Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091Next
Current Page: 90 of 91
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 9, 2018 00:26

August is vacation month for the other 1/2 of the world,
maybe new news in Sept.?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 9, 2018 16:21

Green Lady
hockenheim95
grzegorz67
Well maybe this cuts it then. I was actually present at all 8 UK shows and saw for myself. There were visible empty seats at Every one of them, especially Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh. And Dublin? Don’t make me laugh. There were whole swathes of empty seats there. The venue was far too big.

At several shows, People couldn’t give away their spare Lucky Dips outside, including some Pits!!!

That’s not to say it wasn’t a very successful tour which it clearly was but sold out it was most certainly not and to claim it was is complete nonsense.

They even had a second round of Lucky Dip ticket sales for the U.K. gigs and that didn’t fill the gaps.

All impressions depend on so much different Things. I've seen all UK shows but Manchester and Southampton and for me Cardiff seemed to me the most packed venue while Twickenham and London 1 Had the most empty seats (in the UK). Of course Dublin was the show with the most empty seats.

Cardiff certainly had a few empty areas in the stands, but the floor was packed.

There were no wristbands for GA in Cardiff, which created opportunities to get onto the pitch easily grinning smiley.

In Edinburgh, the opposite happened. There were a couple of spells of rain that day, one during the show (hence Mick's hat) and I saw a good few people with GA wristbands taking up empty seats in the stands. Security was poor in Edinburgh and I imagine geting into GA wouldn't have been hard if you really wanted to.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 10, 2018 03:52

"#TBT... Warsaw, July 8th!"

[twitter.com]

Date: August 10, 2018 04:53

KEITH XOXO

I saw this an Instagram and love it. It is also a big deal to me personally that I was at No Filter 1, and No Filter 2.
Thank you Keith —

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 10, 2018 16:42

J. Bouquet

Keith Richards added 16 new photos to the album: No Filter Tour 2018.

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 10, 2018 20:22

bye bye johnny

J. Bouquet

Keith Richards added 16 new photos to the album: No Filter Tour 2018.

[www.facebook.com]

*Thank you bye bye Johnny
I’m a bit overcome Keith Pit B 2x
I will never forget the magnitude of standing so close to Keith in Paris
(I was Pit A my only other previous show)
here was the artist I’d studied for decades painting in front of me fortified by France
woo wooo
One love Keith Richards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-10 20:23 by 35love.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 17, 2018 03:40

bv
Please please there is no reason for fighting about these matters. Some fans love this other fans love that. We can't all love the very same thing, then everybody would be on Keith side, or Ronnie side, if you see what I mean.

Some say the Stones are only in it for the money. Well if that was a fact then they would never have played Southampton or Coventry. They would have played Las Vegas, NYC, LA, Chicago all the time, then Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Tokyo and a few more big cities. Certainly not any smaller cities, and certainly not Havana.

Still, the Stones are not a charity programme. They did not donate all their income to stop malaria or to world peace. Neiher did I. Neither did any of us. The Rolling Stones are a rock act, a very successful one, operating in the capital and commercial world, where most people involved try to maximize the income. No big surprise. The T-shirts are 30 or 35 Euro, not 10. The T-shirts at 10 are sold in the streets. The pit is hundreds of dollars or Euro, not 10 pounds like the club show tickets. If you think it is too expensive then do something else, or play their songs from their records.

So naive

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 17, 2018 07:59

potus43
bv
Please please there is no reason for fighting about these matters. Some fans love this other fans love that. We can't all love the very same thing, then everybody would be on Keith side, or Ronnie side, if you see what I mean.

Some say the Stones are only in it for the money. Well if that was a fact then they would never have played Southampton or Coventry. They would have played Las Vegas, NYC, LA, Chicago all the time, then Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Tokyo and a few more big cities. Certainly not any smaller cities, and certainly not Havana.

