Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 39
Re: Dublin Ireland travel and show info
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 24, 2018 23:30

TornFrayedSue
i would guess the whole tour is somewhat over the public demand, as no-one thought they would add this extra in 2018. So many traveled to venues overseas last year, and have no will to spend another fortune on tix. Ireland is then the first to lose, with one of the largest venues and the least population... Hope it works out well, and luck to all Dippers smoking smiley

Then there are those like me. This is the first time I am traveling overseas for the reason of seeing Stones (or any band).

When I saw Black Sabbath in Stockholm, the Stones at Slane Castle, the Who in Hyde Park and AC/DC in Glasgow, It was because I booked holiday travel and these bands happened to be playing at the time I was in these cities....ok, I admit I may have moved my scheduling around a bit to catch these shows...

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: April 24, 2018 23:41

Still waiting on my collector ticket to arrive

Hopefully have it soon

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:07

BluzDude
TornFrayedSue
i would guess the whole tour is somewhat over the public demand, as no-one thought they would add this extra in 2018. So many traveled to venues overseas last year, and have no will to spend another fortune on tix. Ireland is then the first to lose, with one of the largest venues and the least population... Hope it works out well, and luck to all Dippers smoking smiley

Then there are those like me. This is the first time I am traveling overseas for the reason of seeing Stones (or any band).

When I saw Black Sabbath in Stockholm, the Stones at Slane Castle, the Who in Hyde Park and AC/DC in Glasgow, It was because I booked holiday travel and these bands happened to be playing at the time I was in these cities....ok, I admit I may have moved my scheduling around a bit to catch these shows...

Well, I am with you smiling smiley Always wanted to pay a visit to Dublin, so that coincided with the concert. Will be arriving 15th, May to have time to tour the city and close with the Stones as a highlight smiling smiley

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:09

Healy52003
Still waiting on my collector ticket to arrive

Hopefully have it soon

Same here

Date: April 25, 2018 00:19

Any chance to meet up with some of you guys and gals of iorr prior to the show? Though Only a newbie after lurking around here only reading, it would great to meet some of you on person smoking smiley

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:22

And still, 2 days on, LD tickets available. Despite Twitter, Facebook notifications. Sad.

Satisfied since 1976

Date: April 25, 2018 00:23

TornFrayedSue
Any chance to meet up with some of you guys and gals of iorr prior to the show? Though Only a newbie after lurking around here only reading, it would great to meet some of you on person smoking smiley

Keep your eyes and ears open. I've been to a few of these meet-ups before Stones shows in London back in 2007 and in Los Angeles in 2013, and hardly anyone showed up. Hopefully it will be different this time

Date: April 25, 2018 00:26

BluzDude
TornFrayedSue

Keep your eyes and ears open. I've been to a few of these meet-ups before Stones shows in London back in 2007 and in Los Angeles in 2013, and hardly anyone showed up. Hopefully it will be different this time

Thanlks a lot for the warning, highly appreciated, but if the pub is right, I would not be too disappointed, still enjoying a good brew, as I am traveling with my better half smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:45

TornFrayedSue

plus its the most remote gig (geographically) and it went on sale three weeks after the rest of the tour did.

Said it long ago, that it was far too big a venue for this gig at those prices. Had the Aviva Stadium been available, it would have been the perfect choice.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: April 25, 2018 01:50

Gazza
TornFrayedSue

plus its the most remote gig (geographically) and it went on sale three weeks after the rest of the tour did.

Said it long ago, that it was far too big a venue for this gig at those prices. Had the Aviva Stadium been available, it would have been the perfect choice.

But wouldn't the Stones guarantee have been just as high, so with a smaller capacity venue, tickets would've been even dearer in Aviva?

Admittedly, no license issue so quicker out of the traps with sales, but the numbers would've been the same...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 25, 2018 02:37

textmonkey
Gazza
TornFrayedSue

But wouldn't the Stones guarantee have been just as high, so with a smaller capacity venue, tickets would've been even dearer in Aviva?

Admittedly, no license issue so quicker out of the traps with sales, but the numbers would've been the same...

Not necessarily. They're playing similar sized venues (and some smaller) in the UK for similar prices to Dublin.

After selling enough tickets to cover what the band's guarantee is, I'd imagine that the decision to play an 80,000 seater stadium instead of a 50,000 is more to do with what extra money the promoter reckons THEY can squeeze out of it.

As it is, it looks like they'll be taking a few 'executive' decisions to offload a few thousand tickets at 'firesale' prices. The second run of lucky dip tickets being one.

Anyone who thought this show would sell out - and on a Thursday night too - after all the fiascoes that preceded it being confirmed needs their head examined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 02:39 by Gazza.

Date: April 25, 2018 11:35

Gazza
textmonkey
Gazza
TornFrayedSue

Not necessarily. They're playing similar sized venues (and some smaller) in the UK for similar prices to Dublin.

After selling enough tickets to cover what the band's guarantee is, I'd imagine that the decision to play an 80,000 seater stadium instead of a 50,000 is more to do with what extra money the promoter reckons THEY can squeeze out of it.

As it is, it looks like they'll be taking a few 'executive' decisions to offload a few thousand tickets at 'firesale' prices. The second run of lucky dip tickets being one.

Anyone who thought this show would sell out - and on a Thursday night too - after all the fiascoes that preceded it being confirmed needs their head examined.

