Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 21
Re: Edinburgh Scotland UK travel and show info
Date: May 23, 2018 10:43

Will the crowd be as boring as Dublin in Edinburgh?

Also is it allowed to smoke ?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 23, 2018 11:29

PaintMonkeyManBlack

Also is it allowed to smoke ?

The crowds are boring because it’s full of old, rich white men.

As much as I love the Stones, I feel like an outsider at their gigs. Men over 40, sea of beer bellies, a little self conscious = extremely boring crowd.

I feel much more at home at an LCD Soundsystem, Queens of the Stone Age, Gorillaz, Parquet Courts gig where the energy of the crowd is just as important as the performance.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 23, 2018 11:47

Bastion, I understand your comments but keep in mind you might end up an old guy with a beer belly too. As far as boring goes I've been that way since my first concert at 14 years old. I'm the type that likes to watch and listen rather than jumping up and down, talking and screaming. As they say different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the update though I'll feel comfortable and welcome in Edinburgh. Cheers!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 12:24

Hey, i have lost 2 stone for this tour!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue outdrinking smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 23, 2018 19:36

Notification from Royal Mail. My tickets arriving today.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 22:58

Still waiting on eTix...

Posted by: hobshobs1 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:00

Edinburgh tickets arrived today.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 24, 2018 17:18

PaintMonkeyManBlack

Given that the gig is on a Saturday rather than a weekday will mean that it'll certainly be drunker.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 17:25

CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Given that the gig is on a Saturday rather than a weekday will mean that it'll certainly be drunker.

I was there in 1999. The most badly behaved concert crowd I've ever been in. No Golden Circle or Pit, just whole floor GA and very poor security. That show was on a Friday. I won't be too disappointed if my Lucky Dips turn out to be seats there.

Date: May 24, 2018 17:36

grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

I was there in 1999. The most badly behaved concert crowd I've ever been in. No Golden Circle or Pit, just whole floor GA and very poor security. That show was on a Friday. I won't be too disappointed if my Lucky Dips turn out to be seats there.

We were good as gold compared to Altamont, mind.

Date: May 24, 2018 18:21

CaledonianGonzo
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

That's very true grinning smiley I wasn't at Altamont, being only 2 and living in Blantyre at the time winking smiley.

In '99 there were cans and glass bottles rolling around on the floor as the crowd at the front jumped up and down. A whole crowd of spaced out scaffy neds pushed their way right up to the front at the last minute too. I wasn't at ABB at Hampden in 2006, but I've read a few accounts of that gig on here and I'm glad I didn't go.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:13

AXS site is down now

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:50

grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

That's very true grinning smiley I wasn't at Altamont, being only 2 and living in Blantyre at the time winking smiley.

In '99 there were cans and glass bottles rolling around on the floor as the crowd at the front jumped up and down. A whole crowd of spaced out scaffy neds pushed their way right up to the front at the last minute too.

Welcome to almost any gig ever. It’s rarer that this doesn’t happen.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:59

"The crowds are boring because it’s full of old, rich white men. As much as I love the Stones, I feel like an outsider at their gigs. Men over 40, sea of beer bellies, a little self conscious = extremely boring crowd".

The picture you describe, Bastion, is completely different compered to what I lived in Rome, Madrid and Barcelona in the last years (2014, 2014, 2017). And far, far away from the audiences in South America (2016), of course.

I think it has mainly to do with how people are enjoying rock gigs, at various regions/countries. In Southern Europe crowds are more enthusiastic,of course. And, as I see, more youthful, compered to the Northern audiences.

On some clips from Dublin, focused on seated sections witch were extended far away from the stage, I saw many people singing, smiling, just moving their heads at the pace of the songs. OK, it's not the "hot", "southern" way to enjoy a concert, but as long as they are happy, it's fine to me.

At Barcelona, in the seated section where I was, EVERY ONE was standing up and dancing, from gig's start until first Keith's song and, again,from "Miss You" to "Satisfaction". Even men over 50 and 55, my friend...

Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: May 25, 2018 12:54

My ticket for Edinburgh arrived in the post this morning. I am in Dublin.

Date: May 25, 2018 12:58

grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

No you tell us! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 25, 2018 14:32

There was also loud rock music.

Paper tickets have now arrived, but no eTickets yet.

