Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Dead & Company European Tour?
Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: February 23, 2018 21:35

Have any of you Europeans heard anything about the rumors of the Grateful Dead (aka Dead & Company), playing some European dates in the late summer/early fall? Amsterdam and London have been the cities I've heard suggested so far...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-24 15:37 by bv.

Re: OT: Grateful Dead European Tour
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 23, 2018 22:46

Where did you hear that? I'd love to go but I doubt they're up for a Euro jaunt at their age, and I can't imaging more than 2000 fans showing up at any of the gigs. They've already got a huge tour lined up in the US (dates listed on [www.deadandcompany.com] )

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:32

I know they are coming to Buffalo (Darien Lake) on June 19th. It is worst possibe venue they could find. An amusement park about a half hour outside Buffalo with limited roads in and out. Sheriffs patrols will be all over the place. This venue sucks.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:36

FrogSugar
Where did you hear that? I'd love to go but I doubt they're up for a Euro jaunt at their age, and I can't imaging more than 2000 fans showing up at any of the gigs. They've already got a huge tour lined up in the US (dates listed on [www.deadandcompany.com] )

Really? I thought they were very successful in Europe? I'm surprised to hear this wouldn't be met with much excitement. Yes, maybe they don't have it in them to tour there anymore, but it seems they tour pretty intensely in the US. Would touring Europe really be that different? Besides obviously the big trek actually over there. But once in Europe I would think it would be similar to touring in America, in terms of effort on their part and success audience-wise.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:42

Isn't it correct that they have never played in Europe before or am I wrong?

Nate

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:45

I can't see it happening. the grateful dead only came to Europe twice as far as I know. Bob Wier is the only member of the dead to have come over since Jerry Garcia died. I could see a promoter putting them on in a big venue over here, especially given that John Mayer headlines arenas over here on his own.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:46

Nate
Isn't it correct that they have never played in Europe before or am I wrong?

Dead & Company have not played Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-23 23:46 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:50

Thanks

Nate

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 24, 2018 01:20

JRAD - Joe Russos's Almost Dead are way better.

Date: February 24, 2018 02:04

dead and company are not aka the grateful dead

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 24, 2018 02:39

John Mayer is the only thing worth listening to in Dead and Company.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: February 24, 2018 02:41

keefriffhard4life

They're now the primary manifestation of the Grateful Dead

Date: February 24, 2018 03:34

Bobbyb98
keefriffhard4life

They're now the primary manifestation of the Grateful Dead

but they aren't the grateful dead and don't bill themselves as such

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: February 24, 2018 05:10

I say now don't be silly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 22:17 by misterfrias.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:47

RollingFreak
FrogSugar

Really? I thought they were very successful in Europe? I'm surprised to hear this wouldn't be met with much excitement. Yes, maybe they don't have it in them to tour there anymore, but it seems they tour pretty intensely in the US. Would touring Europe really be that different? Besides obviously the big trek actually over there. But once in Europe I would think it would be similar to touring in America, in terms of effort on their part and success audience-wise.

I don't know anyone here who listens to the Dead, hardly anyone knows they exist. In my 15 years here, I've only met a handful of people who've heard of them...Only seen 1 Dead shirt in public...Maybe they're bigger in England than in mainland Europe...?! In California they're playing Dodger Stadium, here in France I doubt they could gather 1/10th of that crowd (or even 1/20th).

Date: February 24, 2018 09:48

mr_c_ox
...Bob Wier is the only member of the dead to have come over since Jerry Garcia died...

Really, when?!

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: February 24, 2018 10:43

mr_c_ox
I can't see it happening. the grateful dead only came to Europe twice as far as I know. Bob Wier is the only member of the dead to have come over since Jerry Garcia died. I could see a promoter putting them on in a big venue over here, especially given that John Mayer headlines arenas over here on his own.
Phil Lesh was at the Brooklyn Bowl near the O2 on 30 July 2014. Great gig.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:41

Bob Weir toured UK in 2002 with Ratdog and were fantastic.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: February 24, 2018 14:24

Ratdog came back a year later as well!

Re: OT: Dead & Company European Tour?
Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:45

The Grateful Dead played at least one show in Europe in each of the following years: 1970, 71, 72, 74, 81 and 90. See setlists.net for more information.

