Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Correcting casual fans on their own memories
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 6, 2018 05:26

Was just talking with someone who said "I saw the Stones in '79 at Soldier Field in Chicago" and was like "No, it was '78" and we started fighting about it. He was like "No, I'm sure..." Man, I feel like a weirdo nerd at times like these. Anyone had similar discussions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 21:49 by bv.

Re: Stones dork - correcting casual fans on their own memories
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 6, 2018 05:35

July 8 1978. I was there. I saw it!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 6, 2018 06:18

I’m the same way. Can’t help it, but I try to not be rude. A cousin of mine recently told someone, “Dave saw The Beatles at Dodgdr Stadium, with The Supremes opening”. I gently corrected him with, “The Ronettes”. He said, “Are you sure?”. I just smiled.
About 10 years ago, my wife and I took a tour of San Francisco. When we went to the Haight Ashbury district, the guide talked about the summer of ‘67, the “Summer of Love”. He rattled off a list of groups that were a part of the scene, including Led Zeppelin. I started to tell him that they didn’t exist as a group then but my wife stopped me. From that point on, I didn’t believe a word he said.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 6, 2018 06:19

Oh, I have often corrected people on the year of the shows they said they saw. Like "I saw the Stones in '68 at the LA Forum." Me: "umm no, that would have been '69." I think that of the several people whom I have corrected in this way, all have acquiesced to "superior knowledge" and did not argue/agreed with me.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 06:24 by timbernardis.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 6, 2018 06:44

that soldier field show was only something i saw on the news growing up in Chicago....i was a fascinated 11 year-old in 1978

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 6, 2018 07:47

Whenever I know I'm absolutely right about I always bet at least $100 on it. It shuts them right the F&%$ up and you get paid for proving it.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 6, 2018 07:47

I don't bother correcting people, as I really haven't come across anyone so insistent about their memory of a particular show or year.

Not every Stones or music fan is concerned about those kind of details...especially when it's regarding a concert from decades ago. I don't worry about it.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 6, 2018 10:00

Jah Paul
I don't bother correcting people, as I really haven't come across anyone so insistent about their memory of a particular show or year.

Not every Stones or music fan is concerned about those kind of details...especially when it's regarding a concert from decades ago. I don't worry about it.

To be honest, in those kind of discussions/debates, I nearly always turn out to be the one that's wrong. It's amazing the things I look back on as fact and then realize I'm just remembering my own mistaken impressions. In the case of the Stones, for example, I'd have happily taken a $100 bet that they played Who's Driving Your Plane at the Albert Hall show in 1966 as I clearly remember them doing it. But they didn't.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 6, 2018 14:37

DaveG
I’m the same way. Can’t help it, but I try to not be rude. A cousin of mine recently told someone, “Dave saw The Beatles at Dodgdr Stadium, with The Supremes opening”. I gently corrected him with, “The Ronettes”. He said, “Are you sure?”. I just smiled.
About 10 years ago, my wife and I took a tour of San Francisco. When we went to the Haight Ashbury district, the guide talked about the summer of ‘67, the “Summer of Love”. He rattled off a list of groups that were a part of the scene, including Led Zeppelin. I started to tell him that they didn’t exist as a group then but my wife stopped me. From that point on, I didn’t believe a word he said.

Dave- I’m pretty sure Led Zep was there for the ‘67 Summer of Love. I remember hangin at a Music Festival there where they played with The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Show was headlined by Paul Revere & the Raiders. Good times back then!
smoking smiley

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 6, 2018 14:45

The '78 show even had Marlo Thomas and Phil Donahue in the press box just above us. A friend shouted to Phil that his mother loved him, to which Phil waved and smiled.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 6, 2018 14:58

I know about these situations. Especially as I am 30 years old some 60 year old guys look a bit weired when I try to correct them about concerts that took place in the 70s grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 6, 2018 15:07

Send It To me
Was just talking with someone who said "I saw the Stones in '79 at Soldier Field in Chicago" and was like "No, it was '78" and we started fighting about it. He was like "No, I'm sure..." Man, I feel like a weirdo nerd at times like these. Anyone had similar discussions?

Almost identical - give or take the dates.........grinning smiley - a guy in the gym I go to 'saw' the Stones at Knebworth in '75........

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 6, 2018 16:57

Woody24
DaveG
I
Dave- I’m pretty sure Led Zep was there for the ‘67 Summer of Love. I remember hangin at a Music Festival there where they played with The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Show was headlined by Paul Revere & the Raiders. Good times back then!
smoking smiley

See, now I’m being the “dork”, but they were formed in 1968. In fact, until September or October of ‘68, they were still called The New Yardbirds. However, I’m willing to be corrected, as the memory can be a bit fuzzy reaching back that far.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 6, 2018 17:29

I talked to Slash on a call-in show one time and asked him about opening for The Stones in 1989...

