Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what's the longest any major songwriting act has gone b/w original albums
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 25, 2018 06:41

13 years now since A Bigger Bang. What's the longest break between original albums ever. Peter Gabriel took over a decade between Us and Up. Billy Joel last put out something in '93, but he seems to be retired from writing and recording rock songs.

Re: what's the longest any major songwriting act has gone b/w original albums
Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 25, 2018 06:59

15+ years since Peter Gabriel released Up.

Chuck Berry went 38 years without a studio album before releasing one last year.

The Who went 24 years between It's Hard and Endless Wire. 11+ years since Endless Wire.

The Stooges (Ron Asheton) went 37 years between Funhouse and The Weirdness. Iggy and the Stooges (James Williamson) went 39 years between Raw Power and Ready to Die. 34 years between Raw Power and The Weirdness.

Billy Joel stopped making rock/pop records in the early 90s, but headlines MSG monthly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 12:55 by ab.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 25, 2018 07:01

19 Years. In 1999 The Moody Blues released "Strange Times"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 07:08 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 25, 2018 08:49

Frankie Beverly and Maze:

“Maze’s touring success bucks convention. The band hasn’t had a studio album to promote since 1993, a lengthy abstention that today seems symbolic. Around the time that Maze stopped recording, pop culture took a sharp turn into fashionable edginess — the funereal gloom of grunge rock, the Lolita coyness of teen pop, the boastful criminality of gangsta rap. Maze and Frankie Beverly made their bones back in the ’70s and ’80s crooning about happy feelings, sweet Southern girls, and how joy and pain are two sides of the same coin. It’s conceivable that Beverly mulled the possibility of competing in an increasingly coarse pop world and decided ain’t nobody got time for that.”

June 2017 concert review
The hits, we all recognize. But the Maze of this night, in 2017, after more than four decades of performing, recording, touring and preserving a standard of excellence that has earned the band a cult following, is different than the one you might remember.
But in the end this was Maze performing for Maze people, who have kept the band touring and performing despite Maze’s last charted single being 23 years old. The band’s best known hits are all more than three decades old. And on this night those Maze people gleefully participated in the singalong and luxuriated in a near perfect night.

While most of Maze’s contemporaries are working the club circuit, or no longer working at all, Maze continues to fill theaters and small arenas, even without a “crossover” pop hit, or any new music for more than a decade.

“Our thing has come from being a legitimate act,” Beverly once told me. “That’s just as powerful, or maybe more powerful, then selling records. The bottom line is, you get the reputation of ‘so-and-so’s coming to town, I’ve got to go to that.’ I don’t think you can do any better than that as an artist.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 08:59 by 35love.

Date: February 25, 2018 09:44

More Hot Rocks

well they released an album in 2003 that had 5-6 original tunes. that being said I believe the band had stated when ray Thomas retired they would complete their current recording contract and then not make any more new material but instead focus on solo material. Hayward and Lodge have both released solo material since 2003

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 25, 2018 12:36

Rod Stewart? Didn't he do this American Songbook stuff for a while and only recently returned to writing again?

Date: February 25, 2018 12:42

Send It To me
13 years now since A Bigger Bang. What's the longest break between original albums ever. Peter Gabriel took over a decade between Us and Up. Billy Joel last put out something in '93, but he seems to be retired from writing and recording rock songs.

peter Gabriel had a soundtrack released in 2000 that I think was all original material

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:00

b/w confused smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:08

Koen
b/w confused smiley
between.
[acronyms.thefreedictionary.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:12

It's been 30 years since we've had a Jimmy Page solo album, and 20 years since we've heard any new music from him at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 15:21 by tatters.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:24

When briefly reflecting this issue, I suddenly realized that it's going to be 6 years this year (in September) from the latest Dylan album of originals (TEMPEST). That's his biggest gap since the 90's (1990 UNDER THE RED SKY -> 1997 TIME OUT OF MIND) - so that's quite a lot in Dylan's standards. I hope his adventure in doing covers - like back then - is a fruit for another run of great original albums, hopefully being something different by nature he has done before. No news I've heard yet, but I have a feeling that old Bob's not done yet... Not that I don't like his Sinatra/American Song Book stuff - actually through Dylan's effect I have started to understand and appreciate more that kind of stuff, andI think the whole project is another interesting chapter in Dylan's story - but let's say, CERTIFICATE started to be too much for me to stomach...

But still a bit saddening to remember that it's also soon six years when the Stones released something original, and just two songs...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 15:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:42

Doxa
When briefly reflecting this issue, I suddenly realized that it's going to be 6 years this year (in September) from the latest Dylan album of originals (TEMPEST). That's his biggest gap since the 90's (1990 UNDER THE RED SKY -> 1997 TIME OUT OF MIND) - so that's quite a lot in Dylan's standards. I hope his adventure in doing covers - like back then - is a fruit for another run of great original albums, hopefully being something different by nature he has done before. No news I've heard yet, but I have a feeling that old Bob's not done yet... Not that I don't like his Sinatra/American Song Book stuff - actually through Dylan's effect I have started to understand and appreciate more that kind of stuff, andI think the whole project is another interesting chapter in Dylan's story - but let's say, CERTIFICATE started to be too much for me to stomach...

But still a bit saddening to remember that it's also soon six years when the Stones released something original, and just two songs...

- Doxa
Certificate, or Triplicate?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:49

keefriff99

Certificate, or Triplicate?

Yeah, my lapsus haha. Sorry!

