Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:04

Video: Michael Schenker remembers the time when the Rolling Stones came calling... and he ignored them

Michael Schenker has talked on camera about the time he was asked to audition for The Rolling Stones. The guitarist, who last week was confirmed as one of the headliners of the HRH XII festival in November, was approached shortly after he arrived in London to join UFO in 1973.

In the video, Schenker reveals how he took a call on his landlady's telephone two months after joining UFO, and was asked if he'd be interested in trying out for the Stones. After speaking to older brother and Scorpions guitarist Rudolf Schenker in Germany, he decided not to return the call.

In the video, Schenker explains his reasoning, and reveals that the man who eventually got the Rolling Stones job, former Faces man Ronnie Wood, is actually a big Michael Schenker fan.

[teamrock.com]

Michael on being asked to try out for The Rolling Stones

Re: Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:14

Michael is an odd duck. He attacks his older brother, Rudolph, constantly nowadays for his work in the Scorpions, calling him a hack and a ripoff artist.

I don't put too much stock in his words. Amazing guitarist, but his brain is fried.

Date: February 8, 2018 17:17

Everybody was asked to join the Stones, it seems winking smiley

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:21

Except for me, I was 15 at this time, it's the reason why I think!smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:29

DandelionPowderman

Yep! grinning smiley

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:30

Talented guitar player but a little crazy IMHO. The Stones were lucky he passed I think.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:31

What I read here is "the time I was really stupid and now it hurts less to talk about it"

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 8, 2018 17:56

leteyer
What I read here is "the time I was really stupid and now it hurts less to talk about it"

I don't think so.
The guy's really gifted, but too far away from the blues. His style would not have matched with the Stones anyway

And please listen/read carefuly : he declined to audition. This does not mean he would have had to decline the job after the audition...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 8, 2018 18:18

Interesting. Seems like they were ready to take chances back then. Try something else. In the end they didn't though. Maybe for the best?
They took a chance when they replaced Bill though. They settled for a soul/funk bassist. A bad decision in my eyes.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 8, 2018 19:27

He was 20 in January 1975. Something is wrong here. They searched for a guitarist not for a child.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 19:42 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 8, 2018 19:49

Best move for the Glimmers staying away from him , I like him in UFO , but he is not a Stone

Date: February 8, 2018 19:55

DandelionPowderman

I don't know when they found time to hold all those auditions. And also why they didn't realize how many of them would be a waste of time. Many great names, but bad chemistry.
Then also for the Bass player auditions. A friend of mine played Bass for a reasonably successful alternative band. I mean, like anybody else I want to talk a big game LOL, but no, it's small-time. But he got the call-up. He went to audition for the Show. IMO he actually would have made a better Stone than DJ.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 8, 2018 20:07

Why do we automatically assume this is all true?

Didn't you notice the 20-date tour list (early march - early April '18) underneath that 'article'?
The man 's got something to sell, folks...

Apart from that, this anachrony: the article states that he "...was approached shortly after he arrived in London to join UFO in 1973 ";
and then afterwards that the man "who eventually got the Rolling Stones job" was "former Faces man Ronnie Wood".

So in my book that would mean that the Stones alledgedly have been looking to replace Mick T. right from the height of his & their powers (yeah... RIGHT!);
ànd that Schenker has been dodging Rolling Stones' requests for auditions for a rock-solid two YEARS.
And then there's also the (ahum) 'fact' that they would never let an talented American like f.i. Wayne Perkins (& so many others) take this truely Brit's job;
but they'd settle for a German right away...?! (no disrespect intended, Brüder und Schwestern! I'm sure you catch the drift of this, OK.)

Date: February 8, 2018 20:32

<Why do we automatically assume this is all true?>

We don't grinning smiley

Date: February 8, 2018 20:53

Schenker has very little credibility. He's erratic as hell.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 8, 2018 21:11

Keith said beat it I bet

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 8, 2018 21:18

Can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on in the first place - though I suppose they could have.
Second of all, can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on and thinking...this might be our man!
He's an amazing guitar player no doubt, but pretty far removed from anything Stonesy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 8, 2018 21:23

The Stones turned down talented musicians because they were NOT English. How come they could have accepted a German dude with a not-so-fluent English...

"ja ja zis iz a killer riff I just rote. Ve shoud try it" grinning smiley

Date: February 8, 2018 21:30

Hairball
Can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on in the first place - though I suppose they could have.
Second of all, can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on and thinking...this might be our man!
He's an amazing guitar player no doubt, but pretty far removed from anything Stonesy.
Exactly. Keith would HATE those bands. That's barely even a question.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 8, 2018 22:12

Hairball

Not really. The UFO album that fits into the time frame is Phenomenon from 1974, for me their best - and the first one with Schenker. A great mix of hard rock, folksy ballads and even a Willie Dixon cover - Built For Comfort. Schenker's electric and acoustic guitar work on this album is outstanding. If they were looking for a Taylor replacement, Schenker's fluid and melodic style on this album was at least something to seriously consider. It must be said, however, that with the following albums, UFO/Schenker went more and more along the increasingly one-dimensional metal route, what I found quite sad at the time. But Phenomenon, as it stands, is not an album that sounds all too strange for "stonesy ears".

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 8, 2018 23:21

So there is this old ratt album on which there is an acoustic jam. Born on the bayou.
That's pretty impressive... And that's Michael schenker.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 8, 2018 23:27

dcba
The Stones turned down talented musicians because they were NOT English. How come they could have accepted a German dude with a not-so-fluent English...

"ja ja zis iz a killer riff I just rote. Ve shoud try it" grinning smiley

Well, (at least) three of them accepted a german actrice...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:01

DandelionPowderman

We don't grinning smiley

Who is we?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:09

....so Mick ...Keith or whoever .... just happened to know his landlady's phone number ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:09

Me................looks like a nice guy though.........Although I don't know who he was............for me it looks more as publicity stunt....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 01:50 by NICOS.

Date: February 9, 2018 00:18

Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman

We don't grinning smiley

Who is we?

Me and my imaginary friend(s)..

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:29

Brian Jones died in 1969 ... (not 1973). Them calling him (if they did) had nothing to do with Brian Jones.

As well ..The Stones didn't start auditioning for another guitar player to replace Mick Taylor until 74/75.

His years and facts are jumbled. Not saying he's totally full of crap .. I'm simply stating the obvious about the time line and chain of events.

Ian

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:32

Most likely he was asked to join a Stones tribute band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:45

.......and what about the hair-lice story .... he should be writing kids books ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:46

i myself have turned the stones on several occasions.

first time was in 1988 when i was 19, then in 1993, 1998, 2007 and more recently yesterday.

usually with a phone call or email, none of which have ever been replied to.

but at least they know im not going on tour with them, so they cant disrupt any plans.

funny thought, people are never known for what they dont do.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home