Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: OT - 2018 Winter Olympics Games - PyeongChang S.Korea
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:21

Wow, Ester Ledecka, gold in two different sports! thumbs up (Nobody more surprised than her, I'm sure.)

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:23

Aquamarine
Wow, Ester Ledecka, gold in two different sports! thumbs up (Nobody more surprised than her, I'm sure.)

Very impressive and I think she is the first to do that! HUGE PROPS!

Meanwhile... right now.... THERES A GAGGLE OF ROCKS IN DA HOUZE!!!! (must be curling) grinning smiley fun!

All that screaming and sweeping!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-24 09:25 by Leonioid.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 24, 2018 13:57

TooTough
Wow, a miracle: thumbs up

Germany in the (ice) hockey men's final after beating Sweden and Canada is more sensational then if the man from Tahiti or the Jamaican bob sled had made it in the top 10!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 24, 2018 14:48

not huge on the olympics but i will confess i have enjoyed the Ester Ledecka story. i just happened to tune in when she won the ski event. pretty amazing story. seems like a nice young woman too.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 24, 2018 17:25

Don't know squat re curling, but the match last night between the Japanese and South Korean women was pretty cool, IMHO. Lots of strategizing on both sides. Even though I generally don't watch sports, will have to watch the women's match for curling gold today.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 24, 2018 17:50

I'm disappointed that the American female figure skaters didn't do that well in the final skate. I was hoping that Mirai Nagasu would have gotten the bronze. I knew the 2 Russian skaters (or the OARs) would get the gold and silver. Oh well...better luck in 4 years!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 24, 2018 18:08

JJHMick
TooTough
Wow, a miracle: thumbs up

Germany in the (ice) hockey men's final after beating Sweden and Canada is more sensational then if the man from Tahiti or the Jamaican bob sled had made it in the top 10!

But some skills are necessary, too:

"Germany scored again at 6:49 with a
David Wolf stretch pass finding Marcel Goc.
Digging Goc's pass out from between his legs,
Mauer beat Poulin from in front." smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:30

Congrats to Finland and Iivo Niskanen for the gold on the men's 50 km cross-country skiing. A true test of endurance.
And a smart move changing skis on the last 10 km. Finland's first gold this olympics and their first on 50 km
cross-country since Squaw Valley 1960. So, well deserved!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:39

Congratulations to Iivo Niskanen and Finland for winning the gold medal on the 50 km classic cross country skiing today. Very impressing! I followed the race from start 6am to finish shortly after 8am local time Norway this morning, and sure this was a true hard work win for Niskanen. Well deserved!

Bjornulf

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 24, 2018 21:36

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 17:36 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 25, 2018 01:34

Stoneage

And a smart move changing skis on the last 10 km.

The question was nothing of smartness but that of necessity - his skis were totally non-functional by then; he would done that earlier but didn't because he was afraid that it might snow (so he left that option for the last round). The Russian guy, by contrast, was an idiot for not changing skis /he could have). By the way, afterwards the Russian hero, when talking to his own press, showed some true Olympic spirits: he was bitter because when he reached Iivonen, the Finnish skier acted like he was tired. Putin's warrior, the guy claimed, wouldn't ever 'cheated' like that. So wrongly won by Iivonen .grinning smiley

Anyway, let's wait for the results of doping tests before start any bigger celebrations. No matter if it will take some years. Kudos for Sundby for not achieving a personal gold. Extra kudos for Juhaug for not being present. So I guess it was alright games.

To the great memory of:

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 01:43 by Doxa.

Date: February 25, 2018 01:53

I trust you, Doxa. I must admit I didn't watch it. I was listening to it sporadically on the radio. I heard from a friend though that Niskanen refused to pull in front. Which isn't exactly sportmanlike.
As a Swede I tend to root for Finland though. Especially since they haven't done too well this Winter Olympics. I hope he makes the doping test. Otherwise...