Dead and Company are just fine, but they play way too slow. Kreutzmann plays like he's asleep. They could also stand to turn up Oteil.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-24 18:27 by ab.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 24, 2018 15:46

If you do not have anything nice to say then please do not say it here. The sort of "I hate xxx" does not make sense on a fan site.

If your head is filling up with hate then go bang your head in the wall or on a tree for a while, then stop doing it, and you will feel better.

Bjornulf

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 24, 2018 16:12

Long time Deadhead here.
Saw the Grateful Dead with Jerry Garcia close to 300 times. (If the Stones had toured as much in the USA, I would have done that)
Seen Dead & Co. 9 times now.
Yes, Dead & Company play a lot slower tempos then the original GD. Its more of a nostaglia trip then anything else at their shows.
Although the music doesn't not have quite the "Umphf" or "X" factor like when Jerry was around, its still a fun time.
I dont think they will tour Europe.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2018 16:51

Grateful Dean blog says 8 shows rumored.

[gratefuldean.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:56

FrogSugar
RollingFreak
FrogSugar

I don't know anyone here who listens to the Dead, hardly anyone knows they exist. In my 15 years here, I've only met a handful of people who've heard of them...Only seen 1 Dead shirt in public...Maybe they're bigger in England than in mainland Europe...?! In California they're playing Dodger Stadium, here in France I doubt they could gather 1/10th of that crowd (or even 1/20th).

Huh, I guess I just knew Europe 72 and assumed they toured there similarly but obviously not as much as they toured America.

Date: February 24, 2018 20:59

bye bye johnny
Grateful Dean blog says 8 shows rumored.

[gratefuldean.com]

Bitchin! I just subscribed to his blog to get updates if a tour eventually materialises smileys with beer

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 24, 2018 21:12

While probably not as lucrative as touring the US, they're making enough hay to justify a short jaunt to Europe to mix it up a bit.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 24, 2018 21:53

For the Deadheads:

BGS Presents Jubilee: A Celebration of Jerry Garcia
By BGS Staff
Feb 22, 2018

Jerry Garcia

We’re thrilled to announce Jubilee: A Celebration of Jerry Garcia, taking place on Friday, March 30 at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. Presented by BGS, Goldenvoice, and the Jerry Garcia Family, Jubilee gathers a wide range of artists and acolytes who loved Garcia all celebrating his songbook, his legacy, and the year of his 75th birthday.

The lineup includes Mike Campbell, Josh Ritter, David Hidalgo, Amos Lee, Willie Watson, Molly Tuttle, Hiss Golden Messenger, Billy Strings, Jamie Drake, Banditos, and many more special guests, all led by the Jubilee House Band — featuring Benmont Tench, Sean Watkins, Tyler Chester, and Jay Bellerose.

The evening will benefit three Garcia Family selected charities: the Rex Foundation, the Jerry Garcia Foundation, and the Center for Biological Diversity.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 24, 2018 22:33

RollingFreak
FrogSugar
RollingFreak
FrogSugar

Huh, I guess I just knew Europe 72 and assumed they toured there similarly but obviously not as much as they toured America.

The GD played 92 concerts outside the US (from my DeadBase V book):

Canada - 27
Denmark - 5
Egypt - 3
England - 23
France - 10
Germany - 15
Jamaica - 1
Luxembourg - 1
Scotland - 1
Spain - 1
Sweden - 1
The Netherlands - 4

European dates are mainly from 1971, 1972, 1974, 1981, 1990

They played 760 concerts in California and 257 concerts in NY...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 25, 2018 01:12

Bobbyb98
Have any of you Europeans heard anything about the rumors of the Grateful Dead (aka Dead & Company), playing some European dates in the late summer/early fall?

No. Where have you heard that?

RollingFreak
I thought they were very successful in Europe?

Well, they hardly ever played Europe. There was the 1972 Tour, and a handful of concerts in 1974, 1981 and 1990. I think it was Phil who said in his book that they didn't go abroad more often because of Jerry's drug habit.

Date: February 25, 2018 14:35

doitywoik
... I think it was Phil who said in his book that they didn't go abroad more often because of Jerry's drug habit...

Is his book any good? I just ordered Bill Kreutzman's but haven't even started it yet.

I recently downloaded the Dead's June 21, 1971 impromptu show at Château d'Herouville in the Paris suburbs (the same place where Rainbow, Bowie, Elton John and others recorded some classic albums)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home