Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 91
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 2, 2018 19:59

syrel
john lomax
syrel
jrcjohnny99
brownsugar86
I'm sure it's been discussed many times before in other threads, but how much roughly do you think each of the 4 get for a show in London etc. ? After expenses.

Based on other big bands, it's probably pretty close to a million each per show;
if you look at gross per stadium show being 8-10m for a 50k stadium; take 25% off for promoters and another 25% off for touring costs (set up, crew, rest of band), then you're left with approx 4-5m for the band.
crazy

Promoters don't make any money off Stones shows, they do it for the prestige. The promoter of the Australian tour in 2014 became legendary because he actually made a profit of a Stones tour - but it was measured in cents not dollars!

I think the promoters will be ok. Take London stadium for example. The promoter needs to pay the Stones 5 million quid for their fee. Assume the promoter then needs to spend another 5 million on costs (venue hire, promotion, insurance, legal etc). So 10 mill in costs.

If they sell 1000 put tix at 500 each that’s 500,000

Then say 6,000 good circle tix at 250 each gives 1.5 million

Then assume they sell another 60,000 tix at an average of £150 each, gives 9 million.

And it makes sense to do a second show because a lot of these costs (promo, legal, insurance) are largely fixed anyway regardless of how many shows, so the cost of putting on a second show might be only 7 million. So they could conceivably sell only, say, 45,000 at the second show and they would be ok.

Can you tell me where you are getting those numbers from please? I'd be interested if you can substantiate any of them. All information I've ever seen suggests that the Stones squeeze everything they can out of the promoters, leaving nothing for them.

syrel

I've actually worked on the contract for a Stones tour and based on my (very old, but probably still valid) experience, and all of these posts seem exaggerated one way or the other. VERY BASICALLY, the band is paid a guarantee per show ($5 million sounds a little high, but might be right depending on the venue and market) to deliver a "show" - the musicians, staging, tour personnel, transportation. It's up to the promoter to make a profit by generating revenue (primarily ticket sales, but often including other revenue items, such as hotel packages, local partners/advertising, concessions, goods) over $5 million + promoter costs, which usually include renting the venue, security, domestic hotel and transportation and other local costs. In my experience, promoters don't do shows for prestige - there is always a way to generate a profit.

However, they don't make a fortune - the band would be stupid to let that happen - they just make a reasonable return. Besides, the Stones aren't "the" premier live act any more.

On the other hand, promoters don't make a fortune with second shows because "costs are fixed". That's not right. They still have to pay the Stones the guarantee, and all of the cost of staging are borne by the band. The promoter still has the same costs, so it doesn't mean he can sell fewer tickets (unless the band's guarantee on a second show is lower).

Finally, the guess of $1 million per member per show is way too high. Think of all the start-up costs - set design, stage construction, legal, accounting, jet and truck rental - that have to be amortized over the course of a tour (and this tour doesn't have many dates).

Anyway, it's more complicated than that, but those are the basics.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2018 20:03

syrel
JN99
Wondering the same but honestly I thought it was the PIT tickets since you can essentially stand right alongside the pit in the GC for £150 less. If it's anything like I saw in Lucca, it will be well worth it to pay the premium for GC over GA though

I think 'pit' has a status premium, and there are many fewer of them, so even though prices are eye-watering they will sell them (and fill in the gaps with LDs). GC, however, strike me as a slightly upgraded 'ordinary punter' ticket and - my view - is that while you can get people to spend up to 200 or so on a whim, 275 is a bridge too far (especially if buying for a couple, or a family).

Have never bought GC tix before, but did for two shows this tour..
Is the pricing structure different from last years?
Planning on lining up very early in hopes of getting to front of it.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 20:10

From what I recall of Lucca, the GC tix (may not have been called that) were about the equivalent of US $250, while this year in the UK at least they have jumped to the equivalent of US $400. I tried to get them for Lucca but could not; would have made all the difference in the world as that section was really only about half full - so it seems they limit the number of tickets in the section making it much more relaxed, easy to find a good vantage point, etc. And you are of course very close to the stage as well.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 2, 2018 20:23

I got non-Platinum Pit for London Olympic 1 via Ticketmaster app

Posted by: rstass ()
Date: March 2, 2018 20:39

syrel
grzegorz67
syrel
Did anyone buy a face value pit ticket from Ticketmaster for any show? I'm wondering whether they had any at all in their allocation, or whether they are selling them all as platinum only.

syrel

The Primary Seller was AXS for all 6 UK shows and Eventime for the 2 German and 1 Polish show. Anyone else selling tickets is a scalper, which ticketmaster platinum effectively is. That Ticketmaster own them plus 2 barefaced scalper sites i.e. GetMein & Seatwave is an outrageous scandal.

Except that TM was also offering the ability to buy face value tickets... I'm just curious if anyone was actually able to buy one at face. They are clearly not simply a secondary seller in this relationship.

