Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:57

But Ronnie was a Michael Schenker fan back in '83...according to Michael Schenker...maybe they needed a roadie or whatever...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 9, 2018 01:16

Schenker is one of the greatest guitar players EVER.

I do not see him as a Rolling Stone though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 9, 2018 01:17

Schenker appears to be in fantasy land with this story.

The Stones wanted to recruit an 18 year old German heavy rock guitarist with no blues pedigree a year and a half before Mick Taylor chose to leave?

Ok, then. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 01:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2018 01:20

retired_dog
Hairball
Can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on in the first place - though I suppose they could have.
Second of all, can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on and thinking...this might be our man!
He's an amazing guitar player no doubt, but pretty far removed from anything Stonesy.

Not really. The UFO album that fits into the time frame is Phenomenon from 1974, for me their best - and the first one with Schenker. A great mix of hard rock, folksy ballads and even a Willie Dixon cover - Built For Comfort. Schenker's electric and acoustic guitar work on this album is outstanding. If they were looking for a Taylor replacement, Schenker's fluid and melodic style on this album was at least something to seriously consider. It must be said, however, that with the following albums, UFO/Schenker went more and more along the increasingly one-dimensional metal route, what I found quite sad at the time. But Phenomenon, as it stands, is not an album that sounds all too strange for "stonesy ears".

When I think of UFO's Phenomenon album (which is for the most part great indeed), I mainly think of tunes like Dr. Dr. and Rock Bottom which are heavy rock veering into early metal territory - can't really hear the relation to Mick Taylor or anything Stonesy on those tunes at all. And the Willie Dixon blues cover is closer to what Led Zeppelin and Free/Bad Company were doing - hard rock blues - loud and aggressive, but the UFO cover borders on obnoxious imo.

And then you listen to the Scorpions album Lonesome Crowe from 1972 that Schenker played on, it's closer to Black Sabbath or even a prog band - nothing Stonesy about it. Can't imagine Keith (or any of the Stones) thinking he would be a good fit for the band in any way.

Great tunes, but Stonesy?

UFO - Rock Bottom

UFO - Doctor Doctor

eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 01:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 9, 2018 01:54

Doctor Doctor always gives me a big adrenaline rush...Iron Maiden plays it over the PA right before they hit the stage at all their shows.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 9, 2018 02:35

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 9, 2018 05:21

Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
Can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on in the first place - though I suppose they could have.
Second of all, can't imagine the Stones listening to either the Scorpions or UFO albums which Schenker played on and thinking...this might be our man!
He's an amazing guitar player no doubt, but pretty far removed from anything Stonesy.

Not really. The UFO album that fits into the time frame is Phenomenon from 1974, for me their best - and the first one with Schenker. A great mix of hard rock, folksy ballads and even a Willie Dixon cover - Built For Comfort. Schenker's electric and acoustic guitar work on this album is outstanding. If they were looking for a Taylor replacement, Schenker's fluid and melodic style on this album was at least something to seriously consider. It must be said, however, that with the following albums, UFO/Schenker went more and more along the increasingly one-dimensional metal route, what I found quite sad at the time. But Phenomenon, as it stands, is not an album that sounds all too strange for "stonesy ears".

When I think of UFO's Phenomenon album (which is for the most part great indeed), I mainly think of tunes like Dr. Dr. and Rock Bottom which are heavy rock veering into early metal territory - can't really hear the relation to Mick Taylor or anything Stonesy on those tunes at all. And the Willie Dixon blues cover is closer to what Led Zeppelin and Free/Bad Company were doing - hard rock blues - loud and aggressive, but the UFO cover borders on obnoxious imo.

And then you listen to the Scorpions album Lonesome Crowe from 1972 that Schenker played on, it's closer to Black Sabbath or even a prog band - nothing Stonesy about it. Can't imagine Keith (or any of the Stones) thinking he would be a good fit for the band in any way.

UFO - Rock Bottom

UFO - Doctor Doctor

eye rolling smiley

Well, you chose the most "unstonesy" examples on the whole album to underline your claim, but I had "Too Young To Know", "Oh My", "Built For Comfort" and the ballads "Time On My Hands", "Crystal Light" or "Space Child" in mind as tracks that are listenable for Stones fans who are not exactly into hard/heavy rock in general. Schenker's melodic and fluid soloing in Space Child and Time On My Hands is not unlike what Taylor's doing on Time Waits For No One imo.

I'm not saying that Schenker was the one and only guitar player they had in mind after Taylor left, but I can imagine that (possibly only) Jagger thought enough of the guy to at least check him out once because one thing is very audible - this guy could play, coming from blues roots or not. Clapton came from blues roots, but it is widely assumed that he would not have fitted the Stones. Same story with Beck. Or Page. Or Gallagher. Well, you don't know until you give it a try.

