Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Looking back on The Rock And Roll Circus
Date: February 10, 2018 17:47

IMO, all the Stones songs were excellent, except for YCAGWYW.

Taj Mahal was by far the best performer, while the Who and Dirty Mac also were good, imo.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: February 11, 2018 04:14

For the Morrison analogy:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2018 05:23

BJPortugal

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

I was semi-obsessed with the Doors in '78/'79 while in High School having grown up in Santa Monica (just north of Venice). The blues bus he sings about in The End was inspired by the Santa Monica Municipal Bus line aka the the big blue bus. We used to meet in the back of it on the way home from school and occasionally smoke a bowl in Jim's honor! The line from L.A. Woman "I see her hair is burning, hills are filled with fire" was inspired by the Malibu/Topanga Canyon fire of 1970 - a massive blaze I vividly remember seeing as flames and smoke were pumping out of the mountains just to the north. My first memories of the Doors was probably hearing Light My Fire on the radio as a young'un (as well as Jose Felicianos version lol). And when we were kids, my older brother and I would take the bus to the Santa Monica Mall just about every weekend - in '71 he bought the Love Her Madly single when it was released and we listened to it for days on end. Then he bought the entire L.A. Woman album - whenever I hear Riders on the Storm I'm transported right back to those days.
But enough of that reminiscing...got a bit sidetracked there...

Some of those Morrison moves in the video above definitely have similarities with what Jagger was doing...going from James Brown and Tina Turner to Jim Morrison was quite a leap!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 11, 2018 05:44

Hairball
BJPortugal

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

I was semi-obsessed with the Doors in '78/'79 while in High School having grown up in Santa Monica (just north of Venice). The blues bus he sings about in The End was inspired by the Santa Monica Municipal Bus line aka the the big blue bus. We used to meet in the back of it on the way home from school and occasionally smoke a bowl in Jim's honor! The line from L.A. Woman "I see her hair is burning, hills are filled with fire" was inspired by the Malibu/Topanga Canyon fire of 1970 - a massive blaze I vividly remember seeing as flames and smoke were pumping out of the mountains just to the north. My first memories of the Doors was probably hearing Light My Fire on the radio as a young'un (as well as Jose Felicianos version lol). And when we were kids, my older brother and I would take the bus to the Santa Monica Mall just about every weekend - in '71 he bought the Love Her Madly single when it was released and we listened to it for days on end. Then he bought the entire L.A. Woman album - whenever I hear Riders on the Storm I'm transported right back to those days.

Some of those Morrison moves in the video above definitely have similarities with what Jagger was doing...going from James Brown and Tina Turner to Jim Morrison was quite a leap!

Hi Hairball: This is OT but can you answer the meaning of this gem: The Doors - The WASP/Texas Radio and The Big Beat - [LA Woman Album 40th anniversary].

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2018 06:14

shattered
Hairball
BJPortugal

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Hi Hairball: This is OT but can you answer the meaning of this gem: The Doors - The WASP/Texas Radio and The Big Beat - [LA Woman Album 40th anniversary].

All I know for sure is it's about a radio station haha. Again, I was semi-obsessed, not totally obsessed!!
Here's what songfacts.com has to say:

The WASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat)

"Texas Radio" refers to high power Mexican radio stations that blasted into Texas in the 1950s. Not restricted by American regulations these stations, whose call letters started with X, could have up to 150,000 watts. Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek both heard Wolfman Jack on one.

The verse, "Comes out of the Virginia swamps cool and slow with plenty of precision with a back beat narrow and hard to master" is most likely a reference to Morrison's first real experience with the music scene. From 1958 to 1960 Morrison lived in Alexandria, Virginia and frequented the Juke Joints (blues clubs) on Route 1 just north of Fort Belvoir where Black Blues musicians would play on Friday and Saturday nights. That area where the Juke Joints used to be is right on the eastern edge of a swamp. In 1968, the lyrics were published in a Doors souvenir book. Morrison's vocal was double-tracked to make it stand out. The phrase "Stoned Immaculate" came from a lyric in this song: "Out here we is stoned immaculate." That phrase became the title for a 2000 Doors tribute album featuring the surviving members as well as Aerosmith, The Cult, Chrissie Hynde, and others.

And via wiki:

"The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)" is a reworking of Morrison's sample of poetry first appearing on the group's souvenir books in 1968. Combining double-tracked spoken word, the song foreshadowed the poetic readings Morrison posthumously revealed on An American Prayer. To highlight the melancholy of "The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)", Densmore devised an early use of synthesized drums."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2018 08:29

The Rockin' Machine -- Florida 1956 ..................

ROCKMAN

Date: February 11, 2018 08:49

The Rockin' Machine -- Gold Lame days ..... 1957 ............

ROCKMAN

Date: February 11, 2018 09:24

Archie Brownlee out front of Five Blind Boys of Mississippi ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 11, 2018 16:01

Hairball
shattered
Hairball
BJPortugal

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

All I know for sure is it's about a radio station haha. Again, I was semi-obsessed, not totally obsessed!!
Here's what songfacts.com has to say:

The WASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat)

"Texas Radio" refers to high power Mexican radio stations that blasted into Texas in the 1950s. Not restricted by American regulations these stations, whose call letters started with X, could have up to 150,000 watts. Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek both heard Wolfman Jack on one.

The verse, "Comes out of the Virginia swamps cool and slow with plenty of precision with a back beat narrow and hard to master" is most likely a reference to Morrison's first real experience with the music scene. From 1958 to 1960 Morrison lived in Alexandria, Virginia and frequented the Juke Joints (blues clubs) on Route 1 just north of Fort Belvoir where Black Blues musicians would play on Friday and Saturday nights. That area where the Juke Joints used to be is right on the eastern edge of a swamp. In 1968, the lyrics were published in a Doors souvenir book. Morrison's vocal was double-tracked to make it stand out. The phrase "Stoned Immaculate" came from a lyric in this song: "Out here we is stoned immaculate." That phrase became the title for a 2000 Doors tribute album featuring the surviving members as well as Aerosmith, The Cult, Chrissie Hynde, and others.

And via wiki:

"The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)" is a reworking of Morrison's sample of poetry first appearing on the group's souvenir books in 1968. Combining double-tracked spoken word, the song foreshadowed the poetic readings Morrison posthumously revealed on An American Prayer. To highlight the melancholy of "The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)", Densmore devised an early use of synthesized drums."

Thanks Hairball.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 11, 2018 16:13

Jim Morrison renewed the rock singer performance and their music, the real rock theatre inspired Gimme Shelter and Rambler. Not that Stones stole it. Reed and VU was another inspiration. Overall and on Stray cat - not just the intro but the vocals and the lyrics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 16:14 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: February 11, 2018 21:02

Frank Sinatra (the crooning, especially) and Elvis Presley were great references for Morrison's performances. No doubt that Elvis movements clearly inspired Morrison and a whole generation of future lead singers. But ironically, by 1968, we see that with Jim Morrison's emergence as a model for lead singers (stage movements, hair, leather pants), even Elvis was adopting that leather pants look (Elvis Special Comeback); or Jagger in Performance film -looking and hair- (and in Rock and Roll Circus as we have seen). And the presence of Jagger at the Hollywood Bowl in July 68 was not innocent either (too bad for Jagger that Morrison was static that day).

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 13, 2018 01:20

Great pics Rockman. Puts it all in perspective.. The King!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home