Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 33
Re: Prague Czech Republic travel and show info
Posted by: Harry ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:00

What is best place to buy rolling stones ticket in Prague? I will arrive in Prague
next saturday (first pearl jam concert next sunday). So I have few days, before the Stones concert, to enjoy the town and buy Stones ticket (if concert is not sold out that is).

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:23

You can buy tickets ate every Ticketpro/TIcketmaster point of sale. Tons of them across the city - see here:
[www.ticketmaster.cz]

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:25

There are also several tickets available in the forum:
[iorr.org]

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:27

Thank you for information. I will check that link.

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:36

This is super useful and detailed write-up. I would just add a few points:
1) airport transfer
- you can use Uber (Black, X, Basic), Taxify or Liftago (local app)
- Taxis from the airport are OKish to use as the price is fixed (~600CZK/25EUR to the city center), just expect a standard, a bit rough taxi driver

2) transportation
- don't flag/take taxis in the city center, you risk to get robbed. Use the apps, public transport or get a cab at designed location 'Fair point/taxi' - the cabs waiting here are licensed and if they rip you off and you report them they lose the license, hence they behave and always can be 'threatened'. I recommend to ask for the price before the ride just to be on the safe side.

3) money - please please don't use money exchange shops, they are huge scam. Cards & ATMs is your way to go.

4) music - there's a lot of clubs with live music, you can find out what;s going on online (e.g. [goout.net])

5) pubs - it's pretty easy nowadays. The competition is brutal so unless you walk into a tourist trap (same as everywhere, you can find them at every popular place) you are fine. If you don't like beer/food, you can always go a few meters further and try a different one.
Definitely try craft beers from local breweries. They are very good. Pilsner is OK but you can get it anywhere else :-)

Safe trip everyone & enjoy the gig!

laughinearlydied
just a repost from earlier... might help someone

laughinearlydied
so this is going to be the first time in prague for some people, so I thought I could share a few basic things so that you won't make some unnecessary expensive mistakes.

the airport
the airport is small but clean and safe. in the public area there are some fast-food chains, czech pub, and a few coffee shops.
there is a 24hour food court next to the arrivals at terminal 1, they have snacks and hot meals even at night/early mornings.

getting to the city
now that part is a pain. the first, fastest and also cheapest way is to take a bus 119 that will drop you off at the metro station "nadrazi veleslavin" on green line A that goes straight to the city centre. you need to purchase a ticket in a vending machine, they do accept cash and credit cards. do not forget to validate the ticket.
second way is Uber. in Czech Republic they offer Black, which is their original product. this is the same as everywhere else, black limousine. it is reliable and affordable. ride to the city centre, depending on time of day, should be around 600-800CZK, approx 23-32 euros. they also offer more affordable versions they call uber select - still a new nice car, and uberpop - normal car.
third way is a ride that your hotel will arrange for you.
fourth way, and be careful here, is a taxi. that I would not recommend.

there are 2 main things you should never do in prague.

1) never use city taxis. never. they cheat, steal and charge extreme amounts of money. use them only in severe emergency situations. it is not safe or recommended to use them. prague is small, take a walk, public transport is cheap and if you want to take a car, use uber or ask at your hotel and they will arrange a ride for you.

2) never, never exchange money in exchanges without very carefully checking the rates. you will get literally robbed. seriously. every exchange will have a sign that they won't take a commission, but the rates are brutal.
you can pay with you credit/debit card everywhere apart from those questionable shops with a lot of booze on display. but if you need some cash, there are options.
I suggest you check with your bank and use an ATM. try to avoid those generic ones, they can have high fees, but use a bank ATM instead. there is a lot of them.
or you can exchange your money here, I use this place regularly and they are probably the safest and best in prague. [www.exchange.cz]

and one thing you should do in every city - be careful with your phone and wallet. taking a metro during a rush hour with your wallet and phone in your back pocket is not a good idea anywhere, same goes for prague. especially on your way to and from the gig.

the city
prague is a very safe city even late at night and early in the morning. you might occasionally see a homeless person, but they won't bother you. in the city centre there are few professional beggars, I suggest you don't give them any money.
you can walk everywhere, the metro closes around midnight, but there are night tram lines across the city. Google usually does a good job planning a journey, also there is a map in every metro station.

drinking in public is not permitted in some places, and there are fines. the fact that your drink is in a bag or in a soda bottle won't save you. but it is not strictly enforced, so if you won't be absolutely hammered, you are fine.

I suggest paying for the public transport. there are no physical gates that would stop you entering the metro stations, but there are controls sometimes and you will get a fine. you won't see locals validating tickets because we have cards with chips in them.

