Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Glenn Tipton leaves Judas Priest...
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 12, 2018 15:38

Parkinsons... sad smiley

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Re: OT: Glenn Tipton leaves Judas Priest...
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 12, 2018 16:25

Was just going to post this. What a crummy development.

Tipton is a criminally underrated guitarist. I know many people consider heavy metal to be a joke genre, but Glenn has been incredibly tasteful and innovative over the decades.

I've seen Priest several times over the last 7-8 years, and his energy onstage has decreased dramatically. I put it up to aging, but he never looked quite right the last few tours. This explains it...I give him a lot of credit for hanging in there as long as he has.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 12, 2018 16:51

Father Time is a mother @#$%& er.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 12, 2018 17:15

They make it very clear: he doesn’l leave Judas Priest.

But, yeah, probably.
An absolute metal legend. Tipton-Downing, nothing beats that in metal.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 12, 2018 17:23

Another sad day for sure...

Been a massive Priest fan since my teen years...

My Dad took me and 3 buddies to see JP at Hara Arena in Dayton in July '81 as a 16th B-day present the first time I saw them... Epic show w/ Whitesnake and Iron Maiden on the Killers tour!

All I could get Dad to admit was the light show was pretty good!

Sad news when KK retired, and now this... But I fly the Priest flag, and I'll be there opening night in Wilkes Barre!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 12, 2018 18:18

Not the first time the band pulled this hustle, wait until tour tickets are sold to announce a founding guitarist won't be involved.

Date: February 12, 2018 18:50

Dan
Not the first time the band pulled this hustle, wait until tour tickets are sold to announce a founding guitarist won't be involved.
I am a bit annoyed about this. I'm going to see them next month and not seeing Glenn may have impacted me buying tickets. Andy Sneap is great, but without Glenn and KK it's REALLY pushing the bounds of being able to still call the band Judas Priest.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:07

Sorry to hear he's dealing with this. Somehow really got into "Screaming For Vengance" when it first came out.
I don't remember exactly how because I wasn't a particular fan of theirs, nor was I following 'metal,' particularly; tho I really like Hard Rock.
I realize those definition border-lines blur into each other here and there somewhat.

Anyway, really got into that album; and especially the twin guitar attack;
with either guitarist truly ripping off crisp soaring stuff with a lot
of passion and committment.

I'm just learning a little more about him thru this thread and the links,
but really respect his hard-earned total life-time work ethic....
...I'll use this as an excuse to ferret out some of their stunning work
from whatever decades. Wish him the best with a lot of respect for his
talent. And they were into their concept and delivery very, very early on; sort of defining the genre
as it developed in a lot of ways too; visually, sonically, thematically.
Certainly wish him well with a lot of respect.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:41

keefriff99
Dan
I am a bit annoyed about this. I'm going to see them next month and not seeing Glenn may have impacted me buying tickets. Andy Sneap is great, but without Glenn and KK it's REALLY pushing the bounds of being able to still call the band Judas Priest.

Yeah, come on Judas, don't take the Eagles, AC/DC, many other bands route these days of really pushing it. I like them a lot, but as with many bands part of their continued appeal was a full classic lineup. Rob Halford does not a Judas Priest make, important as he is as history shows. But thats pretty annoying, mainly because they have done this before.

Sad for Glenn though. Thats terrible and I wish him the best. Pat Torpey too was a sad loss the other day. Losing heroes, its not fun. But everyone's human, and thankfully most of these guys have been doing this way longer than anyone would have expected. Still sad.

Date: February 12, 2018 19:44

RollingFreak
keefriff99
Dan

Yeah, come on Judas, don't take the Eagles, AC/DC, many other bands route these days of really pushing it. I like them a lot, but as with many bands part of their continued appeal was a full classic lineup. Rob Halford does not a Judas Priest make, important as he is as history shows. But thats pretty annoying, mainly because they have done this before.

Sad for Glenn though. Thats terrible and I wish him the best. Pat Torpey too was a sad loss the other day. Losing heroes, its not fun. But everyone's human, and thankfully most of these guys have been doing this way longer than anyone would have expected. Still sad.
Rob, Ian Hill and Scott Travis are all awesome, and they're all original (or long-serving in Travis' case) members, but Glenn and KK's twin guitar assault was the KEY to Priest along with Rob's voice.

I was okay with Richie replacing KK because Glenn was always the more dominant guitarist of the two, but now with both gone, it's a really sad development.

Date: February 12, 2018 20:34

Question for any fans familiar with Andy Sneap's work as a guitarist...

Is he a rhythm player mostly? Only just checked out a couple HELL and Sabbat cuts on YT this morning after reading the news about Glenn Tipton.

Love his work producing the last few discs from Accept, been a massive fan of theirs for decades, too, but I haven't listened to Sneap as a guitarist at all, really...

Date: February 12, 2018 20:44

TKinOH
Question for any fans familiar with Andy Sneap's work as a guitarist...

Is he a rhythm player mostly? Only just checked out a couple HELL and Sabbat cuts on YT this morning after reading the news about Glenn Tipton.

Love his work producing the last few discs from Accept, been a massive fan of theirs for decades, too, but I haven't listened to Sneap as a guitarist at all, really...
I think Sneap played lead in Sabbat. He goes way back to the '80s.

He's an amazing metal producer. Everything he's done with Accept, Exodus, Testament, Kreator, Nevermore, etc. has been top-notch.