In 1974/75, the future was open for the Stones after Taylor left, and I can only imagine that there were a lot of questions inside the band concerning the direction the band would take.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 9, 2018 06:19

The ego clash would have been ugly!

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 9, 2018 06:25

ouroux58
Except for me, I was 15 at this time, it's the reason why I think!smoking smiley

Same here and my mom would not let me fly to Munich or wherever to audition.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 9, 2018 07:12

leteyer
What I read here is "the time I was really stupid and now it hurts less to talk about it"

This made me laugh.

Date: February 9, 2018 07:20

retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball

UFO - Rock Bottom

UFO - Doctor Doctor

eye rolling smiley

Well, you chose the most "unstonesy" examples on the whole album to underline your claim, but I had "Too Young To Know", "Oh My", "Built For Comfort" and the ballads "Time On My Hands", "Crystal Light" or "Space Child" in mind as tracks that are listenable for Stones fans who are not exactly into hard/heavy rock in general. Schenker's melodic and fluid soloing in Space Child and Time On My Hands is not unlike what Taylor's doing on Time Waits For No One imo.

I'm not saying that Schenker was the one and only guitar player they had in mind after Taylor left, but I can imagine that (possibly only) Jagger thought enough of the guy to at least check him out once because one thing is very audible - this guy could play, coming from blues roots or not. Clapton came from blues roots, but it is widely assumed that he would not have fitted the Stones. Same story with Beck. Or Page. Or Gallagher. Well, you don't know until you give it a try.

In 1974/75, the future was open for the Stones after Taylor left, and I can only imagine that there were a lot of questions inside the band concerning the direction the band would take.

One thing we know is that Schenker went pure hard rock/metal after '75 while the Stones went into funk, soul, reggae punk, disco, and even country, etc., - basically all over the map - but never hard rock/metal.
I doubt Schenker could have restrained himself and fit in with the Stones playing any of those genres. For example, I have a hard time imagining Beast of Burden (for example) with a scorching Schenker guitar solo, while I think Mick Taylor could have fit right in with some subtle "weaving" on slide, just as Clapton, Beck, and Page could have done. With Schenker, you would get the shredding, the pick against the strings effect, and blazing notes all over the place. He is an amazing guitar player, but can't imagine him ever fitting in with the Stones unless the Stones chose to go in a purely hard rock/metal direction which is doubtful.

PS - Was just listening to UFO's Lights Out. One of the greatest hard rock songsin the entire universe, and reason alone why Schenker will always be known as one of the greatest guitar players ever imo. thumbs up

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 9, 2018 10:38

dcba
The Stones turned down talented musicians because they were NOT English. How come they could have accepted a German dude with a not-so-fluent English...

"ja ja zis iz a killer riff I just rote. Ve shoud try it" grinning smiley

And Adolph was in hell and couldn't help him with panzers smoking smiley

Date: February 9, 2018 11:23

I'm imagining hearing Schenker, and his Boss Superoverdrive pedal, on Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama.

Can't hear it at all. Apart from the solos and the sound (which isn't my cup of tea, but I can hear his abilities, of course), he lacks soul in his rhythm playing, imo. Rhythm was always important for the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 15:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2018 15:34

It's like some old journalists always says - never check on a good story...

Date: February 9, 2018 18:26

ouroux58
dcba
The Stones turned down talented musicians because they were NOT English. How come they could have accepted a German dude with a not-so-fluent English...

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Shame on you.

Date: February 9, 2018 18:46

DandelionPowderman
I'm imagining hearing Schenker, and his Boss Superoverdrive pedal, on Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama.

Can't hear it at all. Apart from the solos and the sound (which isn't my cup of tea, but I can hear his abilities, of course), he lacks soul in his rhythm playing, imo. Rhythm was always important for the Stones.

Well, I never said it would have worked. And if at all, probably not longer than with Taylor, who (just like Schenker) was young, extremely talented, formable (and blond!) when he joined, but over a couple of years quickly outgrew the restraints of relatively simple Stones musical structures.

I just don't outrule the possibility that at least Jagger, considerung the circumstances after Taylor's departure (uncertain future direction, Keith's heavy addiction) had indeed the idea to check this guy out. Sure, with hindsight it looks like it could not have worked out. But keep in mind we're talking about the situation in 1974/75 here, not our wisdom in 2018, knowing how everything developed in the end.

Plus Jagger has more than enough proven that he is able to think outside the mindframes of Stones fans. If the results were always satisfying is an entirely different matter.

