Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Steel Wheels SHM-CD (Japan-only release)
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 5, 2018 05:25

I find this edition better than the previous remasters from 2009. And somehow better (clearer sound) than the Bob Ludwig remasters from the 90's. Also it has definitely a fuller sound than the original CBS CD... Seems to me the best version on CD so far.
The information on the CD says it's cut from a new 2015 DSD master made from the original UK master tape. However it sounds louder than the original CD. So, possibly, a remaster was made in the process...

Any further comments?

Released in december 2015 with catalog number UICY-40162 (Universal Music)

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
[www.discogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 05:30 by kowalski.

Re: Steel Wheels SHM-CD (Japan-only release)
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 5, 2018 13:25

kowalski

The information on the CD says it's cut from a new 2015 DSD master made from the original UK master tape. However it sounds louder than the original CD. So, possibly, a remaster was made in the process...

In the Booklet as well as on [www.jpc.de] there's a description how this 2015 Remaster by Universal Music Japan was done: original UK-Master up-transferred into DSD, then edited in DSD, down-converted to PCM 176.4kHz/24bit, then glass-mastered using JVC's XRCD technology and moulded into Super High Material (SHM) with Platinum-coating:

The Japanese 2015 Remaster of 'Flashpoint' (UICY-40163) was done in the same way as 'Steel Wheels' and also released on 2-Dec-2015.

Germany's HiFi-Magazine "Audio" (No. 6-2016, p. 140) gave by the way 4 out of 5 stars for the sonic quality of this CD, see: [www.Sieveking-Sound.de] - (Reviews in German).

Date: February 5, 2018 13:50

kowalski

The information on the CD says it's cut from a new 2015 DSD master made from the original UK master tape.

Probably the UK-Masters are no Analogue-Tape because the original 'Steel Wheels' and 'Flashpoint' CDs were labeled 'DDD':

Looks like they were digitally recorded on PCM-Equipment.

[www.Universal-Music.co.jp] says only 'British original master' ....

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 5, 2018 14:52

kowalski
Also it has definitely a fuller sound than the original CBS CD... Seems to me the best version on CD so far.

What am I supposed to say?
It becomes brighter and thick as pea soup.

Fyi, the sonic superiority becomes more understandable when you listen "Another Green World" by Brian Eno in SHM-CD.
I am now deeply convinced that this 1975 recording means an early sign of Low, Heroes and The Joshua Tree.

Date: February 5, 2018 15:47

Thanks for the additional informations. What's strange is the SHM-CD sounds louder than the original CD and even a bit louder than the Virgin remaster. That's what makes me think it's not a flat transfer like the previous SHM-CD series (albums from 1971 to 1986) cut from hi-res files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 16:36 by kowalski.

Date: February 6, 2018 03:59

This outtake has some hissing noises.
I don't know whether they came up from analogue tape or digital data.

If SHM-CD is a flat transfer, even hissing noises might probably survive like Let It Bleed. I'm not sure...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 11:55 by Toru A.

Date: February 6, 2018 08:00

My guess is they most likely used the original master tape but during the process of transferring it to CD, they made the sound louder by compressing and limiting the original master.
The SHM-CD sounds good but I think it would sound even better without the unneeded added loudness...

Date: February 6, 2018 10:26

kowalski
Thanks for the additional informations. What's strange is the SHM-CD sounds louder than the original CD and even a bit louder than the Virgin remaster. That's what makes me think it's not a flat transfer like the previous SHM-CD series (albums from 1971 to 1986) cut from hi-res files.

Did any of the Virgin remasters sound louder at all? Did you perhaps mean the Universal remasters?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 6, 2018 18:36

kowalski
I find this edition better than the previous remasters from 2009. And somehow better (clearer sound) than the Bob Ludwig remasters from the 90's. Also it has definitely a fuller sound than the original CBS CD... Seems to me the best version on CD so far.

Any further comments?

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
[www.discogs.com]

The original CD didn't sound good compared to every later release. I think CD technology wasn't as good in 1989 as it was when Steel Wheels second release came about. People are always reinventing a Stones album by remixing it. Is it better? Many times yes but it's not the same as I grew-up with. I'm always looking for the better sound/mix, etc...

Date: February 6, 2018 23:32

exilestones
kowalski

Any further comments?

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
[www.discogs.com]

The original CD didn't sound good compared to every later release. I think CD technology wasn't as good in 1989 as it was when Steel Wheels second release came about. People are always reinventing a Stones album by remixing it. Is it better? Many times yes but it's not the same as I grew-up with. I'm always looking for the better sound/mix, etc...

When was a Stones album remixed?

Date: February 7, 2018 01:17

DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Did any of the Virgin remasters sound louder at all? Did you perhaps mean the Universal remasters?

The Virgin remasters sound louder than the original releases on CD (CBS/Columbia).

This particular SHM-CD reissue is between the Virgin's and the Universal's, loudnesswise.

Date: February 7, 2018 05:59

BTW,
these are more than I could have hoped for.
Outstanding format!

Date: February 7, 2018 12:50

Toru A

BTW, these are more than I could have hoped for.

All 4 Studio-Albums (+ The Very Best Of) of Mick are available in 44.1kHz/24bit on HDTracks, Qobuz, Highresaudio, AcousticSounds.

Date: February 7, 2018 13:00

kowalski

This particular SHM-CD reissue is between the Virgin's and the Universal's, loudnesswise.

Foobar says DR8-DR12 for the Japanese 2015 'Steel Wheels' SHM-CD (UICY-40162).