Like I said it is a bit too much for me to stomach...grinning smiley

But I'll give the guy certificate for anything any day,,,,

- Doxa

Date: February 25, 2018 15:59

“I intend to be doing something which obviously will surface as a sort of album somewhere,” he said. “It'll surface further on down the line; I'm looking forward to doing whatever the project is. But if you think about all the areas that I've attempted, guitar, whether it's acoustic or electric or whatever, all the different approaches that I've done, it's just gonna be an extension of all of that, and that's it.” He emphasized: “So it's not just acoustic, it's not just electric, it's everything I can muster up.”

-- Jimmy Page

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:36

tatters
“I intend to be doing something which obviously will surface as a sort of album somewhere,” he said. “It'll surface further on down the line; I'm looking forward to doing whatever the project is. But if you think about all the areas that I've attempted, guitar, whether it's acoustic or electric or whatever, all the different approaches that I've done, it's just gonna be an extension of all of that, and that's it.” He emphasized: “So it's not just acoustic, it's not just electric, it's everything I can muster up.”

-- Jimmy Page

I always thought Page might produce a Tubular Bells type instrumental album.
Maybe with help from others..but focussing on his still incredible guitar playing skills.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 25, 2018 23:17

Guns n Roses Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 september 17th 1991, the follow up from Axl Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy november 23rd 2008!!eye popping smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 25, 2018 23:29

More Hot Rocks

Strange Times was 8 years after Keys to the Kingdom.

Between 1978 and 1991, the Moodies released an album every 2 or 3 years.

There's been nothing since 2003.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 26, 2018 00:20

tatters
It's been 30 years since we've had a Jimmy Page solo album, and 20 years since we've heard any new music from him at all.

I got to say, he's been wasting my time

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 26, 2018 00:20

If you discount the 2004 Honkin With Bobbo cover album Aerosmith went from 2001 Just Push Play until 2012 Music From Another Dimension

ELP went from 1978 to 1992

Steely Dan went 20 years

Cat Stevens 1968 - 2006

Eagles 1979-2007

Dick Dale 1964-1993

New York Doll 1974-2006

The Stooges 1967-2007

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 00:25 by oldschool.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 26, 2018 00:30

oldschool

The Stooges 1967-2007

Must be a typo as the Stooges first album was in 1969.
Fun House came out in 1970, and Raw Power in 1973 (as Iggy and the Stooges).

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 26, 2018 00:36

chinese democracy II
will be released in 2045.

Date: February 26, 2018 00:45

oldschool
Cat Stevens 1968 - 2006

Released albums from 1967 to 1978 as Cat Stevens and from 1995 to 2014 as Yusuf Islam (2006 to 2017 as just Yusuf).

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 26, 2018 01:37

Hairball
oldschool

The Stooges 1967-2007

Must be a typo as the Stooges first album was in 1969.
Fun House came out in 1970, and Raw Power in 1973 (as Iggy and the Stooges).

Yeah should be 1973 -2007, 34 years

Date: February 26, 2018 02:45

The Yardbirds 2003 album Birdland was their first since 1967's Little Games. 36 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 02:47 by tatters.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 26, 2018 02:50

There is no $ in records but according to Money Magazine
The Rolling Stones Are Making $10 Million a Night

December 11, 2017
The average age of the band members is 73 and they haven’t had a hit record in two decades.

But the Rolling Stones are making more money on tour per night than any other live music act right now, according to Pollstar, a publication that tracks live events.

The Stones grossed about $10 million per show on their recent 12-city, 14-show “No Filter” tour, selling approximately 63,000 tickets a night at an average price of about $159.

That’s about $1.7 million more than current 2nd-place holders U2, who are grossing $8.2 million per show on their current tour. While U2 sells more tickets per night, the average price is only about $115. The Stones have held the No. 1 spot since early November.

We continue to find the sweet spot,” Rolling Stones’ tour promoter John Meglen told Pollstar in an interview. “It’s not about how much can we charge, it’s about how can we find what these seats are worth.”

Meglen told the publication he gets direct feedback from fans on the road and that pricing requires a personalized touch, otherwise, he told Pollstar, “you’re just treating artists like widgets, and you can’t do that.”

The Stones grossed approximately $120 million in total for the entire tour, which just wrapped up in Europe, Pollstar said. According to Billboard, the band has the No. 11 and No. 9 all-time grossing tours, with the latter being the “Licks” tour of 2002-2003. It grossed $311 million. The Stones pull in 60% of those sales, according to one expert, which is on the higher end thanks to their legendary status.

Here are the top-10 music acts on tour since September, ranked by how much they make per night:

10. Kendrick Lamar: $1.2 million per show

9. Neil Diamond: $1.4 million per show

8. Ed Sheeran: $1.4 million per show

7. Roger Waters: $2.3 million per show

6. Bruno Mars: $2.4 million per show

5. Guns N’ Roses: $2.9 million per show

4. Lady Gaga: $3 million per show

3. Coldplay: $4.6 million per show

2. U2: $8.2 million per show

1. Rolling Stones: $10 million per show

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 26, 2018 03:08

The Sonics - 1980 - 2015

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 26, 2018 03:28

Syd Barrett?

Date: February 26, 2018 03:38

tatters
The Yardbirds 2003 album Birdland was their first since 1967's Little Games. 36 years.

There were the Box of Frogs albums from 1984 (Jeff Beck as guest on first album) and 1986 (Jimmy Page as guest on Strange Land) -- Dreja, Samwell-Smith, and McCarty didn't have rights to use the Yardbirds name at the time.

So, technically, Birdland was the first in 17 years, and the eponymous Box of Frogs album came 17 years after Little Games.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 26, 2018 06:27

Vashti Bunyan waited 35 years between releases:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Perhaps not a "major artist", but an influential one on Devendra Banhart and the millenial ssw's.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 26, 2018 15:18

The Beatles:

Let it be (1970)
Anthology 1 (1995)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home