I tried to buy pit ticket for London 22.May and Twickenham on axs.com and ticketmaster all day without luck.
Actually PIT ticket is available only at TM through platinium ticket for 640GBP (drop from 740 GBP !!)for London 22.May and 580 GBP for Twickenham.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 2, 2018 21:00

MisterDDDD

Have never bought GC tix before, but did for two shows this tour..
Is the pricing structure different from last years?
Planning on lining up very early in hopes of getting to front of it.

Excluding Germany (which had seating and ludicrous pit prices), a general guide for last year would have been Pit between 200 and 300 euros, and golden circle 120-180 euros. At Paris, for example, GA was 90, GC was 120 and pit was 220 (but boy was it hard to get a pit ticket). Zurich was more expensive, but the ratios were about the same, if I remember correctly. What seems different to me this year is the ratio between GC and GA in particular (pit and GC a bit too, but easier to explain).

syrel

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 21:29

whos the main seller for the uK shows AXS or TM ???

in Ireland its TM all the way and i always use them for UK shows im going too

Posted by: MrsEdithGrove ()
Date: March 2, 2018 21:35

From a quick nosey at TM it looks like Pit are available from TM for Manchester at £500 and £580 for Twickenham. Only additional booking fee appears to be postage.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 2, 2018 22:17

I wonder how long it will take to fill the gaps in the tour schedule and when the two rumored shows will be announced. Any idea?
(since there's no 'pick your own seat' option for the UK shows, it's hard to estime how well tickets are selling)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 22:20 by slewan.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 2, 2018 23:07

Could they fill the gaps with EU shows?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 2, 2018 23:09

MrsEdithGrove
From a quick nosey at TM it looks like Pit are available from TM for Manchester at £500 and £580 for Twickenham. Only additional booking fee appears to be postage.

I think it is very kind of you to let us know.
I regret reading this right now,
and feel cleaved about Manchester!
Argh
good price for Pits!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 2, 2018 23:30

Harm
Could they fill the gaps with EU shows?

Yes. Thr UK is still in the EU for now grinning smiley

I’m pretty sure they’ll fill the gap with something. A club show seems likely to me. Organising a stadium show from scratch at relatively short notice would be very difficult as the venues tend to be booked by artists long in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 23:32 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 3, 2018 02:55

Theres no point or incentive in doing a club show mid-tour unless its a private gig where they can trouser the same amount of money that they would for a 'regular' concert in a stadium.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 3, 2018 04:24

Agree Gazza - any chance of a club gig will be at the beginning of the tour and will be a surprise ala The Echo in L.A. a few years ago.
Could be in Dublin (pending license for Croke Park), and if not then London. Keith seems game as he stated in a recent interview, so it really comes down to Mick.
Was surprised there was none for the first leg of No Filter, and based on the sloppy performance at Hamburg, they could have used at least one warmup gig to loosen up a bit.

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: March 3, 2018 05:05

Soirée organisée par radio perfecto à MARSEILLE le 25 juin

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: stereomanic ()
Date: March 3, 2018 11:19

Gazza
Theres no point or incentive in doing a club show mid-tour unless its a private gig where they can trouser the same amount of money that they would for a 'regular' concert in a stadium.

I agree. I don't see a club show between stadium shows. Or flying out to Europe and back with everything and everyone. Still think they'll add the second Manchester date next week, just allowing for other dates to sell over this weekend.. Or I'm game for a 4th London date haha

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 3, 2018 11:30

Gazza

Shepherds Bush 1999?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 3, 2018 13:02

Tickets still on available for the UK shows (according to AXS)

Lucky Dip: -
Pit: London I, London II,
Golden Circle: London I, London II, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham
GA standing: London II, Cardiff
Lower Tier: London II, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham
Middle Tier: Manchester, Cardiff, Twickenham
Upper Tier: Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 3, 2018 13:12

drbryant
syrel
john lomax
syrel
jrcjohnny99
brownsugar86
I'm sure it's been discussed many times before in other threads, but how much roughly do you think each of the 4 get for a show in London etc. ? After expenses.

Based on other big bands, it's probably pretty close to a million each per show;
if you look at gross per stadium show being 8-10m for a 50k stadium; take 25% off for promoters and another 25% off for touring costs (set up, crew, rest of band), then you're left with approx 4-5m for the band.
crazy

Promoters don't make any money off Stones shows, they do it for the prestige. The promoter of the Australian tour in 2014 became legendary because he actually made a profit of a Stones tour - but it was measured in cents not dollars!

I think the promoters will be ok. Take London stadium for example. The promoter needs to pay the Stones 5 million quid for their fee. Assume the promoter then needs to spend another 5 million on costs (venue hire, promotion, insurance, legal etc). So 10 mill in costs.

If they sell 1000 put tix at 500 each that’s 500,000

Then say 6,000 good circle tix at 250 each gives 1.5 million

Then assume they sell another 60,000 tix at an average of £150 each, gives 9 million.

And it makes sense to do a second show because a lot of these costs (promo, legal, insurance) are largely fixed anyway regardless of how many shows, so the cost of putting on a second show might be only 7 million. So they could conceivably sell only, say, 45,000 at the second show and they would be ok.

