Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 91
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 24, 2018 11:48

Monsoon Ragoon
maumau
syrel
DREAMTIME

MSG 1972 $10 TICKET AND NO SUCH THING AS A SCALPER

Yet still many complaints about rip-off ticket prices

there are apps around on the internet that helps to calculate and confront currencies and cost of goods through the years. I played one with the old italian currency in 1972. it came out that, aproximately, a 10 dollars ticket would have been a 110000 Lire ticket in Italy in 1972 (exchange at the time was 1$ = 11000 Lire ca), that would be almost 2/3 of an average salary at the time (154000 lire ca). In 2017 the average salary in Italy was 1560 € so the comparison is quite direct: in Italy a 10 dollar ticket in 1972 would translate in a 1100 € ticket now.

That's absurd nonsense.

That's arithmetic
and the way the world and economy was 50 years ago when the cost of life between Italy and Usa was THAT different

Of course in Italy in 1972 an average concert ticket would not cost the equivalent of 10 us dollars. For example a ticket to see the Beatles in Italy in 1965 costed between 750 Lire and 3000 (an LP costed 1800 at the time)

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 24, 2018 12:46

maumau
Monsoon Ragoon
maumau
syrel
DREAMTIME

there are apps around on the internet that helps to calculate and confront currencies and cost of goods through the years. I played one with the old italian currency in 1972. it came out that, aproximately, a 10 dollars ticket would have been a 110000 Lire ticket in Italy in 1972 (exchange at the time was 1$ = 11000 Lire ca), that would be almost 2/3 of an average salary at the time (154000 lire ca). In 2017 the average salary in Italy was 1560 € so the comparison is quite direct: in Italy a 10 dollar ticket in 1972 would translate in a 1100 € ticket now.

That's absurd nonsense.

That's arithmetic
and the way the world and economy was 50 years ago when the cost of life between Italy and Usa was THAT different

Of course in Italy in 1972 an average concert ticket would not cost the equivalent of 10 us dollars. For example a ticket to see the Beatles in Italy in 1965 costed between 750 Lire and 3000 (an LP costed 1800 at the time)

The price for a Stones ticket in the early 70's was maybe something like 80 Euro today, but for sure not 1100 Euro. Something with your arithmetic must be wrong.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 24, 2018 13:39

a question for those who already received pit tickets: Are they really marked as pit A and/or pit B

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: March 24, 2018 16:02

slewan
a question for those who already received pit tickets: Are they really marked as pit A and/or pit B

Yes they are

Posted by: Cheltie ()
Date: March 24, 2018 17:29

Yes my Stuttgart tickets are marked as well

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: March 24, 2018 17:37

Hi everybody....I'm little bit worried about the possibility that some gigs will be cancelled since it's seems that just few tickets have been sell...it's strange that there's no sold out yet...what do you think? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 24, 2018 17:53

Those venues will be full when the Stones hit the stage.

Nate

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 24, 2018 19:03

Monsoon Ragoon
maumau
Monsoon Ragoon
maumau
syrel
DREAMTIME

That's absurd nonsense.

That's arithmetic

The price for a Stones ticket in the early 70's was maybe something like 80 Euro today, but for sure not 1100 Euro. Something with your arithmetic must be wrong.

I work it out that a $10 ticket in 1972 would cost $60 today, based on inflation alone.

However, in the UK a £10 ticket in 1972 would be cost £128 today, based on the CPI. (http://www.in2013dollars.com/1972-GBP-in-2018?amount=10) That said, Stones tickets were probably not £10 in the UK in 1972?

I recognise that other factors come into play too and the biggest factor by far is that records don't sell big any more so bands have to charge more for tickets to earn their fortunes. In addition, I think that peoples' disposable income is higher now than it was then. (Especially for many baby boomers)

Date: March 24, 2018 19:19

sjs12
Monsoon Ragoon
maumau
Monsoon Ragoon
maumau
syrel
DREAMTIME

That's absurd nonsense.

That's arithmetic

I work it out that a $10 ticket in 1972 would cost $60 today, based on inflation alone.

However, in the UK a £10 ticket in 1972 would be cost £128 today, based on the CPI. (http://www.in2013dollars.com/1972-GBP-in-2018?amount=10) That said, Stones tickets were probably not £10 in the UK in 1972?

