Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1989 STEEL WHEELS Press Conference
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:29

I've been looking - keeping an eye out, really - for this for a while and I found it. This thing always cracked me up. Mick was such a smart ass.

According to publishings in mid-July of 1989 the tour was to start in Buffalo September 1 and Philly wasn't until Sept 21.

Robin Carter: Some rock critics have charged that the only reason you're doing it is for the money.

Ronnie: No that's The Who.

I love Mick's snark: It's not Twenty bucks in a club.

For all the hype and the amount of people there they sure are docile.

STEEL WHEELS Press Conference NYC

Re: 1989 STEEL WHEELS Press Conference
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:26

Great find, thanks.
I´ve never seen it completely.

"It´s 27 years in the business for the Stones" grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:30

TooTough
Great find, thanks.

It's truly mind-boggling to think that this moment in 1989 represents (for now) just shy the MIDPOINT of their career.

I mean, they were considered old, decrepit fossils in 1989, and yet here they are 29 years later.

Date: February 12, 2018 20:34

I was somehow able to record it on VHS. I watched just their part over and over probably 30 times.

Recently I watched the BRIDGES press conference and it made me wonder about this one so I searched YouTube and then Google and nothing but a small clip.

For years I thought Ronnie said "A bit of a sample" so I was about with my friends saying it in that accent - but he says "A free sample"!!!!!

Date: February 12, 2018 20:37

keefriff99
TooTough
Great find, thanks.

It's truly mind-boggling to think that this moment in 1989 represents (for now) just shy the MIDPOINT of their career.

I mean, they were considered old, decrepit fossils in 1989, and yet here they are 29 years later.

I used to think that was all just hype, that whole 'Oh they're SO OLLLLLLD' crap. But people were very serious about that! BACK THEN!

29 years later - albeit hardly often!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:51

It was aired live on MTV Europe. It was a shamble though. As Stones press conferences often are. Poor Kurt Loder.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:52

I think the tour starting in Philly on 31st August of '89, and Buffalo not getting a gig at all, could be an early example of The Stones blocking off multiple dates at a venue, then arranging the puzzle of dates as they go.

Seems we've seen some examples of this in the years since.

And here in the US you read of the "primary tenant" having first choice on dates in their building, which is why The Stones' opening night at Staples Center in 2013 moved around, as they had teams in the playoff stretch, at least the NHL Kings.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 12, 2018 21:05

Yep---Stated in PHILLY..
I was there and it was fun!!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 13, 2018 02:31

Amazing... that brings back the memories...

Adrian Acosta
Published on Feb 11, 2018

Adrian is a HERO!!!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 13, 2018 02:35

keefriff99
TooTough
Great find, thanks.

Yup, many people calling that "Steel Wheel Chairs"

It used to piss me off(stilldoes) that that did not get just due respect, but in retrospect maybe all the naysayers nay-saying helped(one of many things) keep them going.... PROVE THEM ALL WRONG!

And indeed all the naysayers were and still are proved wrong.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 13, 2018 02:41

It's funny how old they seemed back then, and looking back on it now how young they were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 02:43 by ryanpow.

Date: February 13, 2018 02:49

Haha, just saw Gary "Baba Booey" Dell'Abate, Howard Stern's long-suffering producer, asking a question at 8:04!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 13, 2018 03:36

Steel Wheels the halfway point of their career?

Their set lists in recent decades seem to indicate their halfway point as 1972, and their own authorized 50th anniversary documentary film seems to reinforce that.

They looked young in 1989? Charlie with his frosty white hair and Bill with his puffy rumpled skin?

They didn't look old, but they didn't look young; they looked like what they were -- middle aged.

As proof of that, 1989 would see their last major hit single in Mixed Emotions -- hardly their finest, most iconic defining moment as songs go.

More and more, Keith was coming to resemble The Cheshire Cat.

They weren't doing it for the money, because they didn't need any more; Bill Wyman's rather comfortable life as an ex-Stone would seem to indicate as much.

They were doing it for the reason they would never admit to publicly: they couldn't face life without the roller coaster, to go back to just being Dartford renegades again.

They couldn't, and wouldn't, do it without the feeling of the whole world watching.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 13, 2018 04:05

stonehearted
Steel Wheels the halfway point of their career?

Their set lists in recent decades seem to indicate their halfway point as 1972, and their own authorized 50th anniversary documentary film seems to reinforce that.

