Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 21
Re: Edinburgh Scotland UK travel and show info
Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 01:29

buttons67
by the time you leave the stadium and walk into the centre, many bars will be either too busy, about to close or already closed, thats what happened in 1999 when they last played murrayfield. which was dissapointing. better to take a carry out back to hotel pre concert and have something to go back to.

I've never understood why more bars don't seek to capitalize on the concert crowds after the shows by staying open a couple hours later. This happens time and again and in city after city it seems. Maybe it's local laws or ordinance preventing places staying open that late but when it's not even midnight and you can't find an open bar or resto, well that's just wrong...

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: March 9, 2018 06:59

Edinburgh definitely isn't a 24 hour city and most pubs will be shutting by midnight / 1am unless you head up to the Cowgate to places like The Three Sisters. Even most of the takeaways close by 1am. Places like the Kebab Mahal or Palmyra might be open a bit later.....

Date: March 9, 2018 10:04

So where is the pre and where is the after party?

I remember being very drunk once in the espionage. Does that still exist?

Date: March 9, 2018 10:25

Yup. One of the few pubs that stays open till 3(ish), though on a Saturday night you probably need to pay in.

Date: March 9, 2018 10:29

CaledonianGonzo
Yup. One of the few pubs that stays open till 3(ish), though on a Saturday night you probably need to pay in.
that's okay, it will be cheaper than my stones tickets.

A lot of crazy women in that disco i remember.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 15:36

PaintMonkeyManBlack
CaledonianGonzo
that's okay, it will be cheaper than my stones tickets.

A lot of crazy women in that disco i remember.

Not as crazy as one you might meet in this place grinning smiley

[thetab.com]

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: March 10, 2018 00:46

laertisflash
Yes, I know. Arthur' Seat is a 251 m hill into Holyrood Park, on the southeast side of Edinburgh, right? As you see, I'm already "perusing" maps. The main reason why I decided to attend the Stones in Edinburgh, and not somewhere closer to my country (Greece), was my desire to see the city. I'm sure it's fantastic.

That makes two (Greeks ) of us,cheers to ‘The Athens of the North’ smileys with beer

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 00:56

the problem with scotland is that anywhere you go its very difficult to get a late drink unless you go to a night club.

Date: March 10, 2018 10:34

It's probably best to treat the show as the conclusion to your evening, rather than the beginning of it. Anything afterwards will be a bonus.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 12:07

CaledonianGonzo
It's probably best to treat the show as the conclusion to your evening, rather than the beginning of it. Anything afterwards will be a bonus.

Is this the to Scotland's drinking laws, which seems to be stricter than England?

Date: March 10, 2018 12:25

odean73

Is this the to Scotland's drinking laws, which seems to be stricter than England?

I dunno about that...more that, speaking as a resident, there's not that many places that I'd actively choose to hang out in past a certain point in the evening.

Date: March 10, 2018 12:44

CaledonianGonzo
odean73

I dunno about that...more that, speaking as a resident, there's not that many places that I'd actively choose to hang out in past a certain point in the evening.

Thanks, bit like Brum then?

Will have to stock the fridge up where we are staying and at least I can choose what I like to drink.drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 12:44 by odean73.

Date: March 10, 2018 12:49

Smaller, funkier clubs are probably the best option. Places like Summerhall or The Mash House. This'll probably be pretty good:

[www.thebongoclub.co.uk]

There's bound to be some sort of after party organised somewhere. Early days yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 12:49 by CaledonianGonzo.

Date: March 10, 2018 18:15

buttons67
the problem with scotland is that anywhere you go its very difficult to get a late drink unless you go to a night club.
A cheecky nightclub?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 10, 2018 20:39

Grzegorz67, decades before I had been informed that one of Edinburgh’s nickname is “Athens of the North”, I had a “connection” with your city. Even I didn’t knew it… At the age of 9 - 10 I became enthusiastic reader of stories about (a) medieval soldiers and (b) pirates. Thanks to my particular enthusiasm, I really loved reading. And who did bring me to this magical world? Two famous residents of Edinburgh. Walter Scott (“Ivanhoe”) and Robert Louis Stevenson (“Treasure Island”)…

Memories…

Anyway, I expect a really hot atmosphere during the concert. It will be perfect if “Athens of the North” can be “Buenos Aires of the North”, when the Stones are performing! (And… our Athens, in Greece, was hot, attending the Stones, 20 years ago. Since then, no Stones gig for us, unfortunately. I can’t believe that in 2018 they are still touring and my son will attend his second Stones show…).

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 10, 2018 20:47

Dimrstone, where are you from, exactly?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 10, 2018 21:23

I flipped a coin between Edinburgh and Marseille and chose...

Edinburgh.

In on my friend's Lucky Dip!

Never been to Scotland before, so looking forward.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 10, 2018 22:17

Don't Underestimate Edinburgh.It is a beautiful city. and if all your worried about is getting a drink after the show then at that time of the year I don't think that will be a problem if you know where to go . My brother owns a few bars not far from Murrayfield. So will update nearer the time. Not many City's have a Castle and an Extinct Volcano as a back drop in the Their City Centre, Spectacular - Manchester, Southampton , Coventry. Give me a break if you ever need to go to a second show outwith London in the UK -Edinburgh is the place to come to for atmosphere and Culture alone.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 06:13 by Tonstone.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 10, 2018 22:32

thumbs upsmileys with beer
Can't wait!