I recognise that other factors come into play too and the biggest factor by far is that records don't sell big any more so bands have to charge more for tickets to earn their fortunes. In addition, I think that peoples' disposable income is higher now than it was then. (Especially for many baby boomers)

UK tickets in 1973 shown on nzentgraf.de were only 1,10£ or 2,20£. That sounds like a joke nowadays.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 25, 2018 09:37

I really hope that Mick is not involved in this wedding.It was bad enough accepting the Knighthood,but this would be a new low.I bet Keef is having a chuckle about it.
If Mick does the wedding gig lets hope he does appropriate tracks,Star star and Under my thumb should hit the spot.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 25, 2018 10:03

Monsoon Ragoon

UK tickets in 1973 shown on nzentgraf.de were only 1,10£ or 2,20£. That sounds like a joke nowadays.

No more of a joke than the average house price being about £9,000.

OK I'm being silly now, though the whole debate is a little silly, but in 1971 the average UK house price was £5632 and in 2018 (well, Aug 2017) it is £225,956. A Stones ticket (London Roundhouse) was £1 and, in 2018 let's say £90 (GA) and £450 (top price).

1971 - ticket is 0.0002% of average house price
2018 - GA ticket is 0.0004% of average house price; Pit is 0.002%.

So GA has 'doubled' by that measure, top price (assuming all tickets £1 in 1971) is 10x larger.

As I said, I know this is silly, just got interested...

syrel

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 26, 2018 15:19

It's very silly but I remember exactly paying £6 for a £3 face value ticket for Leicester in 1976. Seems like a bargain

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 26, 2018 16:45

hilary
Hi everybody....I'm little bit worried about the possibility that some gigs will be cancelled since it's seems that just few tickets have been sell...it's strange that there's no sold out yet...what do you think? eye rolling smiley
Just got update of availability for Manchester. 12 different sections of which only 2 are sold out.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: March 26, 2018 18:09

$50 tickets will be available outside every show

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: March 26, 2018 18:20

20 euro outside Spielberg concert...It was the getting there that was difficult....Great show though

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: March 26, 2018 20:51

My first stones show was in 1978 at the Oakland Colosseum. face value was $12.50. in 2018 dollar that's ~$75.
[images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 27, 2018 02:59

same old sleepy sets...and no new music i will pass.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 27, 2018 07:54

backstreetboy1

Could these be the reasons for lackluster ticket sales?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-27 07:55 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2018 08:35

3DTeafoe
backstreetboy1

Add in the overpriced tickets and it's a recipe for disaster, though there's still time for ticket drops at discounted prices to fill the void.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 27, 2018 10:33

I would not call "sleepy" set lists witch are mainly consisted of some greatest rock anthems. Honestly, I don't see people unhappy or "sleepy" around me, when the Stones are playing "Paint It Black", "Midnight Rambler" and "Jumpin Jack Flash".

As for ticket sales, once again: Their “modern” selling policy doesn’t foster fast sales, especially when and where the demand is distributed among many gigs, as it happens now in UK. But this policy (maybe an annoying one) comes to bigger grosses/profits, even if they have to drop drastically some prices a few weeks, days or hours before the gigs. You see, only doing 14 shows the Stones are among three, six, ore nine top grossing tours every year!... And the venues are packed. So, this policy is absolutely effective, even we don't like it.

So, folks, I have a question: IF the Stones play at filled stadiums again, as they did in the last three years/tours, will this talk about upcoming "disasters" be finished ONCE AND FOR ALL ?? What do you think?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 27, 2018 12:22

laertisflash
I would not call "sleepy" set lists witch are mainly consisted of some greatest rock anthems. Honestly, I don't see people unhappy or "sleepy" around me, when the Stones are playing "Paint It Black", "Midnight Rambler" and "Jumpin Jack Flash".

As for ticket sales, once again: Their “modern” selling policy doesn’t foster fast sales, especially when and where the demand is distributed among many gigs, as it happens now in UK. But this policy (maybe an annoying one) comes to bigger grosses/profits, even if they have to drop drastically some prices a few weeks, days or hours before the gigs. You see, only doing 14 shows the Stones are among three, six, ore nine top grossing tours every year!... And the venues are packed. So, this policy is absolutely effective, even we don't like it.

So, folks, I have a question: IF the Stones play at filled stadiums again, as they did in the last three years/tours, will this talk about upcoming "disasters" be finished ONCE AND FOR ALL ?? What do you think?

