Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 21
Re: Edinburgh Scotland UK travel and show info
Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 20, 2018 14:43

MisterDDDD
syrel
Good sport MrDDDD - but for those who don't know the UK rail system, that's only one company. Tickets on other routes (eg from London or Bristol) are yet to drop to their lowest prices.
Gotcha, syrel.
Still waiting for Transpennine to drop their prices for Edinburgh back to London, which is the lowest I've been able to find @£30 (based on earlier Sundays).

Transpennine won't (I'm pretty sure) take you all the way back to London. Their route is Glasgow/Edinburgh to Manchester only. Virgin East Coast will go direct Edi-Lon, looks like prices will drop in next week or so. It's nearly as difficult as getting Stones tickets.

Date: March 20, 2018 14:52

odean73

Not really familiar with train buying, is it normal that they will drop?

Cant get a decent price from Birmingham at the moment.

Even thinking of flying up there and catching the train back.

BHam to Edi is a cross country trains route, but can be done on Virgin West Coast too.

Cross Country have released some Advance tickets, but I am convinced there will be lower ones released in the next few weeks - though their system is more opaque.

For Virgin, go to Virgin trains main page, select 'best fare finder', put in some dates and when the table of prices comes up, click on 'by month' (or something, don't have it to hand) at the bottom right. That will show best price per day for the whole month. You can see that cheaper tickets for weekends come on sale later than they do for weekdays! I think Birmingham to Edinburgh on 9/6 should drop next week to about £25-30.

If Bham to Edi is not a best fare finder route, choose Euston to Edinburgh and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The other thing to keep an eye on is Wolverhampton to Edinburgh (or even Wolv to Carlisle, and then Carlisle to Edinburgh). You can often get Wol-Car for £14, and then Car-Edi for £10 (without having to change trains!). Bham to Wolv is a fiver.

The fact that it's a weekend makes predicting fare prices a bit harder. Virgin are complete B@stards on Fri and Sat on that route.

If you want to play all of the games, check here: [www.moneysavingexpert.com]

syrel

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 20, 2018 15:13

MisterDDDD
syrel
Good sport MrDDDD - but for those who don't know the UK rail system, that's only one company. Tickets on other routes (eg from London or Bristol) are yet to drop to their lowest prices.
Gotcha, syrel.
Still waiting for Transpennine to drop their prices for Edinburgh back to London, which is the lowest I've been able to find @£30 (based on earlier Sundays).

I am getting around £245 return for 2 people from Birmingham to Edinburgh at the moment.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 20, 2018 15:17

syrel
MisterDDDD
syrel
Gotcha, syrel.

Transpennine won't (I'm pretty sure) take you all the way back to London. Their route is Glasgow/Edinburgh to Manchester only. Virgin East Coast will go direct Edi-Lon, looks like prices will drop in next week or so. It's nearly as difficult as getting Stones tickets.

Transpennine are selling tix from Edinburgh to Kings Cross station with no changes(4 1/2 hrs). The train system is confusing, but I believe perhaps they expanded.. (??) Tickets to the shows were much easier to navigate for sure cool smiley
[tickets.tpexpress.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-20 15:28 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 20, 2018 15:24

odean73
MisterDDDD
syrel
Gotcha, syrel.

I am getting around £245 return for 2 people from Birmingham to Edinburgh at the moment.

Try Brum to Glasgow. After that, Glasgow- Edinburgh is fast, frequent and cheap with services from Glasgow Central & GLasgow Queen Street. Coach from Anderston Bus Station good too. (can book in advance via Megabus for buttons!)

Date: March 20, 2018 15:33

grzegorz67
odean73
MisterDDDD
syrel
Gotcha, syrel.

Try Brum to Glasgow. After that, Glasgow- Edinburgh is fast, frequent and cheap with services from Glasgow Central & GLasgow Queen Street. Coach from Anderston Bus Station good too. (can book in advance via Megabus for buttons!)

