Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why Change IORR when live?
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: February 7, 2018 07:16

This may have come up before, but I don't remember any answer that really makes sense.

Why did the Stones change IORR from key of E in the studio, to B when played live?

I LOVE the studio version, and feel like the live version is only so-so. Lacks the groove of the original.

It's an easy key to play and riff on guitar, Mick sings it well in E. (He did it in E with the Foo Fighters on SNL a few years back and it sounded very good.)

I once heard Keith say something to the effect that when they went to play it live, they realized they recorded it in the wrong key. WTF? This is a nonsensical explanation IMO.

So, what gives?

Re: Why Change IORR when live?
Date: February 7, 2018 08:25

They have also played it in other keys than E and B (1975 and 1976).

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 7, 2018 09:10

They play it instead of the CB numbers as (their) CB number nowadays. If broadcasted/ released it brings more money. That's why they played IORR instead of Little Queenie in Bremen 98.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-07 12:20 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 7, 2018 14:00

In 75/6 Keith played it in open G tuning. Playing it in E would require a capo at the 9th fret, a little too high up the neck. I think they played it in B in '75 and switched to G in '76. Which is a little odd since it worked so much better in B imho.

Date: February 7, 2018 14:02

z
In 75/6 Keith played it in open G tuning. Playing it in E would require a capo at the 9th fret, a little too high up the neck. I think they played it in B in '75 and switched to G in '76. Which is a little odd since it worked so much better in B imho.

He could have played it in open E winking smiley

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: February 7, 2018 14:14

B key is more voice friendly to sing it live. When you sing it in E key, it´s too low for verse and too high for chorus. B is optimal in between.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: February 7, 2018 14:25

It's well known that It's Only Rock 'N Roll was written (and had its main rhythm tracks) recorded at Ronnie Woods house without Keith Richards present. Given the band decided to keep the original backing recordings to finish off and produce the final album version, the song key was decided by those who took part in that original session.

As to why they have played it in other keys live, in my best guess opinion (as a guitarist that's played in bands) when rehearsing the song prior to the 75 tour they might have thought the guitar parts sounded not quite right in this setting (remember the studio version has at least two rhythm tracks throughout, an acoustic and an electric, plus also the lead guitar parts), I can imagine that playing the rhythm guitar in the open E position might sound quite muddy live with the bass guitar blending in with it.

It could also be Keith simply wanted to change the key for some other reason (which he had not decided upon for the studio album by not being there for the initial tracks), one advantage of shifting it to B is it's the perfect key for those Chuck Berry riffs (in E you're forced to play the some of the favourite licks an octave higher, if you're playing them in the traditional fashion at least). I highly doubt the key change has anything to do with the vocals.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 7, 2018 15:30

Why did they change SFTD live? To allow Keith play his demon riffs. There are none on iorr but I guess that was the idea.

Best live (!) version? You got it.
This here is some bad ass guitars, drums (pay attention to Charlie in the beginning), bass, piano and vocals as well as back up vocals. Recorded 1975 (To-rron-tooah) - 1977 (New York).

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 7, 2018 18:07

Iorr is not really a stones song
It was made by Jagger , Wood and a couple of friends, Kenny jones remained on drums, the stones did a jew overdubs later.
I guess, charlie and keith did´nt get the groove, so they did their own thing for the live performances. some chuck berry riffs, 4/4 beat and the key - who cares, take some more cocain, a few drinks and ---- finished!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2018 18:26

Version on LYL is great

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 7, 2018 18:40

There's something down home sleazy and dirty about the studio versions sound and overall vibe that's definitely missing from all live versions.
Maybe if Ronnie played a 12 string and they played it at the proper tempo and key, it wouldn't come across as run of the mill Chuck Berry style song.
I used to love it when played live (and there are a few live versions I really like), but it became ploddingly monotonous to the point it sounds almost phony.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2018 22:58

It's best in B. It sounds better. That's the only reason they needed.

Except it's probably more so that since Ronnie had a hand in it, the only way Keith could make it his own was to... change the key and Chuck Berry it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 8, 2018 00:43

deardoctor
It was made by Jagger , Wood and a couple of friends, Kenny jones remained on drums, the stones did a jew overdubs later.
I guess, charlie and keith did´nt get the groove, so they did their own thing for the live performances. some chuck berry riffs, 4/4 beat and the key - who cares, take some more cocain, a few drinks and ---- finished!

It does sound more like a Faces number, doesn't it?

Date: February 8, 2018 02:55

I'm sorry but none of these answers are acceptable to me. CHANGE IT BACK! grinning smiley

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: February 8, 2018 11:22

stonehearted

Not to my ears, but I always thought the main guitar riff to Can't You Hear Me Knocking sounded more like the Faces than the Stones.

Date: February 8, 2018 11:29

stonehearted
deardoctor

It does indeed. Before Keith comes in, that is smiling smiley

Date: February 9, 2018 00:36

jazzbass
I'm sorry but none of these answers are acceptable to me. CHANGE IT BACK! grinning smiley

Change it back to what? It never was in E live!

Date: February 9, 2018 20:57

GasLightStreet
jazzbass

I guess, I mean, play it like the IORR album!

Date: February 10, 2018 10:49

jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

Wouldn't work in stadium. They have to play their idiotic sing-along bla bla 1989 live arrangement.

Date: February 10, 2018 15:04

Monsoon Ragoon
jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

Wouldn't work in stadium. They have to play their idiotic sing-along bla bla 1989 live arrangement.

Which they also used in 1975/76...

Date: February 10, 2018 15:37

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

Wasn't the early live version quite a lot slower than 1989 onwards?

Date: February 10, 2018 16:21

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

More like particularly fast in 1989, I think.

Date: February 10, 2018 17:14

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

It way somewhat slower in 1975/76, not Chuck Berry-like. That was okay, more authentic. Thing is the studio version is great, but you can't do it like this on stage, maybe in a theatre.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 11, 2018 00:15

Studio version is typical "T- Rex" style.
Live versions are typical "Chuck Berry" style.

I really enjoy both styles.

Date: February 11, 2018 00:25

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

It way somewhat slower in 1975/76, not Chuck Berry-like. That was okay, more authentic. Thing is the studio version is great, but you can't do it like this on stage, maybe in a theatre.

The version on LOVE YOU LIVE is not slow and it's certainly Chuck Berryed.

Date: February 11, 2018 18:59

Maybe it's time they change some other songs up.

SFTD - that could use the biggest change of all. Key of B or F#. Just screw everything up.

Did they play Star Star in the same key as the studio? Or have they, anyway, over the years, kept it the same? It's one I've never checked on.

They changed Paint It Black.

Keith changed Happy to A on his first tour. Which sounded great, really, except for the guitar break.
Happy - Live 1988

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 11, 2018 20:14

^^^ Star changed from F to E.

Date: February 11, 2018 20:23

They changed BOB to D on SAL 78, because of Mick’s cold.

Date: February 12, 2018 06:09

DandelionPowderman
They changed BOB to D on SAL 78, because of Mick’s cold.

Dropping a step due to a singing problem makes total sense. Now I have to give it a re-listen to see how noticeable it is.

Date: February 12, 2018 10:58

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
jazzbass
GasLightStreet
jazzbass

The version on LOVE YOU LIVE is not slow and it's certainly Chuck Berryed.

Not slow, but slower than in the Vegas-era for my ears.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home