Still, the Stones are not a charity programme. They did not donate all their income to stop malaria or to world peace. Neiher did I. Neither did any of us. The Rolling Stones are a rock act, a very successful one, operating in the capital and commercial world, where most people involved try to maximize the income. No big surprise. The T-shirts are 30 or 35 Euro, not 10. The T-shirts at 10 are sold in the streets. The pit is hundreds of dollars or Euro, not 10 pounds like the club show tickets. If you think it is too expensive then do something else, or play their songs from their records.

So naive

That my man is the reality now. Acceptance of the world as it is, not how it should be. The above is what’s happening regardless of if it should be or not. And the Shirts in the street were E10. I bought 2 of them. Compare The Stones to a band like Guns N Roses. Their ticket prices are a joke. It’s PROMOTERS, the band just go on stage. Yhe Stonss at least make sure there is lucky dips. Yeah the pit is expensive, but like any bullshit first class thing I’ve attended, I’m paying for the experience. Nobody makes you buy those tickets. Buy a £30 and get on with it.

Live music has evolved from 15 min shows on a bill of 8 being ripped off by some businessman to the multi million industry it is now. The Stones are the prima money making live act going. I’ve never known anyone to not want more money.

Welcome to the machine.

Which is the way he wants it.

So he Gets It.

And I don’t like it anymore than you men.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 17, 2018 09:41

Paddy
potus43
bv

So naive

That my man is the reality now. Acceptance of the world as it is, not how it should be. The above is what’s happening regardless of if it should be or not. And the Shirts in the street were E10. I bought 2 of them. Compare The Stones to a band like Guns N Roses. Their ticket prices are a joke. It’s PROMOTERS, the band just go on stage. Yhe Stonss at least make sure there is lucky dips. Yeah the pit is expensive, but like any bullshit first class thing I’ve attended, I’m paying for the experience. Nobody makes you buy those tickets. Buy a £30 and get on with it.

Live music has evolved from 15 min shows on a bill of 8 being ripped off by some businessman to the multi million industry it is now. The Stones are the prima money making live act going. I’ve never known anyone to not want more money.

Welcome to the machine.

Which is the way he wants it.

So he Gets It.

And I don’t like it anymore than you men.

Yeah. Understand your point and feelings.
But in sense of history for me, growing up with the Stones since GYYO my fandom was in big percentage woven around their shining stardom ever since.
That they are still not only there, but there like this - filling huge stadiums and topping the billboard cross income charts - makes me proud of them.
I am proud of my band - can´t help it but I like it.winking smiley

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 17, 2018 17:49

To say he Stones play small venues because they are so "generous" to their fans is beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 17, 2018 18:10

A note for The Joker: Did you ever get any support for the ticket mess?

Date: August 17, 2018 21:35

potus43
To say he Stones play small venues because they are so "generous" to their fans is beyond ridiculous.

They played in 1989
‘Toad’s Place, a club with a capacity of 700, in New Haven, Connecticut. Tickets were three dollars for the show-
and they played Fonda 2015 for $5.
and all kinda other small venues that you super fans got privy
throughout the years.

Quit your bellyaching

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 17, 2018 21:45

potus43

It's like a billionaire donating a penny to a worthy cause.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 17, 2018 22:05

So playing a small venue is nothing to them? Interesting.

I'll never understand the "everything belongs to the people, everything should be free" contingent. The Stones have been out of my price range for a long time. Put more honestly, I've chosen not to see them since 2002. My choice. I'm happy to get CDs and DVDs. I'm happy for those who go see them. Those are great memories and it's worth it to them or they wouldn't do it.

Not once would I think, they owe the fans to knock down those ticket prices. If you have an ounce of self-respect for yourself and your work in life you pursue what the market will bear. You adjust down when you price yourself out of the market or you decide you have a standard and won't work for less. Either choice is their artistic right.

I'm not sure what some of you do for a living. I'm a contractor. I haven't worked in the state I live in for nearly a decade. I travel because I get the best salary I can that way and my client pays for travel and accommodations. If I wanted to be home every night, I would make less than half of my salary (substantially less than half) because of the job market where I live. Why do I do this? To provide for my family and earn the most money I can with what limited skills I possess. Should my company or clients say, you owe it to us to work for less than the market will bear? That's what some of you ask of the Stones. You get paid what you can in life.