Thanks.Will give it a try.

Date: March 20, 2018 15:56

odean73
grzegorz67
odean73
MisterDDDD
syrel
Gotcha, syrel.

Don't rule out National Express Coaches either. Excellent company imho and their coaches are always clean and pleasant to travel on with leather seats, aircon and wifi. Glasgow to Brum is a very competitive route with Megabus involved too so usually cheap. I'm coming back South with them on Sunday morning, though I note they've just put their prices up! The service I'm on originates from Edinburgh. It calls at my hometown of Hamilton so I use it a lot, even in preference to the train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-20 15:57 by grzegorz67.

Date: March 20, 2018 16:03

grzegorz67
Don't rule out National Express Coaches either. Excellent company imho and their coaches are always clean and pleasant to travel on with leather seats, aircon and wifi. Glasgow to Brum is a very competitive route with Megabus involved too so usually cheap. I'm coming back South with them on Sunday morning, though I note they've just put their prices up! The service I'm on originates from Edinburgh. It calls at my hometown of Hamilton so I use it a lot, even in preference to the train.

Booked National Coaches to Liverpool from Manchester and for the Cardiff gig to/from London.. Not to completely turn this thread into a travelogue, but I noticed in their baggage requirements they specify no hard shelled bags, I am going to purchase a new soft sided bag as a result. For security reasons, does anyone know if this is common practice in the UK? I was glad I caught it.

Date: March 20, 2018 19:45

grzegorz67
odean73
grzegorz67
odean73
MisterDDDD
syrel
Gotcha, syrel.

It's over a 9 hour journey by coach, just a bit too long for me.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 20, 2018 21:38

train prices usually drop 12 weeks from departure. try an online site called redspotted hanky from anything from 12 weeks prior to departure and the coming weeks after, usually great reductions apply, especially if you book a particular train with no cancelation facility applying.

i have used this site to go from glasgow to inverness or glasgow to blackpool and on some occasions paid less than a tenth of the first class and flexible price.

Date: March 20, 2018 21:53

buttons67
train prices usually drop 12 weeks from departure. try an online site called redspotted hanky from anything from 12 weeks prior to departure and the coming weeks after, usually great reductions apply, especially if you book a particular train with no cancelation facility applying.

i have used this site to go from glasgow to inverness or glasgow to blackpool and on some occasions paid less than a tenth of the first class and flexible price.

Thanks.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 20, 2018 23:37

Wanted to go to St Andrews to see the Old Course and possibly play golf the following afternoon - anyone familiar with the best way to travel there and book a twilight tee time for golf?

Thanks!

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: March 21, 2018 19:06

No idea about the golf, but while in the Kingdom of Fife don't forget to head to Pittenweem on a pilgrimage to Stu's birthplace.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 21, 2018 19:53

CaledonianGonzo
No idea about the golf, but while in the Kingdom of Fife don't forget to head to Pittenweem on a pilgrimage to Stu's birthplace.

Is there a plaque for the famous Pittenweemer?

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: March 21, 2018 19:54

They've built a giant stone chin jutting out into the North Sea

Date: March 21, 2018 19:56

CaledonianGonzo

As an aside, the great Pittenweemer had plenty of idea about golf and booked the Stones' hotels in their early career accordingly grinning smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 21, 2018 22:11

CaledonianGonzo

In Pittenweem next week - whilst I don't want to impose do you have an address for Stu's house ?. I only plan to drive by. You can PM me at -
tonstone@ymail.com

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 21, 2018 23:32

Tonstone
CaledonianGonzo

In Pittenweem next week - whilst I don't want to impose do you have an address for Stu's house ?. I only plan to drive by. You can PM me at -
[email protected]

As far as I can tell he was born at his grandfather's farm, Kirklatch, which may or not be around - or called by that name. Google Maps shows a Kirklatch Ct and a Kirklatch Cottage, which may or may not be part of the old property. Did Stu even spend any time in Pittenweem - apart from visiting grandparents? He went to school in Surrey.

