Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Telecaster Custom 72 Mathijs
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 19, 2018 17:22

Dear Mathijs

I own a 1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster custom 72 (black) ... I amn thinking about changing its pickups to get that 81' sound... You have any suggestions?

Peace.

Loudei

Re: Telecaster Custom 72 Mathijs
Posted by: Marthijn ()
Date: February 19, 2018 23:04

during the 81 tour Keith used a Boogie, my guess is, the 81 sound is more in the amp than in others pick ups.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: February 20, 2018 00:10

Marthijn
during the 81 tour Keith used a Boogie, my guess is, the 81 sound is more in the amp than in others pick ups.

Exactly. I have a Japanese reissue of this guitar and a Fender Blues Junior amp. If I tune to Open G like Keith (5 string), I can nail the tone/sound of You Can't Always Get What You Want from 1981.

I also have one of those Line 6 Pod effects things to help dial in tone, reverb, etc.

Leave those pickups alone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 00:11 by punkfloyd.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 20, 2018 11:58

Loudei
Dear Mathijs

I own a 1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster custom 72 (black) ... I amn thinking about changing its pickups to get that 81' sound... You have any suggestions?

Peace.

Loudei

I agree that the sound is more due to the Boogie amps than to the kind of pickup he used in his guitars.

That said, I think the Japanese Fender pickups are not the best around, and upgrading these really makes a difference. I personally find the the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups the absolute best around, with the SD Antiquity second.

Mathijs

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 20, 2018 15:39

Thanks Mathijs - if anyine of you has or knows where I could find a Wide Range Fender Humbucker (original) please let me know.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 20, 2018 16:25

I like the SD Broadcaster .

Not the most twangin' Tele pup on the market...

... but with plenty of Rock N Roll grit that will help, along with the right amp, to get that Keith sound....quite clean but with strong mids and a bit of hair & attitude on it .

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: February 20, 2018 19:55

Loudei
Thanks Mathijs - if anyine of you has or knows where I could find a Wide Range Fender Humbucker (original) please let me know.

...or a reversed Gibson humbucker like Keith used too. Any experiences with that ,Mathijs? Fender widerange vs. reversed Gibson?

Tom

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 20, 2018 20:43

A 1985 replica of a 1972 guitar to create a 1981 sound confused smiley

Date: February 21, 2018 11:13

electricmud
Loudei

...or a reversed Gibson humbucker like Keith used too. Any experiences with that ,Mathijs? Fender widerange vs. reversed Gibson?

Tom

What's a reversed Gibson humbucker?

Mathijs

Date: February 21, 2018 11:51

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 21, 2018 13:34

Mathijs
electricmud
Loudei

Tom

Mathijs
I believe it's when you take the humbucker and flip it upside down so the polepieces (the screws ,not the slugs ) face towards the bridge -which is opposite of the way it usually faces and I believe it also has something to do in then making the pickup out of phase (which also might have to be wired a certain way ) Which of course the most famous user was Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac with his most famous 1959 vintage Sunburst Gibson Les Paul aka "Greenie" .Which Peter Green sold to Gary Moore who's estate sold it to Kirk Hammett from Metalica who actually takes it on the road and uses it on stage .

Date: February 21, 2018 13:40

TheGreek
Mathijs
electricmud
Loudei

Tom

Mathijs
I believe it's when you take the humbucker and flip it upside down so the polepieces (the screws ,not the slugs ) face towards the bridge -which is opposite of the way it usually faces and I believe it also has something to do in then making the pickup out of phase (which also might have to be wired a certain way ) Which of course the most famous user was Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac with his most famous 1959 vintage Sunburst Gibson Les Paul aka "Greenie" .Which Peter Green sold to Gary Moore who's estate sold it to Kirk Hammett from Metalica who actually takes it on the road and uses it on stage .

Now I understand. The theory is that with the screw polepieces facing towards the bridge the sound will be a bit brighter. Personally I do not hear a difference at all. I simply find a humbucker in a Tele too dark and muddy sounding. The only real use is to blend it with the lead pickup.

To get two pickups to be out of face the magnets need to be facing the same direction. So, Peter Green had one of the magnets flipped.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 21, 2018 14:15

Mathijs
TheGreek
Mathijs
electricmud
Loudei

Tom

Mathijs

Now I understand. The theory is that with the screw polepieces facing towards the bridge the sound will be a bit brighter. Personally I do not hear a difference at all. I simply find a humbucker in a Tele too dark and muddy sounding. The only real use is to blend it with the lead pickup.

To get two pickups to be out of face the magnets need to be facing the same direction. So, Peter Green had one of the magnets flipped.

Mathijs
Yes you are correct because I forgot about the magnet flip and I believe this out of phase sound works only on the middle position with both humbucker's activated .Mathijs , my sincere compliments as you truly are a Wizard of the Guitar as you knew about the infamous magnet flip .

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: February 21, 2018 15:20

TheGreek
Mathijs
TheGreek
Mathijs
electricmud
Loudei

Tom

Mathijs

Mathijs
Yes you are correct because I forgot about the magnet flip and I believe this out of phase sound works only on the middle position with both humbucker's activated .Mathijs , my sincere compliments as you truly are a Wizard of the Guitar as you knew about the infamous magnet flip .
i

Thanks for your reply Mathijs and Greek. I Never thought about the out of phase aspect with a reversed humbucker but to get a brighter less muddier sound instand.The Seymour Duncan Broadcaster sounds great to me. So now to find the right humbucker. And yes it's the middle position, the combination of neck and bridge pu what is all about. Never liked a tele humbucker either. Having Said that I Love the single coil neck pu on my old Tele. So we have no comparison fender wide range vs. Gibson reversed...

Tom

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 23, 2018 21:15

Deleted (problems with photobucket).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-24 13:38 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: February 23, 2018 21:36

I use Tuma Pickups WR 6 Widerange - great handmade custom pickups, very nice sound. His target was sound of original old Fender pickups and I think he was succesful. For 60Euro only.[www.tumapickups.com]-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home