Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling with the Stones book
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: February 11, 2018 05:10

Just picked this up at a thrift shop. $20 great book. They had a let it bleed jig saw that I need to go back & get.

Re: Rolling with the Stones book
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 11, 2018 18:34

This one?

It's a fantastic book. It has a few detailed errors with small things like 'the 22nd US release of' when it was the 23rd or whatever, things like that.

But it's a great book. Things in it I've never seen anywhere else.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 11, 2018 18:40

Bill Wyman has some excellent books.
‘The Stones A History In Cartoons’ by Bill Wyman
and of course
his memoirs and pictures/ friendship with the Great artist Marc Chagall.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: February 11, 2018 18:42

That’s the one. Very enjoyable

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 11, 2018 18:45

I remember getting this book around the same time four flicks came out. Good times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 18:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2018 22:45

If ya wanna work out the photo credits I got a spare Enigma machine ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 12, 2018 01:01

one of my faves along with "Not Fade Away - The Rolling Stones Collection" by Geoffrey Giuliano, i like to spread them out on the floor as i play officials & bootlegs from the tours, also "A Life On The Road" has some brilliant pictures and set design details.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 12, 2018 01:45

Ace book.

Annoyed that they have 1969 photos in Beggars Banquet section though.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: February 12, 2018 04:53

Funny I was flicking through both this and "A Life On The Road" yesterday, after having not done so for years! Very enjoyable!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 12, 2018 05:12

SKILLS
one of my faves along with "Not Fade Away - The Rolling Stones Collection" by Geoffrey Giuliano, i like to spread them out on the floor as i play officials & bootlegs from the tours, also "A Life On The Road" has some brilliant pictures and set design details.

Mr Guiliano's book is one of my least favourite books.

Pick it up and see how long it takes you to find out who the collection he writes about actually belongs to! The owner of all that stuff was not treated at all well by Mr G.

I don't want BV to ban me so I'll not write what I really think about Mr G.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 12, 2018 07:17

Funny you brought this up. I picked up a copy at a used book store recently for $7.50 USD. I'd read it some years back but now I keep it in the bathroom and read a few pages at a time periodically. You get more of a feel what was going on behind the scenes. And there are little hints dropped as to what was happening with Brian. Bill and Brian were tight for some time, often room mates on the road, chasing birds together. Then something happened, but we don't know what. It seemed Bill & Charlie got tight after that, and the whole band distanced itself ever further from Brian.

Bill doesn't talk much about his bass playing. I would love to hear more, whether he had bass influences, or where he came up with certain things. It's a much better coffee table books than The Rolling Stones 50, or According To the Rolling Stones, neither of which have much gravitas beyond, "Oh, look. It's those hounds tooth jackets we all wore. Terrible, really."

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 12, 2018 08:12

CaptainCorella

Pick it up and see how long it takes you to find out who the collection he writes about actually belongs to! The owner of all that stuff was not treated at all well by Mr G.

Damn LOL I would love an email with the details. I'll shred my copy of it and email you a vid of me doing it if it dicked over collectors that contributed.

Date: February 12, 2018 10:35

It was one collector, Chris Eborn.

Date: February 12, 2018 14:37

It says "Chris Eborn would like to thank the following for their kind assistance with this project AND those who have helped to build up his collection" I was thinking that the collection was built up for the making of the book?

Date: February 12, 2018 14:48

From what I remember, no, I seem to recall that it as his own collection (Ironically I live in the UK now but have the book back in Chile, so I cannot check it). He was also featured prominently in the short-lived Encore magazine, which ran for very few issues in 1995. Does Chris Eborn post here?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 12, 2018 17:21

24FPS
Funny you brought this up. I picked up a copy at a used book store recently for $7.50 USD. I'd read it some years back but now I keep it in the bathroom and read a few pages at a time periodically. You get more of a feel what was going on behind the scenes. And there are little hints dropped as to what was happening with Brian. Bill and Brian were tight for some time, often room mates on the road, chasing birds together. Then something happened, but we don't know what. It seemed Bill & Charlie got tight after that, and the whole band distanced itself ever further from Brian.

Bill doesn't talk much about his bass playing. I would love to hear more, whether he had bass influences, or where he came up with certain things. It's a much better coffee table books than The Rolling Stones 50, or According To the Rolling Stones, neither of which have much gravitas beyond, "Oh, look. It's those hounds tooth jackets we all wore. Terrible, really."

'Something happened'.
Quite simple why Brian and Bill drifted apart.
1. Stopped touring
2. Drugs and alcohol

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 12, 2018 17:59

quite a lot more about that particular subject in Bill's book 'Stone Alone'..

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2018 18:10

This is one of the very few Stones' books that I have in Italian.

The translation is so bad that it cancels any possibility to enjoy the read.

Sooner or later I will have to buy the English version.

Another thing I don't like is the layout of the pages (too confused) and the low quality of the photos (again, low quality on the Italian version. Don't know the others).

C

Date: February 12, 2018 18:24

KeylockSanchezandCo
From what I remember, no, I seem to recall that it as his own collection (Ironically I live in the UK now but have the book back in Chile, so I cannot check it). He was also featured prominently in the short-lived Encore magazine, which ran for very few issues in 1995. Does Chris Eborn post here?

According to this he would not be posting anymore.
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 01:14 by nick.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 12, 2018 23:53

liddas
This is one of the very few Stones' books that I have in Italian.

The translation is so bad that it cancels any possibility to enjoy the read.

Sooner or later I will have to buy the English version.

Another thing I don't like is the layout of the pages (too confused) and the low quality of the photos (again, low quality on the Italian version. Don't know the others).

C

Must be the Italian version. The English language is meticulously laid out with high quality photos.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 17, 2018 16:00

CaptainCorella
SKILLS

Well very interesting, i noticed some inaccuracies, but the collection itself is pretty amazing.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 18, 2018 23:27

SKILLS
CaptainCorella
SKILLS

Well very interesting, i noticed some inaccuracies, but the collection itself is pretty amazing.

Yes.

That's because it's Chris Eborn's and he gets precious little credit for it from the awful Mr G.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home