They looked young in 1989? Charlie with his frosty white hair and Bill with his puffy rumpled skin?

They didn't look old, but they didn't look young; they looked like what they were -- middle aged.

That's my impression I get from the news conference. That they looked young, but back then I remember how old they seemed. Old is in the eye of the beholder I guess would be another way of putting it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 04:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 13, 2018 09:43

Of course the main - but not the only - reason for the 1989 tour was to get really rich finally. That's why they used very commercial setlists to attract as many people as possible.

Date: February 13, 2018 10:02

That tour was really only their second tour at making MONEY.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 13, 2018 10:51

Ronnie around the 13.00 mark: weve got Matt Clifford and Chuck Levell.

Gotcha.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 13, 2018 13:57

GasLightStreet

According to publishings in mid-July of 1989 the tour was to start in Buffalo September 1 and Philly wasn't until Sept 21.

The dates mentioned here are correct. I was seeing these dates at the time, and assumed that Buffalo was 'locked in'.

Luckily, for me, it wasn't, and the fates conspired to end up with me sitting just behind Jo Wood, Shirley Watts (etc) in the stadium in Philly on opening night - elsewhere noted correctly as 31st August.

What a night.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 13, 2018 19:02

GasLightStreet

Yeah. But 1981 was 50% in arenas with just 8-20.000 capacity. Not enough to get very rich forever. 1989 was only big stadiums with the exception of East Troy and Atlantic City.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:08

For 1981 they made $50 million or so. That was A LOT back then. The stage was a bunch of wood, the backdrop was some old sheets... hardly a wardrobe... no big screens or any content that would happen 10 years later...

Ha ha. Just a bit sarcastic but you get the point.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:21

GasLightStreet
For 1981 they made $50 million or so. That was A LOT back then. The stage was a bunch of wood, the backdrop was some old sheets... hardly a wardrobe... no big screens or any content that would happen 10 years later...

+ they had a sponsor in 1981. Huge tour - before the giga stadium tours would be common practice for the biggest bands.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:47

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

+ they had a sponsor in 1981. Huge tour - before the giga stadium tours would be common practice for the biggest bands.
Jovan, right?

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: February 13, 2018 20:29

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Date: February 13, 2018 21:14

CaptainCorella
GasLightStreet

The dates mentioned here are correct. I was seeing these dates at the time, and assumed that Buffalo was 'locked in'.

Luckily, for me, it wasn't, and the fates conspired to end up with me sitting just behind Jo Wood, Shirley Watts (etc) in the stadium in Philly on opening night - elsewhere noted correctly as 31st August.

What a night.

Yep: very early reports had the initial dates listings of opening night at Rich Stadium in Buffalo, a single Philadelphia show at JFK Stadium for Sept 21 (scrubbed immediately after when city officials felt the iconic stadium had become unsafe), the New York shows at Giants Stadium instead of Shea Stadium, the Atlanta show at Fulton County Stadium instead of Bobby Dodd at Grant Field, the two Dallas shows taking place at Texas Stadium in nearby Irving instead of the Cotton Bowl, and a Denver date that looked to be at Folsom Field in Boulder instead of the Kansas City show, which eventually got that date on the tour.

Also, I agree about opening night: even if WW3 had never happened, and it hadn’t been almost a decade since the Stones toured, it still doesn’t take away the fact that the first show of the Steel Wheels tour was a great show in and of itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 21:26 by stevecardi.

Date: February 13, 2018 21:15

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet

Yeah. But 1981 was 50% in arenas with just 8-20.000 capacity. Not enough to get very rich forever. 1989 was only big stadiums with the exception of East Troy and Atlantic City.

And even then, East Troy was a 35,000+ show per night.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 13, 2018 22:11

the halfway point of the stones career is different depending on the subject matter.

if someone lives to 94, the halfway point of their life is 47, however in terms of achievements it could be anything,depending on what they done.

the stones midway point in terms of years, would be around the end of april 1990 but clearly the majority of time recording records and doing concerts was well before this.

the halfway point regarding released songs is around 1974, and regarding concerts is around 1967, but we have to consider many concerts from 1962 to 67 might only contain between 8 and 15 songs while later tours have been anything between 17 and 28. so its difficult to work out the exact midpoint if only counting songs or minutes on stage.

but it is weird to think when i got into the band in 1987, i thought they were finished and here we are over 3 decades later still going.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home