Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 91
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 1, 2018 00:59

Monsoon Ragoon
MisterDDDD
Seems a lot are desperate to see them fail.

Since the rumored UK/Ireland tour was announced, all concerned were aware it would likely be a tougher sell than normal with that many seats to fill in such a relatively small geographic. Dublin with the various factors already discussed even more so.

This may finally be the tour where the doubters/fence sitters may be right for a couple of venues.
File under "even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Makes very little difference to me on a stadium tour, where my motto has always been.. "doesn't matter how many fans are behind me".

Little early still for them to be dancing in the end zone though as we've seen for decades now.

But the problem is there will never be another European Tour if sales are as bad as eleven years ago.

In that case, theres no one else to blame but themselves.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: May 1, 2018 01:02

Hairball
PaintMonkeyManBlack
it just does not make sense to have a very small warm up band in the worst selling gig. i just cannot seem to find any logic.

True - never heard of them, but they look like some type of boy band...anybody know anything about them?

Don't think the Academics will help to sell many tickets, I've never heard of them before now.
Looking at the pic ...well once they have done there bit on the 17th they will need to get to bed early, as they will have school in the morning...bless them

But I suppose it's good a young band gets the chance to play to a large crowd,
Well Mabey a large crowd ....lol

If ticket sales are slow, I can't understand why they didn't put a bigger named support act on....mind boggling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-01 01:52 by terry.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 1, 2018 04:22

Hairball
Bringing back Mick Taylor would help sell a few more tickets no doubt. Might not fill the void entirely, but definitely a few more than bands like The Academic.

Bring back Mick Taylor and I'll buy a plane ticket from Canada...

Posted by: chpoutre ()
Date: May 1, 2018 10:17

Hi all,
Three weeks to go for the London shows, and still didn’t receive my tickets.
Same to you all? Anyone knows when they will be sent out?
Thanks!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 1, 2018 11:34

chpoutre
Hi all,
Thanks!

I am still waiting for London II, Edinburgh, Manchester, Twickenham.
Received London I pretty quick though.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 1, 2018 12:30

BowieStone
chpoutre
Hi all,
Thanks!

Waiting for coventry, Edinburgh and Cardiff.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 1, 2018 13:07

Hairball
Bringing back Mick Taylor would help sell a few more tickets no doubt.

sure, but it won't solve the problem. You can't fill stadiums with die hard fans. And most of those casual fans might ask "Mick who?"

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 1, 2018 13:20

Monsoon Ragoon
But the problem is there will never be another European Tour if sales are as bad as eleven years ago.

LOL! How many more European tours do you think are in this band? It's not that they can't or wouldn't it's that the odds against it grow longer which each passing year.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 1, 2018 13:25

Hairball
When Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Take That, Garth Brooks, and U2 can sell out a stadium, while the Stones can't - there's something wrong with the picture.

It's simply demographics, supply and demand. No one stays on top forever. No one.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 1, 2018 13:39

StonedInTokyo
Monsoon Ragoon

LOL! How many more European tours do you think are in this band? It's not that they can't or wouldn't it's that the odds against it grow longer which each passing year.

One. Exactly one. 2021 or 2022. I don't think there will be concerts after Jagger's 80th birthday. (A 82 year old man singing about cocks and bitches is a bit far-fetched.)
2019 North America, 2020 Australia/Asia. If they stay healthy of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-01 14:06 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: May 1, 2018 13:43

StonedInTokyo
Hairball
When Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Take That, Garth Brooks, and U2 can sell out a stadium, while the Stones can't - there's something wrong with the picture.

It's simply demographics, supply and demand. No one stays on top forever. No one.

it's rather supply and demand, not demographics – the Stones-generation, i.e. the baby boomers, is (still) much bigger than the Taylor Swift etc-generation.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 1, 2018 14:43

Monsoon Ragoon
(A 82 year old man singing about cocks and bitches is a bit far-fetched.)

I dunno, Chuck Berry sang about his Ding-a-ling through his late 80s, so singing about weanies, bitches and hos is entirely possible!

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 1, 2018 14:52

FrogSugar
Monsoon Ragoon
(A 82 year old man singing about cocks and bitches is a bit far-fetched.)

