Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Value of Signed Copy of Life
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 8, 2018 21:45

Does anyone know what a signed copy of Keith's "Life” might be worth? Not that I'm selling!

Re: Value of Signed Copy of Life
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 8, 2018 22:04

If you're not selling, yours is priceless.

Some sellers on eBay seem to think that their copies are worth between $250 and $1200. Not many bidders seem to agree with them though.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 8, 2018 22:26

Depends on whether you have had it authenticated or can prove Keef actually signed it I think. I have seen signed copies offered in the $500-1000+ range on ebay for books signed on the title page.

If memory serves me I believe there was some controversy a while back about some copies in Great Britain offered by a book seller being auto penned and not actually hand signed by Keef in which case it is only worth the price of a used book.

Did you witness the the signing or have some way to know it is authentic? If not you may want to get it authenticated by an autograph service. If you are sure Keef signed it and never plan to sell then authentication may not be worth it.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 9, 2018 17:01

Thanks for the replies. I know the signature is genuine because I gave it to Keith to sign at Waterstones bookshop in London.
As I said in the original post,it's not for sale but I'm curious abou its value nonetheless .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 9, 2018 17:25

A load of us from IORR went up to Waterstones for the Keith signing and then we had our photo taken holding up our signed books in front of a Keith poster inside the store. As far as proof goes that should be pretty conclusive.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:42

That was well worth the 12 hour queue. There were some there though who were only interested in the signed book to get it on eBay.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 9, 2018 20:11

If any of the good folks who went to Waterstones would be willing to sell a signed copy let me know! smiling smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 9, 2018 21:38

That book is a piece of shit.
I sold it after having read 100 pages.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: February 9, 2018 22:31

I would love to have one!

By the way, what do you think is a value of fully signed (Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie) "50" photo book? Only 20 of those were signed for Daily Mirror competition back in 2012.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2018 23:21

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 9, 2018 23:26

If it has been personalized, it is worth far less.

I collect Stones signed memorabilia and there is a ton of fake stuff on EBAY.

The sig on this copy is legit. Non personalized with Keith's sig is $500-$1000
at least.

Authentication could run you at least $300-$400 if you are in doubt.

Date: February 9, 2018 23:57

Midnight Toker
If it has been personalized, it is worth far less.

I collect Stones signed memorabilia and there is a ton of fake stuff on EBAY.

The sig on this copy is legit. Non personalized with Keith's sig is $500-$1000
at least.

Authentication could run you at least $300-$400 if you are in doubt.

Yeah personalzation does drop the value a bit. I have nonpersonalized authenticated signed copy from an authentication service but according to their website PSA charges $75 to verify a Keef siggy and they are supposed to be very reputable.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 05:39 by oldschool.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 10, 2018 02:57

TooTough

No. It's actually quite enjoyable.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 10, 2018 05:40

JumpingKentFlash
TooTough

thumbs up

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 10, 2018 07:42

Should be in the Fiction section

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 10, 2018 08:11

Probably a little more than the value of life itself.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2018 12:37

JumpingKentFlash
TooTough

Too much garbage about drugs and far too little about music and the creative process that led to many great songs.
If you read this book without knowing the name of his author you have the feeling you read the memories of a professional drug addict who sometimes happened to pick a guitar once in a while.

Very disappointing indeed.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 10, 2018 16:16

dcba
JumpingKentFlash
TooTough

Too much garbage about drugs and far too little about music and the creative process that led to many great songs.
If you read this book without knowing the name of his author you have the feeling you read the memories of a professional drug addict who sometimes happened to pick a guitar once in a while.

A man who doesn´t remember anything that´s older than 2 hours...
(that´s why we love him) remembers his life? I never believed it.
Full of anecdotes others told him? Oh man.

And don´t forget the disgusting comments about Jagger´s "tt".
Disgusting. Keith nearly broke up the band. How can one like that book?

Date: February 10, 2018 16:25

TooTough
dcba
JumpingKentFlash
TooTough

A man who doesn´t remember anything that´s older than 2 hours...
(that´s why we love him) remembers his life? I never believed it.
Full of anecdotes others told him? Oh man.

