Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Charlie Watts: it wouldn't bother me if Rolling Stones split
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2018 18:03

Monsoon Ragoon
RockingLonestar
Javadave
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no way the final Rolling Stones show ever is in Poland.

That´s what I think, too.
But maybe there is another show in the summer somewhere else in Europe (maybe inEngland or the US).

I don't think the tour will end in Poland. They will add something in Holland or Scandinavia maybe.

Doubt it. Any extra shows will be in late May-mid June. They wont be spending more than two months on the road.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 28, 2018 18:05

NICOS
Hairball
“I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs.
But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius.”

Evidently he's not a Bowie fan which somehow doesn't surprise me, but a bit harsh and not a very respectful way of putting it.

Disapointing comment from Charlie.......I don't think he knows what Bowie did in the past........

You people on music forums are unreal. You just can't put up with someone's elses opinion about other musicians. Was he supposed to lie about hoe he feels?

I feel the same way as he does. Bowie is dime a dozen for me.

It's pretty obvious by now that the Stones are going to go until health problems take them down. Nobody can predict when that will be.

I used to think they should give it up and it was getting ridiculous, but I am at the point no were I feel like what they are doing is great. Small tours all the time. Jagger said after their last huge tour that this was going to be the way it was going to happen from that point on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 18:09 by stanlove.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 28, 2018 18:17

Javadave
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no way the final Rolling Stones show ever is in Poland.

^^^
grinning smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 28, 2018 21:07

dcba
stonehearted

He's a jazz drummer who wound up in a rock band, but stayed with it because it pays for the wardrobe, the horses, the country gentleman lifestyle, the collection of cars he never drives, etc.

"He's a jazz drummer who wound up in a rock band, but stayed with it because"...

he's loyal to death to Keef who he adores. As long as Keef will tell him "alrite Charlie, one more time!" he'll be there.
It's a beautiful story of friendship that has nothing to do with money.

This is heart warming and i also believe this to be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 23:59 by keithsman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2018 21:14

matxil
Hairball
“I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs.

Evidently he's not a Bowie fan which somehow doesn't surprise me, but a bit harsh and not a very respectful way of putting it.

Why? I fully agree with Charlie but even if you do think Bowie was a genius, I don't think it's an insult to say he wasn't.
It depends on what you call "genius" I guess. The only guy in pop music I maybe would call a genius is Paul McCartney but even that would be an exaggeration (I know I spelled that wrong, but whatever).

I didn't say it was an insult, just a bit insensitive - mainly for those fans who think Bowie is a genius.
And depending on how you define genius, I'd say he was even though I'm not the worlds biggest Bowie fan.

From Oxford dictionary:

1. Exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
2. An exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity.

Even as a casual fan, I think Bowie fits both of those descriptions, and clearly has written more than just "a couple of good songs". Of course Charlie can say and think whatever he wants, but thought it was a bit out of character (someone mentioned it sounds like something Keith would say). And as someone else mentioned, he might have been criticizing something he doesn't fully understand or relate to, and is slightly out of touch.
After all, jazz is all he really cares about in the big scheme of things.

As for McCartney being a genius - I agree that he is...or at least he once was...unless you believe that once a genius always a genius.

keithsman
If Charlie doesn't "get" Bowie why mention him at all.

And to say he only wrote two good songs is an insult to the man who recently died.

I'm a big Bowie fan and the man was a genius. Period.

And there you have it - testimony from a big Bowie fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 21:21 by Hairball.

Date: February 28, 2018 22:22

keithsman
If Charlie doesn't "get" Bowie why mention him at all.

And to say he only wrote two good songs is an insult to the man who recently died.

I'm a big Bowie fan and the man was a genius. Period.

More of the typical music forum stuff.

You can think he wrote alot of good songs so that makes it a fact and Charlie's opinion is wrong.

It's your opinion that Bowie was a genius and nothing but your opinion.

What does recently dying have to do with anything. More typical music forum rules. That one is always really odd to me. When a movie directer or an actor dies do we have to pretend that they were something that we don't think they were? How long do we have to act like this for? Is that for anyone who ever died?

