Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: OT - 2018 Winter Olympics Games - PyeongChang S.Korea
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2018 18:55

The Sicilian
Well in four years it's back to China (Beijing) for the 2022 Winter Olympics games.

I hope then NHL players in ice hockey will be present again. For a big ice hockey fan like me it was a bit difficult to motivate myself to follow the games this time, since the teams were so second-standard (only Russia having some world-class players). That was no problem back in, say, the 80's when 'professionals' were not allowed to take part in Olympic Games (and of course, Soviet Union and Checkoslovakia had all their best players, and we Finns - and Swedes partly too - had not so many players in NHL yet), but now when used to (spoiledgrinning smiley) seeing the world best players in Olympic Games (four times in a row), it was a huge disappointment. It is so rare when we can see our best possible national teams on ice together.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 19:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 26, 2018 19:03

Yes. Who can forget 2006...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 26, 2018 19:04

Leonioid
The Olympics used to be a lot more fun back when they...
lasted a whole month, June 22 - July 22, and all of the athletes competed naked...
although there were numerous reports of athletes getting their dingalings caught up in ribbons and other thingsalings.

Fun fact...back in the day, married women weren’t allowed to attend, allegedly for fear of comparison. Unmarried women were allowed.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2018 19:09

Bjorn
Yes. Who can forget 2006...

No one... And only because of Saku Koivu's stick got broken in the face-off, you Swedes got the gold in the final...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 26, 2018 19:21

SomeTorontoGirl
Leonioid
The Olympics used to be a lot more fun back when they...
lasted a whole month, June 22 - July 22, and all of the athletes competed naked...
although there were numerous reports of athletes getting their dingalings caught up in ribbons and other thingsalings.

Fun fact...back in the day, married women weren’t allowed to attend, allegedly for fear of comparison. Unmarried women were allowed.

Well founded fear grinning smiley
That is an interesting and understandable fun fact.
These Olympians are basically perfect specimens of human form,
not many normal people bodies can hold a candle to the Olympic body.

....then again...
I would not want to be the husband trying to tell his wife she cant go watch... yikes!eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 19:26 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 26, 2018 20:20

Another interesting fact is that the first female athlete to light the cauldron was in the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. That was a very interesting Olympics...very politically-charged. Well, that was the sixties for you. There was documentary on NBC yesterday afternoon which aired right before the closing ceremonies that showed old footage and discussed the history of past Olympics. It's quite a fascinating event.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 26, 2018 21:45

Bellajane
Another interesting fact is that the first female athlete to light the cauldron was in the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. That was a very interesting Olympics...very politically-charged. Well, that was the sixties for you. There was documentary on NBC yesterday afternoon which aired right before the closing ceremonies that showed old footage and discussed the history of past Olympics. It's quite a fascinating event.

I saw that too Bellajane. That was a good documentary on the 68 games. I knew a lot of the info, but some of it was new and... some of it was very sad... but it was well worth watching. The 68 games was indeed as a "Very 60s Olympics".

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 26, 2018 21:55

Very violent times for sure. This Olympics is called the Peace Olympics. Let's hope something good comes out of it!smiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 26, 2018 22:23

Norway is always partly at stand-still during the 16 days the Olympics are on. Television and radio follow all important competitions live. I am not a superfan of sports myself, but I love skiing, and I love to see team effort, ice hockey, ski jumping, downhill racing and so on.

Every day I woke up in the morning we had won a new medal or three, and many days I was up at 6am to watch the most important competitions. I try not to be too nationalistic, and it was great to see USA winning the female team sprint cross country, Norway taking skating gold (we are back in skating), Germany ice hockey almost making it but luckily you can't win the olympics with defensive play all the way, Finland taking the mens 50 km cross country skiing medal, so deserved, and the most winning winter Olympics athlet ever Marit Bjørgen taking her 15th Winter Olympics medal on Sunday, her 8th gold olympics medal.