Slash: "I'm pretty sure that was 1990."
Me: "No, it was 1989."
Slash: "Huh. Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes."

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 6, 2018 17:42

thumbs up

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 6, 2018 17:42

Kurt
I talked to Slash on a call-in show one time and asked him about opening for The Stones in 1989...

It was best for Slash to agree with you considering all the people listening.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 6, 2018 18:13

Happens all the time. Unless it's critical, I just let it go...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2018 18:15

Send It To me

Yes.

The problem is "it was the best show ever" followed by... the wrong year. Which tells you they really don't remember it.

What's the funnest is when, after they say the wrong year and you correct them, THEY CONTINUE TO INSIST THEY STILL THINK IT WAS THE WRONG YEAR!

But these days, facts mean zero. So yeah... I tell all my friends I think I'm the only one out of all of them that are Stones fans that I saw the DIRTY WORK tour.

Date: February 6, 2018 18:20

Aquamarine
Jah Paul

To be honest, in those kind of discussions/debates, I nearly always turn out to be the one that's wrong. It's amazing the things I look back on as fact and then realize I'm just remembering my own mistaken impressions. In the case of the Stones, for example, I'd have happily taken a $100 bet that they played Who's Driving Your Plane at the Albert Hall show in 1966 as I clearly remember them doing it. But they didn't.

Perhaps you shouldn't be honest then.

Date: February 6, 2018 18:20

Send It To me

It's really fun to "correct" them and tell them there is an extra S in Soldier Field.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 6, 2018 18:21

I wouldn't firmly correct someone in such a matter. It doesn't really matter and what did the argument accomplish? I saw them in '79 in DC.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: February 6, 2018 18:25

Yes, I get it all the time. From "I loved the VL Euro tour in 1992", "saw them in 75 at the Hollywood Bowl" to "I just love Mike Jagger"

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: February 6, 2018 19:05

Happens to me a lot, usually when someone learns that I am a Stones geek. But the conversation will often be that they remember seeing the Stones during some decade and, after I quiz them a bit, I tell them what year it was.

HBK

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2018 19:23

It happens here all the time as lifelong fans can also make mistakes!
Even the most trivial matter - if you make a mistake, you're immediately corrected!
I welcome all the fact checkers as that's how you learn, but I try to keep on my toes and do some research regarding the minutiae before posting any factual data about the band.
But when it comes to personal/subjective opinions about what's good or bad, etc., that's another story...everyone has different values.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 6, 2018 21:28

Mick J. is surely not a casual fan, but maybe a fan smiling smiley
Well, he makes very often that kind of mistakes, to the point it seems on purpose to tease journalist or audience..
It works quite well with the crowd.. I remember when they played Paris Olympia in 1995...
It was a bit like
MJ (in French) : When was the last time we played here? 20 years ago?
Boasting crowd: NOOOOO
MJ: 25 years ago then?
More boasting crowd: NOOOO NOOOO
MJ: Maybe 1967?
Exhilarate crowd: YEEES

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 6, 2018 22:14

Kurt

[www.lessergodsbooks.com] grinning smiley

Re: Correcting casual fans on their own memories
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 6, 2018 22:29

As Willie Nelson says, your memory has a mind of its own.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 7, 2018 02:00

nothing worse than talking to someone about a particular gig they went to,ask them the setlist and they not really sure. i knew this couple who for years went to many big gigs. queen, bowie, u2 etc, never really knew any of the setlists when asked. also someone said to me once they been to see the stones in 1980 at the apollo glasgow, i said are you sure what songs did they do, he didnt really know.

also annoying is meeting someone who claims to be a fan of the stones and has all the records, when all they really have is 2 compilation albums and have heard of 7 songs.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: February 7, 2018 02:12

I ran across a Chicago Facebook group with one guy talking about seeing the Stones at a local bar in '69 "jamming" with Jefferson Airplane. I want some of what he was smoking.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 7, 2018 02:32

buttons67
nothing worse than talking to someone about a particular gig they went to,ask them the setlist and they not really sure. i knew this couple who for years went to many big gigs. queen, bowie, u2 etc, never really knew any of the setlists when asked. also someone said to me once they been to see the stones in 1980 at the apollo glasgow, i said are you sure what songs did they do, he didnt really know.

also annoying is meeting someone who claims to be a fan of the stones and has all the records, when all they really have is 2 compilation albums and have heard of 7 songs.

Nothing more annoying than dissing someone for not remembering a setlist from years ago or not having all the records smoking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home