I dunno, Chuck Berry sang about his Ding-a-ling through his late 80s, so singing about weanies, bitches and hos is entirely possible!

I'm almost sure Jagger would be able to do some Stones shows in 2025, but I'm not so sure about the other members. And: who's gonna buy tickets for $400-1.300, because they can do only one show every 5-7 days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-01 14:57 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: vlaci66 ()
Date: May 1, 2018 15:18

"E-Tickets will be sent out no later than 3-days prior to the event and in line with the wishes of the event organisers"

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 1, 2018 15:56

Gazza has mentioned various, serious reasons, why the function of "unheard" (in Ireland) ticket prices and timing / circumstances made Dublin gig "tough game". In addition, Ireland seems to be a strange market, at least for the Stones, throughout... If memory helps, the Stones cancelled a gig in 1990 there, due to poor ticket sales. I think they only had big problems in two countries, on Urban Jungle tour. Italy and Ireland. Italy case was explainable: Foot Ball World Cup Tournament. But Ireland?

Well, maybe UK market is more than saturated with 8 expensive gigs. Maybe not. We'll see. But I realize that the Stones is one of the very few, if not the only one, biggest live acts in the planet which are encircled by such a "drama", when they sell 85- 90% of the tickets available, instead of 100%... (BTW, 86% was the percentage of the really problematic - for well known reasons and conditions - European leg in 2006). Yes, “drama”, even when their plans seem to be very ambitious, if not dicey (for example doing 8 stadium gigs in a relatively limited area, by these prices).

But, folks, take a look at official statistics, as for touring…

You’ ll see “queens of pop” like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, or Beyonce, often failing to fill arenas, not stadiums.

You’ll see one of the most famous rock bands, Metallica, having big amounts of unsold tickets on the current (2016 – 2019) tour, despite the fact that the tour follows a commercially successful, absolutely successful, album (“Hardwired... to Self-Destruct”). You can see Metallica playing to 47,875 people in a 56,082 capacity stadium (Seattle), to 39,961 people in a 53,263 capacity stadium (Orlando) and, also, that they failed to sell out venues holding 34,000 (Montreal) and 29,000 (Bogota).

On the current Billboard’s Boxcsore, #1 is Arcade Fire (gross almost $ 2.4 million), with three concerts at SSE Arena, London. No one was sell out.

And suffice it to say, acts from Stones generation need many months or even years of touring activity to attract as many people, as the Stones are drawing on every “14 gigs” round.

That’s the reality, friends. Tough times… And we can be sceptical or even critical when the Stones make the situation... tougher for them, but, hey, they remain one of the most popular live acts, worldwide. After so many decades. Why? Anyone can give the answer(s) that thinks is (are) the right…

The upcoming tour is one of the last chances (maybe the last one) to enjoy, once again, our favourite band. If some of you feel to be done with the Stones, fine. But I don’t. And personally I don’t intend to spend my time, complaining about set lists or about the possibility to see some venues, not 100%, but 85- 90% filled.

And, please, stop saying “bring back Mick Taylor to increase the sales”. Let’s face it, Taylor does mean very little for the general audiences. Mick Taylor is taken by obscurity since 1974. Taylor must be really grateful of the fact that the Stones gave him the opportunity to perform in front of huge audiences.

In addition, it’s somehow funny to me seeing people who call the Stones “nostalgia act” and at the same time they say “bring back Mick Taylor”…

Yes, Academics, why not? Who knows, perhaps Academics will be something like “new Ed Seeran” in a few years. And, who knows, perhaps Ed Seeran will be forgotten in 10 -15 years from now, like many artists/bands that “did overshadow” the Stones at some point in the past. Or maybe he is going to be new Elvis… Who really knows?

PS Apologize for my gossip…

Date: May 1, 2018 16:00

"Taylor must be really grateful of the fact that the Stones gave him the opportunity to perform in front of huge audiences".