Norway have hosted the Winter Olympics in 1952 in Oslo and 1994 in Lillehammer. There was works to get the winter olympics to Tromsø, and also Oslo, but taxpayers said no, because somebody have to pay for the party. Most people in Norway are not fans of expensive and spectacular games. We used to be poor and hard working until the oil and fish industry boosted the economy, the same modest thinking is still there, we don't want to waste. Still, many think, and say, if you like to party, you should some times invite to a party yourself. I am sure Norway could host another scaled down Winter Olympics arragement some day. May be Lillehammer, may be Oslo. We don't need to build that much, we have venues, snow, more than three feet right now, and we will make sure all venues are packed with people.

So we will be back for Beijing in four years, until then we have to settle with the World Championships, they are good substitutions of the Winter Olympics. And I am sure that The Rolling Stones will still be on tour in 2022!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 27, 2018 16:10

But now we have the Paralympics coming up. Another couple of weeks of excitement!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 1, 2018 02:08

So, what happend to all the AOR medalists? They all recieved a German luxury car (BMW X6 for the gold medalists) and a bonus between
25 000 and 60 000 Euro. Russian dictator Mr Putin recieved the medalists in a ceremony in Kreml and uttered "Team Russias (ice-hockey)
gold was an enormous gift". His vassal, Prime Minister Medvedev handed over the German luxury cars to the athletes. All in all 140 cars.
Let's hope the cars weren't stolen (they often are...)
[www.aftonbladet.se]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 1, 2018 07:03

bv
Norway is always partly at stand-still during the 16 days the Olympics are on. Television and radio follow all important competitions live. I am not a superfan of sports myself, but I love skiing, and I love to see team effort, ice hockey, ski jumping, downhill racing and so on.

Every day I woke up in the morning we had won a new medal or three, and many days I was up at 6am to watch the most important competitions. I try not to be too nationalistic, and it was great to see USA winning the female team sprint cross country, Norway taking skating gold (we are back in skating), Germany ice hockey almost making it but luckily you can't win the olympics with defensive play all the way, Finland taking the mens 50 km cross country skiing medal, so deserved, and the most winning winter Olympics athlet ever Marit Bjørgen taking her 15th Winter Olympics medal on Sunday, her 8th gold olympics medal.

Norway have hosted the Winter Olympics in 1952 in Oslo and 1994 in Lillehammer. There was works to get the winter olympics to Tromsø, and also Oslo, but taxpayers said no, because somebody have to pay for the party. Most people in Norway are not fans of expensive and spectacular games. We used to be poor and hard working until the oil and fish industry boosted the economy, the same modest thinking is still there, we don't want to waste. Still, many think, and say, if you like to party, you should some times invite to a party yourself. I am sure Norway could host another scaled down Winter Olympics arragement some day. May be Lillehammer, may be Oslo. We don't need to build that much, we have venues, snow, more than three feet right now, and we will make sure all venues are packed with people.

So we will be back for Beijing in four years, until then we have to settle with the World Championships, they are good substitutions of the Winter Olympics. And I am sure that The Rolling Stones will still be on tour in 2022!

Very well said BV.

Speaking of fish, there is a show on PBS that I watch called New Scandinavian Cooking hosted by Andreas Viestad. I love that show. They cook dishes outside throughout Norway in the countryside, on fishing docks, in the mountains and use local ingredients, wild flowers, herbs and plenty of fish. Lots of scenery. It's a beautiful country.

Date: March 1, 2018 10:02

The Sicilian
bv

Very well said BV.

Speaking of fish, there is a show on PBS that I watch called New Scandinavian Cooking hosted by Andreas Viestad. I love that show. They cook dishes outside throughout Norway in the countryside, on fishing docks, in the mountains and use local ingredients, wild flowers, herbs and plenty of fish. Lots of scenery. It's a beautiful country.

I had an allotment, right next to Viestad's in Oslo. He really knows his stuff. He's really good. Let me put it this way: I wouldn't dare to show him my harvest smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-01 10:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home