Date: March 11, 2018 12:17

Tonstone
Don't Underestimate Edinburgh.It is a beautiful city. and if all your worried about is getting a drink after the show then at that time of the year I don't think that will be a problem if you know where to go . My brother owns a few bars not far from Murrayfield. So will update nearer the time. Not many City's have a Castle and an Extinct Volcano as a back drop in the Their City Centre, Spectacular - Manchester, Southampton , Coventry. Give me a break if you ever need to go to a second show outwith London in the UK -Edinburgh is the place to come to for atmosphere and Culture alone.

Heard good things about Edinburgh and can t wait to visit Scotland for the first time.

Coventry is a concrete jungle.

Date: March 11, 2018 12:46

odean73
Tonstone

Heard good things about Edinburgh and can t wait to visit Scotland for the first time.

Coventry is a concrete jungle.

Coventry is a concrete jungle but it wasn’t always. Far from it. As a relative local you’ll be well aware that It was once a fine old Tudor City until one horrible night 77 years ago. Unfortunately, along with many other cities which endured similar, reconstruction was carried out in the quickest and cheapest way possible, hence the concrete jungle we see today.

For live shows by any performer, you very often find that best atmospheres happen on visits to off-the-beaten-track cities like Coventry where a visit from an act of huge stature is a rare treat. Places like London, Paris and Amsterdam get them all the time and can get a bit blasé about it all.

I will be coming into Edinburgh with my cousin on the day from my hometown of Hamilton, 40 miles West so no Accomodation needed. I think the pubs around Murrayfield will be rammed so we’ll probably head for the Caley Sample Rooms as it’s not far away, will not be on Tourist Fans’ radar and we’ll have a fighting chance of actually getting served. It serves Craft Ales, brewed at its own micro brewery, a short walk away. I know that whole area of Edinburgh very well. I haven’t actually been in the Caley for a few years but have walked past it many times and it seems to have evolved into a Gastro Pub, doing both food and drink. It was previously a big beer hall with a giant telly for live sport.

Date: March 11, 2018 14:13

On a Saturday afternoon the Caley seems to usually be chocka with couples and families grabbing lunch.

Date: March 11, 2018 14:28

CaledonianGonzo
On a Saturday afternoon the Caley seems to usually be chocka with couples and families grabbing lunch.

Really? Yikes - that rules that out then sad smiley . I always place value on local knowledge so thanks for that. As a Jambo, I know the area very well but not specific practicalities like that as I don’t live up there. I still think pubs on the South side of the railway are a better bet for being less crowded though as it’s the football close season and local interest in the World Cup will be minimal,( again! eye rolling smiley )

Coming through from Hamilton for the day, I’m minded to park on Slateford Road for a quick post concert getaway as my coach back South leaves at 8am the next day.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 11, 2018 17:42

I have a Heathrow Airport question, if anyone can help. Seemingly all flights from Frankfurt or Luxembourg have a stop in Heathrow or Amsterdam, unless I pay 700 euros more for a direct flight. Anyhow, I ended up with Heathrow where we must go from T3 to T5. That shouldn't be so hard but apparently we have to go through security checks. Does this mean also border control? Once we spent over 2 hours in that line. I'm worried about missing our connecting flight to Edinburgh.

Date: March 11, 2018 17:58

Are the flights all on the same ticket?

Don't Lufthansa fly direct to Edinburgh from Frankfurt. Or if that doesn't work you could fly into Glasgow.

Date: March 11, 2018 18:40

Don't have tickets yet, just an itinerary. It shows the connecting flight(s) in Heathrow. On the way to Edinburgh we have 3 hours lay over, on the way back it's 2 hours 45 minutes. I'm hoping it's enough time to clear security and possible border patrol between flights.

Date: March 11, 2018 18:54

All on the same booking code?

If you havent actually bought them yet I just checked on Ryanair and there are direct flights to Glasgow from Frankfurt on the morning of the show for 33 euros.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:13

grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo

Really? Yikes - that rules that out then sad smiley . I always place value on local knowledge so thanks for that. As a Jambo, I know the area very well but not specific practicalities like that as I don’t live up there. I still think pubs on the South side of the railway are a better bet for being less crowded though as it’s the football close season and local interest in the World Cup will be minimal,( again! eye rolling smiley )

Coming through from Hamilton for the day, I’m minded to park on Slateford Road for a quick post concert getaway as my coach back South leaves at 8am the next day.

Friday night in Edinburgh March 9th - Local football Derby Between Hibs and Hearts [Edinburgh Footballs two teams] Hibs won as normal, Can drink as we did until 4.oo am as I said if you know where to go.. Don't worry If you want a drink it won't be a problem.

Date: March 11, 2018 21:25

Go on then - I'm genuinely curious about which pubs are open till 4am outside of August.

Date: March 11, 2018 21:25

CaledonianGonzo -We're flying on British Airways. Non-refundable of course. Just hope the connection isn't a problem. Cheers.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home