Strange stuff.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 28, 2018 23:05

stanlove
You people on music forums are unreal. You just can't put up with someone's elses opinion about other musicians.

Kind of the pot calling the kettle black -- can't stand it that others hold a high opinion of an artist you don't like.

stanlove
More of the typical music forum stuff. It's your opinion that Bowie was a genius and nothing but your opinion.

Just like it's nothing but your opinion that he wasn't.

Typical music forum mentality -- attacking others for not sharing your opinion.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 28, 2018 23:23

KevinLocksPerm
KingmanBarstow
Maybe while the adrenaline is still flowing after the tour a brief 3 or 4 night residency somewhere before the end of the year to do what everyone has been clamouring for - a non warhorse set as a send off for the year to the diehards. A Stripped Part Deux.

Re: retirement, it’s also about when “your friends start retiring around you and you are the last man standing!”

No. Just finish the tour and say nothing. We all know it can't go on forever. Just leave it finished in an unfinished kind of way. Enigmatic.

Agree.
Wait, I’m not sure I agree.
I think I’m ready to retire (Ha) that's true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 23:28 by 35love.

Date: March 1, 2018 00:26

stonehearted
stanlove
You people on music forums are unreal. You just can't put up with someone's elses opinion about other musicians.

Kind of the pot calling the kettle black -- can't stand it that others hold a high opinion of an artist you don't like.

stanlove
More of the typical music forum stuff. It's your opinion that Bowie was a genius and nothing but your opinion.

Just like it's nothing but your opinion that he wasn't.

Typical music forum mentality -- attacking others for not sharing your opinion.

All wrong. I was pointing how that it's stupid to say Watts is wrong because his opinion is different then someone else's. There is no right or wrong..

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 1, 2018 00:33

stanlove
All wrong. I was pointing how that it's stupid to say Watts is wrong because his opinion is different then someone else's. There is no right or wrong..

First you say that what I said is "all wrong" then you say that "there is no right or wrong".

Am I right?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 1, 2018 00:55

stanlove

You people

YOU PEOPLE!!...

FYI-
It is OK to be wrongly right if you left in the right way.

Date: March 1, 2018 02:18

stonehearted
stanlove

First you say that what I said is "all wrong" then you say that "there is no right or wrong".

Am I right?

Like talking to a wall. Will try one more time and if you still don't get it then get someone to help you.

Watts gave an opinion. A few posted that factually his opinion is wrong. For that to be true there would have to be a way to measure these things. There is not.

I said MY opinion about Bowie and that t is.

Typical person on a music board. You just can't figure out that an opinion makes it fact. Again get some help if you are still having trouble.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2018 02:28

....easy easy boys .... life's toooooo short...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 1, 2018 02:35

Basically, Mr Watts is old school - like Mr Richards. Their "geniuses" are from the 40s and 50s. Mostly from the 40s in Charlie's case.
Sir Michael, on the other hand, are more up to date with "modern" music and don't mind following trends or exploring new things.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 1, 2018 02:43

Nice to see a few great interviews with Charlie this week. He seems content to keep going. Such a sweetie.

Date: March 1, 2018 02:44

Basically, Mr Watts is old school - like Mr Richards. Their "geniuses" are from the 40s and 50s. Mostly from the 40s in Charlie's case.

hhhhhmmmmm not so sure about that ... In some interviews Charlie will often surprise one with his knowledge or mention of modern performers...rappers..artists

ROCKMAN

Date: March 1, 2018 03:20

Charlie talking about rappers?
Not doubting, but please provide an example!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 1, 2018 05:49

Hairball

I am a Bowie fan, and I don't find what he said to be disrespectful in any way. He doesn't like Bowie..... Big deal!

Jesus Christ.......What is it with all these snowflakes these days. They can't wait to find something they can be offended by.

Date: March 1, 2018 06:16

strat72
Hairball

I am a Bowie fan, and I don't find what he said to be disrespectful in any way. He doesn't like Bowie..... Big deal!