Date: February 9, 2018 18:49

retired_dog
ouroux58
dcba

Shame on you.

Nice to you to remind me that they played "shame shame shame" at these 1975 sessions.

Date: February 9, 2018 18:51

retired_dog
I can imagine that (possibly only) Jagger thought enough of the guy to at least check him out once

I overlooked this comment, but would have to say that is a possibility. After all, Mick hired guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani for his solo band. I would have never predicted Mick would choose that type of guitar player, and ultimately it never really worked imo, but that's the way it was. But if Mick did check Schneker out and then suggest him to the band, I can imagine Charlie and Bill silently shaking their heads in disapproval, and Keith grumbling unintelligible cuss words and putting his fist through the wall. winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 9, 2018 18:58

There were rumours in 1973. This from the June 9 edition of NME.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 9, 2018 19:08

DandelionPowderman
Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman

We don't grinning smiley

Who is we?

Me and my imaginary friend(s)..

>grinning smiley<

You know this board doesn’ REALLY exist, all the posters here are just voices inside your head, and every thread & discussion here are just subliminal messages of your subconscious Self, projecting your greatest fears & desires, in order to beat the ever-present Lonelyness, don’t you Dandeee...?! smoking smiley

Date: February 9, 2018 20:27

ouroux58
retired_dog
ouroux58
dcba

Shame on you.

Nice to you to remind me that they played "shame shame shame" at these 1975 sessions.

A small piece of Stones history knowledge does not save your former comment from being simply racist.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 9, 2018 20:29

retired_dog
ouroux58
retired_dog
ouroux58
dcba

Shame on you.

A small piece of Stones history knowledge does not save your former comment from being simply racist.
Questionable taste, yes. Racist? I don't see it.

Date: February 9, 2018 20:29

Hairball
retired_dog
I can imagine that (possibly only) Jagger thought enough of the guy to at least check him out once

I overlooked this comment, but would have to say that is a possibility. After all, Mick hired guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani for his solo band. I would have never predicted Mick would choose that type of guitar player, and ultimately it never really worked imo, but that's the way it was. But if Mick did check Schneker out and then suggest him to the band, I can imagine Charlie and Bill silently shaking their heads in disapproval, and Keith grumbling unintelligible cuss words and putting his fist through the wall. winking smiley

Yep, that's one aspect I had in mind.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 9, 2018 21:59

ouroux58
retired_dog

Shame on you.

Yes... but NOT the Jimmy Reed blues classic. They did play the (imo awful) Sylvia Robinson disco turd.

Date: February 9, 2018 22:17

There would be no task for a player like Michael Schenker in the Rolling Stones. Besides, there are a zillion Schenkers and Woods out there, like them or not, so no need to hassle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 00:13 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 10, 2018 00:26

retired_dog
ouroux58
retired_dog
ouroux58
dcba

Shame on you.

Blah, blah, blah, my answer is stupid like the subject of this thread. Who can believe that Michael Schenker had been called to have an audition.
I have a scoop too, I heard than Manitas de Plata did it too.
We make a joke and we are racist. Putain on doit pas souvent s'marrer chez toi.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 10, 2018 02:06

Deltics
There were rumours in 1973. This from the June 9 edition of NME.

Who knows. Maybe Mick had ideas about hiring Some new exciting guitar player if Keith ended up dead or in jail or like Brian.

Date: February 10, 2018 02:12

UFO in their prime were a top band.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 10, 2018 08:18

IanBillen
Brian Jones died in 1969 ... (not 1973). Them calling him (if they did) had nothing to do with Brian Jones.

As well ..The Stones didn't start auditioning for another guitar player to replace Mick Taylor until 74/75.

His years and facts are jumbled. Not saying he's totally full of crap .. I'm simply stating the obvious about the time line and chain of events.

Ian

So ..... he IS total crap. Like said in earlier mail: pubicity stunt ...
just like the other guy, who says he likes to spend more time with his children and then starts a three years world tour. Total crap ... pubicity stunt ...
smileys with beer

Date: February 10, 2018 08:35

ouroux58
retired_dog
ouroux58
retired_dog
ouroux58
dcba

Shame on you.

Blah, blah, blah, my answer is stupid like the subject of this thread. Who can believe that Michael Schenker had been called to have an audition.
I have a scoop too, I heard than Manitas de Plata did it too.
We make a joke and we are racist. Putain on doit pas souvent s'marrer chez toi.

Making jokes about Schenker's german accent is as cheap as making jokes about other people's french accent - not funny at all. And what has Schenker, born in 1955, to do with "Adolph" and his panzers? Only because he's german? If that's not racist I don't know what.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2011
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home