Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Correcting casual fans on their own memories
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 7, 2018 02:51

Not always trust your memories..............

Re: Stones dork - correcting casual fans on their own memories
Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 7, 2018 03:18

DaveG
Woody24
DaveG
I’m the same way. Can’t help it, but I try to not be rude. A cousin of mine recently told someone, “Dave saw The Beatles at Dodgdr Stadium, with The Supremes opening”. I gently corrected him with, “The Ronettes”. He said, “Are you sure?”. I just smiled.
About 10 years ago, my wife and I took a tour of San Francisco. When we went to the Haight Ashbury district, the guide talked about the summer of ‘67, the “Summer of Love”. He rattled off a list of groups that were a part of the scene, including Led Zeppelin. I started to tell him that they didn’t exist as a group then but my wife stopped me. From that point on, I didn’t believe a word he said.
I
Dave- I’m pretty sure Led Zep was there for the ‘67 Summer of Love. I remember hangin at a Music Festival there where they played with The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Show was headlined by Paul Revere & the Raiders. Good times back then!
smoking smiley

See, now I’m being the “dork”, but they were formed in 1968. In fact, until September or October of ‘68, they were still called The New Yardbirds. However, I’m willing to be corrected, as the memory can be a bit fuzzy reaching back that far.

Good Lord, I was being facetious. Man, maybe you are a "dork."

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 7, 2018 03:29

Woody24
DaveG
Woody24
DaveG
I’m the same way. Can’t help it, but I try to not be rude. A cousin of mine recently told someone, “Dave saw The Beatles at Dodgdr Stadium, with The Supremes opening”. I gently corrected him with, “The Ronettes”. He said, “Are you sure?”. I just smiled.
About 10 years ago, my wife and I took a tour of San Francisco. When we went to the Haight Ashbury district, the guide talked about the summer of ‘67, the “Summer of Love”. He rattled off a list of groups that were a part of the scene, including Led Zeppelin. I started to tell him that they didn’t exist as a group then but my wife stopped me. From that point on, I didn’t believe a word he said.
I
Dave- I’m pretty sure Led Zep was there for the ‘67 Summer of Love. I remember hangin at a Music Festival there where they played with The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Show was headlined by Paul Revere & the Raiders. Good times back then!
smoking smiley

See, now I’m being the “dork”, but they were formed in 1968. In fact, until September or October of ‘68, they were still called The New Yardbirds. However, I’m willing to be corrected, as the memory can be a bit fuzzy reaching back that far.

Speaking of which:

[shop.jimmypage.com]

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 7, 2018 04:32

With a casual fan I'll let it go, unless they need a "correction", then I'll lay it on them...

Folks who know me know I'm the guy to ask when it comes to music...

My biggest problem is if someone "goes there", especially about The Stones, and I have a real hard time not rambling on and on... I've got myself conditioned not to start down that path on my own, but if someone leads the way, I gotta work to be casual about it!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 7, 2018 05:55

kovach
Woody24
DaveG
Woody24
DaveG
I
smoking smiley

Speaking of which:

[shop.jimmypage.com]

LOL!!! I completely missed the Beatles and Stones reference. Good one!!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 7, 2018 06:34

I've had a few.
I live in 'Frisco, so I usually get "saw them in 1983 at Candlestick."
I've also heard "saw the Beatles in '65 at Dodger Stadium. They wore brown suits." Brown suits?

One gal said she saw them in 1965 when Brian Keith was in the band.
I said that Brian Keith was the guy on Family Affair.

My sister, years ago, told me she saw the Monkees at the Hollywood Bowl in 1967.
I asked her about it recently and she said "I did?" I said if you didn't, how did you know where they played?

Also, Bill, in Rolling With The Stones, wrote about the 1978 tour that other songs played were Johnnie B. Good and Crazy Mama. As Art Fleming would say, "No, sorry."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 7, 2018 08:33

When it comes to bands you like, you tend to remember dates correctly. Others, I would have to dig out my tickets to see the exact dates. I remember seeing Heart sometime around 1990ish and Phil Collins around 88ish.
When I saw the Stones Jan 1998 (can't believe that was 20 years ago!) in Vancouver I told my boss I was going and he said he remembers seeing the Stones in Edmonton a long time ago sometime in the 70's!! I didn't want to tell him, no, you saw them in Edmonton less than 4 years ago on their Voodoo Lounge tour, not 20 years ago!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 7, 2018 10:19

This kind of conversations happen to me all the time !
Trying to stay diplomatical, but usually people trust me when I correct them
winking smiley

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:07

I can't remember the set list of the gig from Bowie in '76 I only remember Station To Station and Fame did I failed the test?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:13

The DIRTY WORK tour was fantastic - they only played one song from it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:52

GasLightStreet
The DIRTY WORK tour was fantastic - they only played one song from it.

True...I remember that Leipzig '87 show of the european leg when It Must Be Hell was the encore...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home