Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24
Re: Twickenham 19/6
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2018 06:00

Looking forward to it, Harlix!
I'm sure as it gets closer their will be a designated spot smileys with beer

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 25, 2018 11:08

I'm going to Twickenham. Any locals on IORR who can make a recommendation?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 25, 2018 12:34

The Cabbage Patch public house put on a barbecue for the last few Twickenham shows, so I'll be heading there again.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 25, 2018 12:38

Inevitably The Cabbage Patch will be the venue of choice.

But it's far from being the best pub in Twickenham.

The Eel Pie and The Fox (both down Church Street) are better pubs, but it won't make any difference what I or others recommend, everyone will go for the lazy choice.

Also, as an aside, do check out the Eel Pie Island Museum (not on the island, but a stones (ahem...) throw away.

They are not usually open on Tuesdays & despite email requests from me, advising them that it would be in their interests to open on show day, they haven't extended me the courtesy of a reply.
However, I'm sure they will open. Much Stones related history to view.

[www.eelpiemuseum.co.uk]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2018 14:34

Yep. Cabbage Patch was the fan forums bar of choice in 2003 and 2006. Great times.

Hopefully they'll clarify soon if theyre opening or not or we'll have to make other plans!

Date: April 25, 2018 15:17

Gazza
Yep. Cabbage Patch was the fan forums bar of choice in 2003 and 2006. Great times.

Hopefully they'll clarify soon if theyre opening or not or we'll have to make other plans!
Believe the Cabbage Patch is definitely open, and the previous post was regarding the Eel Pie Museum being closed on Tuesdays, Gazza.
See you there!

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2018 15:59

See you there Harlix, do you need a ticketsmiling smiley

Stones London sightseeing tour recommendations.
Posted by: Ram ()
Date: April 24, 2018 19:22

Hey everyone, I’m looking for some help on getting around London to see some of the Stones most important and historic landmarks. Making the trip for the Twickenham gig and I will be around for about a week. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific bus tour? Won’t have a car so relying on taxis to go to each individual spot may be costly.
Cheers

Re: Stones London sightseeing tour recommendations.
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 24, 2018 19:28

I'm sure the local Londoners on this board will have some great suggestions.

As a person who has been to the UK several times, I am taking an all day tour of Stonehenge, Bath and the Cotswolds as I have never made it there in my previous trips.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2018 19:33

Wise choice BluzDude - get away from the London rat race for a day and soak in some history and beauty. thumbs up

Date: April 24, 2018 19:57

Ram
Hey everyone, I’m looking for some help on getting around London to see some of the Stones most important and historic landmarks. Making the trip for the Twickenham gig and I will be around for about a week. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific bus tour? Won’t have a car so relying on taxis to go to each individual spot may be costly.
Cheers
Don't believe there are any specific stones bus tours. (also spending a couple days in Liverpool after Manchester gig, and did buy a Beatles bus tour cool smiley )

I'm doing similar, but have mapped out trains and busses to see quite a few sites.
Added a one day rail pass to an Oyster Card, planning on utilizing to hit Dartford and perhaps another out of the way locale.
[www.londontoolkit.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 24, 2018 20:08

MisterDDDD
Ram
Cheers
Don't believe there are any specific stones bus tours. (also spending a couple days in Liverpool after Manchester gig, and did buy a Beatles bus tour cool smiley )

I'm doing similar, but have mapped out trains and busses to see quite a few sites.
Added a one day rail pass to an Oyster Card, planning on utilizing to hit Dartford and perhaps another out of the way locale.
[www.londontoolkit.com]

For those going to visit Liverpool, I recommend visiting the Casbah Coffee Club, I found it more interesting than the Cavern. I was there in 2007 and got a private tour by Pete Best's brother.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 24, 2018 20:13

Abbey Road crossing grinning smiley

[www.earthcam.com]

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 24, 2018 20:20

Go to the Barbican.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 20:21 by Bastion.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 24, 2018 20:30

London - Stones Recommendations: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 24, 2018 20:35

BluzDude

As a person who has been to the UK several times, I am taking an all day tour of Stonehenge, Bath and the Cotswolds as I have never made it there in my previous trips.

First visit (May 18-22) for my wife and I to London.

We arrive Friday lunchtime and are (so far) only signed up for an all day (Saturday) tour of Stonehenge, Oxford & Salsbury, but any recommendations that folks could offer for favorite restaurants, museums or "shops" would be greatly appreciated. Other than the IORR band show on Monday, I've got to keep my baby busy! She's not nearly the Stones fan that I am (as of now, she's not planning on seeing the Stones) so "normal tourist" ideas would be great.

Any favorites or local insights will be greatly appreciated by she and I in our efforts to "keep mama happy"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 24, 2018 21:31

mr_dja
BluzDude

First visit (May 18-22) for my wife and I to London.

We arrive Friday lunchtime and are (so far) only signed up for an all day (Saturday) tour of Stonehenge, Oxford & Salsbury, but any recommendations that folks could offer for favorite restaurants, museums or "shops" would be greatly appreciated. Other than the IORR band show on Monday, I've got to keep my baby busy! She's not nearly the Stones fan that I am (as of now, she's not planning on seeing the Stones) so "normal tourist" ideas would be great.

Any favorites or local insights will be greatly appreciated by she and I in our efforts to "keep mama happy"!