Jesus Christ.......What is it with all these snowflakes these days. They can't wait to find something they can be offended by.

Yeah no big deal, and I didn't take personal offense.
Never been referred to as a snowflake before, but I think you might have just hurt my feelings a little bit. winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2018 06:28

Harlem Shuffler
Imagine what would happen if an IORRian had said it wouldn't bother them if the Stones split! They would probably get banned from posting ever again.

Think again.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: March 1, 2018 08:33

We all like different music. Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing (e.g I quite like Dirty Work...)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2018 08:42

Why all this fuzz about Bowie? I do completely agree with Charlie. I was a superfan of David Bowie during Ziggy Stardust and Alladin Sane and that time frame. I did even dig Ashes to Ashes and a bit more. I wsent to shows with Bowie in large venues and spent as much energy on Bowie as the Stones. It wasn't that hard in thise days, when the Stones were not anywhere near my area. But then Bowie did his experimental stuff which did not make any sense to me. May be Charlie did not get it either. Do leave Charlie alone on his opinions. Why all the fuzz about what he is saying? Why analyze everyu word every opinion and start WW3 just because he don't dig Bowie like a true Bowie fan? All he said was a few words in an interview. Those other words he said wer a lot more interesting to me.

Bjornulf

Date: March 1, 2018 09:36

Charlie talking about rappers?
Not doubting, but please provide an example!

HHHaaaaaaaa ... ya gotta be kidding ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: March 1, 2018 10:44

Bowie had made Low, Heroes, Station To Station, an the albums with Iggy Pop, The Idiot, Lust For Life are masterpieces. I'm a big Stones fan and collector too, and i mean not on my hard drive, but lp's and cd's. But the last great Stones album was Undercover. Bowie had made The Next Day and Blackstar the last years, great albums. Stones concerts are for almost 30 years the same thing, every tour the same songs over and over. Look at Bowie setlist from the last tour, every night complete different setlist. That's being creative.

Date: March 1, 2018 10:56

GasLightStreet
Harlem Shuffler
Imagine what would happen if an IORRian had said it wouldn't bother them if the Stones split! They would probably get banned from posting ever again.

Think again.

Yeah, like that never happened before! grinning smiley

People are still around, though, so that assumption is false..

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 1, 2018 11:05

How many songs has Charlie Watts written?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 1, 2018 11:19

BOW2007
Bowie had made Low, Heroes, Station To Station, an the albums with Iggy Pop, The Idiot, Lust For Life are masterpieces. I'm a big Stones fan and collector too, and i mean not on my hard drive, but lp's and cd's. But the last great Stones album was Undercover. Bowie had made The Next Day and Blackstar the last years, great albums. Stones concerts are for almost 30 years the same thing, every tour the same songs over and over. Look at Bowie setlist from the last tour, every night complete different setlist. That's being creative.

I tried Blackstar and wow, was I annoyed in less than 10 minutes. It was like listening to Arcade Fire, another example of pretentious, pseudo-artistic, sleep-inducing hot air.
The only album I like of those three (Iggy Pop, Bowie, Lou Reed), is Berlin by Lou Reed and that is generally considered his worst album for some reason.

Anyway, there's another thread here on this forum where you can actually see the entire interview (or maybe it's a different one, he says a lot of similar things but "mr. genius" is not mentioned). Charlie is much more talkative than he usually is, and the complete opposite of any rock star, which makes it fun to watch and listen to.

Date: March 1, 2018 11:22

terraplane

Probably none. Why? He didn't compare himself with Bowie - nor did he say he was a genius himself smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 1, 2018 11:32

DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Probably none. Why? He didn't compare himself with Bowie - nor did he say he was a genius himself smiling smiley

thumbs up
Indeed. I can't paint nor draw, but I do think Rembrandt was a genius (and Miró wasn't).

By the way, doesn't Charlie write stuff for his solo-albums or are these all jazz-classics? I shamefully have to admit I never listened to any of Charlie's solo stuff.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 1, 2018 11:51

DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Correct. He is just stating his opinion. Nothing more nothing less. He is not a songwriter.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home