That's fair enough; I thought the 'guarantee' would be so high for a standalone gig in one country they'd need the larger venue. Aiken doesn't have the economies of scale that AEG is getting. But yeah, either way, I think the word 'hubris' is going to get flung about a lot over the next few weeks.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: April 25, 2018 13:09

3 week's till I fly in...And still Dip's WoW!!!...M

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 14:46

Gazza
textmonkey
Gazza
TornFrayedSue

Another good post Gazza. This almighty balls up is nothing to do with the Stones and everything to do with the Promoter's poor judgement, planning and a failure to read the market. The Stones will turn up on time and deliver a good show to the best of their professional ability as they always do.

When an event of any kind takes place in a huge venue, the scarcety/exclusivity factor is taken away and people know they can turn up on the day and get easy entry if they so choose. A small venue creates an 'exclusive' factor and people will rush for the limited number of tickets and tolerate the high prices. The promoter obviously promised the Stones their guarantees before even knowing the venue's use could be confirmed. And then there's the 3 long known ED Sheerin shows the same week and the huge pressure that's heaped on accomodation in a small city, detering travellers from abroad.

Poor, poor management, anticipation and a complete failure to see the big picture and join the dots. Financially, they're likely to be rewarded with a hard boot in the crown jewels.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 25, 2018 15:25

lucky dip still available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 15:26 by BowieStone.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 15:31

BowieStone
lucky dip still available.

I bet this will be the case until showtime. You can select so many sections on Ticketmaster including multiple blocks near the stage. I think they need the Dippers to fill those sections.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:21

Anything known about what is allowed to bring in (e.g. small bags, small cameras) and what not?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:42

They need to announce a better support act to shift some of these tickets.
Liam Gallagher, The Specials, Richard Ashcroft & Elbow all announced for various dates in England. Dublin gets The Academic, they ain't gonna shift too many tickets.

I'm sure they could get GNR to open for them as a warm up for their Euro tour!

(Leave me to my daydreams...) grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 20:44 by Paddy.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:47

MAF
Anything known about what is allowed to bring in (e.g. small bags, small cameras) and what not?

Will probably be the same as the U2 concert...
[crokepark.ie]

Small camera and small bag (21.0x29.7cm, 8.27x11.69 inches) OK.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 25, 2018 22:12

TE
MAF

Will probably be the same as the U2 concert...
[crokepark.ie]

Small camera and small bag (21.0x29.7cm, 8.27x11.69 inches) OK.

TE
Oslo
The link doesn't work ("page not found") any more. Maybe they prepare an update for "Heath & safety".

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 22:12

Paddy
Liam Gallagher, The Specials, Richard Ashcroft & Elbow all announced for various dates in England. Dublin gets The Academic, they ain't gonna shift too many tickets.

Elbow aren’t playing in England and Ashcroft’s only doing Manchester in England.

Date: April 26, 2018 00:24

grzegorz67
Paddy

Elbow aren’t playing in England and Ashcroft’s only doing Manchester in England.

Still beats the F**Kin Academic. (Thanks for the info)

Posted by: terry ()
Date: April 26, 2018 00:39

So I take it the organisers knew the state of play concerning tickets sales, before they announced the support act.
If the tickets are slow then they had time to add a bigger surport act on Monday this week to help push for more sales,they have done that in the past.

I take it the stones are aware of how the sales are going, I've always felt in the past jagger is keeped up to date on things,as jagger runs things from his control room..lol

If ticket sales are slow then could we the fans could help in our free time, by walking around Dublin with sandwich boards.
With slogans like buy one ticket get one free, or please help the stones in there hour of need.... your Rolling Stones need you....yay

terry

Date: April 26, 2018 00:41

Paddy
grzegorz67
Paddy

Still beats the F**Kin Academic. (Thanks for the info)

....What were they thinking! I checked them out on YouTube....I don't think they will move the needle for anyone who's on the fence about this show.
(In other words, no one will choose to go to this show because of the opening act.)

It's almost as if the promoters want to lose money on this show....or maybe they are thinking since they hardly have to pay these guys anything, it will be less of a loss, (I don't really think they think this way...but who knows?).

Posted by: CallM ()
Date: April 26, 2018 09:14

I have to agree.

I’m all for the support and promotion of Irish bands but I listen to the radio 8 hours a day in work and still had to look up who they were online.

I personally know a few people that were on the fence and when they’d heard the UK support acts had the wallets out but put them back when the academic were announced.

No disrespect intended, they do have some catchy tunes but they are not, IMO, at supporting the Stones level

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 26, 2018 13:55

Mick: "Time to get in to tour mode! #stonesnofilter" - [Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] .

Yeah: only 3 weeks left until the Tour starts .... smileys with beer

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: April 26, 2018 19:12

Could Ed Sheeran be invited to the show on his day off in Dublin ???

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 26, 2018 19:19

Healy52003
Could Ed Sheeran be invited to the show on his day off in Dublin ???

Wouldn't be surprising at all.
If I had to bet, I would bet that he will, given that he's in the area and how much mutual respect they seem to have. Be good for publicity as well helping with ticket sales for the rest of the tour to have a surprise guest appearance of that stature.

Date: April 26, 2018 21:28

And now a mailshot about Lucky Dips available for Croke Park...

Date: April 26, 2018 21:59

CallM
I have to agree.

I’m all for the support and promotion of Irish bands but I listen to the radio 8 hours a day in work and still had to look up who they were online.

I personally know a few people that were on the fence and when they’d heard the UK support acts had the wallets out but put them back when the academic were announced.

No disrespect intended, they do have some catchy tunes but they are not, IMO, at supporting the Stones level

Same as this, I'm all for promoting Irish bands, I've played in some!, but these guys are not at the level needed to support the Stones. I hope they prove me wrong, but they don't look the types that will scrap out a response from the crowd.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 39

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home