Date: August 17, 2018 23:03

Rocky Dijon
So playing a small venue is nothing to them? Interesting.

I'll never understand the "everything belongs to the people, everything should be free" contingent. The Stones have been out of my price range for a long time. Put more honestly, I've chosen not to see them since 2002. My choice. I'm happy to get CDs and DVDs. I'm happy for those who go see them. Those are great memories and it's worth it to them or they wouldn't do it.

Not once would I think, they owe the fans to knock down those ticket prices. If you have an ounce of self-respect for yourself and your work in life you pursue what the market will bear. You adjust down when you price yourself out of the market or you decide you have a standard and won't work for less. Either choice is their artistic right.

I'm not sure what some of you do for a living. I'm a contractor. I haven't worked in the state I live in for nearly a decade. I travel because I get the best salary I can that way and my client pays for travel and accommodations. If I wanted to be home every night, I would make less than half of my salary (substantially less than half) because of the job market where I live. Why do I do this? To provide for my family and earn the most money I can with what limited skills I possess. Should my company or clients say, you owe it to us to work for less than the market will bear? That's what some of you ask of the Stones. You get paid what you can in life.

*I 1/2 expected you to roll off the top of your head
every small discounted show played between 1989-2015
with that memory of yours.
I figure the Stones money is none of my business.
ETA: their love life’s, yes. Direct deposits in the bank, not so much.
Don’t do that Freud thing you do Rocky Dijon and deduce
sex is more important to me than money.
I like both.

HA HA hope I made you laugh you sounded a little down
xxoo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-17 23:27 by 35love.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 18, 2018 00:56

You're very correct, 35love and my apologies to Hairball. I have a good friend in hospice right now. He's only 50 years old. I've been visiting every day and it wears you down. No excuse for my bad behavior, though.

As for you liking both money and sex, 35love, that makes me happy. I wish you nothing but the best. And the same to Hairball who writes with great passion and humor and didn't deserve to be snapped at.

Date: August 18, 2018 01:06

Rocky Dijon
You're very correct, 35love and my apologies to Hairball. I have a good friend in hospice right now. He's only 50 years old. I've been visiting every day and it wears you down. No excuse for my bad behavior, though.

As for you liking both money and sex, 35love, that makes me happy. I wish you nothing but the best. And the same to Hairball who writes with great passion and humor and didn't deserve to be snapped at.

I’m sorry. You are a good friend, not surprising.
You didn’t snap,
I enjoy your writing very much.

Date: August 18, 2018 01:51

Rocky Dijon
...my apologies to Hairball...who writes with great passion and humor and didn't deserve to be snapped at.

Apologies for what? For you being a level headed poster?
Rant and rave and disagree all you want, never bothers me as you're always civil about it as I've said in the past. thumbs up

Remember - "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle ....
*(and without flipping out )

No apologies necessary Rocky...ever...unless you start turning weird and troll/like stalking me around like an angry little watchdog.eye popping smiley winking smiley

As for the Stones and their "generosity" playing club/theater shows - have to admit I've been the lucky recipient of several of those during the Licks tour, paying between apprx. $75 - $100 per/ticket - can't really complain.
It would be nice though if they did it more often for those who have never had the opportunity, but at this point seems an impossibility as they don't even play any club shows any more - at least not during the No Filter tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-18 01:52 by Hairball.

intensity of stones performance.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 18, 2018 21:39

ive been watching on youtube a lot these past few weeks of the latest tour, particularly gigs from warsaw, berlin, prague and stuttgart and particularly songs such as street fighting man, midnight rambler and paint it black, and ive come to the conclusion the band are playing with an intensity not seen for many years. ive seen many versions of songs over the years on youtube and been to concerts where the guitars are not as intense or micks just going through the motions. The band were on fire in the recent gigs and micks performance was much more energetic than usual,he seemed in complete control too and also ronnie and keith were excellent and looked as if they were really enjoying the experience. i thought some of those performances were better than many more legendary gigs from the 60,s and 70,s. and think how shabby love you live sounds at times despite being a popular album.

