Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 21
Re: Edinburgh Scotland UK travel and show info
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 7, 2018 12:55

odean73
Beast
Advance purchase train fares to Edinburgh are now available.

I found that Trainline has more options and at slightly cheaper prices too than the Virgin Trains website.

I thought it would be sunday for advanced fares, but i did take a look last night and found fares were coming up for june.

Anybody tried the split ticket scenario for train tickets?

I believe advance fares are sold as singles only.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 7, 2018 13:07

Beast
You can set an alert on Trainline to get an email of when advance fares become available for the dates you want. So I got one this morning for trains on 8 June. I suppose advance fares for 9 June might show up tomorrow?

I also looking for the 8th June.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 7, 2018 13:20

MisterDDDD
Saw a posting somewhere about a band that plays reg club gigs in London and UK-
The Dirty Strangers (apparently w ties to Ronnie/Keith) that will also be playing an Edinburgh gig the night before.

the Dirty Strangers
Fri 8 PM UTC+01 ·
Bannermans Bar
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
[www.facebook.com]

Checked out videos and snagged a ticket.. looks like a good time!

Thanks for the heads up! I've seen them twice and it's a good night for sure.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:21

best book using thetrainline or redspottedhanky or even virgin, 12 weeks in advance or less gets best prices but dont leave it too late,

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:25

Maybe a funny question, but anyone know what beers they sell at the stadium? I'm a beer traveller of sorts and always curious about places I've never been too. Cheers!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:33

frankotero
Maybe a funny question, but anyone know what beers they sell at the stadium? I'm a beer traveller of sorts and always curious about places I've never been too. Cheers!

There's a big lawn within the grounds of the stadium, behind the East Stand, with burger and hot dog stands, eateries and bars. Very civilised. I was last there last October when my football team were temporarily based there and I'm sure they'll serve drink at the concert. As it's the home of Scottish Rugby, it's likley to be Scottish brands of beer on offer such as Bellhaven, Deuchars, McEwans etc

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:55

Tennent's sponsor Scottish Rugby so it's their beer at the stadium. There's also a Guinness bar there at the minute for the Six Nations, but no idea whether it'll still be there in the summer.

Date: March 8, 2018 17:04

CaledonianGonzo
Tennent's sponsor Scottish Rugby so it's their beer at the stadium. There's also a Guinness bar there at the minute for the Six Nations, but no idea whether it'll still be there in the summer.

Thanks for that CG. When I was at the Hearts v Rangers game there last October, I didn't notice if they were allowed to sell booze inside the stadium - I very much doubt it for an occasion like that grinning smiley

Date: March 8, 2018 17:13

Good info guys. I like McEwans, hope it's there at the concert. If not the other 2 will be fine as well. In the late 80s I used to drink Youngers Tartan Special on draft in Madrid. Now I live in Germany and I found this beer in a UK Shop in Koln. It's been all these years, feels like meeting an old friend. I look forward to searching for this in Edinburgh, hope it's there. Look forward to seeing this city.

Posted by: CallM ()
Date: March 8, 2018 17:30

I took a risky option and fly in from Ireland in the afternoon of the gig so will miss the Dirty strangers on the Friday night.

Does look good though. Would’ve liked to have gone for a warm up. Edinburgh is one of the places I’ve always looked forward to visiting so looking forward to the entire weekend

Date: March 8, 2018 17:43

frankotero
Good info guys. I like McEwans, hope it's there at the concert. If not the other 2 will be fine as well. In the late 80s I used to drink Youngers Tartan Special on draft in Madrid. Now I live in Germany and I found this beer in a UK Shop in Koln. It's been all these years, feels like meeting an old friend. I look forward to searching for this in Edinburgh, hope it's there. Look forward to seeing this city.

As brands McEwans and Youngers are pretty much dead in the water since the brewery at Fountainbridge closed down. I dunno when I even last came across them. As with most places Scotland has dozens of young-ish companies producing more hoppy lagers craft beers, so in the bars and pubs you're more likely to come across beers from companies like Williams Bros, Innes & Gunn, Brewdog, Pilot, Fyne Ales, Harviestoun, West Lager, Edinburgh Beer Factory, Barney's Beer etc.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:46

Cask Ales, it's what I want when I go to the UK - hard to find much of it here in the U.S. It's all about hops here now, and seemingly who can make the hoppiest most bitter beer. Don't get it. Looking forward to some nice hand drawn cask ale, hopefully it's not hard to come by over there now too.

Date: March 8, 2018 20:44

I love cask ale too! Pretty sure it's readily available in Edinburgh from what I googled. I want to try some of their local craft beers also. By the way hoppy IPA is a thing in central Europe too.

Date: March 8, 2018 20:50

Try: The Bow Bar / Blue Blazer / Guildford Arms / Hanging Bat / Holyrood 9A / Red Squirrel / Abbotsford / Cloisters / Ushers

Date: March 8, 2018 21:21

CaledonianGonzo
frankotero

As brands McEwans and Youngers are pretty much dead in the water since the brewery at Fountainbridge closed down. I dunno when I even last came across them. As with most places Scotland has dozens of young-ish companies producing more hoppy lagers craft beers, so in the bars and pubs you're more likely to come across beers from companies like Williams Bros, Innes & Gunn, Brewdog, Pilot, Fyne Ales, Harviestoun, West Lager, Edinburgh Beer Factory, Barney's Beer etc.