It says also DR10-DR12 for the Japanese 2015 'Flashpoint' SHM-CD (UICY-40163).

Looks like it's not brickwalled ....

Date: February 8, 2018 01:53

Not brickwalled but still compressed/pick limited. However it has possibly the most natural and smooth sound of all the iterations of SW on CD.

Date: February 8, 2018 13:36

kowalski,

I have a platinum SHM-CD sampler disk below.
If you are interested in this disk, I'll mail you for your information.
E-mail me.smiling smiley

Date: February 9, 2018 04:51

Hi Toru, thanks.

Do you notice any difference between SHM-CD and normal CD ? I have a couple of SHM-CD's but I can't really hear any improvement (except for a different mastering) over normal CD.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: February 9, 2018 13:26

When I see Steel Wheels in the title of a discussion thread, my first inclination is to skip it...

Date: February 9, 2018 14:47

ThePaleRider
When I see Steel Wheels in the title of a discussion thread, my first inclination is to skip it...

The first thing I think of is that I wanna hear Slipping Away, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh and Continental Drift..

For some reason, I can't get Hearts For Sale out of my head, either. A nice one.

Date: February 9, 2018 16:18

DandelionPowderman
ThePaleRider

The first thing I think of is that I wanna hear Slipping Away, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh and Continental Drift..

For some reason, I can't get Hearts For Sale out of my head, either. A nice one.

I hear you on the songs. It's just that 80's production that grates...on me, anyway. Which I suppose is why I checked into this thread, lol...

Date: February 9, 2018 16:19

ThePaleRider
DandelionPowderman
ThePaleRider

I hear you on the songs. It's just that 80's production that grates...on me, anyway. Which I suppose is why I checked into this thread, lol...

Try the demos instead. «Training Wheels».

Date: February 10, 2018 00:38

Okay...I will...haven't heard that. I'm going to confess that I listened to some SW after reading your comment...Thanks! I love alternate versions and mixes.

Date: February 10, 2018 10:39

kowalski
Hi Toru, thanks.

Do you notice any difference between SHM-CD and normal CD ? I have a couple of SHM-CD's but I can't really hear any improvement (except for a different mastering) over normal CD.

If you mean Platinum SHM-CD in turquoise blue disk as below , so far, at least it is the best version on CD, I think.
The power and the quantity of low-frequency have become obvious, not with a loudness level.
I think overall sound is well sculptured and sterically recognized than regular CDs.
It is said that omitting the DDP (Disc Description Protocol) in the cutting process could make a difference in sound wise.

Date: February 12, 2018 06:53

Well I compared the 2015 SHM-CD to the 1989 Japan original CD release (Sony 25DP-5566). My conclusion was they sound quite identical except for the louder sound on the SHM-CD.
Also while listening on headphones, I noticed for the first time the birds voices at the end of Continental Drift. It's quite possible the 25DP-5566 has a little more clarity that makes you hear background details.

Date: February 14, 2018 02:41

After an extensive listening test, my personal ranking for the best sounding CD's of Steel Wheels is like this :

1. Original Japanese CD (Sony 25DP-5566)

2. Original CBS CD (Columbia must be the same)

3. 2015 Remastered Japanese SHM-CD

4. 90's Bob Ludwig remastered Virgin CD

5. 2009 Remastered Universal CD

The original Japanese CD adds a little more clarity over the CBS CD though it's very subtle. The Original CBS CD is just fine. Both can sound a little thin though.
The SHM-CD from 2015 is really excellent, having the most natural sound of all, but the added loudness is really unnecessary and can be quite fatiguing for the ears...
The Bob Ludwig remaster is very good but has also this added loudness and may sound a bit darker compared to the original CD.
The 2009 remaster is just plain nonsense (compressed dynamics + loundness) and painful to the ears.

Date: February 14, 2018 04:36

kowalski
The 2009 remaster is just plain nonsense (compressed dynamics + loundness) and painful to the ears.

The 2009 remaster is not so bad when you listen them with lower volume by the handy CD players or Wi-Fi speakers.
It's a new discovery.

Btw, the birds voices at the end of Continental Drift can be listened on all versions.smiling smiley

Date: February 14, 2018 05:37

Toru A
kowalski

The 2009 remaster is not so bad when you listen them with lower volume by the handy CD players or Wi-Fi speakers.
It's a new discovery.

Btw, the birds voices at the end of Continental Drift can be listened on all versions.smiling smiley

True but the first time I noticed them was while listening to the 1989 Japan CD...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 00:42

The Flashpoint & Steel Wheels mini-LP SHM-CD, Japan issue, released December 2015 - do they have the CD booklets included? I like the photos of the band included in the original Flashpoint issue, cannot seem to find info on the booklets on these Japanese 2015 issues.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 1, 2021 01:06

IrelandCalling4
The Flashpoint & Steel Wheels mini-LP SHM-CD, Japan issue, released December 2015 - do they have the CD booklets included? I like the photos of the band included in the original Flashpoint issue, cannot seem to find info on the booklets on these Japanese 2015 issues.
Flashpoint came with a replica of the booklet that was included for original release. It is 12 pages book with photos we all know.
Additionally it has 32 pages black-and-white Japanese booklet, a replica of the OBI that was on original Japanese LP, another wrapped OBI for this SHM-CD edition and replicas of two stickers that were on original LP.

Steel Wheels has only a replica of the inner inner sleeve, reproduction of the first edition of British LP and similar Japanese extras - a reproduction of first edition Japanese LP OBI, OBI for SHM-CD and Japanese booklet.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 1, 2021 01:36

Thanks so much for that detailed rundown, ironbelly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home