Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: OT - 2018 Winter Olympics Games - PyeongChang S.Korea
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 12, 2018 16:55

For my part, women's figure skating is my favorite event of the Olympics. I'm routing for Mirai Nagasu but I think one of the Russian skaters...Alina and/or Evengia??...will win the gold. They both are terrific skaters. What's up with Russia anyway? They were banned from this Olympic Games but some athletes were eventually allowed to compete under the Olympic Flag. Are their medals still considered a win for Russia?

Date: February 12, 2018 17:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 10:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:29

Can't wait to finally see some downhill action tonight...

Date: February 12, 2018 21:23

BamaStone

yeah, everything's been postponed

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 12, 2018 22:48

Bellajane
For my part, women's figure skating is my favorite event of the Olympics. I'm routing for Mirai Nagasu but I think one of the Russian skaters...Alina and/or Evengia??...will win the gold. They both are terrific skaters. What's up with Russia anyway? They were banned from this Olympic Games but some athletes were eventually allowed to compete under the Olympic Flag. Are their medals still considered a win for Russia?

If I was from Russia I would be more proud of these athletes than ever before because they are earning medals while being under more scrutiny then any athletes ever before. They faced more pressure and jumped through more hoops than any athletes at the games.

Heck... I am not from Russia I am super proud of them. They epitomize the spirit of the Olympic games. They train so hard for so long and they made sure they are cleaner than anyone else there... to represent their country in the world games.

It is a very sad state of affairs what happened to Russians officially as far as doping.... what in the world were they thinking?

Who do they think they were kidding? The Olympics does not mess around. They keep body samples from many many Olympics back and as testing techniques improve they test again anf they can tell who cheated 20 years ago... and although I have not looked in to very hard (it makes me very sad) I guess the newer tests indicate that people in charge of Russian atletes were in on a massive cheating scheme.

Or maybe it was a difference of opinion on what is cheating... I don't know, but I am not hearing much complaining out of Russia about how they were being treated unfairly (although that could have something to do with biased news services).

At any rate... I am very proud of the Russian athletes earning (there is no winning... this is not the lottery or bingo, nobody "wins", it is not a prize, they earn it) medals than any of the athletes. They had to prove more than anyone.

I am proud of all of the athletes at the Olympics. They are amazing. Even the ones who come in last.

Date: February 12, 2018 22:48

How about this luge!!! What a bunch crazy sledding! I have to relearn it every 4 years, then I remember it is all about staying within a 1 inch line all the way down the track.

Some make it look so easy, almost boring (because they are so good), one might wonder how hard can sledding be?.... and then HOLYCRAP!!! A less skilled sledder heads into turn 9 (the most dangerous curve on this track) and at 90MPH things go hay wire, the sled goes airborn, sideways, upside down!!! whoa nelly!!!

I love the winter games!

Date: February 12, 2018 22:51

keefriffhard4life
BamaStone

yeah, everything's been postponed

dang wind... they need to anticipate it, allow it to clam down and then events to fully play out. They have 2 weeks. Forget tickets, forget TV schedules... let the kids have their fulls events, every run. Unless I am missing a reason they cant delay the event a full week. It doesn't seem to be the snow will melt... these games seem to be the coldest in recent memory.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 12, 2018 23:06

Palace Revolution 2000
Aquamarine
Side note--for me here in the US, anyway, the time difference seems to be working out really well, given that all the events I've followed so far seem to be live, and during prime time. Does that mean that the skating was happening in the morning in S. Korea? ( Btw I love Tara Lipinski and Johnny Muir.)

The snowboarding tonight was really awesome, the sort of thing I find it amazing that other humans can do.

Yes I think that is who I was wanting to post about;is Johnny Muir the funky gay dude with the crazy hair? I love that guy. He knows that sport well, and is a good commentator.
The ads are crazy, but that isn't what gets to me. I know I am in the US, but that doesn't mean that all I care about is the US athlete who finished 10th, vs, the Armenian guy who came in first.