would like peoples opinion, especially those that have been to multiple gigs over the years and have experience of being in different parts of the stadium or venue and from those that watch plenty of youtube videos as well.

it could be im wrong ofcourse and its the quality of filming compared to past years which is producing this effect or the position i was in the stadium in warsaw compared to previous gigs where ive been high up in the stands.

hopefully get an interesting debate going.

cheers for any info supplied.

Re: intensity of stones performance.
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 18, 2018 21:52

In a way I agree with you. One things sticks out more than anything else comparing the old with and new tours, they're established now all they have to do is give strong performances of hit songs. At their age and it's considered amazing. They're doing great no doubt but I don't know if I'm willing to say it's better than 1969-1973 for instance. This is a fantastic subject and one that can be debated in great detail I think.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2018 22:04

They've been on such a slow, downward waltz that it's hard to point out a few gigs as being indicators of anything. Maybe with seven straight years of tours under their belt they've finally reached a semblance of what they were. Keith seemed at zero altitude when he returned in 2012 after a long layoff, where he admitted he hadn't been playing much guitar. In the past he could shake off the rust quicker. With his chronic arthritis I'm sure it's been an impediment to his playing getting better. He seems to hit about half the notes he used to, and a short solo is rare now.

They were so great in the past. They had such a better rhythm section. They had menace they were so great. It's hard to compare The Greatest Hits Stones to the former groups. There's a bunch of former NBA players who travel on a circuit and play half court. First to fifty wins. No one is confusing those guys with what they were in their prime. It's nice to see them, and you get an occasional reminder of what they once were. And if you enjoy that, more power to you.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 18, 2018 23:12

In 1973 (Auckland) 1973 they were out of tune and sloppy, Mick was (pretending?) drunk or stoned. I enjoyed seeing them live for the first time, but ...... 2014 was amazing! Tight and professional.... Sorry, later was better for me

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 18, 2018 23:48

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 00:30 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 19, 2018 00:22

buttons67
ive been watching on youtube a lot these past few weeks of the latest tour, particularly gigs from warsaw, berlin, prague and stuttgart and particularly songs such as street fighting man, midnight rambler and paint it black, and ive come to the conclusion the band are playing with an intensity not seen for many years. ive seen many versions of songs over the years on youtube and been to concerts where the guitars are not as intense or micks just going through the motions. The band were on fire in the recent gigs and micks performance was much more energetic than usual,he seemed in complete control too and also ronnie and keith were excellent and looked as if they were really enjoying the experience. i thought some of those performances were better than many more legendary gigs from the 60,s and 70,s. and think how shabby love you live sounds at times despite being a popular album.

would like peoples opinion, especially those that have been to multiple gigs over the years and have experience of being in different parts of the stadium or venue and from those that watch plenty of youtube videos as well.

it could be im wrong ofcourse and its the quality of filming compared to past years which is producing this effect or the position i was in the stadium in warsaw compared to previous gigs where ive been high up in the stands.

hopefully get an interesting debate going.

cheers for any info supplied.
I agree on everything, but I would avoid comparisons with concerts of 40 years ago, not because you do not have to, but because in my opinion it makes little sense whether you think like you or think otherwise.
But I agree, the Rolling Stones are playing as we have not felt them for years, nice to see the guitars on the front line, good to see Ronnie in good condition, Keith lost a bit, but the great Keith remains.
Jagger is a monster of nature and Charlie is a blessing.
The story continues...

Date: August 19, 2018 00:44

Playing setlists made up mostly of songs that date back to 1981 and prior give a fuzzy warm feeling of nostalgia. As far as the performance itself, maybe a step above the last decade, but not as good as the Licks Tour or any tour before that. Intensity? Depends on how you define it I suppose. Keith is pretty much in the background (though there's an occasional spark), while Ronnie, Chuck, and even Darryl have become the leaders - after Mick of course.