Date: March 23, 2018 16:50

For those returning to London the day after this show, was finally able to purchase an early bird fare via Virgin East Coast. £40 for a 9:30 AM departure, direct. [www.virgintrainseastcoast.com]

All travel and show tix now booked for these (4) shows for me (!!)
Whoo whoo...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 23, 2018 17:07

MisterDDDD
For those returning to London the day after this show, was finally able to purchase an early bird fare via Virgin East Coast. £40 for a 9:30 AM departure, direct. [www.virgintrainseastcoast.com]

Whoo whoo...

Enjoy it !!!
Jeroen

Date: March 23, 2018 17:17

corriecas
MisterDDDD

Whoo whoo...

Enjoy it !!!
Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen, hope to meet up perhaps in Edinburgh for a pre-show bev etc.
As Mick would say.. See you there!!

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 23, 2018 17:34

MisterDDDD

Whoo whoo...

Ha, same rate and same time but I'm heading down on the 11th. I was able to book a couple weeks ago via Virgin East Coast.

Date: March 23, 2018 18:00

JN99
Ha, same rate and same time but I'm heading down on the 11th. I was able to book a couple weeks ago via Virgin East Coast.
Saw that the Monday after was already reduced, was starting to kick myself for not booking an extra day in Edinburgh, which I still may once I visit cool smiley Can't wait!

Date: March 24, 2018 06:54

I am now starting to pay as much attention to freaking train tickets as stones tickets. This may be of interest to people looking to buy train tickets for the Edinburgh show:

"Network Rail are temporarily changing how far in advance train timetables can be confirmed. Train times and tickets are usually available for customers to plan and book their journeys up to 12 weeks before departure. However, possibly for the duration of the next timetable beginning on 20th May, some may not be available until closer to the date of departure.

The majority of weekday services will be unaffected, although journeys at weekends are likely to see changes to the expected timetable.... We expect final timetables to be confirmed six weeks before the departure date."

source: [www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk]
syrel

Date: March 24, 2018 11:38

syrel
I am now starting to pay as much attention to freaking train tickets as stones tickets. This may be of interest to people looking to buy train tickets for the Edinburgh show:

"Network Rail are temporarily changing how far in advance train timetables can be confirmed. Train times and tickets are usually available for customers to plan and book their journeys up to 12 weeks before departure. However, possibly for the duration of the next timetable beginning on 20th May, some may not be available until closer to the date of departure.

The majority of weekday services will be unaffected, although journeys at weekends are likely to see changes to the expected timetable.... We expect final timetables to be confirmed six weeks before the departure date."

source: [www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk]
syrel

This is how I feel regarding trains, Now looking every day to see if fares have dropped.

Date: March 24, 2018 11:43

My guess from that message is that it will be another 2 weeks.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 26, 2018 14:58

Anyone know how organization is at the stadium? I'm wondering if pit ticket people will have to work their way from the back. That was a lot of work in Hamburg. The older I get the less I want to deal with this kind of hassle.

Date: March 26, 2018 15:27

frankotero
Anyone know how organization is at the stadium? I'm wondering if pit ticket people will have to work their way from the back. That was a lot of work in Hamburg. The older I get the less I want to deal with this kind of hassle.

Same in Amsterdam for the golden circle, it was a nightmare.

Date: March 26, 2018 16:11

Hamburg was a hell of a hike through GA and I was in the Silver Pit. I was GC in Paris 3 and by then it was much better organised. In Barcelona GC, both GA & GC entered at the same place and had to run/walk the full length of the field.

It all depends on the venue and local management policy, which varies - a lot!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 26, 2018 16:23

Dusseldorf and Arnhem were both great. They had several entry points so people can go directly to their area. Seems any Stadium can do the same.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home