50 CZK for a beer is a bit overpriced in a normal restaurant or a pub, do not pay more than that. czech beers are always on tap, 0.3, 0.5 and sometimes 1litre called "tuplak". there are regulations in place, so in every establishment you will get electronic receipt. tipping is not mandatory, but if you like the service, tip 10-20%.
you won't pay for every drink separately, they will track what you had in a terminal or they will place a tab on your table and write it there. you will still get a receipt when you pay.
you can't smoke anywhere indoors and in public transport stations.

czech people can seem kind of cool and distant, but are quite friendly and helpful. a lot of older people still remember Russian, a lot of people speak German and in prague basically everyone can communicate in English.

bellow I will list a few traditional places where I suggest you go for a beer. don't get discouraged by the staff there, they might be a bit rough. these are really old places, locals have their own seats and glasses there and they will stare you down. but they are not mean, so just ask for a beer and you will be served just fine.
In my opinion, Pilsner Urquell is the best we have. But that is, of course, subjective, so just try different things and find what you like. Also be careful, not everybody is used to stronger beers, do not underestimate it, especially on a hot day when you are tired.

if you are not into beer, there are some internationally recognised bars, some underground, some with amazing views.

If you want some culture, I suggest you check www.goout.net .very helpful site where you can find what is happening in the city. also available in English. They sell tickets online themselves or there will be a link to a site where you can purchase the tickets.

My recommendations for music (small clubs)
Ungelt Jazz club
Jazz dock
Reduta jazz club
Agharta
Blues sklep
U maleho glena

for beer
U hrocha (lesser quarter)
u dvou kocek
U pinkasu (there you can have a beer basically in a church)
U glaubicu
u zlateho tygra
and any "lokal", like "lokal u bile kuzelky"

for a cocktail
Hemingway bar
black angles bar
cash only bar
bar and books
or there is a sky bar in a Hilton.

if you can't be without your Irish pub, try James Joyce Irish pub.

be safe, have fun.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 27, 2018 00:52

ferda
This is super useful and detailed write-up. I would just add a few points:
1) airport transfer
- you can use Uber (Black, X, Basic), Taxify or Liftago (local app)
- Taxis from the airport are OKish to use as the price is fixed (~600CZK/25EUR to the city center), just expect a standard, a bit rough taxi driver

2) transportation
- don't flag/take taxis in the city center, you risk to get robbed. Use the apps, public transport or get a cab at designed location 'Fair point/taxi' - the cabs waiting here are licensed and if they rip you off and you report them they lose the license, hence they behave and always can be 'threatened'. I recommend to ask for the price before the ride just to be on the safe side.

3) money - please please don't use money exchange shops, they are huge scam. Cards & ATMs is your way to go.

4) music - there's a lot of clubs with live music, you can find out what;s going on online (e.g. [goout.net])

5) pubs - it's pretty easy nowadays. The competition is brutal so unless you walk into a tourist trap (same as everywhere, you can find them at every popular place) you are fine. If you don't like beer/food, you can always go a few meters further and try a different one.
Definitely try craft beers from local breweries. They are very good. Pilsner is OK but you can get it anywhere else :-)

Safe trip everyone & enjoy the gig!

laughinearlydied
just a repost from earlier... might help someone

laughinearlydied
so this is going to be the first time in prague for some people, so I thought I could share a few basic things so that you won't make some unnecessary expensive mistakes.

the airport
the airport is small but clean and safe. in the public area there are some fast-food chains, czech pub, and a few coffee shops.
there is a 24hour food court next to the arrivals at terminal 1, they have snacks and hot meals even at night/early mornings.

getting to the city
now that part is a pain. the first, fastest and also cheapest way is to take a bus 119 that will drop you off at the metro station "nadrazi veleslavin" on green line A that goes straight to the city centre. you need to purchase a ticket in a vending machine, they do accept cash and credit cards. do not forget to validate the ticket.
second way is Uber. in Czech Republic they offer Black, which is their original product. this is the same as everywhere else, black limousine. it is reliable and affordable. ride to the city centre, depending on time of day, should be around 600-800CZK, approx 23-32 euros. they also offer more affordable versions they call uber select - still a new nice car, and uberpop - normal car.
third way is a ride that your hotel will arrange for you.
fourth way, and be careful here, is a taxi. that I would not recommend.

there are 2 main things you should never do in prague.

1) never use city taxis. never. they cheat, steal and charge extreme amounts of money. use them only in severe emergency situations. it is not safe or recommended to use them. prague is small, take a walk, public transport is cheap and if you want to take a car, use uber or ask at your hotel and they will arrange a ride for you.

