Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 91
Re: Southampton and Coventry England Stones shows to be announced soon
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:10

The local paper has the story.

One of the biggest bands on the planet are touring this year - and they're coming to Coventry.

The Rolling Stones will play the Ricoh Arena this summer.

It's a massive coup for the stadium and the city in what has already been a stellar year for announcements.

The rockers will perform on home turf in May and June for two concerts in London as well as gigs in Manchester, Edinburgh, and Cardiff.

They will also make stops in Dublin, Berlin, Marseille, Stuttgart, Prague and Warsaw.

The second part of the Stones - No Filter tour will see fans treated to hits such as Paint It Black and Brown Sugar and each night they will include a couple of unexpected tracks and randomly selected surprises.

Frontman Mick Jagger, 74, said: "This part of the No Filter tour is really special for the Stones.

"We are looking forward to getting back onstage in the summer and playing to fans in the UK and Ireland.

"It's always exhilarating going to cities we haven't played for quite a while and also some new venues."

Tour tickets are available here.

[www.coventrytelegraph.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 16:12 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:47

grzegorz67
On practicalities, where's the best place to park for this? I thought on Coventry City Centre then getting a local train out to the Ricoh or are there better options?

The arena parking at the Ricoh is expensive, but there is a retail park next door with extensive parking. This is usually limited to 2 hours on show/match days BUT extended if you spend a minimum £50. A bargain if you buy stuff you need anyway (there's a Tesco and an M&S).

[www.arenashopping.com]

The trains only run once an hour from Coventry Central to the Ricoh Arena but are handy if you time it right. They haven't put on any extra trains when I've been, but they do shuttle buses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 16:52 by nobodyimportant.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:03

nobodyimportant
grzegorz67
On practicalities, where's the best place to park for this? I thought on Coventry City Centre then getting a local train out to the Ricoh or are there better options?

The arena parking at the Ricoh is expensive, but there is a retail park next door with extensive parking. This is usually limited to 2 hours on show/match days BUT extended if you spend a minimum £50. A bargain if you buy stuff you need anyway (there's a Tesco and an M&S).

[www.arenashopping.com]

The trains only run once an hour from Coventry Central to the Ricoh Arena but are handy if you time it right. They haven't put on any extra trains when I've been, but they do shuttle buses.

That's very helpful. Thank you very much. My present plan is to park at a City Centre Multi Storey e.g. the Railway station and get a train or shuttle bus. I live near Swindon.

Date: March 9, 2018 17:24

If I was driving there and back with no hotel involved, I'd just go to the retail park. It's much more convenient and you'd be paying for parking in the city centre plus train/bus fares so deduct that from the 50 quid. They've doubled the required minimum spend since I last went, but it's still free parking really if you plan what to buy. Check out the available shops and see if there's anything you need. Wine, beer or spirits? Clothing?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:30

mikehat

Can anyone tell me the situation with getting pre-sale tickets for this tour?

Just look and Sign-up here: [www.RollingStones.com] .

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:58

Wow, how many tickets are going to be for sale within 300-500 miles of London?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:59

Send It To me

Not enough, as far as I'm concerned! smiling smiley

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: March 9, 2018 18:17

Irix
mikehat

Can anyone tell me the situation with getting pre-sale tickets for this tour?

Just look and Sign-up here: [www.RollingStones.com] .

Done. Many thanks!

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 9, 2018 18:27

Send It To me

300-500 miles is pretty much half of the width and half of the length of the country. Normal people don't travel that far to shows. Virtually no one from Southampton/Portsmouth/Bournemouth would have travelled to London to see the Stones, and hardly anyone from Birmingham or Coventry would have travelled to Manchester. Both of these shows open up new markets which would not have been reached otherwise.

syrel

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 9, 2018 19:20

syrel
Send It To me

300-500 miles is pretty much half of the width and half of the length of the country. Normal people don't travel that far to shows. Virtually no one from Southampton/Portsmouth/Bournemouth would have travelled to London to see the Stones, and hardly anyone from Birmingham or Coventry would have travelled to Manchester. Both of these shows open up new markets which would not have been reached otherwise.

syrel

Interesting. Different than America I think? I doubt you'd see multiple stadium shows in Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, Fresno, etc. all bunched together.