Can you tell me where you are getting those numbers from please? I'd be interested if you can substantiate any of them. All information I've ever seen suggests that the Stones squeeze everything they can out of the promoters, leaving nothing for them.

syrel

I've actually worked on the contract for a Stones tour and based on my (very old, but probably still valid) experience, and all of these posts seem exaggerated one way or the other. VERY BASICALLY, the band is paid a guarantee per show ($5 million sounds a little high, but might be right depending on the venue and market) to deliver a "show" - the musicians, staging, tour personnel, transportation. It's up to the promoter to make a profit by generating revenue (primarily ticket sales, but often including other revenue items, such as hotel packages, local partners/advertising, concessions, goods) over $5 million + promoter costs, which usually include renting the venue, security, domestic hotel and transportation and other local costs. In my experience, promoters don't do shows for prestige - there is always a way to generate a profit.

However, they don't make a fortune - the band would be stupid to let that happen - they just make a reasonable return. Besides, the Stones aren't "the" premier live act any more.

On the other hand, promoters don't make a fortune with second shows because "costs are fixed". That's not right. They still have to pay the Stones the guarantee, and all of the cost of staging are borne by the band. The promoter still has the same costs, so it doesn't mean he can sell fewer tickets (unless the band's guarantee on a second show is lower).

Finally, the guess of $1 million per member per show is way too high. Think of all the start-up costs - set design, stage construction, legal, accounting, jet and truck rental - that have to be amortized over the course of a tour (and this tour doesn't have many dates).

Anyway, it's more complicated than that, but those are the basics.

That's really interesting.

So it's the Stones themselves producing the show or a different company (ex: AEG) which hires them? I tend to believe it's the latter, is that right?
And from the press I've always assumed that the 5 million guaranteed is awarded to the band, but from your post it seems that that's the price the local promoter pays to the show producer, so the amount paid to each band member per show is seemingly lower that we assume.

Thanks a lot for this insight!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 3, 2018 13:30

Wild Slivovitz

And from the press I've always assumed that the 5 million guaranteed is awarded to the band, but from your post it seems that that's the price the local promoter pays to the show producer, so the amount paid to each band member per show is seemingly lower that we assume.

That's what I assumed too for the 2017 Tour: [iorr.org] ....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 3, 2018 13:40

syrel

Can you tell me where you are getting those numbers from please?

For instance: [iorr.org] , Wikipedia .

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: March 3, 2018 13:56

Irix
syrel

I would be amazed if they are making around 1M dollars per show each after rehearsing and trucking the equipment around. Also the tax is not mentioned on these post - I look at my Twickenham invoice and see VAT on the ticket. That's 20% for the UK govenment.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 3, 2018 14:04

Irix
syrel

Grosses are public information; I meant the information you were using which suggested you had inside information about money is distributed.

EDIT - sorry, that is coming across as snarky when I don't mean to be. What I am saying is that I offered a statement based on info I know from discussions with people with inside knowledge (which I can't share here, so I get that you may not believe me) - which you then contradicted. I was genuinely interested to know if you had some alternative information that could contradict what I said.

syrel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 14:17 by syrel.

Date: March 3, 2018 14:14

slewan
Tickets still on available for the UK shows (according to AXS)

Lucky Dip: -
Pit: London I, London II,
Golden Circle: London I, London II, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham
GA standing: London II, Cardiff
Lower Tier: London II, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham
Middle Tier: Manchester, Cardiff, Twickenham
Upper Tier: Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff

Good work. Think sales are going okay. Cheap tickets gone everywhere. Expensive ones might be a big problemHowever no way they sold out pit at all shows bar london.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 3, 2018 14:27

no pit available on AXS for London as far as I can see

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 3, 2018 14:57

Cost of GA Standing Hyde Park? Anyone remind me what we paid please.

Posted by: zgredzik ()
Date: March 3, 2018 15:03

Some of you said sometime ago, that Stones won't play in Poland because tickets will have poor sale. Yesterday tickets sold out in 60 minutes and it's the first show of tour which is sold out grinning smiley it shows how much people here love The Rolling Stones and 11 years was enough to born the new generation of Stones fans

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 3, 2018 15:10

zgredzik
Some of you said sometime ago, that Stones won't play in Poland because tickets will have poor sale. Yesterday tickets sold out in 60 minutes and it's the first show of tour which is sold out grinning smiley it shows how much people here love The Rolling Stones and 11 years was enough to born the new generation of Stones fans

I am sure more tickets will appear over the next weeks and months.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 3, 2018 15:12

zgredzik

I don't disagree, but Poland possibly being their last concert ever surely has something to do with this.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 3, 2018 15:21

zgredzik

There's a lot of demand (and money) in Poland meanwhile. The fact that the date is not weekdays also helps a lot. Nevertheless I am surprised how good Warsaw seems to be selling, considering the absurd prices and the venue. Nobody seems to care about the oversaturated Berlin, on the other hand. (The Warsaw thread has 147 posts, the Berlin thread 23!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 15:28 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home