that stick out was passing up the opportunity to see Sinatra in Dublin in 1987 on the Main Event tour as I just assumed he was past it. The wife was more of a fan than me, although i grew to appreciate him more later on. As it turned out, everyone I did know who saw the gig said he was fantastic.

The other one was when The Highwaymen (Cash, Jennings, Nelson and Kristofferson) played Belfast around '91 and a guy in work who knew the promoter had some surplus tickets and offered me a couple. Again, whilst I liked Cash and always did, I wasnt a big fan of this sort of music at the time and declined. Never got to see Johnny.

Missing out on Ulster Hall shows by The Clash, Dr Feelgood, The Ramones and The Kinks around 1979-81 were gigs that in retrospect I should have tried to go to. I did see the Clash eventually but it was in 1984 and the Mk II version without Mick Jones.

Like a few others I was too young to see Led Zep but applied unsuccessfully for the reunion 02 gig in 2007

Other acts I did see a few times but (being a big fan) should have seen far more :

Bowie - 2 shows (83 and 87)
Prince - 3 shows (92 plus an 02 Arena and Indigo2 club show in 07)
Lou Reed - 2 shows (once opening for u2)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 01:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2018 01:21

RollingFreak

Crossing into other threads with your typical cynical/sarcasm when discussing Led Zeppelin? eye rolling smiley

Enjoy the Led Zeppelin tribute with members of Living Colour show lol.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 6, 2018 01:23

1. Led Zeppelin at 02. I had tickets to US tour cancelled when Bonzo bit it. I was in midst of major work deadline at would have been a 36 hour SF to London round trip that would have cost $10K. Figured they would your the US after.

2. Bob Marley & The Wailers at Hynes Auditorium in Boston which turned out to be 2nd to last show. Was offered ticket but said I will see him next time.

3. Cream at MSG. Wasn't able to get the seats I wanted so passed on it.

4. Keef and the New Barbarians in 1979. My friend had 4 tickets and I didn't insist on one so my friends went.

5. Grateful Dead at Marin Civic Center in 1983 when the broke out St. Stephen. She kept me in bed and wouldn't let me leave. We broke up soon after that. I hear it sound checked at Greensboro.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home