I miss the Fountainbridge Brewery. The second the train door opened at Haymarket or Waverley the glorious smell of the hops filled the air. At Hearts games when play became boring or frustrating (not that we ever have a long wait for that), I used to just roll back in my seat and enjoy the smell from the brewery grinning smiley

Another local brewery well worth a mention is Caledonian Breweries, situated not far from Murrayfield. They even have their own pub close by, where you can sample their products. Well worth a visit if you like your beer:

[thecaleysampleroom.co.uk]

In fact it might not be a bad shout for a pre gig meetup.

Date: March 8, 2018 21:35

Indeed, the sample room looks like a great place for Stones Fans to meet and drink good beers. Hope to see some of you there.

Date: March 8, 2018 22:32

frankotero
Indeed, the sample room looks like a great place for Stones Fans to meet and drink good beers. Hope to see some of you there.

A very decent wine list as well, I'm in.

Is it far from the stadium?

Date: March 8, 2018 23:10

odean73
frankotero

About a 10-15 minute walk.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 8, 2018 23:15

A question for local fans:

Could you inform me about the distance (approx), between the stadium and

(a) New Town
(b) Old Town
(c) Stockbridge
(d) West End - Dean Village ?

Thanks a lot.

Date: March 8, 2018 23:23

laertisflash
A question for local fans:

Could you inform me about the distance (approx), between the stadium and

(a) New Town
(b) Old Town
(c) Stockbridge
(d) West End - Dean Village ?

Thanks a lot.

All a mile or less and easily walkable. Edinburgh City Cemtre is very compact as is Cardiff. There’s a tram stop outside the stadium if you don’t want to walk.

Date: March 8, 2018 23:24

grzegorz67
odean73
frankotero

About a 10-15 minute walk.

Thanks, be nice to meet up for a drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-08 23:57 by odean73.

Date: March 8, 2018 23:36

Thanks, grzegorz67! Of course I want to walk, that's why I'm asking...

Date: March 8, 2018 23:42

laertisflash
Thanks, grzegorz67! Of course I want to walk, that's why I'm asking...

You’re welcome. I was thinking more in terms that the band are old and so too are a good chunk of their fans, some of whom might not be as Mobile as they once were. Obviously not an issue for you though and if you like walking, Edinburgh is a fantastic city for walking. I’m fairly sure The Who recently said their fans used to turn up at their gigs in the 60s in their Vespa scooters, but now lots of them turn up in their mobility scooters....

Date: March 9, 2018 00:11

No worries, grzegorz67! I'm 57 but I really like walking. And sometimes I'm running too. I hope to loose weight, walking in such a handsome city, during 3,5 days. Maybe 1,5 Kg thanks to walking and another 0,5 thanks to dancing in the stadium...

Date: March 9, 2018 00:21

laertisflash
No worries, grzegorz67! I'm 57 but I really like walking. And sometimes I'm running too. I hope to loose weight, walking in such a handsome city, during 3,5 days. Maybe 1,5 Kg thanks to walking and another 0,5 thanks to dancing in the stadium...

As a Scot, I’m a bit biased but I think that Edinburgh is a stunning city, right up there with Prague, Stockholm, Copenhagen and all of Europe’s other gems. Walking is the best way to see it. There’s a huge hill in the middle of it called Arthur’s Seat. Walk up it on a clear day. Not only will you burn lots of calories but you’ll get a great view from the top.

Date: March 9, 2018 00:40

Yes, I know. Arthur' Seat is a 251 m hill into Holyrood Park, on the southeast side of Edinburgh, right? As you see, I'm already "perusing" maps. The main reason why I decided to attend the Stones in Edinburgh, and not somewhere closer to my country (Greece), was my desire to see the city. I'm sure it's fantastic.

Date: March 9, 2018 01:04

Besides the great beer info it's nice to hear everything is in walking distance. That's part of the reason why I chose Edinburgh over Dublin. Very tough choice as I want to visit them both. My hotel is near Waverly Train Station. So I'm going to take in as much as possible.

Date: March 9, 2018 01:11

laertisflash
Yes, I know. Arthur' Seat is a 251 m hill into Holyrood Park, on the southeast side of Edinburgh, right? As you see, I'm already "perusing" maps. The main reason why I decided to attend the Stones in Edinburgh, and not somewhere closer to my country (Greece), was my desire to see the city. I'm sure it's fantastic.

One of Edinburgh’s nicknames is ‘The Athens of the North’ thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 01:14

by the time you leave the stadium and walk into the centre, many bars will be either too busy, about to close or already closed, thats what happened in 1999 when they last played murrayfield. which was dissapointing. better to take a carry out back to hotel pre concert and have something to go back to.

Date: March 9, 2018 01:21

buttons67
by the time you leave the stadium and walk into the centre, many bars will be either too busy, about to close or already closed, thats what happened in 1999 when they last played murrayfield. which was dissapointing. better to take a carry out back to hotel pre concert and have something to go back to.

Go go Gorgie, Dalry or Merchiston. It’s off the tourists beaten track, yet close to Murrayfield. South side of the railway, in the environs of Tynecastle.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home