Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Charlie Watts: it wouldn't bother me if Rolling Stones split
Date: February 28, 2018 10:36

Javadave
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no way the final Rolling Stones show ever is in Poland.

Hehe, not very controversial, I'd say smiling smiley

The gig in the tent at Gillette's won't be their last US-gig, either, I presume..

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: February 28, 2018 10:54

Javadave
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no way the final Rolling Stones show ever is in Poland.

That´s what I think, too.
But maybe there is another show in the summer somewhere else in Europe (maybe inEngland or the US).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:15

I am missing a like button on this forum, so here goes: thumbs up

Date: February 28, 2018 11:18

Hairball
“I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs.
But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius.”

Evidently he's not a Bowie fan which somehow doesn't surprise me, but a bit harsh and not a very respectful way of putting it.

Why? I fully agree with Charlie but even if you do think Bowie was a genius, I don't think it's an insult to say he wasn't.
It depends on what you call "genius" I guess. The only guy in pop music I maybe would call a genius is Paul McCartney but even that would be an exaggeration (I know I spelled that wrong, but whatever).

Date: February 28, 2018 11:19

Stoneage
Harlem Shuffler
Imagine what would happen if an IORRian had said it wouldn't bother them if the Stones split! They would probably get banned from posting ever again.

Probably. He would be called a whiner and told to leave the forum!

I've been saying so quite some times in the "The New Album Is Coming Tomorrow" thread, and I am still here...

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:21

keefriff99
I'm still surprised by how many people here are convinced that this year is the end for the Stones as a touring entity.

Stones fans have been attempting in vain to predict this fateful moment for going on three decades, but this time feels different.

Well i suppose it feels different for a couple reasons.

Charlie is 77 this summer, he can't be expected to play at the level needed by him for much longer.

Looking at Charlie in that interview with Ronnie live yesterday and listening to him left me with the impression he was hoping this would be the last set of shows. He was hinting that it would be OK by him.

Ronnie also looked and sounded his age, these guys have given their all, we can't ask for more from them without being selfish. Nothing wrong in iorr fans thinking in terms of this being perhaps the Stones saying farewell to their fans in Britain.
This really could be the last time this time. No negativity attached to anyone suggesting this, i personally think the Stones have all earned the right to a few years of retirement before its too late to enjoy it in good health.

Having said that if they all want to continue, that's fantastic too, but i didn't get that impression from Charlie. I thought he was dropping the hint that he's had enough. Just hope it doesn't end in Warsaw though.

So hey, if this is the final lap of honour, better grab a cheap lucky dip or expensive ticket now before it's too late.

Date: February 28, 2018 11:22

keefriff99
24FPS
He probably doesn't get Bowie. Charlie must equate musical genius with the ability to play an instrument. Bowie was an artist, making music with new and interesting ideas. He sometimes employed ahead of their time uses like electronic music in the mid-70s. Unfortunately we're also living in a time when mastery of an instrument no longer matters. It would be interesting to know who Charlie respects, if anyone, for that in rock and roll. Whether Charlie feels Hendrix was a musical genius, which I surely do, arguably the best of the 20th Century, up there with Charlie Parker and Buddy Rich.
Exactly! Why any halfway knowledgeable Stones fan would express surprise or dismay over Charlie's comments is beyond me.

It's common knowledge that Charlie isn't a rock'n'roll fan..hell, he barely likes his own band's music! Why would anyone expect him to be into David friggin' Bowie of all people?

He simply said that he was a nice guy but not a genius. Now, that's as close to being provably false as you can get when it comes to an opinion...Bowie certainly WAS brilliant, but it's not like Charlie besmirched him in any way.

Probably most of the Stones would not think Bowie was a genius. Mick Jagger maybe, and maybe Ronnie too. But even from them I doubt it. Jagger doesn't think of people like "geniuses", and Ronnie, well, Ronnie likes everyone and tends to be over-enthusiastic, but he'd probably use a different word.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:27

Time waits for no one. There will be a day when the Stones do not tour anymore. Every show might be the last one. It is just statistics and probability. Warsaw is the last show in the horizon right now. May be MSG later on, in half a year or so, who knows, may be Tokyo, May be something else. May be I win the lottery, who knows. If you want to see the Stones live then don't wait until the next tour. Like Charlie, I am happy with whatever they do. I live now, not in the future.

Bjornulf

Date: February 28, 2018 11:28

If Charlie doesn't "get" Bowie why mention him at all.