2) never, never exchange money in exchanges without very carefully checking the rates. you will get literally robbed. seriously. every exchange will have a sign that they won't take a commission, but the rates are brutal.
you can pay with you credit/debit card everywhere apart from those questionable shops with a lot of booze on display. but if you need some cash, there are options.
I suggest you check with your bank and use an ATM. try to avoid those generic ones, they can have high fees, but use a bank ATM instead. there is a lot of them.
or you can exchange your money here, I use this place regularly and they are probably the safest and best in prague. [www.exchange.cz]

and one thing you should do in every city - be careful with your phone and wallet. taking a metro during a rush hour with your wallet and phone in your back pocket is not a good idea anywhere, same goes for prague. especially on your way to and from the gig.

the city
prague is a very safe city even late at night and early in the morning. you might occasionally see a homeless person, but they won't bother you. in the city centre there are few professional beggars, I suggest you don't give them any money.
you can walk everywhere, the metro closes around midnight, but there are night tram lines across the city. Google usually does a good job planning a journey, also there is a map in every metro station.

drinking in public is not permitted in some places, and there are fines. the fact that your drink is in a bag or in a soda bottle won't save you. but it is not strictly enforced, so if you won't be absolutely hammered, you are fine.

I suggest paying for the public transport. there are no physical gates that would stop you entering the metro stations, but there are controls sometimes and you will get a fine. you won't see locals validating tickets because we have cards with chips in them.

50 CZK for a beer is a bit overpriced in a normal restaurant or a pub, do not pay more than that. czech beers are always on tap, 0.3, 0.5 and sometimes 1litre called "tuplak". there are regulations in place, so in every establishment you will get electronic receipt. tipping is not mandatory, but if you like the service, tip 10-20%.
you won't pay for every drink separately, they will track what you had in a terminal or they will place a tab on your table and write it there. you will still get a receipt when you pay.
you can't smoke anywhere indoors and in public transport stations.

czech people can seem kind of cool and distant, but are quite friendly and helpful. a lot of older people still remember Russian, a lot of people speak German and in prague basically everyone can communicate in English.

bellow I will list a few traditional places where I suggest you go for a beer. don't get discouraged by the staff there, they might be a bit rough. these are really old places, locals have their own seats and glasses there and they will stare you down. but they are not mean, so just ask for a beer and you will be served just fine.
In my opinion, Pilsner Urquell is the best we have. But that is, of course, subjective, so just try different things and find what you like. Also be careful, not everybody is used to stronger beers, do not underestimate it, especially on a hot day when you are tired.

if you are not into beer, there are some internationally recognised bars, some underground, some with amazing views.

If you want some culture, I suggest you check www.goout.net .very helpful site where you can find what is happening in the city. also available in English. They sell tickets online themselves or there will be a link to a site where you can purchase the tickets.

My recommendations for music (small clubs)
Ungelt Jazz club
Jazz dock
Reduta jazz club
Agharta
Blues sklep
U maleho glena

for beer
U hrocha (lesser quarter)
u dvou kocek
U pinkasu (there you can have a beer basically in a church)
U glaubicu
u zlateho tygra
and any "lokal", like "lokal u bile kuzelky"

for a cocktail
Hemingway bar
black angles bar
cash only bar
bar and books
or there is a sky bar in a Hilton.

if you can't be without your Irish pub, try James Joyce Irish pub.

be safe, have fun.

See you next week Ferda. Gonna land in prague on Monday.
Have a good one.
jeroen

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 27, 2018 01:23

I arrive in Prague on Saturday. Making a holiday of this and Warsaw thumbs up

Date: June 27, 2018 07:15

The info is great, but can people please stop quoting a REALLY long post in full. Scrolling this thread takes ages. It's easy to delete bits of the original posts when quoting a reply >grinning smiley<

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 27, 2018 12:33

Guess the truck's from Marseille are heading to Prague....A week out Temperature forecast 30.c...Look's to be a hot one...Got a seat? sun screen baby...

Date: June 27, 2018 13:11

mikey C
Guess the truck's from Marseille are heading to Prague....A week out Temperature forecast 30.c...Look's to be a hot one...Got a seat? sun screen baby...

No, to Stuttgart first, i think??
jeroen

Date: June 27, 2018 14:10

As far as i know they have 2 one goes up as one comes down and they leap frog them across europe

Posted by: Salan ()
Date: June 27, 2018 14:15

Informations about the transport in Prag (metro, maps, fares etc.):

[www.dpp.cz]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need the Stones to keep me happy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-27 14:45 by Salan.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 27, 2018 14:39

mikey C

Seat? Isn’t this all standing in a level field/ no seats/ 1 very large sprawling standing crowd?

Date: June 27, 2018 14:42

check the map rollingstones.cz

Date: June 27, 2018 14:44

35love
mikey C

Seat? Isn’t this all standing in a level field/ no seats/ 1 very large sprawling standing crowd?