I think the real problem ist that there are so many cheap tickets available for the UK shows. This was never the case in the last years. All GA tickets (except for Spielberg) were gone in a few minutes or days. I can't remember any concert where you could nearly every category 4 weeks after they went on sale.

Of course you can talk about how many tickets are left easier when there is something like the German Saalplanbuchung. But you can see there that many tickets were sold in the first days and since then it seems like they are selling 5 tickets a day. And more and more new sections do even appear. But if you want 2 tickets which are seated together you have to pay around 240€ for Berlin and for Stuttgart. That's not the case for the UK. You could go to every concert for around 100 Pounds.

That is the main difference to last year and 2014. They sold most tickets on the first day then but not this year. And I think they won't sell all this year. They can't reduce the prices.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 27, 2018 12:46

Hairball
3DTeafoe
backstreetboy1

Add in the overpriced tickets and it's a recipe for disaster, though there's still time for ticket drops at discounted prices to fill the void.

i don't think it's the setlists since most ordinary people / casual fans don't care too much about the setlist or don't even know that the Stones don't change their setlists. Ticket prices matter much more to them

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 27, 2018 15:23

DREAMTIME

Who told you this?

And, between Dublin, Marseille and Warsaw there is not even such currency.

Date: March 27, 2018 16:58

DREAMTIME

Yeah I think so. At least in places like Germany or Prague where the ticket sales are slow because prices are too high and/or two many shows for these prices. In 2003 you could get tickets for 15 Euro in Berlin just before show time. I wouldn't be surprised about non-sellouts in England/Wales as well. There's no real demand for seven big shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-27 17:09 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2018 18:39

slewan
Hairball
3DTeafoe
backstreetboy1

i don't think it's the setlists since most ordinary people / casual fans don't care too much about the setlist or don't even know that the Stones don't change their setlists. Ticket prices matter much more to them

Definitely the biggest deterrent is the overpriced tickets.
There's only so many diehards who are willing to spend and arm and a leg to see the Stones, while most everyone else will weigh the options of various bands/prices and more than likely opt to go the less expensive route.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 27, 2018 20:33

hilary

It's an interesting question.

Isn't it the promoters that take the hit financially if tickets don't sell and the Stones get paid regardless?

I wonder if there's a minimum crowd that the Stones are obligated to perform in front of, and how this can be prepared for if, as is stated above, tickets are still being sold in the final hours before a show. If 15,000 fans turn up at St Mary's stadium, does the show go ahead?

Date: March 27, 2018 21:17

Olly
hilary

It's an interesting question.

Isn't it the promoters that take the hit financially if tickets don't sell and the Stones get paid regardless?

I wonder if there's a minimum crowd that the Stones are obligated to perform in front of, and how this can be prepared for if, as is stated above, tickets are still being sold in the final hours before a show. If 15,000 fans turn up at St Mary's stadium, does the show go ahead?

I know that by the time of cancellation only ca. 18.000 tickets for Leipzig 2006 had been sold (of 45.000 or so). Similar situation in Nuremberg. I don't know if they had played the 50 % filled stadiums if the tour would had run as planned. They might play if at least 50 % are sold. I've seen several shows that were 60-70 % filled. If 30 % is sold four weeks before the show the show would be cancelled probably. But that doesn't happen very often.

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: March 27, 2018 21:45

If overpriced tickets are the reason, Lucky Dippers will be happy smiling smiley as long as the show is on!

Sue in Spain

My coat is torn and frayed, it's seen much better days, but as long as the guitar plays ....

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 27, 2018 22:20

Monsoon Ragoon

I know that by the time of cancellation only ca. 18.000 tickets for Leipzig 2006 had been sold (of 45.000 or so). Similar situation in Nuremberg. I don't know if they had played the 50 % filled stadiums if the tour would had run as planned. They might play if at least 50 % are sold. I've seen several shows that were 60-70 % filled. If 30 % is sold four weeks before the show the show would be cancelled probably. But that doesn't happen very often.

Interesting... out of curiosity, which shows were 60 - 70% capacity?

Date: March 27, 2018 22:35

Olly
Monsoon Ragoon

Interesting... out of curiosity, which shows were 60 - 70% capacity?

Berlin 06, Munich 06, Vienna 06, Cologne 99, Brno 07. And many more I didn't attend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-27 22:36 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home