Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brown Sugar Altamont
Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: February 5, 2018 18:07

After listening Altamont show,I have one question:
Is MT on rythm guitar and KR on lead?

Re: Brown Sugar Altamont
Date: February 5, 2018 18:15

JMARCOU
After listening Altamont show,I have one question:
Is MT on rythm guitar and KR on lead?

If memory serves, Keith plays the main open G rhythm guitar, and the solo as well. Like he does on HTW.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 5, 2018 18:42

One of Keiths finest moments. Very nice weaving form Taylor if memory serves me right. One of the best versions thanks to Keiths sound and touch.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2018 18:48

Brown Sugar at Altamont. MT still playing that chordal chiming thing, Keith swamping and chugging the riff...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 5, 2018 20:17

GasLightStreet
Brown Sugar at Altamont. MT still playing that chordal chiming thing, Keith swamping and chugging the riff...

[www.youtube.com]

+ the solo.

Date: February 5, 2018 23:29

If memory serves the song was played for the first time live at Altamont on Taylor's request. Listening to this version I think It didn't go the way he liked it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 23:31 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 6, 2018 01:39

It's really dirty and sloppy and raw. took 'em forever to sort of tune-up.
Started tentative, then the noisy, crackling, kinda low-slung, slow-drag thing; sorta loping clumsily into a swing.
Perfect.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 01:41 by hopkins.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: February 6, 2018 01:53

Sixties turn the page to seventies in 4 minutes.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 6, 2018 02:59

I love this version. It's probably the closest live version to the studio recording, though it manages to sound even scuzzier than that. And I personally think it takes balls to go for a solo in open G.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 6, 2018 09:00

theimposter
I love this version. It's probably the closest live version to the studio recording, though it manages to sound even scuzzier than that. And I personally think it takes balls to go for a solo in open G.

Agreed.
Ballsy from the whole band in fact..especially considering the conditions!
Think it worked well.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: February 6, 2018 16:11

I thought it was a brilliant version.

In fact, I thought the whole show really cooked, especially after getting the @#$%& with the gun out of there. If you listen to the boots, you can clearly sense the tension drop after the incident, and the band really got into a groove.

This would be a great From the Vault release, but it would be too un-PC thanks to the @#$%&.

Date: February 6, 2018 16:23

It's a brilliant version, with a groove and sound they never managed to re-create, imo.

Date: February 6, 2018 18:23

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

+ the solo.

Let's just pretend that didn't happen.

Date: February 6, 2018 18:26

theimposter

Keith solos in open G on Honky Tonk Women. And You Got Me Rocking.

Although it doesn't take balls to play the solo in You Got Me Rocking.

That's a good bit, though: how many songs does Keith solo in in open G? Officially, of course. Brown Sugar doesn't count.

So far it's 2 that I can think of, the two I just mentioned.

Date: February 6, 2018 19:12

GasLightStreet
theimposter

That's a good bit, though: how many songs does Keith solo in in open G? Officially, of course. Brown Sugar doesn't count.

Around And Around + IORR on LYL.

Date: February 6, 2018 20:42

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
theimposter

Around And Around + IORR on LYL.

I forgot all about IORR from that tour being in open G - in Paris it's in G even!

Date: February 6, 2018 21:14

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

+ the solo.

Let's just pretend that didn't happen.

Very discreet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 21:18 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 7, 2018 00:22

I love how Mick goes "We're gonna do one for you which we just, uh ... we just, uh ... you've never heard it before 'cause we've just - written it!" -- supposedly because they weren't legally allowed to record in the US during the time of Muscle Shoals sessions, for Musician's Union related reasons. According to Stanley Booth. I wouldn't have thought much about that if Mick hadn't sounded so guilty during this introduction at Altamont. smiling smiley

Gotta agree this live version is fantastic. Another favourite of mine is Paris '70:
[www.youtube.com]

Faster, less subtle, more like the early '70s versions we're used to, but amazing drive with Mick Taylor on fire! Don't miss the outro.

Date: February 7, 2018 23:02

LieB
I love how Mick goes "We're gonna do one for you which we just, uh ... we just, uh ... you've never heard it before 'cause we've just - written it!" -- supposedly because they weren't legally allowed to record in the US during the time of Muscle Shoals sessions, for Musician's Union related reasons. According to Stanley Booth. I wouldn't have thought much about that if Mick hadn't sounded so guilty during this introduction at Altamont. smiling smiley.

Holy crap, that is true. "This is the first time we've played it... the very first time we've played it".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home