There will be tribune style temporary stands at the sides of a similar type used in Hamburg.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 27, 2018 14:52

grzegorz67
35love
mikey C

There will be tribune style temporary stands at the sides of a similar type used in Hamburg.

Thanks, I did look it up
[www.rollingstones.cz]
(I couldn’t do this show I think)

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: June 28, 2018 09:51

Hi. I am from a Non-EU country and get my wristband on show day.
Then I would like to confirm procedures.
I should do

1. Create cashless account.
2. Pickup wristband on show day. (I will land on Prague around noon.)
3. Connect cashless account and wristband number. (It means I need internet connection environments)
4. Top up money in cashless account from my credit card.

Is this correct ??

Date: June 28, 2018 10:08

a bigger nut
Hi. I am from a Non-EU country and get my wristband on show day.
Then I would like to confirm procedures.
I should do

1. Create cashless account.
2. Pickup wristband on show day. (I will land on Prague around noon.)
3. Connect cashless account and wristband number. (It means I need internet connection environments)
4. Top up money in cashless account from my credit card.

Is this correct ??

Correct!!
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 10:42 by corriecas.

Posted by: pleva74 ()
Date: June 28, 2018 10:14

Hi everybody ! My friend just told me, he can´t go, and now I have 1 Lucky Dip ticket free. If anybody is interested in it, please write me an e-mail: pleva74@centrum.sk the price is 60 €, like it was in march.

I´m from Slovakia and I´d like to give the ticket to someone, who is serious fan of the greatest rock and roll band ever winking smiley

I´ll be at the venue in Letnany from 16:30

Enjoy the concert everybody !!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 28, 2018 12:35

The two Prague Support-acts GOTTHARD + PRAŽSKÝ VÝBER are finally officially announced: [www.RollingStones.cz] .

[www.RollingStones.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 13:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 28, 2018 13:40

Arriving Tuesday morning, staying at Residence Bene which seems to be at the edge of the Jewish Quarter in Prague's Old Town.

I have FOS Keith's side and will also be riding shotgun on Beast's Lucky Dip - hoping for better luck than in Twickenham, eh Beast? winking smiley

Any info yet on when the Lucky Dips can be picked up?

Looking forward to visiting Prague for the first time. Everyone keeps telling me it's such a nice city.

And hey, I will actually have two days off after Wednesday's show! Will hang in Prague and fly out to Warsaw early Saturday morning.

But gotta get Stuttgart out of the way first (and come back home to change shirts…)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 14:16 by Topi.

Date: June 28, 2018 13:50

Topi
Arriving Tuesday morning, staying at Residence Bene which seems to be at the edge of the Jewish Quarter in Prague's Old Town.

I have FOS Keith's side and will also be riding shotgun on Beast's Lucky Dip - hoping for better luck than in Twickenham, eh Beast? winking smiley

Any info yet on when the Lucky Dips can be picked up?

Looking forward to visiting Prague for the first time. Everyone keeps telling me it's such a nice city.

And hey, I will actually have two days off after Wednesday's show! Will hang in Prague and fly out to Warsaw early Saturday morning.

But hey, gotta get Stuttgart out of the way first (and come back home to change shirts…)

I'n on the 8am coach to Warsaw the morning after the show moody smiley

Date: June 28, 2018 13:59

I still have a hotel reservation available for the 3rd and 4th if anyone is looking for a place to stay.

syrel

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 28, 2018 14:17

grzegorz67

I'n on the 8am coach to Warsaw the morning after the show moody smiley

Now that, my friend, is rock'n'roll!

Date: June 28, 2018 14:42

Nice Bus ride did it once you get to see most of Poland..12 hour's more or less....You have to check out the pub the golden tiger...in the center of Prague...They open at 15:00 get there at 14:30...At 15:30 they are already full...nice place old school

Date: June 28, 2018 14:54

We are at Colosseum hotel. Is that metro station Narodni? Any good pub or restaurant there?
Jeroen

Date: June 28, 2018 15:00

U Medvidku a must Original Budweiser...Try the Pork knee..Hope your not a vegan..Mozart use to go there it's over 500 year's old

Date: June 28, 2018 15:05

Also Letna beer garden Prague 7 great view of the city...on a nice day very walkable from the center....If i arrange a meet up this is the place...From here you can walk down the hill and catch the metro right to Letnany....if there is a meet up it's at 12:00 show day....At 14:00 we head for the show...EARLY!!!!!

Date: June 28, 2018 15:09

I just looked you are in a great spot...Just slightly away from the center from where you are you can walk every...Prague best way to get around is by foot...

Date: June 28, 2018 15:11

Except to the Concert of course......hope you like beer we got plenty of it!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 33

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home