Date: February 12, 2018 21:22

Wow this stinks

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 12, 2018 23:28

Sad news for Priest fans. Other bands have continued on with replacement guitarists. Tommy Bolin replaced Blackmore in Deep Purple and now Steve Morse is their guitarist, both Leppard guitarists aren't the originals and in the early 80's Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay were Aerosmith's guitarists.
I first got into Priest with British Steel and saw them in Vancouver in 82 on the Screaming For Vengeance Tour. Saw them again 2 years later on the Defenders of the Faith Tour. Last saw them in 08 in Vancouver. Couple friends are going down to Seattle to see them in this tour.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: February 13, 2018 14:29

Man just need to put on the British Steel and Painkiller albums and remember the greatness that was the two guitar attack of Glenn Tipton and KK Downing.

Date: February 13, 2018 15:24

Iggyrichards
Man just need to put on the British Steel and Painkiller albums and remember the greatness that was the two guitar attack of Glenn Tipton and KK Downing.

Those two guys are on the wall in my basement...

Date: February 13, 2018 15:25

Kurt
Iggyrichards

GREAT pic.

Glenn and KK are one of the greatest guitar duos in rock history.

Date: February 13, 2018 17:43

Kurt

I'm guessing the pic is private property!

Date: February 13, 2018 18:51

FrogSugar
Kurt

I'm guessing the pic is private property!
Hands off!

I love Turbo in all its cheesy, synth-pop metal goodness.

Date: February 13, 2018 20:05

Date: February 13, 2018 20:10

1986 Tour
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 13, 2018 21:04

Glenn is the guy that made me pick up the guitar. I think I've seen Priest 14 times, at least once on every tour since 1980. This August would make it no 15.
Apparently he was diagnosed 10 years ago, at 60. So this is not an old age issue, which makes it extra bummer.
The comparison is a bit corny, but, with KK already gone a couple of years ago, this is, as it were, like the Stones announcing that, after Mick Taylors's departure, Keith no longer was playing with the band either (Brian Jones' departure notwithstanding of course).

Date: February 13, 2018 21:42

Rob says that Glenn only made the decision not to tour 5 days ago:

[www.blabbermouth.net]

This makes more sense. Who knows, maybe he'll turn up onstage when I see them next month. What a fantastic surprise that would be.

Date: February 13, 2018 21:43

SomeGuy
Glenn is the guy that made me pick up the guitar. I think I've seen Priest 14 times, at least once on every tour since 1980. This August would make it no 15.
Apparently he was diagnosed 10 years ago, at 60. So this is not an old age issue, which makes it extra bummer.
The comparison is a bit corny, but, with KK already gone a couple of years ago, this is, as it were, like the Stones announcing that, after Mick Taylors's departure, Keith no longer was playing with the band either (Brian Jones' departure notwithstanding of course).
It's not corny at all. If you're a die-hard metal fan, the guitar tandem of Glenn and KK is as iconic and important within the metal community as any tandem in the rock'n'roll world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 21:44 by keefriff99.

Date: February 13, 2018 22:16

keefriff99
SomeGuy
It's not corny at all. If you're a die-hard metal fan, the guitar tandem of Glenn and KK is as iconic and important within the metal community as any tandem in the rock'n'roll world.

Glenn and KK... the names are supposed to be revered in unison! Like Mick and Keith!

Their work together is there for all to see and hear, Metal followed their path without a doubt.

Richie Faulkner has been a great addition to the band, and I'm sure Andy Sneap will hold it down, too, but Glenn and KK on stage together were iconic.

Date: February 13, 2018 23:32

TKinOH
keefriff99
SomeGuy

Glenn and KK... the names are supposed to be revered in unison! Like Mick and Keith!

Their work together is there for all to see and hear, Metal followed their path without a doubt.

Richie Faulkner has been a great addition to the band, and I'm sure Andy Sneap will hold it down, too, but Glenn and KK on stage together were iconic.
Exactly. It's not only the how they sounded together, but how they moved onstage. The synchronized headbanging and guitar movements were a brilliant bit of stagecraft.

Richie is fantastic. He definitely won me over.

Date: February 13, 2018 23:41

keefriff99
TKinOH
keefriff99
SomeGuy

Exactly. It's not only the how they sounded together, but how they moved onstage. The synchronized headbanging and guitar movements were a brilliant bit of stagecraft.

Richie is fantastic. He definitely won me over.

I agree totally. The YT clips Richie has posted of his feed live on stage are just priceless!

And I have faith that Richie and Mr. Sneap will deliver the goods, or else the band wouldn't even attempt it.

Every time The Stones announce shows in the US, my bud and I discuss "What if they can't cut it?" And we always agree that they are highly-skilled professionals, and would never play live if they couldn't hold their own... And the same goes for Priest.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 14, 2018 03:21

Playing Stained Class now, what an amazing record!
News still sinking in.

Date: February 14, 2018 04:00

SomeGuy
News still sinking in.
Was listening to that today...Exciter, White Heat Red Hot, Better By You, Better Than Me, Saints in Hell...amazing!

Date: February 14, 2018 15:12

keefriff99
SomeGuy
News still sinking in.
Was listening to that today...Exciter, White Heat Red Hot, Better By You, Better Than Me, Saints in Hell...amazing!

I remember being shocked that Better by You is actually a cover, it's so Priestish!

Still surprised by the news...such a bummer way to begin the week.

At least we still have Maiden (but I prefer the Priest catalogue to theirs by a mile)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home