Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Your first Purchase of a Stones album the day of release
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:52

When was your first time buying a Stones album as soon as it went on sale? Let's see how far back we can go .Mine was Undercover. I was one year late on Tattoo You.

Re: Your first Purchase of a Stones album the day of release
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:31

I only got there when I already owned all other albums.
So while I got start me up as a single and it was my first Stones item its only when dirty work was released that I bought it the day it arrived in shops

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 24, 2018 10:12

Emotional Rescue. I remember Some Girls when it was new but I think I waited a little while to buy it.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 24, 2018 11:08

YA-YA's
After school I hurried to the local record store. Bought the LP
and rushed home immediately.
It was on rotation for the rest of the day and the next day and the next ... smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2018 11:25

Steel Wheels

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 24, 2018 11:34

Some Girls.
Love You Live was bought by my brother when it came out and it started the big hunt. I think by the time Some Girls was released we already had 80% of the Stones records.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: February 24, 2018 11:56

Early '64 the debut album

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:26

I think Beggars B.- but not shure whether really 1. day.
Been a little local shops then.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:28

Voodoo Lounge for me. At home visiting my mother recently, I found a box with most of the CD singles from that era, my old Wembley ticket, a merch catalogue and a copy of the 'Shattered' fanzine too.

good times!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:37

Love You Live

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:38

Beggars Banquet

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:39

Goats Head Soup...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:52

Mine was Black and Blue. I was still at school and left in the long pause - about 10.20 a.m. with 15 minutes time. The record store was quite close but I missed being back at time, so I decided not being late but not to go to that lesson. Unfortunately, I met the teacher when school was out. She was smiling as she recognized the bag of the record shop...
The next time was Love You Live - same story but: it was already sold out! I was consoled that they would get another delivery in the afternoon.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 24, 2018 14:32

Emotional Rescue actually 2 days before release. It was in stock and the guy behind took pity on my 15 year old self

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:14

DrPete
Emotional Rescue actually 2 days before release. It was in stock and the guy behind took pity on my 15 year old self

Emotional Rescue for me too but not 2 days early. After discovering them with Some Girls, I've bought all except Steel Wheels on the day of (or earlier from stores we knew that did that).

For Steel Wheels, I was screwed by the local radio station. They had some promo, perhaps being the 9th caller or something, to "win Steel Wheels before you can buy it". I won! But the key point was that you "win before you can buy", I guess I did, but they didn't have it! Not only that, they didn't have it until 2 weeks AFTER you could buy it, that's when I finally got word that I could come down and pick it up (I was calling every day!).

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:23

Through the Past,darkly

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:24

Steel wheels

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:34

Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:37

Undercover

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 24, 2018 16:01

Flashpoint

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 24, 2018 16:18

Goats Head Soup (!)
Still love this album..

In looking up the date of release, saw this about it in Wiki..
Hadn't read before, but the author may be accurate.

"Goats Head Soup is now generally considered to have marked the end of the Stones' "golden age", with Stephen Thomas Erlewine saying, "Sliding out of perhaps the greatest winning streak in rock history, the Stones slipped into decadence and rock star excess with Goats Head Soup... This is where the Stones' image began to eclipse their accomplishments, as Mick ascended to jet-setting celebrity and Keith slowly sunk deeper into addiction, and it's possible hearing them moving in both directions on Goats Head Soup, at times in the same song."

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: February 24, 2018 18:23

"Sticky Fingers"

I purchased it on the day of release, or within a few days of release.

I still have the vinyl album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 19:24 by Chacho.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 24, 2018 18:30

Black and Blue

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:08

IORR.

There were three different record stores (Middle Earth, Licorice Pizza, the Wherehouse) in Downey, CA (Four actually if you count Wenzel's, which specialized in Oldies) which we frequented.

On the day that "big" records were released (i.e. Stones, Who, Dylan, etc.) we would drop by each of them to check out the scene, and you could often feel the energy in the air as people hurried in to get the new releases.

For Some Girls, everybody was pumped by "Miss You" (already released) and the excitement that day was HUGE.

I was working the day Tattoo You came out, and had plans to pick it up during my lunch break when Middle Earth opened. When I got in my car--it wouldn't start!

A co-worker loaned my her car so I could go get the album. She was usually kind of a jerk, but she must have seen my passion and was surprisingly cool that day.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:55

Exile on main street

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 24, 2018 20:01

May I tell some more funny Stones purchases despite being them no first day buyings?! Thank you for agreeing...

This one might count as a "last day purchase"... We were in Sweden on holiday and the local gas station (certainly nationwide) had the Virgin cd issues on sale and the Stones had changed the record company recently.
They had a 'normal' price - unless you would be a certain tabloid (I forgot which one) every day and could get one cd at something like half the price!
So, I thought about it and proposed to the man in the station the following: I don't want the tabloid but I want the CDs! Can I have them ALL right now for the tabloid price (and you can have an extra copy of the tabloid to sell)?
He thought about it and I got all the records...

The next one is a 'new copy for the price of a used copy' deal. Still at school, our class visited Berlin (then not Germany's capital). One day I went into a record shop and found Ronnie's Now Look. But I didn't have enough money (there were about 1 or 2 DM missing). I begged my class mates but they didn't borrow me the money.
So, imagine the scene: I'm in this shop with that record in my hands, going up and down to my mates asking them for a little money and suddenly the shop owner stops me. Grabs the record out of my hands. Walks behind his bar (or whatever the word is) and does a slight tear in the sleeve!!! Then he says 14.95... That was what I had in my pocket!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 24, 2018 20:32

Tattoo You for me, but I was with my older brother the day he purchased Some Girls the day of release. We bought case of beer, rolled up a bunch of joints, and turned it into a marathon listening party.
Listened on repeat throughout the evening until last man standing - he won that battle as he was a seasoned professional partier at the time while I was still a young novice!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 24, 2018 20:52

Goats Head Soup...

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: February 24, 2018 21:01

VooDoo Lounge. Got into the Stones right before Steel Wheels came out, but didn't get it until Christmas of 89. I was at K-Mart the day Voodoo Lounge was released.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 24, 2018 21:13

Wow, uniquely I bought Sucking In The 70’s on its release date. Then everything after...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home