And don´t forget the disgusting comments about Jagger´s "tt".
Disgusting. Keith nearly broke up the band. How can one like that book?

Didn't you enjoy the stuff from his diary and the "music workshop-section"?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 11, 2018 02:12

hold on to it another 10-20 years. will be worth a lot more then...without stating the obvious. of course maybe there is something to the theory that the only things that will survive the apocalypse are keith & cockroaches.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 11, 2018 03:17

Priceless, at least to me.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 11, 2018 07:56

If I remember that correctly, it had turned out a while back that a number of signed copies were not signed by Keith himself but by an autopen. That's where some of the controversy came from, no?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2018 09:36

doitywoik
If I remember that correctly, it had turned out a while back that a number of signed copies were not signed by Keith himself but by an autopen. That's where some of the controversy came from, no?

Hmmm if true that's despicable - almost as bad as having Johnny Depp w/fake English accent as the voice for the audio version of the book.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 11, 2018 10:55

I got mine from Amazon on release day. Then I won the book in Norwegian and with an autograph (as I understand it made at the interview where Keith got mad at the Swedish journalist). Won it here on iorr. It was a giveaway made by BV and Siw from Norway. It's not mine though. It belongs to my son.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 11, 2018 10:57

I wrote and erased a lot of blah blah... my opinion of signatures and values of Keiths hand signed.... versus another humans hand signing Keiths name.... versus auto-pen versus... yadda yadda... no one cares.

But one part might be worth leaving here and that is how one might possibly tell if something is auto pen signed or hand signed. One needs to think about how auto-pen works versus how a hand works when signing.

Grab your pen and sign you name.
Now look at the very beginning of your signing... see the first trace of ink? It is probably like a plane landing, meaning there is no ink right before you lightly touch the paper and then get into the signing and you are really pushing down... and then as you are ending you probably get lighter as the pen "Plane/ink takes off" comes off the paper.

The ink is gradual at the start and finish.
There is a lighter gradual starting and ending point on a hand signed something.

COMPARE THAT to how auto pen works.

Look on Youtube to see the machines in action and how they work.

A minion being paid about treefiddy per hour grabs the book (versus the too rich/can not be bothered to sign anything Millionaire). The minion sets the book in place, opens the book to the proper page and pushes a button. The auto swings into action, coming over to the start of the signature and BAM!!!! IT SLAMS THE PEN HEAD DOWN on the paper... and then it mechanically slowly methodically writes the name, and at the end of the signing it stops dead and lifts straight up. There is no gradual "plane taking off". It is all very mechanical. Every signature is identical.

"They" say you can sometimes very easily see the indentation "dot" in the paper where the pen head slammed down, and you probably DO NOT see the gradual beginning and ending of the ink as if a human hand signed it.

Of course it was 5-10 years ago when I learned all of this.
And as I writing this it occurred to me that the people who make auto pens have probably gotten better at faking signatures... or maybe they haven't.... but maybe they have figured out less slamming down and doing the gradual start stop to make it look hand signed. But for crap signed 10-15 years ago (and before) one might be able to look at the signature for the starting indent of an auto pen.

I have used this knowledge for fun over the years looking at various signatures in various places and it is interesting to see how it all goes and what looks like what.

Back when the original thread was going I recall people talking about seeing the pen head indent, which indicated their book was probably auto pen signed, and they were not pleased... or something

anyway fwiw---

PS
bottom line without going into a long diatribe- If you don't see it signed, it is fake/autopenned/etc etc... and who cares anyway.

With a few exception (like paintings) getting signatures are silly and basically worthless.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 11:19 by Leonioid.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: February 11, 2018 16:53

TooTough

Hmmmm....... Seems strange to me to make such a sweeping statement about a book, seeing as how you barely scratched the surface of the contents.....
Not the best book I ever read, but I struggled through to the end, probably more out of a sense of duty as a Stones fan. But so much has been written, I think I was just left with a feeling of 'what's new?'