Date: March 9, 2018 19:31

Send It To me
syrel
Send It To me

syrel

Interesting. Different than America I think? I doubt you'd see multiple stadium shows in Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, Fresno, etc. all bunched together.

I didn't want to assume anything about the nationality of posters, but I think many non-Brits don't recognise how concentrated England is and the effect that has on the inhabitants' mentality about travelling. There are so many cities in such a tight space, and our geographic parameters are structured by those cities rather than simple distance. There are major cities just 50-100 miles apart, and many people often don't travel away from those cities much.

There are cities that are close enough that you can 'pair them up' because people would travel (begrudgingly!) from one to the other to see a major show (Liverpool/Manchester, Leeds/Sheffield, Bristol/Cardiff, Glasgow/Edinburgh), but beyond that, not so much. Manchester and Birmingham (2nd and 3rd biggest cities in the UK) are about 90 miles apart but are entirely different places. Definitely much too far to travel for the average punter.

syrel

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 9, 2018 19:41

Send It To me

Bigger Bang- Not all stadiums, but close..
All within 500 miles, including Vegas.

4 November 2005 -Anaheim Angel Stadium of Anaheim
6 November 2005 -Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl
8 November 2005 _Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl
11 November 2005 -San Diego Petco Park
13 November 2005 -San Francisco SBC Park
15 November 2005 -San Francisco SBC Park
18 November 2005 -Las Vegas MGM Grand Garden Arena
20 November 2005- Fresno Save Mart Center

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 9, 2018 20:17

syrel

I didn't want to assume anything about the nationality of posters, but I think many non-Brits don't recognise how concentrated England is and the effect that has on the inhabitants' mentality about travelling.

syrel

+1. And driving between towns in England takes forever (my experience), with pesky roundabouts, tiny country roads and highways that aren't that much bigger. It's just not the same in America, for better or worse, where people don't think twice about driving interstate or cross-country.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 9, 2018 20:30

DeanGoodman
syrel

I didn't want to assume anything about the nationality of posters, but I think many non-Brits don't recognise how concentrated England is and the effect that has on the inhabitants' mentality about travelling.

syrel

+1. And driving between towns in England takes forever (my experience), with pesky roundabouts, tiny country roads and highways that aren't that much bigger. It's just not the same in America, for better or worse, where people don't think twice about driving interstate or cross-country.

That (tiny country roads) sounds like New Zealand to me Dean.... you've been living in LA too long.

from the centre of London to St Mary's - 4 roundabouts in London, 1 on the outskirts of Southampton and 2 in Southampton. Otherwise mostly 3 lane highway.

from Southampton to Coventry stadium - the same 3 roundabouts in Southampton and 2 in Coventry (one at the stadium entrance).

from Ricoh Stadium to Old Trafford - same 2 roundabouts in Coventry and 2 in Manchester (actually Salford)

As a Brit who has seen the Stones in 16 countries on 4 continents and travelled to 33 US states (7 for Stones gigs) I find the "mentality about travelling" hilarious. Really made my evening!!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 20:31

Fantastic news! St Mary's stadium is just down the road from me so will be easy to get to. I am really chuffed.

Happy to give anyone some suggestions about local stuff to do...

I suggest the Platform Tavern as a good venue for pre-gig drinks (great pub with great beer and food and live blues music most nights). I'll have a word with the landlord (who is a big stones fan) and suggest he does something appropriate.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 9, 2018 20:47

thecitadel
DeanGoodman
syrel

syrel

That (tiny country roads) sounds like New Zealand to me Dean.... you've been living in LA too long.

from the centre of London to St Mary's - 4 roundabouts in London, 1 on the outskirts of Southampton and 2 in Southampton. Otherwise mostly 3 lane highway.

from Southampton to Coventry stadium - the same 3 roundabouts in Southampton and 2 in Coventry (one at the stadium entrance).

from Ricoh Stadium to Old Trafford - same 2 roundabouts in Coventry and 2 in Manchester (actually Salford)

As a Brit who has seen the Stones in 16 countries on 4 continents and travelled to 33 US states (7 for Stones gigs) I find the "mentality about travelling" hilarious. Really made my evening!!