And to say he only wrote two good songs is an insult to the man who recently died.

I'm a big Bowie fan and the man was a genius. Period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 11:31 by keithsman.

Date: February 28, 2018 11:32

keithsman

Why say i'm surprised so many people were sad that he died.

And to say he only wrote two good songs is an insult to the man who recently died.

To be honest, I think early Bowie was musically just copying the Beatles, and added some gimmicks for image. Late Bowie was well done pop music, but pretty average. "Ashes to Ashes" was kinda interesting.
In any case, the statements you posted are not what Charlie said, so, really, there's no reason to be upset about the interview. You just don't agree with him, that's all.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:34

Javadave

I am completely with you there thumbs up
smileys with beer

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:39

So, I do believe in Charly's thoughts.
But I don't think they are finishing in Warsow, (Poland)
The last show will be worldwide on tv, that's my opinion.(but when?)

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:39

I think with a slogan like No Stopping, we will not see the last show for a while.

Date: February 28, 2018 11:47

bv
Time waits for no one. There will be a day when the Stones do not tour anymore. Every show might be the last one. It is just statistics and probability. Warsaw is the last show in the horizon right now. May be MSG later on, in half a year or so, who knows, may be Tokyo, May be something else. May be I win the lottery, who knows. If you want to see the Stones live then don't wait until the next tour. Like Charlie, I am happy with whatever they do. I live now, not in the future.

Tokyo ... I like that one, Björnulf ...
with lots of sake (not Charlie though) and sushi smileys with beer
Anyway, I hope you win the lottery, you deserve it. And if you do, you buy me the sushi winking smiley

Date: February 28, 2018 11:55

matxil
keithsman

To be honest, I think early Bowie was musically just copying the Beatles, and added some gimmicks for image. Late Bowie was well done pop music, but pretty average. "Ashes to Ashes" was kinda interesting.
In any case, the statements you posted are not what Charlie said, so, really, there's no reason to be upset about the interview. You just don't agree with him, that's all.

I might not have worded what Charlie said perfectly but i think i got the message right.

Keith has said similar things about Bowie but this was before he died.

Its just strange that Charlie said it now, so recently after Bowie's death, not like Charlie at all.

Ok Charlie said he was a nice man but i think Bowie would rather be remembered for all the amazing songs he wrote. It was a put down, but of course that is Charlies opinion and i only expressed mine in reaction.

By the way as much as i like Bowie, The Who, Led Zep and Pink Floyd, none of them come close to the Stones for me.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:06

little queenie
I think with a slogan like No Stopping, we will not see the last show for a while.

But then again, when starting to emphasize things like that, like "look, we supermen will never stop, and we are still like we always used to", after decades of trying to justify for not stopping, that can be a sign of realizing the mortality is catching them up... So I take the slogan of "No Stopping" just as a PR trick trying to give the impression of the band being as good as ever, and still something worth to go to see. The Stones, by this logic, have gone above the utility of 'last tour ever' - something they have never claimed, but surely knowing people thinking in those terms - by now people know they will continue as far as they can. The issue is more: are they still up to the task.

Like BV said above, for all of us, the Stones included, any day can be the last. We all know that.

- Doxa

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:23

RockingLonestar
Javadave

But maybe there is another show in the summer somewhere else in Europe (maybe inEngland or the US).

I don't think the tour will end in Poland. They will add something in Holland or Scandinavia maybe.

Date: February 28, 2018 12:25

Monsoon Ragoon
RockingLonestar
Javadave

I don't think the tour will end in Poland. They will add something in Holland or Scandinavia maybe.

Perhaps, but I don't think they'll decide to call it a day in Nijmegen or Oslo, either...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:36

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
RockingLonestar
Javadave

Perhaps, but I don't think they'll decide to call it a day in Nijmegen or Oslo, either...