I mean recently, in 2013, 2014...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 1, 2018 16:09

laertisflash

Well, maybe UK market is more than saturated with 8 expensive gigs. Maybe not. We'll see. But I realize that the Stones is one of the very few, if not the only one, biggest live acts in the planet which are encircled by such a "drama", when they sell 85- 90% of the tickets available, instead of 100%... (BTW, 86% was the percentage of the really problematic - for well known reasons and conditions - European leg in 2006). Yes, “drama”, even when their plans seem to be very ambitious, if not dicey (for example doing 8 stadium gigs in a relatively limited area, by these prices).

But, folks, take a look at official statistics, as for touring…

You’ ll see “queens of pop” like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, or Beyonce, often failing to fill arenas, not stadiums.

You’ll see one of the most famous rock bands, Metallica, having big amounts of unsold tickets on the current (2016 – 2019) tour, despite the fact that the tour follows a commercially successful, absolutely successful, album (“Hardwired... to Self-Destruct”). You can see Metallica playing to 47,875 people in a 56,082 capacity stadium (Seattle), to 39,961 people in a 53,263 capacity stadium (Orlando) and, also, that they failed to sell out venues holding 34,000 (Montreal) and 29,000 (Bogota).

On the current Billboard’s Boxcsore, #1 is Arcade Fire (gross almost $ 2.4 million), with three concerts at SSE Arena, London. No one was sell out.

And suffice it to say, acts from Stones generation need many months or even years of touring activity to attract as many people, as the Stones are drawing on every “14 gigs” round.

That’s the reality, friends. Tough times… And we can be sceptical or even critical when the Stones make the situation... tougher for them, but, hey, they remain one of the most popular live acts, worldwide. After so many decades. Why? Anyone can give the answer(s) that thinks is (are) the right…

The upcoming tour is one of the last chances (maybe the last one) to enjoy, once again, our favourite band. If some of you feel to be done with the Stones, fine. But I don’t. And personally I don’t intend to spend my time, complaining about set lists or about the possibility to see some venues, not 100%, but 85- 90% filled.

And, please, stop saying “bring back Mick Taylor to increase the sales”. Let’s face it, Taylor does mean very little for the general audiences. Mick Taylor is taken by obscurity since 1974. Taylor must be really grateful of the fact that the Stones gave him the opportunity to perform in front of huge audiences.

In addition, it’s somehow funny to me seeing people who call the Stones “nostalgia act” and at the same time they say “bring back Mick Taylor”…

Yes, Academics, why not? Who knows, perhaps Academics will be something like “new Ed Seeran” in a few years. And, who knows, perhaps Ed Seeran will be forgotten in 10 -15 years from now, like many artists/bands that “did overshadow” the Stones at some point in the past. Or maybe he is going to be new Elvis… Who really knows?

PS Apologize for my gossip…

No apologies needed, laertisflash.
All very well stated and spot on.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 1, 2018 16:10

If a show is SOLD OUT in today's climate then the secondary ticket market profits mightily. The promoters and ticket sellers DO NOT WANT THAT.

The ticket seller's strategy and primary object today is to MAXIMIZE PROFITS while NOT selling out until the very last minute, if at all.

Don't sweat it.
Go have fun.

Date: May 1, 2018 16:45

Thanks MisterDDDD...

I think Kurt is right as for the modern selling tactics. That's why I believe that, if there are real problems somewhere (let's suppose Dublin),they finally are less big than what many folks do think, here. That's my opinion. Or my insight. Or my conclusion after the whole "they're facing half empty arenas..." discussion, before 2013 tour's start. Which has been denied, of course.

It's not only ticket seller's strategy, I think. It's also the other side of the coin: Amounts of people knowing the "secrets" of the modern strategy are much bigger now. So there are many more people who feel comfortable to wait, before they sell tickets.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 1, 2018 17:05

vlaci66
"E-Tickets will be sent out no later than 3-days prior to the event and in line with the wishes of the event organisers"
For which shows? Got mine for Dublin a few weeks ago.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: May 1, 2018 17:07

odean73
BowieStone
chpoutre
Hi all,
Thanks!

Waiting for coventry, Edinburgh and Cardiff.
Waiting for London II

Date: May 1, 2018 17:17

Kurt
If a show is SOLD OUT in today's climate then the secondary ticket market profits mightily. The promoters and ticket sellers DO NOT WANT THAT.