"Picture yourself in a boat on a river"...smiling smiley...take a guided river cruise up and down the Thames - embark from Westminster Bridge right near Parliament, Big Ben, and across from the London Eye (massive ferris wheel) and will take you down to Greenwich and back ( if it's a hop on hop off take some time in Greenwich for observatory, maritime museum, etc.)

City Cruises via Westminster Millenium Pier

As for museums:
The British Museum - breathtaking collection of British history as well as artifacts pillaged and plundered/stolen/collected from around the world (Ancient Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc).

The National Gallery - overlooking Trafalgar Square (along with adjoining National Portrait Gallery)- massive collection of masterpiece paintings from around the world.
Including Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Monet, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, and on and on....

(Both of the above museums are FREE!)

Needless to say, just the tip of the iceberg as there's so much to see and do in London.
Some of it is touristy yes, but there's a reason why and no shame in being a tourist - thats what you're there for (and a Rolling Stones concert winking smiley )

“Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” - Samuel Johnson, 1777

Date: April 24, 2018 21:42

Thanks Hairball! I'm more than willing to be touristy when I visit somewhere new...

Glad you mentioned the National Gallery... That name always escapes me for some reason.

I like the idea of the Thames cruise... I'll be browsing that link to see how I can tie that in to a cycle on the London Eye.

Thanks again (and in advance to others who haven't posted yet!)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 24, 2018 21:50

mr_dja
Thanks Hairball! I'm more than willing to be touristy when I visit somewhere new...

Glad you mentioned the National Gallery... That name always escapes me for some reason.

I like the idea of the Thames cruise... I'll be browsing that link to see how I can tie that in to a cycle on the London Eye.

Registered for a Groupon UK account and got a great deal on a 3 day unlimited pass for the cruise. Hop on and off, plan on utilizing a bit. They had a half off any one deal promo, got it for £6. Promo over now but will likely return, even at full price a good deal.
[www.groupon.co.uk]

Date: April 24, 2018 22:30

MisterDDDD
mr_dja

Registered for a Groupon UK account and got a great deal on a 3 day unlimited pass for the cruise. Hop on and off, plan on utilizing a bit. They had a half off any one deal promo, got it for £6. Promo over now but will likely return, even at full price a good deal.
[www.groupon.co.uk]

thumbs up And thanks to you as well MisterDDDD. GREAT IDEA

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 24, 2018 22:45

BluzDude

If it's your cup of tea, St. Martin's Hospital in Bath is where Eddie Cochran died in 1960. There's a memorial garden on the grounds. There is also a roadside marker where his car crashed on the A4 south of Chippenham.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:21

london has plenty of unstones things to do too.

london eye
science museum
natural history museum
museum of london
british museum
tate gallery
thames boat trips
london underground and bus tours
just to name a few.

Date: April 25, 2018 00:37

And a Jack the Ripper walking tour...on a dark foggy night....oooohhhh spoooky...and very touristy...smiling smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 25, 2018 01:57

A few ideas off the top of my head:

Courthouse Hotel, 21 Great Marlborough Street - site of the former Great Marlborough Street Court where Mick (in 1969) and Keith (in 1973) received fines for drug offences. The hotel bar is where the cell block was and two or three of the holding cells are still in there - you can have a private drink in them with your mates.

Downe House, Richmond. Former marital home of Mick and Jerry, which she stayed in until marrying Rupert Murdoch. After Mick and Jerry split up, he apparently kept a separate apartment on the top floor of the house. What's funny is the lift on the side of the house that was built so Mick could access the apartment without having to go through the house. How he ever got planning permission for that I don't know, as it's quite an ugly monstrosity! Maybe it's been removed since Jerry left. The Wick - Ronnie's previous abode and now Pete Townshend's - is also just a short walk up the road.

Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, where Mick and Keith both had properties at various points. Mick still does (I think) but a different place than before. And Anita Pallenberg's London home in later life was there as well.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:01

Ram
Cheers

There is always the underground/tube/subway/metro to go quickly from one side of town to the other.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:06

If you like old churches and are near St Paul’s, walk about 5 minutes north to St Bartholomew the Great. Oldest church in London, scenes for Shakespeare in Love and Four Weddings and A Funeral were shot there. Very cool, usually empty. William Wallace was executed across the street and the old Smithfield market a block over is also pretty cool.

Also, going west from St Paul’s along Fleet St and into the Temple Gardens, Temple Church and Inns of the Court is very cool. You might as well continue on to the Savoy Hotel and the little alley behind there where Bob Dylan filmed the video for Subterranean Homesick Blues. Lovely area.

Spittalfields Market is also awesome! Start at Tower Hill tube and admire the Tower and bits of London Wall then walk north about 10 minutes. It’s a cool open-air market with great artists and other shopping.

Oh! Forgot about Little Venice! Go up to Maida Vale (Warwick Ave tube) and walk along the canals, past all the canal boats, past (through) Regent’s Park to Camden Town. Excellent walk, my new favourite in London.

I give tours... £££! winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:22

Go to Buck Palace and play Jig Saw Puzzle at HIGH volume ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:29

Rockman

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:30

Rockman

What the...?! Tally ho!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:33

Hairball and all those grandmas who with their dying breaths screamed... THANKS

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home