Date: May 25, 2018 15:39

So it wont be a boring crowd

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 25, 2018 16:35

I'm bored without my e-ticket. Plus I'm 55 with a beer belly. Maybe they're trying to stop me from getting inwinking smiley

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: May 25, 2018 23:44

CaledonianGonzo
There was also loud rock music.

Paper tickets have now arrived, but no eTickets yet.

How come Paper tickets have arrived, but no eTickets yet !! confused smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 26, 2018 12:11

Tickets arrived yesterday for Edinburgh - Entry to the Stadium is 4.00 pm - Support act is Richard Ashcroft. How Bittersweet is that. I have read posts about lack of atmosphere at some shows. Well being from Edinburgh myself and this being on a Saturday I think the joint will rock.Murrayfield not being far from the city centre and is literally 1ess than 10 mins by Tram [Stops at Murrayfield] bus or Taxi.So if you decide to stay central there are plenty of pubs - Rose Street - George Street [The Dome is a nice choice] or The Grassmarket are all very well populated drinking locations.

Date: May 26, 2018 12:43

Tonstone
Tickets arrived yesterday for Edinburgh - Entry to the Stadium is 4.00 pm - Support act is Richard Ashcroft. How Bittersweet is that. I have read posts about lack of atmosphere at some shows. Well being from Edinburgh myself and this being on a Saturday I think the joint will rock.Murrayfield not being far from the city centre and is literally 1ess than 10 mins by Tram [Stops at Murrayfield] bus or Taxi.So if you decide to stay central there are plenty of pubs - Rose Street - George Street [The Dome is a nice choice] or The Grassmarket are all very well populated drinking locations.

My nephew tickets arrived yesterday, hoping to get mine today.

We arrive on the Friday around 21.00, will be dumping our luggage and hopefully find a nice drinking hole.

Date: May 26, 2018 14:45

How long would it take to walk from the city centre.

Date: May 26, 2018 16:38

Bastion
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

In '99 there were cans and glass bottles rolling around on the floor as the crowd at the front jumped up and down. A whole crowd of spaced out scaffy neds pushed their way right up to the front at the last minute too.

Welcome to almost any gig ever. It’s rarer that this doesn’t happen.

There’s a special extra edge to gigs in Scotland though. Trust me, I should know- I’m a Scot! On the upside, crowds are probably the most enthusiastic and lively in Northern Europe. I still thoroughly enjoyed that show back in 1999 by the way and will still be in attendance this time around. And if I do get allocated a Standing ticket, I’ll still queue early for a top viewing spot, with all attendant inconveniences and drunken loutish behaviour risks grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2018 17:48

odean73
How long would it take to walk from the city centre.

It's just over 2 miles from the middle of Princes Street [Centre of City] so about 35 minutes to walk, and it is an easy straight flat walk.

Date: May 26, 2018 17:50

odean73
Tonstone

We arrive on the Friday around 21.00, will be dumping our luggage and hopefully find a nice drinking hole.
Where are you staying ?

Date: May 26, 2018 17:56

PaintMonkeyManBlack
So it wont be a boring crowd

It most certainly will not be grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2018 18:02

odean73
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
PaintMonkeyManBlack

No you tell us! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

grinning smiley In fairness, it was nearly 20 years ago and I’m sure security will be much better this time, especially with recent events. Thst day they checked nothing and cans, glass bottles and everything got in. I still put it in one of my top 5 shows ever despite the aggro from the louts back then. Definitely not a boring crowd!

Date: May 26, 2018 18:22

Tonstone
odean73
Tonstone

Where are you staying ?

Ratcliffe terrace.

If the ground is only 2 miles away,that will be no problem from the city centre.
Hoping to see some of the attractions in the morning, then a few drinks in the centre in the afternoon.

Date: May 26, 2018 19:57

odean73
Tonstone
odean73
Tonstone

Where are you staying ?

Ratcliffe terrace.

If the ground is only 2 miles away,that will be no problem from the city centre.
Hoping to see some of the attractions in the morning, then a few drinks in the centre in the afternoon.

Ratcliffe Terrace , know it well. Ok you are only about a 10 15 minute walk to the Royal Mile and most attractions . In your case in the old town the Grassmarket area is always lively at anytime of the day for a drink and is just behind the castle.A nice 2 min walk up one of my favourite streets Victoria Street to the Royal Mile. Found this video there are loads but may give you an idea of what you want see an do

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home