Who knows. They already finished in strange places such as Istanbul. Maybe Amsterdam or Paris. No problem to fill these arenas again. They could fill a show there every year. London is unlikely if they really announce another stadium show for May.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:37

If they announce US shows after Warsaw,
I’m pretty sure my marriage will be over winking smiley
Part of me thinks the UK first 1/2
will be emotional
but they then have 5 large rock shows after
to keep it together for-
I am not so sure they want to face out to the audience themselves
a vulnerable goodbye
and let’s rock a large show at the same time.
I see no official warm hugging we love you, don’t go, teary so longs
from this group.
It’s enough boo hooing during Keef’s 2-fer (Slipping Away)
P.S.
No crying in the Pit.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:48

matxil
keithsman

Copying the Beatles?? Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Cganges, Life On Mars, Ziggy Startust, The Jean Genie and so many more. Do They sound like the Beatles. You must be an idiot to think so.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:57

bv

Oh God, dont say that. The floodgates will be opening any time now...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2018 13:02

Hairball
Not counting on anything bv, but I don't think Charlie is clearly stating anything regarding "the last Stones show ever". He's simply saying he wants to still be standing after Warsaw, and what happens beyond that is anyone's guess.

Watts said he had no idea if the current “No Filter” tour would be the last. “For me, I would like to be standing on Sunday 8 July at the end of the show in Warsaw. That’s as far as I can see.”

Exactly. Its his typical way of downplaying hype. Standard thing for someone to say at his age, making a joke about their own mortality

Javadave

My thoughts too once I saw the tour schedule. When I saw Twickenham mooted as the last show of the tour I thought "wonderfully appropriate way to end a final tour". Poland? I dont think so (no offence to anyone but I think if they were planning to wrap things up it would be somewhere closer to home (London) or their hearts (ie, Fort Knox...)

Date: February 28, 2018 13:11

Gazza
Hairball
Not counting on anything bv, but I don't think Charlie is clearly stating anything regarding "the last Stones show ever". He's simply saying he wants to still be standing after Warsaw, and what happens beyond that is anyone's guess.

Watts said he had no idea if the current “No Filter” tour would be the last. “For me, I would like to be standing on Sunday 8 July at the end of the show in Warsaw. That’s as far as I can see.”

Exactly. Its his typical way of downplaying hype. Standard thing for someone to say at his age, making a joke about their own mortality

Javadave

My thoughts too once I saw the tour schedule. When I saw Twickenham mooted as the last show of the tour I thought "wonderfully appropriate way to end a final tour". Poland? I dont think so (no offence to anyone but I think if they were planning to wrap things up it would be somewhere closer to home (London) or their hearts (ie, Fort Knox...)

grinning smiley

Date: February 28, 2018 13:15

BOW2007
matxil
keithsman

Copying the Beatles?? Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Cganges, Life On Mars, Ziggy Startust, The Jean Genie and so many more. Do They sound like the Beatles. You must be an idiot to think so.

Don't get upset BOW2007. Like any other artist he got his inspiration from around him. Bowie was Bowie, unique in his own way. This Beatles comparison ... maybe inspiration. How about Bowie's "space obsession"? Didn't he get inspiration from "2000 lightyears from home". He also very much liked "Let's Spend the night Together", right? It was 1967, Flower Power and all that. I always liked Keith's quote: " The best songwriters are those with the largest record collection ". It's all about inspiration smileys with beer

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 28, 2018 13:16

Gazza
bv

Oh God, dont say that. The floodgates will be opening any time now...

Noooooooooooooooooooo grinning smiley And you've just poured petrol on the fire by highlighting it and me be quoting you..... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: RG ()
Date: February 28, 2018 13:38

They will keep going till someone falls down. Just like the old blues artists. After the Warsaw show the will play some places in the US, i am for sure.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2018 16:35

They are usually waiting for what Mick is deciding on. For Keith, Charlie and Ronnie I think it is easy - if Mick is ready then they are ready, as long as everyone is at good health. No Stopping means exactly what it says. More shows to come, but don't count on it, because the clock is ticking.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2018 16:48

stonehearted

He's a jazz drummer who wound up in a rock band, but stayed with it because it pays for the wardrobe, the horses, the country gentleman lifestyle, the collection of cars he never drives, etc.

"He's a jazz drummer who wound up in a rock band, but stayed with it because"...

he's loyal to death to Keef who he adores. As long as Keef will tell him "alrite Charlie, one more time!" he'll be there.
It's a beautiful story of friendship that has nothing to do with money.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: February 28, 2018 17:54

KingmanBarstow
Maybe while the adrenaline is still flowing after the tour a brief 3 or 4 night residency somewhere before the end of the year to do what everyone has been clamouring for - a non warhorse set as a send off for the year to the diehards. A Stripped Part Deux.

Re: retirement, it’s also about when “your friends start retiring around you and you are the last man standing!”

No. Just finish the tour and say nothing. We all know it can't go on forever. Just leave it finished in an unfinished kind of way. Enigmatic.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home