Will I see them again? Of course I will as it's tradition, and I always enjoy a bit of nostalgia - especially when hearing and seeing Midnight Rambler and Happy performed.

From Oxford dictionary: Nostalgia

1. A sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.
1.1 Something done or presented in order to evoke feelings of nostalgia

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 13:55

Hairball
Playing setlists made up mostly of songs that date back to 1981 and prior give a fuzzy warm feeling of nostalgia. As far as the performance itself, maybe a step above the last decade, but not as good as the Licks Tour or any tour before that. Intensity? Depends on how you define it I suppose. Keith is pretty much in the background (though there's an occasional spark), while Ronnie, Chuck, and even Darryl have become the leaders - after Mick of course.

Will I see them again? Of course I will as it's tradition, and I always enjoy a bit of nostalgia - especially when hearing and seeing Midnight Rambler and Happy performed.

That’s not an unfair assessment. I think they’re now at their best since the Licks Tour but it would be ludicrously unfair to compare them with 30/40 years ago when they were clearly far more energetic. They’re still well worth seeing and I will continue to do so for a price I’m willing to pay.

The pattern of shorter tours with longer gaps between shows enables them to give it their all on show day with plenty of recovery time afterwards. On the final ABB Leg in Europe in 2007, they were still touring for 3 months at a time with some shows spaced just 2 days apart, which they probably ought not to have been doing by then.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 19, 2018 14:21

Give me a break. Intensity? They are a revival act nowadays. And have been for decades. They play blues rock songs from the late 60's and early 70's for a nostalgic audience.
Nothing wrong with that. But one wonders what kind of intensity Sir Michael feels when he sings Satisfaction for the 922th time? A man that was quoted saying
"I'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction when I'm 45" in an interview in People magazine in 1975.

Date: August 19, 2018 15:44

On the '18 shows all 4 Stones somehow re-discovered some secret voodoo, I think because no matter how cynical and tired I myself am of the late era shows, I have heard and seen specs of magic.
It does puzzle me though, that Jagger can't lay it down. The whole bump. It shows in his performance, it shows in crowd reactions, in reaction of his band mates, and even in sales: it may be time to slow down, and just do the Blues.
I was listening to the complete Ya-yas yesterday, with "Gotta Move" and "Prodigal Son"; how he managed to sit down and just sing for a bit. Or in 72 that for LIV and SV he just stood there and sang. He is so charismatic that it is easily enough.

Date: August 19, 2018 22:16

grzegorz67
Hairball

That’s not an unfair assessment. I think they’re now at their best since the Licks Tour but it would be ludicrously unfair to compare them with 30/40 years ago when they were clearly far more energetic. They’re still well worth seeing and I will continue to do so for a price I’m willing to pay.

The pattern of shorter tours with longer gaps between shows enables them to give it their all on show day with plenty of recovery time afterwards. On the final ABB Leg in Europe in 2007, they were still touring for 3 months at a time with some shows spaced just 2 days apart, which they probably ought not to have been doing by then.

thumbs up

The last real "intensity" I saw at a Stones show was during the 50 and Counting Tour when Mick Taylor was on stage - everything after that has been average at best.
San Diego '15 opening show was OK, Desert Trip 1 was mediocre, Desert Trip 2 was a step above, while for *Vegas '16 it's unfair to even count as Mick was still very sick and couldn't give his all.

But as has been said by others, a big part of the experience of seeing the Stones is the camaraderie of fellow fans, the pre-show meet-ups, the travel, etc. as well as the nostalgia of seeing them playing songs that are mostly decades old. When you consider all that, count me in.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 19, 2018 22:52

Yeah, definitely Mick Taylor picked it up a notch. His presence on Midnight Rambler by itself was amazing. Happily Ronnie has been able to help fill the void since but it's not the same though. All in all I would say if they're truly a nostalgic act they're a damn good one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091Next
Current Page: 90 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home