Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 21
Re: Edinburgh Scotland UK travel and show info
Posted by: Parisrambler ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:31

Bitish Airways webside:
Wir empfehlen, dass Sie sich genügend Zeit nehmen, um Ihren Anschlussflug zu erreichen:

1 Stunde und 30 Minuten für Anschlussflüge, für die Sie sich zu einem anderen Terminal innerhalb von Heathrow begeben müssen.

We´re flying from LUX with 1:45h stop in Heathrow. So I think it will be possilbe, because BA sell these timing-tickets :-)

Chris

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:38

Thanks Parisrambler. I've seen that message on Heathrow's Site. Was curious it's true considering the security check. Is there also a border check? I think it's more time consuming. Anyhow if your flight connection is half the time of mine I suppose it's very much possible without problems. Thanks for the info and good luck to you. Maybe we'll bump into each other in Edinburgh. Have fun!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 23:03

Tonstone
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
On a Saturday afternoon the Caley seems to usually be chocka with couples and families grabbing lunch.

Really? Yikes - that rules that out then sad smiley . I always place value on local knowledge so thanks for that. As a Jambo, I know the area very well but not specific practicalities like that as I don’t live up there. I still think pubs on the South side of the railway are a better bet for being less crowded though as it’s the football close season and local interest in the World Cup will be minimal,( again! eye rolling smiley )

Coming through from Hamilton for the day, I’m minded to park on Slateford Road for a quick post concert getaway as my coach back South leaves at 8am the next day.

Friday night in Edinburgh March 9th - Local football Derby Between Hibs and Hearts [Edinburgh Footballs two teams] Hibs won as normal, Can drink as we did until 4.oo am as I said if you know where to go.. Don't worry If you want a drink it won't be a problem.

Yes Of course I know angry smiley. I did say I’m a Jambo. And I do travel up from my home in Oxfordshire for several games a season. I also went to Edinburgh University in the 80s so I know what it’s like even if my knowledge isn’t quite up to date.

It’s only been ‘as normal’ for the last 3 years. Over the course of our respective histories Hearts are miles ahead in derbies so enjoy your period of hegemony while it lasts. But I’m fair minded and I’m happy to admit that your mob are far better at the moment. Your all Scottish midfield is excellent and really ought to feature for Scotland.

I’m personally not too interested in a drink after the show as I have an 8am coach from Hamilton to Oxford the next day. Where are we (my cousin) best to park for a quick post show getaway? I thought on Slateford Road

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:30

There or maybe round Saughton Park / Balgreen Road. My brother in law always parks in Polwarth when he's going to Tynecastle, but you could probably get a bit closer than that.

Date: March 12, 2018 11:24

CaledonianGonzo
There or maybe round Saughton Park / Balgreen Road. My brother in law always parks in Polwarth when he's going to Tynecastle, but you could probably get a bit closer than that.

That sounds like a good shout - ta very. I don’t mind a longish walk after the show at all. To be honest, I’ll probably head back West on the A71 as the M8 will be chocca. It meets the M74 at Larkhall and from there to Hamilton.

Then back South, a week’s work and Cardiff on the Friday, my easiest to reach show of the tour. I'll only need to take the afternoon off. My office is a 15 minute walk from Swindon Rail Station and the Prinicipality Stadium is 5 minute walk from Cardiff Rail Station grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 14:11 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 12, 2018 11:37

I'm staying at the Haymarket Hub Hotel. Not exactly cheap, but relatively closer to both the venue and downtown.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: March 12, 2018 12:59

laertisflash
Dimrstone, where are you from, exactly?

I'm from ''Athens of the South'' laertis spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 12, 2018 16:36

That's Jay Z and Queen Bey announced to play Hampden on the same day, which might eat into the chances if this selling out.

Date: March 12, 2018 16:52

CaledonianGonzo
That's Jay Z and Queen Bey announced to play Hampden on the same day, which might eat into the chances if this selling out.

Not so much I don't think as they're unlikely to attract similar audiences. The roads and railways of Central Scotland will be mobbed that day !

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 12, 2018 22:15

grzegorz67
Tonstone
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo
On a Saturday afternoon the Caley seems to usually be chocka with couples and families grabbing lunch.

