Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091
Current Page: 91 of 91
Re: intensity of stones performance.
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 19, 2018 23:06

The pattern hasn't changed for a while and it's unlikely to see it change again. So I don't know how much further it's going to go on, and of course it's possible that it's all over. But nobody can possibly feel deprived or ripped-off, they were there for the shows, all that you had to do was show up.

The last time they really made a mark was with the Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon tours. They were really delivering new music and offering innovative themed staging. The Licks tour did not offer anything new, but they did a damn good job of it.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 19, 2018 23:13

24FPS
They've been on such a slow, downward waltz that it's hard to point out a few gigs as being indicators of anything. Maybe with seven straight years of tours under their belt they've finally reached a semblance of what they were. Keith seemed at zero altitude when he returned in 2012 after a long layoff, where he admitted he hadn't been playing much guitar. In the past he could shake off the rust quicker. With his chronic arthritis I'm sure it's been an impediment to his playing getting better. He seems to hit about half the notes he used to, and a short solo is rare now.

They were so great in the past. They had such a better rhythm section. They had menace they were so great. It's hard to compare The Greatest Hits Stones to the former groups. There's a bunch of former NBA players who travel on a circuit and play half court. First to fifty wins. No one is confusing those guys with what they were in their prime. It's nice to see them, and you get an occasional reminder of what they once were. And if you enjoy that, more power to you.
very well stated

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 23:27

MileHigh
The pattern hasn't changed for a while and it's unlikely to see it change again. So I don't know how much further it's going to go on, and of course it's possible that it's all over. But nobody can possibly feel deprived or ripped-off, they were there for the shows, all that you had to do was show up.

The last time they really made a mark was with the Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon tours. They were really delivering new music and offering innovative themed staging. The Licks tour did not offer anything new, but they did a damn good job of it.

It was their 1st tour since 1975 which had no new album behind it and even then, IORR was only the previous year. Some cities got a Stadium/Arena/Club show 'triple' with a very different setlist in each, which was novel.

This was the point at which ticket prices started to increase astronomically. In Europe they were 2-3 times BtB. In the UK, we had seats on the floor in stadia, which I personally detest.

But the performances were mostly very good but definitely slower than BtB.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2018 01:08

grzegorz67
MileHigh

It was their 1st tour since 1975 which had no new album behind it and even then, IORR was only the previous year. Some cities got a Stadium/Arena/Club show 'triple' with a very different setlist in each, which was novel.

This was the point at which ticket prices started to increase astronomically. In Europe they were 2-3 times BtB. In the UK, we had seats on the floor in stadia, which I personally detest.

But the performances were mostly very good but definitely slower than BtB.

I was going to say that the Licks tour did offer multiple opportunities to see them in a small club or theater (along with stadiums and arenas) - something that hadn't happened before or since. And the prices for those club/theater shows were on average much less and very reasonable than the bigger shows. I think I paid between $75 and as high as $125 for those small shows, while some of the stadium and arena shows were going for as high as $350 for the best seats which almost seems a bargain compared to what they charge now for similar seats.

And...they did have a new song that was played regularly - the wimpy Don't Stop, and Keith did his cover of Nearness of You quite a few times.

Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:42

Wired: The Kooks pity The Rolling Stones

READING & Leeds rockers The Kooks think The Rolling Stones have it hard.

By James Cabooter & Sam Myers / Published 24th August 2018

The Brighton band opened for the legends this summer and frontman Luke Pritchard insists he isn’t jealous of their fame.

Ahead of their set today, Luke told me: “I’ve met them a few times in different situations but when they’re about to go on stage it’s like being at Madame Tussauds, like they’re legends, and it doesn’t feel real.

“It’s the most f***ed up thing as they do this all day, and you feel sorry for them in a way as you’re so in awe, and you’re just staring, and you’ve known them since you were a baby but they’re just guys.

“You know, they all still watch the football together and stuff.

“Being that level of famous is hard in itself. No matter how attractive the Stones’ life is that comes with baggage, for their children, their friends and their family.

“It’s not an easy road. Whether it’s luck or not I don’t know.”

Luke is unsure if he wants to be as big as Mick Jagger and co.

He continued: “Sometimes I think philosophically, is that the goal? If you can keep a roof over your head and walk to the shops and buy a pint of milk without being bothered, maybe that is a good thing.”

[www.dailystar.co.uk]

Chuck Leavell s tweet about Stones scores (From Billboard)
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 27, 2018 22:18

The Rolling Stones Wrap No Filter Tour With $237.8 Million EarnedAugust 5, 2018
The trek played to 1.5 million fans over 28 sold-out shows.The close of the second European leg of The Rolling Stones’ No Filter tour finds the band with 14 more sellouts to its credit, selling out every show of its jaunt between May and July, to lead the Hot Tours ranking dated Aug. 4.In all, the tour’s second European leg, which kicked off May 17 at Dublin’s Croke Park and concluded at PGE Narodowy in Warsaw on July 8, grossed $117,844,618 over 750,874 tickets sold, according to data reported to Billboard. It was led by a significant chunk of change from the band’s two-night set at London Stadium, which brought in $20,496,697 over the shows on May 22 and 25.
AEG and Concerts West promoted the entire leg together, with other local promoters adding support on various dates.
Charlie Watts, Keith Richards, Liam Gallagher, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones pose backstage during the ‘No Filter’ tour at London Stadium on May 22, 2018 in London.
The Rolling Stones Kick Off a Happy Homecoming Run in London with Liam Gallagher
The recently reported dates are coupled with another 14-date set that ran from Sept. 9-Oct. 25, 2017 on the continent that brought in $119,957,689, making the tour’s overall gross $237,802,307 with 1,506,219 tickets and 28 sold-out shows. 
How does that compare to past jaunts? The Stones’ most recent tour leg of a similar length came in early 2016, when the band toured Latin America from Feb. 3 (Santiago, Chile) to March 25 (Havana, Cuba) — 14 dates in all, though the Havana date was put on for free. Then, the band accrued $83,874,323 over 729,292 tickets sold.
Meanwhile, the band’s Zip Code Tour, which stretched from May 20-July 15, 2015, in the U.S., earned just under $110 million.
(From "Billboard")