Interesting to see it regularly appears in charity shops, especially as my local one tells me they can only sell 10% of donated books, 90% are shredded. And they can't shift kids books at all. But I like the way they sell a book, then it's donated again, and sold again, at least the charity keeps making money from it.

So thanks for that, Keith.
That's Life, innit

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 11, 2018 17:35

My copy came through amazon without any autograph (fake or real). I found it an entertaining read overall. Of course the tt comment was superfluous as he tipps his hat to Mick so many times throughout the book. I rather got the impression that the only other person in the world beside himself that Keith really cares about is Mick.

It would have been quite naive to assume Keith would always only tell "the truth", not adding anything nor leaving anything out. In certain parts Tony's account is possibly closer to what actually happened than Keith's. I rather see the book as another perspective of Keith's life, offered by someone who was involved, someway or other.

I remember a Keith biography from the 80s (forgetting by who, just remembering it was a lady) where almost every mention of a name is followed by a legal formula that goes roughly like, "person XYZ states in writing that Mr Richards never encouraged him/her to use drugs, or supplied drugs to him/her, or is responsible for any drug-related consequences with respect to person XYZ". It would be boring to have such a clause on every other page in Keith's book.

I rather loved stories like how he wrote songs by locking himself up in a brothel and asking the hookers for lines ... winking smiley

Has anyone ever asked Patty what she thinks of this approach to songwriting?

Date: February 11, 2018 23:00

Leonioid
I wrote and erased a lot of blah blah... my opinion of signatures and values of Keiths hand signed.... versus another humans hand signing Keiths name.... versus auto-pen versus... yadda yadda... no one cares.

But one part might be worth leaving here and that is how one might possibly tell if something is auto pen signed or hand signed. One needs to think about how auto-pen works versus how a hand works when signing.

Now look at the very beginning of your signing... see the first trace of ink? It is probably like a plane landing, meaning there is no ink right before you lightly touch the paper and then get into the signing and you are really pushing down... and then as you are ending you probably get lighter as the pen "Plane/ink takes off" comes off the paper.

There is a lighter gradual starting and ending point on a hand signed something.

A minion being paid about treefiddy per hour grabs the book (versus the too rich/can not be bothered to sign anything Millionaire). The minion sets the book in place, opens the book to the proper page and pushes a button. The auto swings into action, coming over to the start of the signature and BAM!!!! IT SLAMS THE PEN HEAD DOWN on the paper... and then it mechanically slowly methodically writes the name, and at the end of the signing it stops dead and lifts straight up. There is no gradual "plane taking off". It is all very mechanical. Every signature is identical.

"They" say you can sometimes very easily see the indentation "dot" in the paper where the pen head slammed down, and you probably DO NOT see the gradual beginning and ending of the ink as if a human hand signed it.

And as I writing this it occurred to me that the people who make auto pens have probably gotten better at faking signatures... or maybe they haven't.... but maybe they have figured out less slamming down and doing the gradual start stop to make it look hand signed. But for crap signed 10-15 years ago (and before) one might be able to look at the signature for the starting indent of an auto pen.

I have used this knowledge for fun over the years looking at various signatures in various places and it is interesting to see how it all goes and what looks like what.

Back when the original thread was going I recall people talking about seeing the pen head indent, which indicated their book was probably auto pen signed, and they were not pleased... or something

anyway fwiw---

PS
bottom line without going into a long diatribe- If you don't see it signed, it is fake/autopenned/etc etc... and who cares anyway.

With a few exception (like paintings) getting signatures are silly and basically worthless.

Like any collectible an autograph is worth what people are willing to pay so they may be worthless to you but there is a huge market for famous people autographs so they are not worthless relatively speaking.

But I do agree unless you see it signed there is a good chance it was not an original signature. Unfortunately even hand writing experts get fooled.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 11, 2018 23:10

oldschool
Leonioid

anyway fwiw---

PS

Like any collectible an autograph is worth what people are willing to pay so they may be worthless to you but there is a huge market for famous people autographs so they are not worthless relatively speaking.

Of course...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 23:11 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2018 23:20

When I'm riding around the world
And I'm doing this and I'm signing that

............... (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction -- Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home