Date: February 25, 2018 02:22

Date: February 25, 2018 02:36

Stoneage
I heard from a friend though that Niskanen refused to pull in front. Which isn't exactly sportmanlike.
As a Swede I tend to root for Finland though. Especially since they haven't done too well this Winter Olympics. I hope he makes the doping test. Otherwise...

Your friend watched some other event. Or you Swedish just try to find something negative in any Finnish achievement (when it very rarely happens to happen haha)... Niskanen led the whole thing about most of the race - he ran away after 18 kms, only one Belorussian (?) guy able to follow him somehow (to be dead tired finally, ending up to 15th or something)). It was just before the last 10 kilometers when Bolshunov, the Russian, finally was able to catch him, being at worst about 25 seconds behind Niskanen. Then Putin's warrior took over for some kilometers (leading about 10 seconds at best when Iivonen changed his gear), but about two kilometesr before the finish line he was totally forceless when Iivonen made his move. It wasn't even close.

Finland has done quite okay. Five medals (one gold, four bronzes), which is about what was expected for. We are not any superpower what goes for winter sports (or anything, actually).

But yeah, let's see how the medal winners pass future's doping tests... of course, we Finnish are not just lesser human beings by natural physicality, but cheaters by nature, famous for our dishonesty worldwide, unlike you, our dear neighbours Sweden & Norway...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 02:43 by Doxa.

Date: February 25, 2018 03:00

Okey, as I said I didn't watch it. You brought up the doping scenario. I just commented on that. I'm sure he's clean. Anything else would be unwise. I was just glad too see Finland winning gold in these games.
"Cheaters by nature"! How do you comment on that? I'm sure you're joking? By the way, it's the Russians and the Norwegians who are getting the heat these days.
The Finnish debacle is long time forgotten by now...

Date: February 25, 2018 03:37

Leonioid
February 21, 2018 16:41
The next event I have never seen, but am looking forward to, is MASS START speed skating. I don't know exactly what that means, but I think it is kind of like snow cross on ice! It is on Saturday... for the first time ever in the Olympics!

Mass Start Speed Skating [www.pyeongchang2018.com]

Start Time Event Status
20:00 Ladies' Mass Start Semifinal 1
20:15 Ladies' Mass Start Semifinal 2
20:45 Men's Mass Start Semifinal 1
21:00 Men's Mass Start Semifinal 2
21:30 Ladies' Mass Start Final for the MEADALS!
22:00 Men's Mass Start Final for the MEDALS!

I have been waiting excited to see this event and NBC blew it... of course.

They were supposed to show it this afternoon, but instead did some silly thing about ice skating from 50 years ago...
and tricked me into having it on (muted) while waiting to see the mass start... then they never showed it.

Then tonight they finally show it... but only show the finals? WTF NBC?
Seems they have to save time to show more skating tonight... but first... another Vonn interview.. yaaaawn.

I think I read that mass start speed skating is a big sport in some parts of the world where pros skate for money.
It looks interesting (could be exciting) but I didn't learn a damn thing about it based on the NBC coverage. That is shame.

I guess I will go back and find the recording of the full event with the semi finals (which I read were more exciting than the finals).

NBC tries too hard sometimes... less (producing and decisions) would be more.
Let the events shine on their own without a lot of extra crap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 03:39 by Leonioid.

Date: February 25, 2018 03:45

oh well... as long as they show the bob sleigh finals live...
then they can do the silly 14 20 hour delay on the closing ceremony.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 25, 2018 06:53

Doxa
Stoneage
I heard from a friend though that Niskanen refused to pull in front. Which isn't exactly sportmanlike.