Yes, that's Johnny Muir. He was a champion skater himself, really knows his stuff as well as being entertaining.

I agree, sometimes the focus on American athletes tends to eclipse what other athletes are doing. It's like tennis, they will televise a match between #78 and #185 in the world because one of them is American, while on another court #4 is battling #6 unseen. I care about the American athletes, but they're not the whole story. (E.g., go Canadian skaters!)

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 12, 2018 23:32

Johnny Weir!
Paired with Tara Lipinski...pure gold.

Tracking Johnny Weir's Outfits

Date: February 12, 2018 23:57

DandelionPowderman
~original

FYI DPM- Im not sure if you know, or maybe you can see it, but this picture is not showing up for me. I would like to see it. It says something about 3rd party hosting declined

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 13, 2018 00:19

Bellajane
What's up with Russia anyway? They were banned from this Olympic Games but some athletes were eventually allowed to compete under the Olympic Flag. Are their medals still considered a win for Russia?

That's a very interesting aspect! And I don'Ät knwo the answer but those in charge will have an answer that will be worth a discussion.
If you look up a former page there is a medal table that has Germany and Eastern Germany.

Well, I am German but I have to make up my mind in that matter...
Ok, there was an East Germany from 1949 to 1990 but they only participated under that name from 1968 to 1988. From 1956 to 1964 there was a common West plus East team but their successes are seemingly only accounted to the West?!
But: Those "German" statistics are made up of not only the West medals from 1968 onwards but also of the common ones from 1956 plus the ones of the Weimar Democracy Germany (1924 to 1932) plus the @#$%& one (1936). Btw, the Summer Olympics statistics go as far back as the German Kaiserreich.

My country should rather be called "countries"... as it changed flag, anthem and capital in that whole period a few times.
So, I think the Russian Empire/USSR/Association of former Soviet States plus 1990 after states Medal Mathematics have an even worse riddle to solve.

To make things more absurd, here an example from football: The DFB (German Football Association) counts four matches before WWI against England, the FA doesn't as "that were amateur teams". The effect of that: England sees an overall draw whereas Germany feels to be three defeats worse...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 13, 2018 01:53

Leonioid
How about this luge!!! What a bunch crazy sledding!

I dunno, I think some of those lugers were frolicking. smoking smiley

Date: February 13, 2018 02:04

SomeTorontoGirl
Leonioid
How about this luge!!! What a bunch crazy sledding!

I dunno, I think some of those lugers were frolicking. smoking smiley

grinning smiley When they get going sideways airborne upside-down... they sure are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 07:51 by Leonioid.

Date: February 13, 2018 02:19

Good stuff today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 07:49 by Leonioid.

Date: February 13, 2018 02:26

I guess some of the times are off... or delayed... who knows... maybe the answer is blowing in the wind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 03:05 by Leonioid.

Date: February 13, 2018 03:22

Watching the womens snowboarding... WOW!!

GO CHLOE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 03:27 by Leonioid.

Date: February 13, 2018 07:59

I was cracking up watching the snowboard dudes push each other...
push each other... and push each other some more. They were not screwing around.

I only check in with them every 4 years... and they have gotten BIG!

To take it higher they may have to add shooting to the half pipe tricks...
call it the triathlon... BIG AIR!!! BIG TRICKS!!!! and HIT THE TARGET!!!

Date: February 13, 2018 08:29

and then skeleton... w t f ? the camera can not even keep up with the slider.

I had to look up to remind myself how they steer... uhm, they dont steer...
No steering, no brakes... the sliders "use subtle weight shifts in their heads and bodies".... alrighty then.... 80mph/130kph, head first, going so fast the camera is only on on for 1/2 second per shot... thats nuts... thats nuts... thats nuts... thats nuts...