The ticket seller's strategy and primary object today is to MAXIMIZE PROFITS while NOT selling out until the very last minute, if at all.

don't forget that a lot of those secondary ticket market platforms are owned or operated by primary tickets sellers like TM, eventim etc.

Date: May 1, 2018 17:59

Hairball
Bringing back Mick Taylor would help sell a few more tickets no doubt. .

Fans who know who Mick Taylor is have probably already made their minds up on whether to buy tickets or not.

The sort of people they're trying to persuade to part with £150-250 at this stage wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Mick Taylor, Dennis Taylor or Lawrence Taylor. Half of them would probably struggle to recognise Charlie Watts if he walked past them in the street.

Date: May 1, 2018 18:08

laertisflash
Gazza has mentioned various, serious reasons, why the function of "unheard" (in Ireland) ticket prices and timing / circumstances made Dublin gig "tough game". In addition, Ireland seems to be a strange market, at least for the Stones, throughout... If memory helps, the Stones cancelled a gig in 1990 there, due to poor ticket sales. I think they only had big problems in two countries, on Urban Jungle tour. Italy and Ireland. Italy case was explainable: Foot Ball World Cup Tournament. But Ireland?

The Republic of Ireland had qualified for that World Cup for the first time. It was evidently a big deal. It wasn't just the Stones, by the way. Lots of other major shows got pulled that summer (Prince being another) because they weren't selling. And the Stones gig was scheduled for AFTER the tournament was over! It was bizarre.

I actually think sales would probably have picked up in the end, but it wasn't the last time that the Stones pulled the plug on a gig where early sales weren't as fast as they would have anticipated (Athens 2007, Honolulu 2006 etc)

Agree with a lot of the rest of your post, actually. Selling about 80-85% of the tickets for a stadium isn't really that bad at all. Stones fans seem a bit over-obsessed with the apparent 'humiliation' of their favourite band not selling out venues. But its not an uncommon phenomenon.

If youre a promoter and you have the choice to put on an act for one night only in an area where, say, you reckon you can sell 35,000 tickets and the only two venues available are an arena that holds 15,000 and a stadium that holds 50,000 then its really a no-brainer.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 1, 2018 18:17

Gazza
The sort of people they're trying to persuade to part with £150-250 at this stage wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Mick Taylor, Dennis Taylor or Lawrence Taylor.

"Fu*k Dennis Taylor!" - Brad Hamilton

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2018 18:20

slewan
Hairball
Bringing back Mick Taylor would help sell a few more tickets no doubt.

sure, but it won't solve the problem. You can't fill stadiums with die hard fans. And most of those casual fans might ask "Mick who?"

And the second part of my post that you edited out for some reason agrees with that:

"Might not fill the void entirely, but definitely a few more than bands like The Academic".

And I have a very strong hunch that there are way more casual fans who know the name Mick Taylor over the Academic!

Date: May 1, 2018 18:46

laertisflash

Since it's already 95% nostalgia (see setlists), might as well make it 100% - at this point it can't hurt!

Gazza
Fans who know who Mick Taylor is have probably already made their minds up on whether to buy tickets or not.

The sort of people they're trying to persuade to part with £150-250 at this stage wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Mick Taylor, Dennis Taylor or Lawrence Taylor. Half of them would probably struggle to recognise Charlie Watts if he walked past them in the street.

Perhaps, but there are some who would be willing to go who have been sitting on the fence - even in this very thread ThePaleRider posted above that he would fly all the way from Canada!
I know if I was somewhere near the UK and it was suddenly announced that Mick Taylor would return, I would jump on the nearest plane, train, or automobile to see if I could get a cheap ticket!

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: May 1, 2018 18:57

I would jump on a plane from California if Bill Wyman was going to appear. I have never seen him. But of course the chances of him appearing are next to zero.

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: May 1, 2018 19:03

OK, let's say zero!

Date: May 1, 2018 19:18

In addition to the Mick Taylor factor, if it was announced that 95% of the setlist would be songs that have never or rarely been played live, many would decide to go!
Might not please most of the casual fans, but most diehards would be ready and willing. As it stands though, it's the nostalgia factor that sells tickets - how else can the stagnant setlists be explained?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home