Really? Yikes - that rules that out then sad smiley . I always place value on local knowledge so thanks for that. As a Jambo, I know the area very well but not specific practicalities like that as I don’t live up there. I still think pubs on the South side of the railway are a better bet for being less crowded though as it’s the football close season and local interest in the World Cup will be minimal,( again! eye rolling smiley )

Coming through from Hamilton for the day, I’m minded to park on Slateford Road for a quick post concert getaway as my coach back South leaves at 8am the next day.

Friday night in Edinburgh March 9th - Local football Derby Between Hibs and Hearts [Edinburgh Footballs two teams] Hibs won as normal, Can drink as we did until 4.oo am as I said if you know where to go.. Don't worry If you want a drink it won't be a problem.

Yes Of course I know angry smiley. I did say I’m a Jambo. And I do travel up from my home in Oxfordshire for several games a season. I also went to Edinburgh University in the 80s so I know what it’s like even if my knowledge isn’t quite upgrzegorz67]
to date.

It’s only been ‘as normal’ for the last 3 years. Over the course of our respective histories Hearts are miles ahead in derbies so enjoy your period of hegemony while it lasts. But I’m fair minded and I’m happy to admit that your mob are far better at the moment. Your all Scottish midfield is excellent and really ought to feature for Scotland.

I’m personally not too interested in a drink after the show as I have an 8am coach from Hamilton to Oxford the next day. Where are we (my cousin) best to park for a quick post show getaway? I thought on Slateford Road

Hi grzegorz67]
Apologies if you misunderstood I was only trying to be general optioned rather than reply direct to you. I understand that you were not looking to have a drink after the concert due to your personal circumstances. I was merely pointing out that the prospect of anyone seeking a drink after the concert would not be a major issue. As for the football side of things I think you need to simplify your word to to your fellow Jumbos, Jimbos or Jambos whatever you call yourself this week. Hegemony is not a word they will understand or be able to translate . I have been there and know what it is like to lose only 4 times in 17 years . Hegemony indeed . Anyway this is not the place to discuss local football issues and I do respect your informed comments on the current situation. Hey what goes around comes around. Would love to buy you a beer keep in touch !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 22:23 by Tonstone.

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: March 13, 2018 09:14

after the presales for the Marseille show, i was disgusted...
But pit are still available for Murrayfield (at "normal" price 399£)!
so i'll be in edinburgh on the 9th of june!!!!
in pit A
I'm so happy!

See you there!

Date: March 13, 2018 09:47

grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo

Not so much I don't think as they're unlikely to attract similar audiences. The roads and railways of Central Scotland will be mobbed that day !

The hard-core fan base won't cross over much, but floating voters who just fancy a big day out at a gig by a huge artist will now have another option - particularly if (as rumoured) the cheapest tickets are only £25.

Date: March 13, 2018 15:42

Tonstone
grzegorz67
Tonstone
grzegorz67
CaledonianGonzo

Yes Of course I know angry smiley. I did say I’m a Jambo. And I do travel up from my home in Oxfordshire for several games a season. I also went to Edinburgh University in the 80s so I know what it’s like even if my knowledge isn’t quite upgrzegorz67]
to date.

Hi grzegorz67]
Apologies if you misunderstood I was only trying to be general optioned rather than reply direct to you. I understand that you were not looking to have a drink after the concert due to your personal circumstances. I was merely pointing out that the prospect of anyone seeking a drink after the concert would not be a major issue. As for the football side of things I think you need to simplify your word to to your fellow Jumbos, Jimbos or Jambos whatever you call yourself this week. Hegemony is not a word they will understand or be able to translate . I have been there and know what it is like to lose only 4 times in 17 years . Hegemony indeed . Anyway this is not the place to discuss local football issues and I do respect your informed comments on the current situation. Hey what goes around comes around. Would love to buy you a beer keep in touch !!

You're very kind, sir smileys with beer Before we park the football, one final fact about Hearts v Hibs which the many football fans on this forum probably don't know is that it is the very oldest top league local derby in the whole World. Forget Liverpool/Everton, Man City v United, the one 45 miles West and all of the rest, it is, from our fine Capital, Hearts v Hibs, 143 years old and counting and still fiercely fought to this day.
(Yes Notts County v Forest is about 10 years older but they rarely play one another and aren't really considered direct rivals.)