Your friend watched some other event. Or you Swedish just try to find something negative in any Finnish achievement (when it very rarely happens to happen haha)... Niskanen led the whole thing about most of the race - he ran away after 18 kms, only one Belorussian (?) guy able to follow him somehow (to be dead tired finally, ending up to 15th or something)). It was just before the last 10 kilometers when Bolshunov, the Russian, finally was able to catch him, being at worst about 25 seconds behind Niskanen. Then Putin's warrior took over for some kilometers (leading about 10 seconds at best when Iivonen changed his gear), but about two kilometesr before the finish line he was totally forceless when Iivonen made his move. It wasn't even close.

Is there a way to watch the event over again? I missed it too. How were the announcers at the end?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 25, 2018 07:14

The Americans stun Sweden and win gold in Mens Curling. It was the Americans first ever gold in the event.

Swedish skipper Niklas Edin played a hit and roll to slip inside the cluster of American stones, but John Shuster responded with a double takeout that left five US stones all alone in the house, sending the partisan American crowd at the Gangneung Curling Centre into hysterics

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 25, 2018 10:07

It's amazing how curling's profile has shot through the roof during these Olympics, even before the US men won gold. I still don't totally understand it (see also: cricket), but it's been really exciting to watch. (Though I don't think anything could beat the women's hockey final for excitement. grinning smiley )

Date: February 25, 2018 11:55

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 17:30 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 25, 2018 12:41

UrbanSteel

The "Dutch" PyeonChang 2018 gold, silver and bronze medals.

Would you please stop it?

Date: February 25, 2018 12:51

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 17:30 by UrbanSteel.

Date: February 25, 2018 13:16

Dammit, the second Miracle on Ice was close. A great tournament by German ice hockey team.

Congrats to Mrs. Olympic Games Marit Björgen. An incredible performance in the 30 km classic cross country skiing, adding to an incredible career! But so sad what happened to Austria's Teresa Stadlober - she lost a sure medal by taking the wrong route. How on earth that can happen? Finland's Krista Pärmäkoski, skiing just behind her, should have shouted to her, or do something, but she didn't. That was not nice.

- Doxa

Date: February 25, 2018 15:24

Marit Bjørgen became the best winter olympic athlete ever, when she won the women's 30 km cross country-skiing today.

She's had her ups and downs, but always came back on the winning side. She always treated her competitors with respect as well, be it athletes who were convicted for taking performance-enhancing drugs as Kowalzcyk, Kuitunen, Lazutina, Varis and others. She was nice to them, and showed empathetic skills.

She also made Johaug, Jacobsen, Weng and other skiers better, by sharing of her own experiences.

She's always up there, fighting for the medals, instead of merely winning every 10th race.

A real role model, who will be rightfully honoured in the closing ceremony tonight.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 25, 2018 15:39

New York Times... Congrats Norway. grinning smiley

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: February 25, 2018 15:40

So many great moments over 2 weeks as I watched these 2018 games... Good job world athletes!

I am happy with good ole Red Garard for earning our first Gold.
The flying tomato for having the eye of the tiger and getting it done when he needed to, that was a "moment".
I am delighted with Kikkan Randall and Jessica Diggins for their cross country ski Gold.
Of course all of our athletes who competed in these games, no matter their results...
Sometimes the margin is so close, slivers of a second, that they all deserve Gold smiling smiley

But I am most pleased with the USA teams which greatly exceeded expectations! The USA Womens hockey team and The USA Mens Curling team came together and took Gold! Both teams needed everyone working together so when "The Shot" happened(both events had a "The Shot" which I will remember when I am 95 years old!) that shot mattered... and counted HUGE!

Overall great 2018 games!
I guess the reason I like the Olympics so much is it indicates that we are doing OK as a planet and are currently in peaceful enough times that we can come together and play games.

Date: February 25, 2018 15:57

Leonioid

I guess the reason I like the Olympics so much is it indicates that we are doing OK as a planet and are currently in peaceful enough times that we can come together and play games.

thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: February 25, 2018 16:00

smiling smiley

Date: February 25, 2018 17:07

Doxa
Leonioid

thumbs up

- Doxa

thumbs up thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home