Date: February 13, 2018 09:27

Leonioid
DandelionPowderman
~original

FYI DPM- Im not sure if you know, or maybe you can see it, but this picture is not showing up for me. I would like to see it. It says something about 3rd party hosting declined

Thanks!

Seems like the "~original" loophole has been covered by Photobucket angry smiley

Date: February 13, 2018 11:13

DandelionPowderman
Thanks!

Seems like the "~original" loophole has been covered by Photobucket angry smiley

My pleasure to assist the good guys DPM...
HAPPY MARDI GRAS TO YA! smileys with beer (that view will be fun later today, or now.. or later... sometimes there no tellin drinking smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 11:19 by Leonioid.

Date: February 13, 2018 15:44

Leonioid
push each other... and push each other some more. They were not screwing around.

yeah the snowboarding mens competition is no joke this year

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:47

South Korea is 8 hours before us (Sweden) which means really bad live air time here. Between 01:00 and 14:00. In the middle of the night or forenoon.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:48

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-28 17:37 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:58

keefriffhard4life
Leonioid

AND... (at least according to the announcers I was hearing last night (EST USA)... those guys were supposedly HOLDING BACK their best for the actual competition and only doing as much as necessary during the prelims! If what I saw was "holding back" the finals should be spectacular! And or INSANE!

Go USA!

Go World!

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2018 16:29

Lions in Holland? I thought the largest predator in Holland was the hedgehog...

Date: February 13, 2018 18:50

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
Leonioid

AND... (at least according to the announcers I was hearing last night (EST USA)... those guys were supposedly HOLDING BACK their best for the actual competition and only doing as much as necessary during the prelims! If what I saw was "holding back" the finals should be spectacular! And or INSANE!

Go USA!

Go World!

Peace,
Mr. DJA

yes that is what they said

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 13, 2018 18:57

Kurt
Johnny Weir!
Paired with Tara Lipinski...pure gold.

Tracking Johnny Weir's Outfits

Hunger Games smoking smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 13, 2018 22:12

I think Johnny and Tara are cute together. They've created a rather nice post-Olympic career for themselves and despite all the fun and fashion, I like their skating commentaries. They know what they're talking about from the inside out.

Date: February 13, 2018 23:10

keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
Leonioid

Go USA!

Go World!

Peace,
Mr. DJA

yes that is what they said
right on guys! I agreesmileys with beer

I found it very interesting about the half pipe mind games... wanting to win the qualifying to be able to choose to be last man down the half pipe in the competition etc. Holding back tricks, while wanting to qualify, but wanting have something "special" to blow the judges away... and if Sean White is alst man down he will know how much risk to take (how much risk IS REQUIRED!) to have to beat the other guys who scores are set and see the tricks they are did and what is needed to WIN GOLD!!!

The commentators did a good job explaining all of that.

Last night was a good night for watching. NBC did a good job.

But still.... NBC missed things...
I agree with BellaJane about there being so many channels available these days, like 20 shopping channels on Over The Air TV, one would think once every 4 years they could let loose for 2 weeks and show ALL the various events on some of those channels. These kids work their asses off to be there, they deserve to be seen by everyone without having to hsssule to find the events somewhere.

I love these games! Watching the BEST IN THE WORLD!!! do their things. Striving to be the best 3 out of 8 BILLION HUMANS. I like all of the events. I was mesmerized by the cross country skiers sprinting the asses off. I was hypnotized by the crazy skeleton human rockets. Nothing short of perfection comes in 1 2 3 in the Olympics... where often the difference between GOLD BEST IN THE WORLD and 30th place is a fraction of a second.

TL/DR I am enjoying these games smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2018 23:21

Gotta love it when an athlete comes along and changes the game by doing something different like Norways Johannes Hoesflot KLAEBO. From what they said Klaebo decided RUN/SKIING in parts of the cross country skiing race was a better methods, even when they told him YOU'RE DOING IT WORNG!! He did his way... AND IT PAID!

Bravo Klaebo!!! GOLD!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home