I think you've underestimated the number of roundabouts by quite a large factor there!

I drove yesterday to London which involved about 1 hour to get out of Southampton then 1 hour 20 minutes to Twickenham but then it took another 1.5 hours on top of that into central London. That's almost 4 hours to go 80 miles. And that was without any of the usual crashes on the motorway.

Today it took me 6 hours to travel 220 miles (Norfolk to Southampton) in usual traffic outside of rush hour. Thankfully I missed rush hour on the M25 (the song that Chris Rea wrote Road to Hell about).

It's not the number of roundabouts that's the issue, it's the congestion. The average speed going through London is 7.8 mph. Believe me, in bad traffic it's even slower.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 9, 2018 20:48

sjs12
Fantastic news! St Mary's stadium is just down the road from me so will be easy to get to. I am really chuffed.

Happy to give anyone some suggestions about local stuff to do...

I suggest the Platform Tavern as a good venue for pre-gig drinks (great pub with great beer and food and live blues music most nights). I'll have a word with the landlord (who is a big stones fan) and suggest he does something appropriate.

Maybe try and get the Bluescasters - Ray is a big Stones fan. They played at the Platform in December

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 9, 2018 21:22

I went to university in Southampton during the 90s and loved it. I used to work in the Platform's sister venue, The Brook, which was a brilliant (fairly small) venue in Portswood. My burgeoning love for The Stones only increased in those years and I will love seeing them in the city.

Declan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2018 22:33

Smallest stadiums with the smallest capacity at only 40,000.
Out of all listed, these would be my first choice if travel itinerary was based on seeing a Stones show alone.
A bit more "intimate" than some of the other massive stadiums and outdoor settings on the tour, some of which will have a capacity of up to 80,000!!!

Date: March 9, 2018 22:46

Congrats to those able to attend these two shows!
Relatively smaller venues should add to the experience for sure.

Wouldn't miss Twickenham and Edinburgh though on this run, and I always feel like in any large venue, doesn't really matter how many fans are behind me cool smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: March 10, 2018 00:51

OH MAN, I LOVE THIS BAND!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 10, 2018 01:16

waterrats
OH MAN, I LOVE THIS BAND!

smileys with beer Cheers mate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: March 10, 2018 02:04

syrel

I didn't want to assume anything about the nationality of posters, but I think many non-Brits don't recognise how concentrated England is and the effect that has on the inhabitants' mentality about travelling. There are so many cities in such a tight space, and our geographic parameters are structured by those cities rather than simple distance. There are major cities just 50-100 miles apart, and many people often don't travel away from those cities much.

There are cities that are close enough that you can 'pair them up' because people would travel (begrudgingly!) from one to the other to see a major show (Liverpool/Manchester, Leeds/Sheffield, Bristol/Cardiff, Glasgow/Edinburgh), but beyond that, not so much. Manchester and Birmingham (2nd and 3rd biggest cities in the UK) are about 90 miles apart but are entirely different places. Definitely much too far to travel for the average punter.

syrel

I'm an out of towner and doing the whole tour so wondering if you can give me some insight. There's 8 UK dates in exactly 1 month, starting and ending in London. Is it ideal to rent a car or camper for the month? Is that common? I have one person I'm travelling the whole of UK with, possibly 1-2 more.

Looking for some tips on the most economical way to approach it, thanks!

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 09:01

Southampton is an easy train journey out of London Waterloo.
If you go to Southampton, you surely have to visit the New Forest right next to it, and coastal villages/towns like Lymington and Mudeford.