I'll wait and see. I might loiter around a while after the show to let the traffic clear. I'll be knackered when I get up at 630am odd on Sunday morning but what I'm doing that day i.e. sitting on a coach for 9 hours requires neither effort nor concentration thumbs up

When I was a student in Edinburgh in the 80s, the Grassmarket and Cowgate were the places for late night drinking - to 3am-ish but a lot of it got reigned in at the end of the 80s due to residents' complaints. It's long since changed names but Sneaky Pete's down in Cowgate under the bridge used to let you in as long as you could remain vertical. When I was 19, I had a 'dizzy' turn and fell flat on my back in there and it took several people to lift me to my feet. I STILL wasn't asked to leave, which was perhaps the measure of the place.... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 15:44 by grzegorz67.

Date: March 13, 2018 18:30

Sneaky Pete's has been back in action for a.long time now and is going strong.

[www.sneakypetes.co.uk]

Date: March 13, 2018 18:46

CaledonianGonzo
Sneaky Pete's has been back in action for a.long time now and is going strong.

[www.sneakypetes.co.uk]

Excellent! It was defintely called something else for a while though. I haven't ventured down there at night in years hence my out of date knowledge. Back then, most of the pubs in that area (Bannermans ? The Green Tree?) used to stay open until about 3.

Date: March 13, 2018 20:36

There are still plenty of places open till 3: Maddogs, Fingers, the Subway. You just won't catch me in most of the @#$%&.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 15, 2018 17:36

The Rolling Stones

The Tongue & Lips have made their way up to Edinburgh! Send in your pics from the BT Murrayfield Stadium using #StonesNoFilter... can someone take the tongues a brolly

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 15, 2018 21:43

Looks like a nice day grinning smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 15, 2018 23:08

thats an edinburgh heatwave.

Posted by: JHARPER1 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 20:27

does anyone know why the Edinburgh show is starting at 4:00? Also, anyone know who/if there is an opening act.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 22:03

JHARPER1
does anyone know why the Edinburgh show is starting at 4:00? Also, anyone know who/if there is an opening act.

I think Coventry is the same. I just reckon it's when the gates are open, I should imagine the support band will start around 1800 - 18.30.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 18, 2018 11:29

Is there a nice place to have breakfast on sundays near E. Castle? Have to fly back to Holland at 2 o clock pm.
Jeroen

Date: March 18, 2018 11:31

JHARPER1

Stones will start roundabout 20.30 or 2100 o clock.yes there will be a support band.
Jeroen

Date: March 18, 2018 14:29

corriecas
Is there a nice place to have breakfast on sundays near E. Castle? Have to fly back to Holland at 2 o clock pm.
Jeroen

[www.edinburghlarder.co.uk]

Date: March 18, 2018 17:04

CaledonianGonzo
corriecas
Jeroen

[www.edinburghlarder.co.uk]
Thanks
Jeroen

Date: March 19, 2018 18:27

For those tracking train fares for this show (and Manchester), the dates for these shows just became available for the discount fares via "best fare finder" on Virgin. I just got London to Manchester for £23, and then Liverpool (after couple day stopover) to Edinburgh for £12.
[www.virgintrains.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 18:28 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 20, 2018 09:13

Good sport MrDDDD - but for those who don't know the UK rail system, that's only one company. Tickets on other routes (eg from London or Bristol) are yet to drop to their lowest prices.

Date: March 20, 2018 10:31

syrel
Good sport MrDDDD - but for those who don't know the UK rail system, that's only one company. Tickets on other routes (eg from London or Bristol) are yet to drop to their lowest prices.

Not really familiar with train buying, is it normal that they will drop?

Cant get a decent price from Birmingham at the moment.

Even thinking of flying up there and catching the train back.

Date: March 20, 2018 10:32

For anybody interested, there will be a gun salute at Edinburgh castle on the saturday 9th June for one of the queens birthdays.grinning smileygrinning smileysmoking smiley

Date: March 20, 2018 14:11

syrel
Gotcha, syrel.
Still waiting for Transpennine to drop their prices for Edinburgh back to London, which is the lowest I've been able to find @£30 (based on earlier Sundays).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home