Re: Chuck Leavell s tweet about Stones scores (From Billboard)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2018 22:52

Beat their Zip Code mark.
The haters will say making a ton of money isn't exactly a thing to feel good about as a fan, I say nonsense. Good on 'em.
I like my favorite band to be successful in all their endeavors.
Always have, always will cool smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 27, 2018 23:07

they deserve the money.

not as if its split 4 ways, they have a lot of people to pay, who might not be guaranteed regular employment.

Re: Chuck Leavell' s tweet
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 27, 2018 23:11

Old news. Chuck needs to upgrade his Twitterer...

[iorr.org]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 28, 2018 00:53

Okay you know what?
I’m sorry, I dislike this write up on
‘A few thoughts/ let us salute Mick Jagger turning 75’ from website.
It reminds me of a former passive aggressive person I once read.
I understand the compliments, I do not like one bit the assured take on ‘Beast of Burden’. There is a few other nicks in there too.
Sorry. I understand they can’t tour without Chuck and how instrumental he has been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 00:54 by 35love.

Date: August 28, 2018 01:13

Plundering and pillaging their way from town to town like pirates filling their chests with treasures - congrats to the Stones for another successful tour. thumbs up

Looking forward to their return to the US!

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 28, 2018 01:45

will see you all at MSG NYC next year!!....I'm buying!!!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 28, 2018 02:11

Hairball
Plundering and pillaging their way from town to town like pirates filling their chests with treasures - congrats to the Stones for another successful tour. thumbs up

Looking forward to their return to the US!

Yes, please come plunder and pillage Vancouver!! It's been 12 years now.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2018 03:16

The close of the second European leg of The Rolling Stones’ No Filter tour finds the band with 14 more sellouts to its credit, selling out every show of its jaunt between May and July, to lead the Hot Tours ranking dated Aug. 4.

Not that it matters, but its nonsensical to claim that all of those shows were sold out.

I'm pretty sure there were tickets available at showtime for all of them although they almost all sold very well.

You could easily have got another 12-15,000 into Croke Park for starters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 03:17 by Gazza.

Date: August 28, 2018 03:18

35love
Okay you know what?

What "write up"? The Billboard article talks numbers only. None of the band members are even mentioned by name.

Date: August 28, 2018 03:24

bye bye johnny
35love
Okay you know what?

What "write up"? The Billboard article talks numbers only. None of the band members are even mentioned by name.

[www.chuckleavell.com]

P.S.
Rubbish ‘Some Girls’ comment about Keith
Okay I’m done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 03:27 by 35love.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2018 03:33

….. keith did say that 'Some Girls' line ….

From memory it's in the rewind doco when Norman Gunstan interviewing them …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 28, 2018 03:37

35love
bye bye johnny
35love
Okay you know what?

[www.chuckleavell.com]

P.S.
Okay I’m done.

It was written by Rob Sheffield and published on the Rolling Stone website: [www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Chuck Leavell
Date: August 28, 2018 03:37

35love
bye bye johnny
35love
Okay you know what?

[www.chuckleavell.com]

Thanks, A little context goes a looong way...even if it has nothing to do with the tour boxscore. ; )

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 28, 2018 03:38

35love
bye bye johnny
35love
Okay you know what?

[www.chuckleavell.com]

P.S.
Okay I’m done.

An interesting read and I couldn't believe that Chuck had written it (hey, he or whoever does his website, did do something that netiquette forbids by copying the whole text !) and he didn't !

Agreed on the BS comment about Mick writing most of the music for SG...he first made that claim for SW in 1989 !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 28, 2018 03:42

Christamighty,Chuck didn't write that! There's a link to the Rolling Stone piece by Rob Sheffield.

Re: Chuck Leavell
Date: August 28, 2018 03:46

bye bye johnny
35love
bye bye johnny
35love
Okay you know what?

[www.chuckleavell.com]

Thanks, A little context goes a looong way...even if it has nothing to do with the tour boxscore. ; )

Well frankly I didn’t want to post it with negative from me, thought I’d dropped enough hints, but for you Johnny, anything :-)

Date: August 28, 2018 03:48

bye bye johnny
Christamighty,Chuck didn't write that! There's a link to the Rolling Stone piece by Rob Sheffield.

It’s awful.

Date: August 28, 2018 03:54

P.S.
Sorry if I threw Chuck under the bus.
It was not clear it was a copied article.

Re; (was) Chuck Leavell
Date: August 28, 2018 03:56

This thread's taken on too much water. Gonna follow Captain's orders and abandon ship.

Date: August 28, 2018 04:02

Gazza
The close of the second European leg of The Rolling Stones’ No Filter tour finds the band with 14 more sellouts to its credit, selling out every show of its jaunt between May and July, to lead the Hot Tours ranking dated Aug. 4.

Not that it matters, but its nonsensical to claim that all of those shows were sold out.

I'm pretty sure there were tickets available at showtime for all of them although they almost all sold very well.

You could easily have got another 12-15,000 into Croke Park for starters.

Yes it's ridiculous Gazza and was discussed here a while ago - evidently the term "sellout" and "sold out" have become somewhat meaningless in today's world.
And then there's the flex pricing, the price drops, selling discounted tickets on groupon, adding more Lucky Dips converted from tickets that weren't sold at regular price, etc., etc, etc...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091
Current Page: 91 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home