Date: March 10, 2018 12:09

bengigan

I'm an out of towner and doing the whole tour so wondering if you can give me some insight. There's 8 UK dates in exactly 1 month, starting and ending in London. Is it ideal to rent a car or camper for the month? Is that common? I have one person I'm travelling the whole of UK with, possibly 1-2 more.

Looking for some tips on the most economical way to approach it, thanks!

Renting a camper always seems really expensive to me (I would guess £600 a week, but I could be way out). You can get decent but not glamorous accommodation for about £40 a night in most places (except Dublin, London and Edinburgh).

I'm a big fan of rail travel, but it's slower and not necessarily cheaper than budget flights, so it depends on your preferences. Also, the rail booking system in UK is completely insane. You need to book well in advance (but not too far! About 11 weeks is right) to get the cheapest tickets. Rail tickets suitable for 22nd/25th May have just gone on sale now, so it will be a case of buying them all one by one as they come on sale. Only buy tickets called 'Advance' not 'Off peak' or 'Anytime' (unless you are really desperate). More info about the UK rail system can be found here:
[www.seat61.com]

A cheaper alternative is National Express Coaches. You can pick up some good tickets for £5 or so, but I wouldn't want to do a bus journey of more than 3 hours or so (Megabus is even cheaper, but the standard is much worse).

If it were me:
Dublin to London - £42 by ferry and train [www.seat61.com]
London to Southampton - an easy train or coach (would guess about £15 or so)
Southampton to Coventry - slightly more awkward as will need to travel back into London and out again.But London to Coventry is very easy and should cost no more than £12 or so.
Coventry to Manchester - dead easy by train; again I would guess £10-15 range.
Manchester to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Cardiff will be the hardest to get cheaper tickets for, but possible. Look into 'split ticketing' on the UK trains link above.
Cardiff to London, simple.
London to Berlin, sometimes possible to get £60 sparpreis tickets. [www.seat61.com]

That should give you something to work with at least

syrel

Date: March 10, 2018 13:26

The problem with using the trains is often that you can't get back after the show. Late night public transport is very poor in the UK.

Date: March 10, 2018 13:44

That's true, but I am assuming staying somewhere in the same city. There would be no problem getting transport back to the centre of Manchester from Old Trafford, for example (or even Old Trafford to Liverpool), but I wouldn't be trying to travel on to, say, Edinburgh or London.

I will do all of the UK shows using public transport, with no problems (touch wood). The cities we are talking about all have decent enough transport systems.

syrel

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 10, 2018 14:01

nobodyimportant
The problem with using the trains is often that you can't get back after the show. Late night public transport is very poor in the UK.

right, but there are special coaches after the UK shows, even advertised on [www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: March 10, 2018 14:02

The good thing with any kind of travel for The Stones shows is that the shows are
mostly three days apart rather than the next day in another city so you have time to recover from any after gig travel hiccups.

Date: March 10, 2018 14:11

syrel

If it were me:
Dublin to London - £42 by ferry and train [www.seat61.com]
London to Southampton - an easy train or coach (would guess about £15 or so)
Southampton to Coventry - slightly more awkward as will need to travel back into London and out again.But London to Coventry is very easy and should cost no more than £12 or so.
Coventry to Manchester - dead easy by train; again I would guess £10-15 range.
Manchester to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Cardiff will be the hardest to get cheaper tickets for, but possible. Look into 'split ticketing' on the UK trains link above.
Cardiff to London, simple.
London to Berlin, sometimes possible to get £60 sparpreis tickets. [www.seat61.com]

That should give you something to work with at least

syrel
Thanks for all the tips. syrel.
I found prices on Transpennine Express to be very reasonable.. are you familiar?
Edinburgh to London for £40 (early booking-not available yet). Making a couple day stop in Liverpool after Manchester and they have great prices for Liverpool to Edinburgh as well. Found then to be less expensive than Virgin's early fares, but wondering if similar service etc?
[www.tpexpress.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 14:13 by MisterDDDD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home